BajaNomad

Sporting goods

josesbox - 1-6-2016 at 05:48 PM

Hey there, I have heard some static that people are getting taxed for sporting goods at the border crossings.....i.e. Im going to La Ventana to go kiteboarding. I hear people are getting charged for their kites and surfboards. Is this the case?

woody with a view - 1-6-2016 at 06:01 PM

no. personal use is okay. if you bring 5 sets they'll have their hand out.

BajaBlanca - 1-6-2016 at 06:54 PM

Actually, I do not remember where I read it but this is true - if you have more than one kite, you will be taxes on them.

As always, it depends on the customs agent.

bajabuddha - 1-7-2016 at 03:04 AM

If the border agent tries to 'tax' you, have a notepad handy. Ask for his name, badge number and demand a receipt BEFORE paying a peso. Betcha you get sent through w/o charge.

DENNIS - 1-7-2016 at 07:26 AM

Don't throw down the gauntlet with people in power. It's a sure method for disaster.

Hooker33 - 1-7-2016 at 08:02 AM

I agree with Dennis, not a good idea to get in the face of a local official.

gnukid - 1-7-2016 at 08:27 AM

They are charging tax for more than approximately 2 kites and 2 boards per person, but the amount is not high, and if you keep the receipt you can get a refund when you return with the gear. No big deal.

The same goes for most items, 2 dvds, 2 tvs, 2 computers, 2 of everything that you would normally use. New items in plastic are more likely to garner attention for importation tax.

I had a friend who was bringing gear for family and had 17 kites and 7 boards and paid $mn700 about $us45 and the airlines charged nothing so it seems pretty easy to bring as much as you want. Might as well bring 2 oriental carpets and 2 arabian dessert tents too yahoo.

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by gnukid]

RnR - 1-7-2016 at 09:27 AM

There should not be any tax on used gear for your personal use during your visit. Two or three kites per person is not an issue.

A problem might arise if you have a bunch of new gear and Mex Customs thinks that it might potentially be for sale rather than for "your" personal use.

The tax rate is 16% of the current retail value of the item. Hopefully, Mex Customs will believe that the price of a new kite (1,200 - 1800) is actually in pesos rather than $$ .....

AKgringo - 1-7-2016 at 10:34 AM

I agree with Dennis and Hooker about not taunting the officials, but wouldn't it be fun to strap a couple of pair of skis to the top of my car and watch the reactions?

A side benefit would be that you can tell you have driven south far enough when nobody knows what they are for!

I apologize in advance for the hijack.

sd - 1-7-2016 at 10:54 AM

Customs form has allowed items, with fishing poles it is 4 per person. I had six poles when landing at San Jose Del Cabo and was pulled aside and legally charged about $60US for the 2 additional poles, no refund when I brought them back with me.
Made many other trips, was never charged. They gave me full paperwork and a receipt. Others have been charged also for having more than allowed.

Josesbox.....U2U

AKgringo - 1-11-2016 at 06:01 PM

I replied to your U2U last week, but it is still marked as 'not read'. No big deal, but if you come back to this thread, you may want to check your inbox.

[Edited on 1-12-2016 by AKgringo]

Cyanide41 - 1-13-2016 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
If the border agent tries to 'tax' you, have a notepad handy. Ask for his name, badge number and demand a receipt BEFORE paying a peso. Betcha you get sent through w/o charge.

The time I got charged Taxes for bringing in "auto parts" the agent walked me into the office and I paid at a window. They give you a receipt. This was in San Ysidro about 2 years ago. It was very "professional."