Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sporting goods
josesbox

Mood: Groovy

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 05:48 PM
Sporting goods

Hey there, I have heard some static that people are getting taxed for sporting goods at the border crossings.....i.e. Im going to La Ventana to go kiteboarding. I hear people are getting charged for their kites and surfboards. Is this the case?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 06:01 PM

no. personal use is okay. if you bring 5 sets they'll have their hand out.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 06:54 PM

Actually, I do not remember where I read it but this is true - if you have more than one kite, you will be taxes on them.

As always, it depends on the customs agent.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 03:04 AM

If the border agent tries to 'tax' you, have a notepad handy. Ask for his name, badge number and demand a receipt BEFORE paying a peso. Betcha you get sent through w/o charge.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 07:26 AM

Don't throw down the gauntlet with people in power. It's a sure method for disaster.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hooker33
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 08:02 AM

I agree with Dennis, not a good idea to get in the face of a local official.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 08:27 AM

They are charging tax for more than approximately 2 kites and 2 boards per person, but the amount is not high, and if you keep the receipt you can get a refund when you return with the gear. No big deal.

The same goes for most items, 2 dvds, 2 tvs, 2 computers, 2 of everything that you would normally use. New items in plastic are more likely to garner attention for importation tax.

I had a friend who was bringing gear for family and had 17 kites and 7 boards and paid $mn700 about $us45 and the airlines charged nothing so it seems pretty easy to bring as much as you want. Might as well bring 2 oriental carpets and 2 arabian dessert tents too yahoo.

[Edited on 1-7-2016 by gnukid]
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 09:27 AM

There should not be any tax on used gear for your personal use during your visit. Two or three kites per person is not an issue.

A problem might arise if you have a bunch of new gear and Mex Customs thinks that it might potentially be for sale rather than for "your" personal use.

The tax rate is 16% of the current retail value of the item. Hopefully, Mex Customs will believe that the price of a new kite (1,200 - 1800) is actually in pesos rather than $$ .....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 10:34 AM

I agree with Dennis and Hooker about not taunting the officials, but wouldn't it be fun to strap a couple of pair of skis to the top of my car and watch the reactions?

A side benefit would be that you can tell you have driven south far enough when nobody knows what they are for!

I apologize in advance for the hijack.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2016 at 10:54 AM

Customs form has allowed items, with fishing poles it is 4 per person. I had six poles when landing at San Jose Del Cabo and was pulled aside and legally charged about $60US for the 2 additional poles, no refund when I brought them back with me.
Made many other trips, was never charged. They gave me full paperwork and a receipt. Others have been charged also for having more than allowed.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-10-2016 at 12:54 PM
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-11-2016 at 06:01 PM
Josesbox.....U2U

I replied to your U2U last week, but it is still marked as 'not read'. No big deal, but if you come back to this thread, you may want to check your inbox.

[Edited on 1-12-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2016 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
If the border agent tries to 'tax' you, have a notepad handy. Ask for his name, badge number and demand a receipt BEFORE paying a peso. Betcha you get sent through w/o charge.

The time I got charged Taxes for bringing in "auto parts" the agent walked me into the office and I paid at a window. They give you a receipt. This was in San Ysidro about 2 years ago. It was very "professional."

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.