BajaNomad

Drunk Truck Maintainence

Osprey - 1-17-2016 at 09:07 AM

Drunk Truck Maintenance

Yesterday when I woke up it was cold and blustery. As soon as my feet hit the floor I encountered a series of household emergencies I couldn’t avoid so my morning was shot. Fortunately I was able to surround them and almost all were rendered benign so about ten I had my usual couple of Bloody Marys to celebrate my small successes (I forgot I had no breakfast) and went ahead with my plan to spend part of the day working on my old truck.

The wind was still blowing but it had warmed up nicely as I got my tools and walked out to the truck; I was comfortable in just jeans and T shirt. Not long into the process I discovered that quite by accident I had combined two of my favorite pastimes: getting drunk and working on my old truck. This was a real surprise and a first for me – I got a little giddy deciding which tool to use and how to go about it. Must be that sober people don’t have to even think about those things; genes and instincts kick in and that all comes down mostly automatic.

I finally remembered that the plan was to tighten two belts, clean the battery terminals and check all the fluids. If that all worked out the tires could all use some more air from my old beater compressor which I clip to the battery to operate. There were some glitches: I just go by sight, by size when I choose sockets because I could never figure out the 19/23rds or the 11.4 mls and there was a lot of fumbling and silly mumbling. Once I found a socket for a bolt head I would put it in my pocket so I could remember which bolt it was for. I filled up all four pockets in my jeans.

In my fuzzy condition I couldn’t find my good breaker bar in the bodega to move and hold the alternator so I used a great big hammer. When I finished I was pretty much satisfied with the results. I’ll know more when I actually drive the thing to the store tomorrow for more Clamato and limes. (Found my breaker bar this morning in my fish box)

durrelllrobert - 1-17-2016 at 10:22 AM

According to my calculations 19/23 is equal to 2.3 BM (Bloody Marys) or 1 giant bm (bowel movement). Take your pick.

woody with a view - 1-17-2016 at 10:27 AM

breaker bar in the tackle box for persuading the fish to get in the boat?

Osprey - 1-17-2016 at 10:44 AM

Thanks guys, I was hoping to get a couple "Been There, Done That's".

vandenberg - 1-17-2016 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
Thanks guys, I was hoping to get a couple "Been There, Done That's".

You think for a minute I'm going to admit to that?:saint::biggrin:

AKgringo - 1-17-2016 at 11:42 AM

Alcohol IS Not for working on trucks! It is for watching someone else work on the truck, while telling them how it should be done, of course.

bajabuddha - 1-17-2016 at 12:49 PM

Alcohol and gasoline do NOT mix!

Therefore, do NOT drink gasoline. :cool:

bajadogs - 1-17-2016 at 01:08 PM

I look forward to the complexity of retirement.

pauldavidmena - 1-19-2016 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

One doesn't have to be retired to seek the guidance of the Blessed Bloody Mary. Or so I've heard. ;D

MMc - 1-19-2016 at 02:19 PM

I can't say I have started in on the truck a bit lit, But I have become a little lit while doing so.

Breaker bar are just that good for breaking something, stuck nuts or fish heads.

BajaBlanca - 1-19-2016 at 03:29 PM

and the bloody Mary's at Rexe's right on the beach in Los Barriles is where I think you should drive the truck to and see if it is up to snuff! Those are so heavenly and we thank David and Jill for getting us hooked on those. Oh me oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy are they good.

Good story Osprey!

carlosg - 1-19-2016 at 07:18 PM

...without the intention to "hijack"....

...today after work I ended up in "south bay" in SD just to sit in my old Tacoma, rest and enjoy the view at the end of the day... no tools, no BD but there I was... I took my "smart" phone and started to surf the web... I ended up in Baja Nomad's site and saw the familiar word: "dr..k", I read the thread and enjoyed it very much, then I went ahead and found out who the author is: Osprey... another great story...THANK you Sir!!!... I was not enjoying a BD but a (couple) ML/C-Ch (miller light, clamato-chelada) ...then I got the buzz and got kind of inspired by the view... here's some pics....

..its not Baja but its beautiful as well...

20160119_165144.jpg - 107kB

...even some urban art to go along..

20160119_165215.jpg - 107kB

..and of course "the bridge"...

20160119_165249.jpg - 114kB

...and here's a couple views from the Coast Guard Base in SD from last week visit...

20160111_194529.jpg - 116kB

20160111_211232.jpg - 100kB

durrelllrobert - 1-20-2016 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

One doesn't have to be retired to seek the guidance of the Blessed Bloody Mary. Or so I've heard. ;D

I thought the original Mexican name was la sangre de María (the blood of Mary) made with tequilla instead of vodka.