Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drunk Truck Maintainence
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 09:07 AM
Drunk Truck Maintainence

Drunk Truck Maintenance

Yesterday when I woke up it was cold and blustery. As soon as my feet hit the floor I encountered a series of household emergencies I couldn’t avoid so my morning was shot. Fortunately I was able to surround them and almost all were rendered benign so about ten I had my usual couple of Bloody Marys to celebrate my small successes (I forgot I had no breakfast) and went ahead with my plan to spend part of the day working on my old truck.

The wind was still blowing but it had warmed up nicely as I got my tools and walked out to the truck; I was comfortable in just jeans and T shirt. Not long into the process I discovered that quite by accident I had combined two of my favorite pastimes: getting drunk and working on my old truck. This was a real surprise and a first for me – I got a little giddy deciding which tool to use and how to go about it. Must be that sober people don’t have to even think about those things; genes and instincts kick in and that all comes down mostly automatic.

I finally remembered that the plan was to tighten two belts, clean the battery terminals and check all the fluids. If that all worked out the tires could all use some more air from my old beater compressor which I clip to the battery to operate. There were some glitches: I just go by sight, by size when I choose sockets because I could never figure out the 19/23rds or the 11.4 mls and there was a lot of fumbling and silly mumbling. Once I found a socket for a bolt head I would put it in my pocket so I could remember which bolt it was for. I filled up all four pockets in my jeans.

In my fuzzy condition I couldn’t find my good breaker bar in the bodega to move and hold the alternator so I used a great big hammer. When I finished I was pretty much satisfied with the results. I’ll know more when I actually drive the thing to the store tomorrow for more Clamato and limes. (Found my breaker bar this morning in my fish box)

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 10:22 AM

According to my calculations 19/23 is equal to 2.3 BM (Bloody Marys) or 1 giant bm (bowel movement). Take your pick.

Bob Durrell
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 10:27 AM

breaker bar in the tackle box for persuading the fish to get in the boat?

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 10:44 AM

Thanks guys, I was hoping to get a couple "Been There, Done That's".
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
Thanks guys, I was hoping to get a couple "Been There, Done That's".

You think for a minute I'm going to admit to that?:saint::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 11:42 AM

Alcohol IS Not for working on trucks! It is for watching someone else work on the truck, while telling them how it should be done, of course.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 12:49 PM

Alcohol and gasoline do NOT mix!

Therefore, do NOT drink gasoline. :cool:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2016 at 01:08 PM

I look forward to the complexity of retirement.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

One doesn't have to be retired to seek the guidance of the Blessed Bloody Mary. Or so I've heard. ;D

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 02:19 PM

I can't say I have started in on the truck a bit lit, But I have become a little lit while doing so.

Breaker bar are just that good for breaking something, stuck nuts or fish heads.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 03:29 PM

and the bloody Mary's at Rexe's right on the beach in Los Barriles is where I think you should drive the truck to and see if it is up to snuff! Those are so heavenly and we thank David and Jill for getting us hooked on those. Oh me oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy are they good.

Good story Osprey!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 1-19-2016 at 07:18 PM

...without the intention to "hijack"....

...today after work I ended up in "south bay" in SD just to sit in my old Tacoma, rest and enjoy the view at the end of the day... no tools, no BD but there I was... I took my "smart" phone and started to surf the web... I ended up in Baja Nomad's site and saw the familiar word: "dr..k", I read the thread and enjoyed it very much, then I went ahead and found out who the author is: Osprey... another great story...THANK you Sir!!!... I was not enjoying a BD but a (couple) ML/C-Ch (miller light, clamato-chelada) ...then I got the buzz and got kind of inspired by the view... here's some pics....

..its not Baja but its beautiful as well...

20160119_165144.jpg - 107kB

...even some urban art to go along..

20160119_165215.jpg - 107kB

..and of course "the bridge"...

20160119_165249.jpg - 114kB

...and here's a couple views from the Coast Guard Base in SD from last week visit...

20160111_194529.jpg - 116kB

20160111_211232.jpg - 100kB

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-20-2016 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  

One doesn't have to be retired to seek the guidance of the Blessed Bloody Mary. Or so I've heard. ;D

I thought the original Mexican name was la sangre de María (the blood of Mary) made with tequilla instead of vodka.

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.