BajaNomad

Vehicles to avoid driving to Baja

anchor007 - 3-13-2016 at 09:21 AM

We're planning to drive from Canada to Todos Santos at the beginning of 2017. Just starting to do research now.
Is there any vehicles we should avoid driving down that might be a target for carjacking..
we were considering a black ford f150 truck but worried we might be a target for carjacking? should we consider a small suv like a jeep cherokee instead? It will just be me and my husband driving with our small bulldog. Any thoughts?

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by anchor007]

Howard - 3-13-2016 at 09:27 AM

There are far, far more car jackings north of the Baja border than in Baja.

Drive what you would normally drive and have fun.

BigBearRider - 3-13-2016 at 10:05 AM

I wouldn't be concerned about an F-150. It sounds like this may be your first trip, or the first in a while. I think you may surprised by the cars Bajacalifornios drive. There are plenty of new and expensive trucks around.

Sandlefoot - 3-13-2016 at 10:05 AM

When you are afraid to be here you become a target. You might want to rethink coming at all! In future posts you will find almost all people that have been here find it very safe and comfortable. There are far more problems in the states than you will see down here, unless you are looking like something bad happening to you. You usually find what you are looking for!!

I have been driving the length of Baja for over 16 years and all I have seen is all the road side indicators of inattentive drivers, not hijackings!

Pay attention to the road and other drivers. Drive defensively and be safe. Enjoy this place!!!

All is well in La Paz

Happy Trails

chuckie - 3-13-2016 at 10:15 AM

Put a sign in the window} NO CARJACKING

MMc - 3-13-2016 at 10:27 AM

I would be far more concerned about finding auto parts then getting car jacked.
make sure your auto is 100% and you'll be fine. Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota Nissan, VW all have dealerships and you can get parts. There are still small towns that most leave their autos unlocked. Go!!!! don't be afraid to meet the locals. Enjoy all that Baja servers up.

Many years ago (30) we watched a peugeot being towed back to the states from Bay of L A because of a lack of parts. There was no phone service at the time. Today Baja is much more connected to the rest of the world.

chippy - 3-13-2016 at 10:42 AM

I had a black truck once. It was ok in norcal but terrible in Mexico.

jbcoug - 3-13-2016 at 11:02 AM

They would really have to be slumming to carjack my old F-150.

Whale-ista - 3-13-2016 at 11:36 AM

Welcome to Nomad!
You'll be fine in a Ford. Lots of them down there, black included.

If you have after market add-ons that increase value, they may attract potentially unwanted interest: fancy wheels, hard-to-get tires, blazing bright light bars, ORV modifications etc.

(I occasionally get questions/comments/compliments on the lift kit on my small truck, in the US as well as Baja- but it's too old to be of theft interest, and not a 4WD.)

Always use the normal safety procedures as anywhere: Keep valuables stored out of sight, and personal items secured and/or carried on your person during security checkpoint stops. I suggest keeping cameras, passport, cellphone etc. in a small bag behind the driver's seat, and take it with you whenever you leave the vehicle.

Also- often people lose things, vs. having them stolen. (not trucks - usually...)

Good news is- Overall, here are very honest people in Baja who will help you if you that happens- as a recent post about a lost bag/camera in Santa Ines indicates.

Have fun!

mtgoat666 - 3-13-2016 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by anchor007  
We're planning to drive from Canada to Todos Santos at the beginning of 2017. Just starting to do research now.
Is there any vehicles we should avoid driving down that might be a target for carjacking..
we were considering a black ford f150 truck but worried we might be a target for carjacking? should we consider a small suv like a jeep cherokee instead? It will just be me and my husband driving with our small bulldog. Any thoughts?

Car jackings are as rare as hens teeth.

But do not drive at night. The few, rare reports of car jackings have usually been at night.

Lee - 3-13-2016 at 11:45 AM

I am a staunch proponent of car alarms. Siren would have independent battery that will not be effected if car battery is disabled.

Beyond that a kill switch so that car can't be started -- and driven off.

AKgringo - 3-13-2016 at 11:57 AM

I roll the dice every time I drive my 2002 Kia Sportage down the peninsula, because they are not sold or serviced in Mexico. When a radiator tank cracked in La Paz, my mechanic, and even the parts house were amazed to find there was one that had been in his inventory for years!

I got my money's worth of service out of that fun little rig years ago, and if I abuse it to the point where I have to leave it behind and fly home, I'm OK with that. Kind of like Baja real estate, I don't drive something I can't afford to walk away from!

Car jacking isn't something I spend any time worrying about. One more thing, don't over plan your trip, stay flexible, and expect the unexpected! Also, if you have a choice of colors, black would be my last choice to park in the sun.

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by AKgringo]

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

That`s a good advice! Like chucky has a sign on his forehead: "Low IQ". That everybody knows not to discuss w/ him anything which affords thinking. And not to take him too seriously but giving him a credit like an elementary school dropout. (The above posts verifies that statement)
To the question: Anything which can not be shipped on a panga is safe. A quad i.e. is not safe. If stolen, be sure it will be shipped with a panga to the mainland the same night. There is a huge BlackMarket in Mexico City where all stolen goods are sold. Police can not track those numerous items counting by the thousands and more every day. Very feasible business! So everything like an F150 is safe. Be sure, as it is said already, inside the US carjacking is far more numerous. Anything which can not be shipped in a panga - that are those Mexican fishing boats - will be found again in Baja.

woody with a view - 3-13-2016 at 12:02 PM

the vehicle to avoid is the oncoming tractor trailer that is 3 feet into your lane. it's called "The Mexican Orgasm" for a reason!

willardguy - 3-13-2016 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I am a staunch proponent of car alarms. Siren would have independent battery that will not be effected if car battery is disabled.

good advice, obviously not gonna help in a carjacking, but will stop a theft.
type of vehicle? just like us, thieves love 4WD toyotas! ;)

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by willardguy]

David K - 3-13-2016 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

good advice, obviously not gonna help in a carjacking, but will stop a theft.
type of vehicle? just like us, thieves love 4WD toyotas! ;)

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by willardguy]

:light::lol::cool:

4x4abc - 3-13-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

That`s a good advice! Like chucky has a sign on his forehead: "Low IQ". That everybody knows not to discuss w/ him anything which affords thinking. And not to take him too seriously but giving him a credit like an elementary school dropout. (The above posts verifies that statement)
To the question: Anything which can not be shipped on a panga is safe. A quad i.e. is not safe. If stolen, be sure it will be shipped with a panga to the mainland the same night. There is a huge BlackMarket in Mexico City where all stolen goods are sold. Police can not track those numerous items counting by the thousands and more every day. Very feasible business! So everything like an F150 is safe. Be sure, as it is said already, inside the US carjacking is far more numerous. Anything which can not be shipped in a panga - that are those Mexican fishing boats - will be found again in Baja.

won't work! People with low IQ will not understand the sign "Low IQ"

4x4abc - 3-13-2016 at 12:53 PM

like some animals, thieves love shiny things.
So, don't wash your truck.

Don't even have a charger cable for an iPhone visible inside - they will brake your window otherwise.

Don't show/indicate any value and you'll be fine.

chippy - 3-13-2016 at 01:03 PM

Thats funny advice from a benz owner.

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.mx/content/mexico/mpc/mpc_mexi...

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2016 at 01:36 PM

i'd be more worried about traveling across California USA...

last year 176,745 cars were stolen in California

if we do the math that's

484 stolen cars a day

and that's

20 cars an hour or
one stolen car every 3 minutes

amazing...it's safer to cross the border

norte - 3-13-2016 at 01:44 PM

Don't go. If you look back to about a month ago an attempted car jacking and kidnapping put a man in the hospital with multiple injuries including a broken leg. How quickly some of these people forget.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81958

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by norte]

mtgoat666 - 3-13-2016 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
i'd be more worried about traveling across California USA...

last year 176,745 cars were stolen in California

if we do the math that's

484 stolen cars a day

and that's

20 cars an hour or
one stolen car every 3 minutes

amazing...it's safer to cross the border

California has more than 10 times the population of Baja.
Urban California is safer than urban Baja. You are safer in downtown LA than downtown TJ.

Let's compare the car theft rate per capita for California and Baja, eh?

chuckie - 3-13-2016 at 02:14 PM

Why? Is he going to Kalifornia? Why not compare it to Poland or Kazakstan?

mtgoat666 - 3-13-2016 at 02:18 PM

Why? Is he going to Kalifornia?

I don't think he is going to California. From the sounds of it he appears to feel uneasy in California.

:lol:

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
like some animals, thieves love shiny things.
So, don't wash your truck.

Don't even have a charger cable for an iPhone visible inside - they will brake your window otherwise.

Don't show/indicate any value and you'll be fine.

That`s a very important and good advice! I know about break ins b/c of some cash/coins inside a car. Piggy Bank amount! Something one member of our team experienced: Do not let a car w/ things inside unattended on a beach. A car was opened w/ a special key and all content was robbed. Special key: The thieves have keys without "profile" for each brand > one for Ford. One for Chevy etc. >That key without "profile" opens any Ford, etc, no matter if Pick-Up or SUV or Sedan. But only if values are visible. No camera, no cash visible = no interest. BTW, not washing / dirt, other good advice! It protects the paint against blistering sun when left in the open :light:

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2016 at 02:39 PM

...A car was opened w/ a special key and all content was robbed. Special key: The thieves have keys without "profile" for each brand > one for Ford. One for Chevy etc. >That key without "profile" opens any Ford, etc, no matter if Pick-Up or SUV or Sedan....

I think baja is a little more "low-tech"

hammer.jpg - 50kB

Correcamino - 3-13-2016 at 03:04 PM

I agree with the poster who worried about driving an uncommon vehicle way down south (BCS). I was very lucky that my old Subaru Legacy wagon never dropped dead on my visits to La Paz/La Ventana. I used to look around the auto shops in La Paz (there are dozens) and NEVER see a Subaru being worked on. Very few on the streets down south, that's for sure. I now drive a Nissan Xterra, which is not a common vehicle either but shares a drive train with many other Nissans that are quite popular in BCS. Probably fairly easy to get parts/repair.

motoged - 3-13-2016 at 03:05 PM

Some of those special keys require certain operator skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91_K-s4pMM

AKgringo - 3-13-2016 at 03:24 PM

I don't lock the doors on my Sportage. Why encourage someone to use a 'special key' on my window when the side windows on the soft top open with a zipper, or a knife?

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 03:47 PM

...A car was opened w/ a special key and all content was robbed. Special key: The thieves have keys without "profile" for each brand > one for Ford. One for Chevy etc. >That key without "profile" opens any Ford, etc, no matter if Pick-Up or SUV or Sedan....

Folks, don`t frighten off potential Baja visitors! Especially if you run a business! I think the low tech instruments are used only if a car is left alone in a very remote location. Like at the end of Bahia de Conception.(a dangerous spot if a car is completely left behind) But is that different to the US??? NOPE ! There is no such robing this way in big cities! Not even in communities with only some hundred folks.
BTW. the low tech instruments shown are all the same, just digitally minimized one to another LOL!

norte - 3-13-2016 at 04:33 PM

Folks, don`t frighten off potential Baja visitors! Especially if you run a business! I think the low tech instruments are used only if a car is left alone in a very remote location. Like at the end of Bahia de Conception.(a dangerous spot if a car is completely left behind) But is that different to the US??? NOPE ! There is no such robing this way in big cities! Not even in communities with only some hundred folks.
BTW. the low tech instruments shown are all the same, just digitally minimized one to another LOL!

BEWARE anyone who would try your safety to make a buck.

bajabuddha - 3-13-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

BEWARE anyone who would try your safety to make a buck.

What's this world coming to???? HATEFUL TROLLS ATTACKING HATEFUL TROLLS......

It's like a *fill in the blank________* convention here.... :D

4x4abc - 3-13-2016 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Thats funny advice from a benz owner.

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.mx/content/mexico/mpc/mpc_mexi...

haven't washed my truck the last 3 years
before that, I washed it once a year
now I have given up

my truck is a workhorse
it is strong and capable - that's all I care about

and I use it like others use their pickup - sand, rocks, cement

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by 4x4abc]

David K - 3-13-2016 at 06:23 PM

Where's the "Like" button here? :light:

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 07:04 PM

A Mercedes G! The draft horse under the work trucks. And if it is a Diesel --- even better. Will cover about 1.000.000 miles without trouble. YES: the LIKE button ??? Years ago I owned a Unimog. Same pattern!

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by JC43]

chuckie - 3-13-2016 at 07:12 PM

UNIMOGS RULE!

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 07:17 PM

Chucky, you once said you agree with my opinion `grudgingly´.
I do agree w/ you 100% this time without any animosity.

mtgoat666 - 3-13-2016 at 07:42 PM

haven't washed my truck the last 3 years
before that, I washed it once a year
now I have given up

my truck is a workhorse
it is strong and capable - that's all I care about

and I use it like others use their pickup - sand, rocks, cement

You are a stupendous gas bag. You really need a bigger vehicle, I don't know how you fit that ego in such a modest size car.
Dk better watch out! you will soon surpass him and claim title of bloviator-in-chief!

chuckie - 3-13-2016 at 08:06 PM

JC...My Dad bought a UNIMOG someplace and brought it home...We used it as an everything vehicle....In its lowest gear and range it had a top speed of.000000000000000000002 MPH.....I think it was left when we sold the place...

chavycha - 3-13-2016 at 08:50 PM

Good advice already. We have made the drive from Oregon several times and have spent several months kicking around the desert. We just bought a "new" rig this past month which will probably be headed to Baja with us next fall. Some criteria:

1. Reliable enough that you won't worry about that 300km of no gas, no services, no nothing after El Rosario. If you feel comfortable driving it across the state/provence, it should be fine to take to Baja and back. If you worry about it going around the block to the store, maybe not a great plan.

2. Easy to service and find parts for. I know of a few people who have been stuck for weeks plus just waiting on parts. Breaking down in Cabo you'll probably be able to find whatever you need. In Punta Prieta? Not so much. If you can do your own work, you'll save some time on trying to find the local mechanic, who is often out of town/taking a nap/drinking heavily/etc. Would I take a Chevy/Ford/Toyota to Baja? Sure. A Volkswagen (especially a post-2000 one) or a Maserati? Hell no.

3. Nice enough that it's comfortable to travel in. It's a LONG way from here to there, especially if there is Baja Sur.

4. Not nice enough that you're going to worry when you rake it with a cactus, high-center it on a rock, or get it stuck on the beach. It will happen, even if you don't go looking for it. HELLO POTHOLES!

5. Baja is TOUGH on vehicles. Especially suspension parts if you get off the beaten path a bit. I'd hesitate to take something super-nice down there for that reason alone.

6. If you pay attention to #4, you won't need to consider the theft thing. A lot of folks in Baja drive real nice rigs - you'll be surprised at the standard of living in some of the smaller towns.

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by chavycha]

4x4abc - 3-13-2016 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You are a stupendous gas bag. You really need a bigger vehicle, I don't know how you fit that ego in such a modest size car.
Dk better watch out! you will soon surpass him and claim title of bloviator-in-chief!

Yes gas! That's what my girlfriend complains about. But what shall I do? Less beer? Less meat? Less green stuff? More pasta? So many choices.

Found a solution for my gargantuan ego. The cloud! Unlimited storage - always accessible. Super cool! No need to stuff it in my small rig. Would not fit - you are absolutely right.

Time for a fresh beer.

wessongroup - 3-13-2016 at 09:20 PM

Like your approach to life :):) ^^ .. and I bet it is cold

JC43 - 3-13-2016 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yes gas! That's what my girlfriend complains about. But what shall I do? Less beer? Less meat? Less green stuff? More pasta? So many choices.

Found a solution for my gargantuan ego. The cloud! Unlimited storage - always accessible. Super cool! No need to stuff it in my small rig. Would not fit - you are absolutely right.

Time for a fresh beer.

1 question: What US truck/SUV of this size can carry more load than an MB G?
2. question: What is an bloviator? >That is Esperanto? Or Spanglish? >Mistake in writing? Does that has something to do w/ a blowjob? :fire:
3. question: What US SUV/truck needs less gas than a MB G? >>> not knowing the engine size of this one. If its a Diesel, no US vehicle can beat the gas mileage of an MB G.
4. question: What vehicle can carry more ego than an MB?

BajaMama - 3-14-2016 at 09:27 AM

I drive my '12 Acura MDX (yes guys I have an extra spare...). It requires premium gas which I can find all the way down, no problem. If I remember right premium is 92 octane in Baja, 93 in Baja sur (my car loves it!). I belong to a travel club and put the magnet signs on both sides. Dirty is better! The only place I would worry about a car jacking in TJ to Ensenada. Seems to me once you are away from the megatropolises crime is minimal. I don't stop after crossing until Walmart in Ensenada. I feel pretty safe once south of Ensenada.

bajaguy - 3-14-2016 at 09:31 AM

Ensenada and the Valle de Guadalupe are great places. You should stop and explore sometimes instead of blasting through

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I drive my '12 Acura MDX (yes guys I have an extra spare...). It requires premium gas which I can find all the way down, no problem. If I remember right premium is 92 octane in Baja, 93 in Baja sur (my car loves it!). I belong to a travel club and put the magnet signs on both sides. Dirty is better! The only place I would worry about a car jacking in TJ to Ensenada. Seems to me once you are away from the megatropolises crime is minimal. I don't stop after crossing until Walmart in Ensenada. I feel pretty safe once south of Ensenada.

4x4abc - 3-14-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

why would anyone need 2 spares - I almost never use the original

Barry A. - 3-14-2016 at 10:55 AM

Harald----------In my some 50 years plus of driving back-roads in Baja and Sonora (and in the States) I always carried 2 spares, and had to use them at least 10 times. Two times as I remember I had to borrow a spare because 2 were not enough. I do drive a heavy rig with an oversize custom CALLEN camper, and that accounted for many of my flats and destroyed tires, but still the security of having 2 spares was always a comfort for me. Most of my tires were oversize, and top-name-brand, but still flats and rim-cuts do happen with annoying regularity. As a professional off-road driver I do know how to drive, but this still happened from time to time.

durrelllrobert - 3-14-2016 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by anchor007  

Do you live in Alberta?
Calgary police are warning drivers to be aware of their surroundings and not to resist, in the wake of two separate carjackings in a 24-hour period this weekend.

Carjacking in Taradale has Calgary police on the hunt

"The theft of a vehicle with violence obviously brings it to a whole new level," acting Insp. Phil Hoetger said Sunday.

"That is the part that concerns us."

A woman was in her van in the Market Mall parking lot Friday around 9:30 p.m. when a dark-skinned man with a medium build ordered her to get out while pointing a gun at her, Hoetger said.

Police believe the man was working with two other men in a small four-door red car.

The woman's vehicle was a silver 2003 Chevrolet Venture van, licence BHH 5604.

On Saturday, a man was driving northbound on Tarrington Rd. N.E. just south of Taradale Dr. when his white 2012 Ford F-150 was rear ended by a Dodge Ram 3500 at about 9:15 p.m.

The victim's licence plate is BPZ 0235.

The driver of the Dodge truck, a Caucasian male with a European accent, punched the victim in the face before getting in the victim's truck and driving off, while the Dodge followed with two occupants.

The suspect driver is 5' 10" with a stocky build, short dark hair and wore a grey hoodie and jeans.

Police can't say if the incidents are connected at this time but are urging drivers to take precautions.

Be aware of your surroundings, do not resist if approached, avoid leaving vehicles running and unlocked and when inside a car keep the doors locked, police warn.

4x4abc - 3-14-2016 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Harald----------In my some 50 years plus of driving back-roads in Baja and Sonora (and in the States) I always carried 2 spares, and had to use them at least 10 times. Two times as I remember I had to borrow a spare because 2 were not enough. I do drive a heavy rig with an oversize custom CALLEN camper, and that accounted for many of my flats and destroyed tires, but still the security of having 2 spares was always a comfort for me. Most of my tires were oversize, and top-name-brand, but still flats and rim-cuts do happen with annoying regularity. As a professional off-road driver I do know how to drive, but this still happened from time to time.

wow - I am surprised to read that from a pro!

I was convinced that the right tire size/volume for the vehicle weight combined with the appropriate tire pressure choice would eliminate flats.

In the early days when I was using stock size 205R16 and slightly bigger 31x10.50 I sometimes wished to have a 2nd spare on my Baja trips.
One flat a day was not uncommon.

Then my Baja racing friends told me 35x12.50 or nothing.

I re-geared my rig and bought the big ones. It worked.
Not a flat in 20 years.

Now I run slightly smaller tires (295/75R16) and had a flat 3 years ago.

Volume rules

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by 4x4abc]

David K - 3-14-2016 at 04:19 PM

The air pressure thing is great... On the Poll Line Road, everyone deflated (even though it was mostly a rocky road instead of sand... the miles arroyo section east from the Suzuki being the most sand.

Not one flat tire... just the broken Ford.

Barry A. - 3-14-2016 at 08:09 PM

Harald----------a slight correction I must make to my post above about spare tires and flats:--------I did not mean "rim-cuts"----what I really meant was sidewall-cuts and punctures, mostly by wooden staubs from bushes, and occasionally by very sharp rock fragments. I run on 285 x 75/16 BFG's KO's on 8" rims on my F-250, and slightly smaller BFG KO 265 x 75/16 on 7.5 inch rims on my Nissan X-terra. I do carry a fast and portable $300 compressor, and do inflate and deflate my tires as appropriate. Like many other's, I am a firm believer in low pressure when in the dirt, rocks, and sand, but sometimes fail to let the air out when I should, and I have paid for that several times with flats. Basically I agree with you, but I do like the mental-comfort of the extra spare when a long way from help.

I am truly amazed at where you have "driven" (for instance between El Barril/Los Corrales/ and on to the pavement east of San Ignacio)------what a fantastic feat!!! I made it to almost Los Corrales from the North in my F-250, but that was it as we got nervous a few miles south of San Miguel Rancho since we had no adequate backup vehicles. I salute your off-road adventures!

4x4abc - 3-14-2016 at 09:06 PM

I have calmed down considerably with my off-road adventures.
Used to teach mission impossible (yes, there is a cable on that vehicle)
In case someone is wondering - it was in Surprise Canyon (off Panamint Valley) now part of Death Valley NP and closed. That one was super cool!

Barry A. - 3-14-2016 at 10:31 PM

Harold---------LOL------------I drove into Panamint City in a Chev. 2-wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup in 1953 or 4, I think, and it was steep but a piece-of-cake. My how things have changed (sorta like the climate). LOL

4x4abc - 3-14-2016 at 11:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Harold---------LOL------------I drove into Panamint City in a Chev. 2-wheel drive 1/2 ton pickup in 1953 or 4, I think, and it was steep but a piece-of-cake. My how things have changed (sorta like the climate). LOL

well the road that was in place, washed away in the 60's
the fact that there used to be aroad in place made it legal to drive/winch up and down those waterfalls

only 2 or 3 buildings left in Panamint City
cool place

BajaMama - 3-16-2016 at 07:45 AM

I have an "extra" spare because the stock spare is one of those stupid mini things. I had to put new tires on so I bought a cheap steel rim and had the best of the old tires mounted. My tires are a pretty specific size (P255/50R19), if I needed a new one I know it would be a tough find in Baja. I may get an extra air filter, too! It is 11 or so miles on a dusty road to our house; last time it got pretty dirty!

TMW - 3-16-2016 at 08:21 AM

I carry two spares but have never had more than one flat in a day. One trip about 15 years ago I had two flats different days and was able to plug them both.

Last weekend on the way out of La Bocana I hit a small rock pile on the sand road and a rock bent the edge of the rim making it rub the caliper. I had a tire guy pull it off and he thought he could hammer it back but instead broke the edge of the rim off. I prefer steel rims for that reason.

PaulW - 3-16-2016 at 08:55 AM

TMW must have had a cheap cast Alloy rim. I bent a forged Alcoa on my F350 and the tire guy put it back to its original position with no cracks.

Yes - 2 spares is a very good thing to have in Baja.

Warning - late model cars come with a temporary spare with a speed limit. Ruin a tire and you are stuck driving the the border slowly in order to buy a replacement tire. Very few tire places in Baja outside of the border cities stock tires that need 17" or larger rims. No big deal just replace the miniature spare with a proper full size rim and tire. Then you discover the wheel well in the back will not fit that full size spare setup. Maybe something to check when you buy a new daily driver for use in Baja?
Yup - Guilty. I did not check and my Honda CRV has the small wheel well. I had to go thru the drill to drive slowly from San Felipe to El Centro to get a replacement tire. Shame on me. I wont buy a car with a small spare wheel well again. Sigh....

And for sure have a good plug kit for those inevitable flats or leaks

[Edited on 3-16-2016 by PaulW]

BigBearRider - 3-16-2016 at 09:04 AM

I have calmed down considerably with my off-road adventures.
Used to teach mission impossible (yes, there is a cable on that vehicle)
In case someone is wondering - it was in Surprise Canyon (off Panamint Valley) now part of Death Valley NP and closed. That one was super cool!

That pic is super cool.

Anchor007, are you there?

AKgringo - 3-16-2016 at 09:04 AM

I wonder what the original poster thinks of three pages of reply's to the one and only post he or she submitted? Granted, cliff driving and off road wheeling was not part of the original question, but did you get the answer you need yet?

This thread got legs, and with no mention of politics or climate!