Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Vehicles to avoid driving to Baja
anchor007

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 09:21 AM
Vehicles to avoid driving to Baja

We're planning to drive from Canada to Todos Santos at the beginning of 2017. Just starting to do research now.
Is there any vehicles we should avoid driving down that might be a target for carjacking..
we were considering a black ford f150 truck but worried we might be a target for carjacking? should we consider a small suv like a jeep cherokee instead? It will just be me and my husband driving with our small bulldog. Any thoughts?

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by anchor007]
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 09:27 AM

There are far, far more car jackings north of the Baja border than in Baja.

Drive what you would normally drive and have fun.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:05 AM

I wouldn't be concerned about an F-150. It sounds like this may be your first trip, or the first in a while. I think you may surprised by the cars Bajacalifornios drive. There are plenty of new and expensive trucks around.
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:05 AM

When you are afraid to be here you become a target. You might want to rethink coming at all! In future posts you will find almost all people that have been here find it very safe and comfortable. There are far more problems in the states than you will see down here, unless you are looking like something bad happening to you. You usually find what you are looking for!!

I have been driving the length of Baja for over 16 years and all I have seen is all the road side indicators of inattentive drivers, not hijackings!

Pay attention to the road and other drivers. Drive defensively and be safe. Enjoy this place!!!

All is well in La Paz

Happy Trails

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:15 AM

Put a sign in the window} NO CARJACKING

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:27 AM

I would be far more concerned about finding auto parts then getting car jacked.
make sure your auto is 100% and you'll be fine. Ford Chevy Dodge Toyota Nissan, VW all have dealerships and you can get parts. There are still small towns that most leave their autos unlocked. Go!!!! don't be afraid to meet the locals. Enjoy all that Baja servers up.

Many years ago (30) we watched a peugeot being towed back to the states from Bay of L A because of a lack of parts. There was no phone service at the time. Today Baja is much more connected to the rest of the world.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:42 AM

I had a black truck once. It was ok in norcal but terrible in Mexico.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:02 AM

They would really have to be slumming to carjack my old F-150.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:36 AM

Welcome to Nomad!
You'll be fine in a Ford. Lots of them down there, black included.

If you have after market add-ons that increase value, they may attract potentially unwanted interest: fancy wheels, hard-to-get tires, blazing bright light bars, ORV modifications etc.

(I occasionally get questions/comments/compliments on the lift kit on my small truck, in the US as well as Baja- but it's too old to be of theft interest, and not a 4WD.)

Always use the normal safety procedures as anywhere: Keep valuables stored out of sight, and personal items secured and/or carried on your person during security checkpoint stops. I suggest keeping cameras, passport, cellphone etc. in a small bag behind the driver's seat, and take it with you whenever you leave the vehicle.

Also- often people lose things, vs. having them stolen. (not trucks - usually...)

Good news is- Overall, here are very honest people in Baja who will help you if you that happens- as a recent post about a lost bag/camera in Santa Ines indicates.

Have fun!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by anchor007  
We're planning to drive from Canada to Todos Santos at the beginning of 2017. Just starting to do research now.
Is there any vehicles we should avoid driving down that might be a target for carjacking..
we were considering a black ford f150 truck but worried we might be a target for carjacking? should we consider a small suv like a jeep cherokee instead? It will just be me and my husband driving with our small bulldog. Any thoughts?

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by anchor007]

Car jackings are as rare as hens teeth.

But do not drive at night. The few, rare reports of car jackings have usually been at night.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:45 AM

I am a staunch proponent of car alarms. Siren would have independent battery that will not be effected if car battery is disabled.

Beyond that a kill switch so that car can't be started -- and driven off.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:57 AM

I roll the dice every time I drive my 2002 Kia Sportage down the peninsula, because they are not sold or serviced in Mexico. When a radiator tank cracked in La Paz, my mechanic, and even the parts house were amazed to find there was one that had been in his inventory for years!

I got my money's worth of service out of that fun little rig years ago, and if I abuse it to the point where I have to leave it behind and fly home, I'm OK with that. Kind of like Baja real estate, I don't drive something I can't afford to walk away from!

Car jacking isn't something I spend any time worrying about. One more thing, don't over plan your trip, stay flexible, and expect the unexpected! Also, if you have a choice of colors, black would be my last choice to park in the sun.

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

That`s a good advice! Like chucky has a sign on his forehead: "Low IQ". That everybody knows not to discuss w/ him anything which affords thinking. And not to take him too seriously but giving him a credit like an elementary school dropout. (The above posts verifies that statement)
To the question: Anything which can not be shipped on a panga is safe. A quad i.e. is not safe. If stolen, be sure it will be shipped with a panga to the mainland the same night. There is a huge BlackMarket in Mexico City where all stolen goods are sold. Police can not track those numerous items counting by the thousands and more every day. Very feasible business! So everything like an F150 is safe. Be sure, as it is said already, inside the US carjacking is far more numerous. Anything which can not be shipped in a panga - that are those Mexican fishing boats - will be found again in Baja.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:02 PM

the vehicle to avoid is the oncoming tractor trailer that is 3 feet into your lane. it's called "The Mexican Orgasm" for a reason!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I am a staunch proponent of car alarms. Siren would have independent battery that will not be effected if car battery is disabled.

good advice, obviously not gonna help in a carjacking, but will stop a theft.
type of vehicle? just like us, thieves love 4WD toyotas! ;)

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

good advice, obviously not gonna help in a carjacking, but will stop a theft.
type of vehicle? just like us, thieves love 4WD toyotas! ;)

[Edited on 3-13-2016 by willardguy]

:light::lol::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  

That`s a good advice! Like chucky has a sign on his forehead: "Low IQ". That everybody knows not to discuss w/ him anything which affords thinking. And not to take him too seriously but giving him a credit like an elementary school dropout. (The above posts verifies that statement)
To the question: Anything which can not be shipped on a panga is safe. A quad i.e. is not safe. If stolen, be sure it will be shipped with a panga to the mainland the same night. There is a huge BlackMarket in Mexico City where all stolen goods are sold. Police can not track those numerous items counting by the thousands and more every day. Very feasible business! So everything like an F150 is safe. Be sure, as it is said already, inside the US carjacking is far more numerous. Anything which can not be shipped in a panga - that are those Mexican fishing boats - will be found again in Baja.

won't work! People with low IQ will not understand the sign "Low IQ"

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:53 PM

like some animals, thieves love shiny things.
So, don't wash your truck.

Don't even have a charger cable for an iPhone visible inside - they will brake your window otherwise.

Don't show/indicate any value and you'll be fine.

Harald Pietschmann
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 01:03 PM

Thats funny advice from a benz owner.

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.mx/content/mexico/mpc/mpc_mexi...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 01:36 PM

i'd be more worried about traveling across California USA...

last year 176,745 cars were stolen in California

if we do the math that's

484 stolen cars a day

and that's

20 cars an hour or
one stolen car every 3 minutes

amazing...it's safer to cross the border

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-13-2016 at 01:41 PM
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.