BajaNomad

porfa / porfas?

pauldavidmena - 5-12-2016 at 03:49 PM

I've been studying Spanish at the "almost beyond beginner" level for years, but today stumbled upon a colloquialism that is supposedly uniquely Mexican - that of shortening "por favor" to "porfas" or "porfa". This is my first time hearing it in conversation. Is it slang? Is it very regional? Is is a fabrication of the podcasts I've been studying at SpanishPod101.com?

toronja - 5-12-2016 at 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard 'porfa' in Ecuador as well, so I'm not sure about it being unique to Mexico. Definitely not a fabrication, though :)

pauldavidmena - 5-13-2016 at 05:48 AM

Another colloquialism I've heard - at least among Puerto Ricans - is the truncation of "para" to "pa". I've even seen it written out that way. Is that common in Mexico as well?

Pablito1 - 5-13-2016 at 06:23 AM

Porfa is a very common expression in Venezuela and Peru.

Regards

nandopedal - 5-13-2016 at 08:09 AM

Hi Paul the "pa" for "para" is definitely not common in most of the country but maybe in a couple of seaports, Acapulco and Veracruz where you find the most concentration of "mulato " (African-hispanic) population.

pauldavidmena - 5-13-2016 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by nandopedal  
Hi Paul the "pa" for "para" is definitely not common in most of the country but maybe in a couple of seaports, Acapulco and Veracruz where you find the most concentration of "mulato " (African-hispanic) population.

Thanks for the reply. I grew up in New York and am now living in Massachusetts, so you might say I've been around distinct regional accents for most of my life. :cool:

tiotomasbcs - 5-13-2016 at 01:50 PM

I believe there are a few other shortenings which seem like a slang, padre (compadre). Que Onda is a common greeting in Baja where other regions say que paso? Sale vale, Tio