BajaNomad

Best travel insurance???

motoged - 6-18-2016 at 11:50 AM

I would like some opinions of a good travel health insurance plan for a period of 4-5 months in Baja. Canadian Nomad experiences would especially be helpful.

I have no "pre-existing" health issues aside from high blood pressure and am interested in a plan that would get me out of Baja should injury/illness pay me a visit.

Gracias in advance :saint:

TedZark - 6-18-2016 at 12:41 PM

I always use WorldNomads.com for travel. They are not expensive for what they cover. I don't know your age so I punched 55 for six months (BC to Mexico - I don't know your province) and got $5,000,000 coverage including evacuation for $408. Really a good deal. You might take a look at them. IMO a quality company - out of Australia. This is their site: https://www.worldnomads.com/ - you don't have to give them your first born to get an estimate. You don't have to give an email address, phone number or any another hustle. Just get an estimate. I live here (Baja), so I don't use it for here, but I've lived outside my home country for 25+ years and always use them for my travel to the USA.

motoged - 6-18-2016 at 02:46 PM

Ted,
Thanks....good product for people under 60 years....I am 65 so it doesn't seem to work for older folks....:no:

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I always use WorldNomads.com for travel. They are not expensive for what they cover. I don't know your age so I punched 55 for six months (BC to Mexico - I don't know your province) .....

bajabuddha - 6-18-2016 at 03:20 PM

There could be some carriers that 'get you out of there' if an emergency happens, but from what I understood about a 'Platinum Plan' I paid for once was you had to get your own tee-hinder out of there on your own dime/peso and then file for reimbursement once back in the U.S. ... dunno how it works in Canada. Also I was told they decide how much to reimburse you; it's not a full-coverage deal. I only bought it one year (glad I never had to find out how good/bad it really works). See your u2u btw.

SFandH - 6-18-2016 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

am interested in a plan that would get me out of Baja should injury/illness pay me a visit.

Gracias in advance :saint:

What are you envisioning, a private lear jet medi-evac out of baja?

I dunno.

A $1000 US cash and a credit card safely tucked away for emergencies is good insurance of sorts.

Plan on going to the nearest hospital if need be.

motoged - 6-18-2016 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

What are you envisioning, a private lear jet medi-evac out of baja?
.... $1000 US cash and a credit card safely tucked away for emergencies is good insurance of sorts.

Plan on going to the nearest hospital if need be.

A Lear with cute nurses would be ideal...:biggrin: ...but just starting to see what is available to cover costs to get to local or US hospital...as a Canadian, I need travel insurance for travelling in the US to cover medical costs should I incur them there as well as Mexico.

$1000 in my pocket with a credit card wouldn't help much if something drastic occurred...but might be nice for whoever found me unconcious somewhere...

bajabuddha - 6-18-2016 at 09:25 PM

Worst case scenario: a Piper Cub and Pescador and Chuckie fighting over who's gonna give you mouth-to-mouth.......... :barf: :bounce:

motoged - 6-18-2016 at 09:27 PM

Going into septic shock might be my preferred alternative in that case...:biggrin:

[Edited on 6-19-2016 by motoged]

chuckie - 6-19-2016 at 09:31 AM

Rusty razor blade...Seriously tho..be very careful here..My wife investigated a bunch of plans and most of them had microscopic print sections that said "if available or reimbursement to be made" ...I don't think she ever was able to find a real person that had actually used an evacuation service. It seems as if what usually happens is a friendly gringo loads you up and makes a dash for the border...Or an ambulance is hired to do the same...Caveat emptor! That's latin for two more please...

larryC - 6-19-2016 at 09:38 AM

Here is an actual report on an emeregency evac from BoLA a couple of years ago.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73659#pid9055...
You can decide for yourself if $55 a year is worth it.
Larry

Juls - 6-19-2016 at 10:40 AM

We had insurance from Alberta motor association. My husband suffered a head injury in Todos Santos this past winter. From the St Luke's emerg to San Jose for 2 CT scans and to the BlueNet hospital on the Carretera for a 24 hr stay and another CT scan approx cost between 4000 to 5000 dollars---must be paid up front. We came home within a week of the injury. When we got home we sent the bills to the insurance company. Still waiting for settlement. I now know to have a credit card with at least 10,000 dollar limit, just for this possibility. Also, the care was good, everything well explained.

woody with a view - 6-19-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Larry

$55/year for a family? Everyone on this site who ventures +50 miles from home needs this coverage, just because!!!

TedZark - 6-19-2016 at 05:45 PM

Too bad about the 60. Must be something about Canada. As a USA citizen I can use it up 66. Am 64 now and use it fairly regularly.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Ted,
Thanks....good product for people under 60 years....I am 65 so it doesn't seem to work for older folks....:no:

Quote: Originally posted by TedZark  
I always use WorldNomads.com for travel. They are not expensive for what they cover. I don't know your age so I punched 55 for six months (BC to Mexico - I don't know your province) .....

SFandH - 6-19-2016 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Larry

$55/year for a family? Everyone on this site who ventures +50 miles from home needs this coverage, just because!!!

Did you see where it was said they could have gotten back to the US quicker in a car?

[Edited on 6-20-2016 by SFandH]

AKgringo - 6-19-2016 at 06:10 PM

Depending on the injury, waiting for a med-evac plane while being monitored in a safe location is much better than a long drive!

Beating that plane back would also involve driving at night and who knows what surprises the trip offers.

SFandH - 6-19-2016 at 07:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Depending on the injury, waiting for a med-evac plane while being monitored in a safe location is much better than a long drive!

Beating that plane back would also involve driving at night and who knows what surprises the trip offers.

Yeah, that's true. Good points.

toronja - 6-20-2016 at 09:17 AM

We were instructed to get DAN memberships when we were working on remote Pacific islands in case of the need for medical evac. I never experienced anyone using it, so I'm glad to hear they live up to their reputation. We'll be making sure our memberships are active before the next trip for sure. The monthly magazine isn't too bad either.