BajaNomad

What does Baja mean to you?

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 12:10 AM

To me Baja means alot of things.

It started with a Ereka! moment when I was on a spring break guided trip with Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa.
It was 1988 I think. A 4 x 4 trip. I didn't have 1 at the time so I rode with a couple in the back of a CJ-7.
It was awesome. I spent the entire week outside except for my tent and the ocasional pemex.
The eureka part is that I finally found the California I was looking for.
Even though I was living an oceanfront apt. I was in my late 20s.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed living in Newport and every oceanfront house comes with a built in party. Imagine frat boys binge drinking. I think you get the picture.
More to come...

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 01:41 AM

The jeep didn't have a top. So total exposure to the elements. We did alot of highway but mostly off road.
Offroad, I sat on a cooler behind the back seat with my feet on the seat. If it got rough I could grab the rollbar easily. If it was really rough I stood on the seat with hands and arms wrapped around the rollbar. Sometimes I had to hike out to one side or the other to help keep us from rolling over.
Oh, and the cooler... full of ice and beer ofcourse.
It was a Coleman and very sturdy. It had a plastic top with the name stamped into it.
So the running joke of all the 10 or so trucks on the trip was that by the end of the trip that I would surely have "COLEMAN" tattooed onto my rear.
I think you can guess what my nickname was for that trip...

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by fishbuck]

DENNIS - 7-1-2016 at 06:44 AM

More, please.

David K - 7-1-2016 at 07:13 AM

Yes, great stuff!
David Eidell had a similar story set in the early 1960s. Same seating location, in a CJ-5 I think.

Udo - 7-1-2016 at 07:37 AM

I'll be publishing what Baja means to me as well as the rest of my life's aspects.

Baja means so much to me, and for that reason I am now living here in Punta Banda, near Ensenada, and because of the recent move, my life is still kind of hectic.

The house is finished on the inside but the workers are about a month away from what I would consider a finished outside. I'll make a separate thread and put the house's inside photos on Nomad. Just have to download them to photobucket and then upload them to Nomads.

David K - 7-1-2016 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I'll be publishing what Baja means to me as well as the rest of my life's aspects.

Baja means so much to me, and for that reason I am now living here in Punta Banda, near Ensenada, and because of the recent move, my life is still kind of hectic.

The house is finished on the inside but the workers are about a month away from what I would consider a finished outside. I'll make a separate thread and put the house's inside photos on Nomad. Just have to download them to photobucket and then upload them to Nomads.

"Baja by Udo"... I can't wait!!!:wow:

bajatrailrider - 7-1-2016 at 02:40 PM

Freedom to go to the beach,not see one person.Less rules/regulations. Also great 4 wheeling and dirt bike country.

DENNIS - 7-1-2016 at 05:28 PM

Hey, Udo....it'll never be done. It's a labor of living love.

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Very cool. Always been interested in the area. Are you having a "God and Mr. Gomez" experiece?

"Baja by Udo"... I can't wait!!!:wow:

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Freedom to go to the beach,not see one person.Less rules/regulations. Also great 4 wheeling and dirt bike country.

Totally agree.
Did i mention that I have my own private motocross track at my place.
Some kind soul built it for me at some time unknown for some unknown reason.
But I'll take it.:coolup:

BajaBlanca - 7-1-2016 at 06:58 PM

Baja means

kids and more kids
ocean sand fish LOBSTER
trash and trash cleanups
deserted beaches
cold icy salty margaritas
super amigas
donations

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Baja means

kids and more kids
ocean sand fish LOBSTER
trash and trash cleanups
deserted beaches
cold icy salty margaritas
super amigas
donations

Very nice. Could you elaborate on the "kids" part please?

MMc - 7-1-2016 at 09:26 PM

Blancha, is a dutch godmother to many of the kids in her little town. She helps, gives and supports more than most. Many wish we could be more like her, some of us try. She is making a difference in kids lives.

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Blancha, is a dutch godmother to many of the kids in her little town. She helps, gives and supports more than most. Many wish we could be more like her, some of us try. She is making a difference in kids lives.

Thank you.
I am interested because I am seeking a worthy cause to participate in so as to atone for past... well you know.
And nothing like a good old mission from God to get a person fired up about Baja...
I mean those Spanish guys sailed half way around the world just to build a bunch of churches...
And who doesn't like kids right:bounce:

fishbuck - 7-1-2016 at 11:27 PM

Every night we camped in a different remote location.
1st night was the magnificent boulder fields of Catavina. The 1st time you see it it leaves you speechless.
Like a giant rock sulpture. Like another planet. Like " Wow man!".
You find that perfect spot for your sleepng bag and you wish you could stay in that beautiful peaceful spot forever.
Our fearless trip leader had many camp activities for us. The regular chore type like build a fire ring and gather wood etc.
But some were fun and even just a bit scientific.
Every night we would set little box traps witk a little grain inside. The hope of which was to catch cute little Baja kangaroo rats. So darn cute!
We would document the where and when of it and the info was presumedly used by researchers back at the college.
But to us it was just a veryfun game and a chance to bond with the little critters before returnind them to their rocky paradise none the worse for the experience.
So a new nickname was coined right there in the middle of Gods rock garden for our trip leader and chief rat scientist.
Are you ready for it... Capitan Kangaroo
What else could have been.
And our team name... here it come... RAT PATROL!

ehall - 7-2-2016 at 06:00 AM

Adventure

BajaBlanca - 7-2-2016 at 06:31 AM

loving the stories! rat patrol and capitan kangaroo are great monikers! Please keep 'em coming.

kids kids kids means all the wonderful students I have had for the last 10 years we have been here. Teaching is my passion and I have been lucky to be able to do teach a lot.

First was the adults, from the local doctor to the current president of our fishing cooperative, they all had basic English classes with me.

Then the high school - does anyone remember my first class? English had always meant NO CLASS and they drove me nuts! They did not want to study ... many gray hairs with that class! and also the inspiration to start the scholarship program.

and now I have the middle schoolers I love this age. Just on the cusp of becoming adults.

Thanks for the kind words MMc

I will PM you fishbuck! I sure appreciate helpers!

bajatrailrider - 7-2-2016 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Adventure
Thats it Ed you know it Adventure even without leaving my house. Sometimes more then Im ready for.:bounce:

bajatrailrider - 7-2-2016 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Totally agree.
Your own moto track in the backyard:)

woody with a view - 7-2-2016 at 07:15 AM

Since my first trip in 9th grade ditching school to surf Popotla up until my most recent trip with my son it's always been about what lies over that next hill, or around that point. The people you meet and the places you end up! This video is a good example. It was a solo trip for my birthday a few years ago and I bumped into some really cool people off the beaten track, totally unexpected!

https://youtu.be/qyLE1S4bhzg

Ateo - 7-2-2016 at 07:29 AM

Baja is a Separate Reality for me.

Since I first went down at the age of 7, the sights, sounds, and smells of Baja were foreign to me. Those days at Estero Beach were implanted into my head and as soon as I was old enough and had a car my true Baja adventuring began.

For a 19 year old to be able to buy beer, park on a beach, and surf uncrowded waves is pretty close to paradise.

Adventure. Testing yourself in different environments. Getting stuck 50 miles from help. Meeting people who have that same exploratory spirit.

[Edited on 7-2-2016 by Ateo]

Osprey - 7-2-2016 at 07:57 AM

Buckman, this is all good stuff. Why don't you start another thread and bring us up to speed about the big chunk of your past adventures you've left out here.

For example most guys capture new girls with dinner and a movie -- you rented airplanes and spent a fortune flying all over the southland looking for them, showing them some thrills.

Did you ever get your own plane, find the right girl, get married? If you're still single do you plan to begin again? Is that why you need a place with a runway nearby? Inquiring minds want to know.

David K - 7-2-2016 at 08:44 AM

Great stuff... why I made VivaBaja.com... the magic Baja has on me is not unique, it has the same power over all of you, too!

SFandH - 7-2-2016 at 09:08 AM

Spending the winters on Bahia Concepcion in my travel trailer.

And, cheap dentistry! Just had a nasty broken molar extraction in Tijuana that required oral surgery, bone cutting, and sutures. $80!!

fishbuck - 7-2-2016 at 01:35 PM

Totally agree.
Your own moto track in the backyard:)

Technically not mine. But yes in my back yard maybe half mile or so.
I have seen a few bikes riding there. Minis and super minis.
The families parked near by barbecuing and sipping beer under tecate easyup tarps.
When I finally get to use it I will take my bobcat tractor over there and make a few bigger jumps and stuff and even lenghten it and try to use some of the hills. I don't think anyone will care or even notice.

Maderita - 7-2-2016 at 01:59 PM

What does Baja mean to you?
Endless untamed granite to be explored and climbed. Knowing that I am the first human to ever touch that (vertical) part of the earth. A lifetime of first ascents 40+ years and counting).
Of course, there is so much more: good friends, adventure, dirt roads, remote palm canyons, cold cerveza, horseback riding, dirt bikes, 4x4, beaches, surf, etc.

ehall - 7-2-2016 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Adventure
Thats it Ed you know it Adventure even without leaving my house. Sometimes more then Im ready for.:bounce:

Exactly. No 2 trips are the same. Adventure comes comes in all forms for me but what I enjoy the most is exploring new places on my dirt bike or jeep.

nbacc - 7-3-2016 at 12:17 PM

To go where others (people we know here in the USA) are afraid to go. Love stepping back 50 to 100 years. My husband was born 100 years too late. sounds funny but ohhhh so true Nancy

fishbuck - 7-3-2016 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nbacc  
To go where others (people we know here in the USA) are afraid to go. Love stepping back 50 to 100 years. My husband was born 100 years too late. sounds funny but ohhhh so true Nancy

Exactly. I was thinking kind of the same thing. But mostly I was thinking that my love for and understanding of Baja was born to late or at least woke up too late.
Most recently I am haunted about pre highway flying to Baja and what that must have been like. Who were these awesome people and what kind of plnes did they fly. And most of all why did they do it and what changed that it was no longer a good idea and the runways were abandoned?
Kind of like DavidK and his love for and curiousity about the missions.
I feel like Baja is passing me by and I'm "stuck" in a conventional life instead of a baja life and all that means.
I realize how lucky and I guess smart that I purchased my lots 10 years ago which seemed incredibly foolhardy at the time. Not one of my friends or family understood and all advised against with 1 cliche horror story or another.
I realised I was totally on my own.
It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part based on fear of getting left out as the economy was booming and baja was being slicrd and diced.
Fortunately ( for me ) the bubble ecomony burst and the crime waves put the brakes on baja developement atleast temporarily.
My lots haven't appreciated much but that is ok. That was only an investment in me and maybe for my son someday.
I feel like I was lucky enough to buy a waterfront house in Newport Beach 100 years ago except for the I'd be dead by now part.
Don't you wish that you ancesters would have bought some prime property somewhere cool for you 100 years ago?
I wish mine did.

David K - 7-3-2016 at 01:25 PM

Baja is a TIME MACHINE!

grace59 - 7-3-2016 at 03:33 PM

I made my first trip to Baja back in 1980 when I was 21. The beauty, friendly people and quiet soothed my soul and found a way into my heart. Each time I cross the border into Baja it feels as if a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders and that I can breathe again. I love my friends there....both Gringo and Mexican. I love the home that my husband and I had built there...I know every person that had a part in building that dream for us. I love the desert, the sea, the mountains...the vastness of Baja. I love seeing the STARS at night because there is no light pollution. I love that there is still so much for me to explore....notw that I am RETIRED and moving there soon enough! Yay!

fishbuck - 7-3-2016 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by grace59  
I made my first trip to Baja back in 1980 when I was 21. The beauty, friendly people and quiet soothed my soul and found a way into my heart. Each time I cross the border into Baja it feels as if a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders and that I can breathe again. I love my friends there....both Gringo and Mexican. I love the home that my husband and I had built there...I know every person that had a part in building that dream for us. I love the desert, the sea, the mountains...the vastness of Baja. I love seeing the STARS at night because there is no light pollution. I love that there is still so much for me to explore....notw that I am RETIRED and moving there soon enough! Yay!

Beautfully stated. Very nice.
Once I turn the corner at Playa de Tijauna I start to feel it...

Sparetimewanted - 7-5-2016 at 08:01 PM

Discovered it in the 60's when my Dad got me Sea of Cortez by Ray Cannon. I new after the first 3 chapters that I needed to have Baja in my life. First trip (high school drive with 2 buddies) to Puertocitos confirmed it. Can't figure a way to move down, but am managing a couple of weeks a year down there!

Biggest concern is too many people discovering it and changing it. So envious of the nomads fortunate enough to have so much time in paradise!

fishbuck - 7-5-2016 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sparetimewanted  
Discovered it in the 60's when my Dad got me Sea of Cortez by Ray Cannon. I new after the first 3 chapters that I needed to have Baja in my life. First trip (high school drive with 2 buddies) to Puertocitos confirmed it. Can't figure a way to move down, but am managing a couple of weeks a year down there!

Biggest concern is too many people discovering it and changing it. So envious of the nomads fortunate enough to have so much time in paradise!

Thank you. That is the book I was thinking of. Same. I think that is the first book I read about Baja too.

David K - 7-5-2016 at 10:15 PM

Thank you. That is the book I was thinking of. Same. I think that is the first book I read about Baja too.

The pier at the Flying Sportsman Lodge, Loreto, at sunrise!

David K - 7-5-2016 at 10:30 PM

My dad thought Ray's book was outstanding and took me to the boat show to get Ray Cannon's autograph and he had Ray sign it to me (I was 9, in Jan 1967)...

books 004.jpg - 50kB

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 01:31 AM

You win again Dave!::coolup:

ehall - 7-6-2016 at 05:22 AM

You win again Dave!::coolup:

X2 that's cool.

Ken Bondy - 7-6-2016 at 07:43 AM

My Baja story:

http://www.kenbondy.com/images/Journeys/Chapter%203_%20Baja....

David K - 7-6-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Bondy  
My Baja story:

http://www.kenbondy.com/images/Journeys/Chapter%203_%20Baja....

Ken, now that is a winner! New book chapter? :light:

TMW - 7-6-2016 at 09:53 AM

Wow, Ken that was a great read and the pictures are the best. As much as I dislike Puffer fish the straight on picture of the one in your book was kind of cute.

willardguy - 7-6-2016 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Wow, Ken that was a great read and the pictures are the best. As much as I dislike Puffer fish the straight on picture of the one in your book was kind of cute.

did someone say cute puffer?

JZ - 7-7-2016 at 08:04 PM

It's changed over time. At first Mexico meant freedom, endless parties, beautiful landscapes and waters, and chicas, chicas, and more chicas.

Now it less chicas and more adventures. But still always a big fiesta.

fishbuck - 7-9-2016 at 05:06 PM

Keep em coming folks please.

I like the concept of the evolution of baja and how the meaning of baja changes over time.
Places change and people change.
And ofcourse Baja can have many different meanings.
But is there a common thread that ties Baja lovers together?
For example, I was astonished when I found out that not everyone who goes to baja loves to fish yet there must still be some common ground ,some value, or ideal or even something geographical the we all share...
Is there?
And really you don't love to fish...? How strange...

Disclaimer: I still love people even if they don't fish...

[Edited on 7-10-2016 by fishbuck]

Bajazly - 7-9-2016 at 07:02 PM

Sometimes the chicas add to the adventure and sometimes they are the adventure. Each is different in their own special way but all are unforgettable.

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
It's changed over time. At first Mexico meant freedom, endless parties, beautiful landscapes and waters, and chicas, chicas, and more chicas.

Now it less chicas and more adventures. But still always a big fiesta.

TMW - 7-9-2016 at 07:20 PM

I think part of it is the rules are a little loose in Baja and by that I mean you can ride a dirt bike basically anywhere in Baja. Well I don't know about the border towns like TJ and Mexicalli. But if you want to jump on your dirt bike and head to La Paz you can. You can't do that NOB. Crap you can't even ride it in the dirt in a lot of places. Another thing is that for most of Baja when you get near the ocean you can pull over and camp, especially south of Ensenada and San Felipe. NOB you got to find a camp ground or a park and pay. You may pay SOB but it's usually just a few bucks unless it's a regular campground.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of interesting places to go to NOB and have a great time. But Baja is a little different and they have Off-Road racing where you can get out on the course to watch. Try that at a BITD race.