BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What does Baja mean to you?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 12:10 AM
What does Baja mean to you?

To me Baja means alot of things.

It started with a Ereka! moment when I was on a spring break guided trip with Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa.
It was 1988 I think. A 4 x 4 trip. I didn't have 1 at the time so I rode with a couple in the back of a CJ-7.
It was awesome. I spent the entire week outside except for my tent and the ocasional pemex.
The eureka part is that I finally found the California I was looking for.
Even though I was living an oceanfront apt. I was in my late 20s.
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed living in Newport and every oceanfront house comes with a built in party. Imagine frat boys binge drinking. I think you get the picture.
More to come...

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 01:41 AM

The jeep didn't have a top. So total exposure to the elements. We did alot of highway but mostly off road.
Offroad, I sat on a cooler behind the back seat with my feet on the seat. If it got rough I could grab the rollbar easily. If it was really rough I stood on the seat with hands and arms wrapped around the rollbar. Sometimes I had to hike out to one side or the other to help keep us from rolling over.
Oh, and the cooler... full of ice and beer ofcourse.
It was a Coleman and very sturdy. It had a plastic top with the name stamped into it.
So the running joke of all the 10 or so trucks on the trip was that by the end of the trip that I would surely have "COLEMAN" tattooed onto my rear.
I think you can guess what my nickname was for that trip...

[Edited on 7-1-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 06:44 AM

More, please.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 07:13 AM

Yes, great stuff!
David Eidell had a similar story set in the early 1960s. Same seating location, in a CJ-5 I think.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 07:37 AM

I'll be publishing what Baja means to me as well as the rest of my life's aspects.

Baja means so much to me, and for that reason I am now living here in Punta Banda, near Ensenada, and because of the recent move, my life is still kind of hectic.

The house is finished on the inside but the workers are about a month away from what I would consider a finished outside. I'll make a separate thread and put the house's inside photos on Nomad. Just have to download them to photobucket and then upload them to Nomads.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I'll be publishing what Baja means to me as well as the rest of my life's aspects.

Baja means so much to me, and for that reason I am now living here in Punta Banda, near Ensenada, and because of the recent move, my life is still kind of hectic.

The house is finished on the inside but the workers are about a month away from what I would consider a finished outside. I'll make a separate thread and put the house's inside photos on Nomad. Just have to download them to photobucket and then upload them to Nomads.

"Baja by Udo"... I can't wait!!!:wow:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 02:40 PM

Freedom to go to the beach,not see one person.Less rules/regulations. Also great 4 wheeling and dirt bike country.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 05:28 PM

Hey, Udo....it'll never be done. It's a labor of living love.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Very cool. Always been interested in the area. Are you having a "God and Mr. Gomez" experiece?

"Baja by Udo"... I can't wait!!!:wow:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Freedom to go to the beach,not see one person.Less rules/regulations. Also great 4 wheeling and dirt bike country.

Totally agree.
Did i mention that I have my own private motocross track at my place.
Some kind soul built it for me at some time unknown for some unknown reason.
But I'll take it.:coolup:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 06:58 PM

Baja means

kids and more kids
ocean sand fish LOBSTER
trash and trash cleanups
deserted beaches
cold icy salty margaritas
super amigas
donations

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Baja means

kids and more kids
ocean sand fish LOBSTER
trash and trash cleanups
deserted beaches
cold icy salty margaritas
super amigas
donations

Very nice. Could you elaborate on the "kids" part please?

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 09:26 PM

Blancha, is a dutch godmother to many of the kids in her little town. She helps, gives and supports more than most. Many wish we could be more like her, some of us try. She is making a difference in kids lives.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Blancha, is a dutch godmother to many of the kids in her little town. She helps, gives and supports more than most. Many wish we could be more like her, some of us try. She is making a difference in kids lives.

Thank you.
I am interested because I am seeking a worthy cause to participate in so as to atone for past... well you know.
And nothing like a good old mission from God to get a person fired up about Baja...
I mean those Spanish guys sailed half way around the world just to build a bunch of churches...
And who doesn't like kids right:bounce:

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-1-2016 at 11:27 PM

Every night we camped in a different remote location.
1st night was the magnificent boulder fields of Catavina. The 1st time you see it it leaves you speechless.
Like a giant rock sulpture. Like another planet. Like " Wow man!".
You find that perfect spot for your sleepng bag and you wish you could stay in that beautiful peaceful spot forever.
Our fearless trip leader had many camp activities for us. The regular chore type like build a fire ring and gather wood etc.
But some were fun and even just a bit scientific.
Every night we would set little box traps witk a little grain inside. The hope of which was to catch cute little Baja kangaroo rats. So darn cute!
We would document the where and when of it and the info was presumedly used by researchers back at the college.
But to us it was just a veryfun game and a chance to bond with the little critters before returnind them to their rocky paradise none the worse for the experience.
So a new nickname was coined right there in the middle of Gods rock garden for our trip leader and chief rat scientist.
Are you ready for it... Capitan Kangaroo
What else could have been.
And our team name... here it come... RAT PATROL!

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 06:00 AM

Adventure
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 06:31 AM

loving the stories! rat patrol and capitan kangaroo are great monikers! Please keep 'em coming.

kids kids kids means all the wonderful students I have had for the last 10 years we have been here. Teaching is my passion and I have been lucky to be able to do teach a lot.

First was the adults, from the local doctor to the current president of our fishing cooperative, they all had basic English classes with me.

Then the high school - does anyone remember my first class? English had always meant NO CLASS and they drove me nuts! They did not want to study ... many gray hairs with that class! and also the inspiration to start the scholarship program.

and now I have the middle schoolers I love this age. Just on the cusp of becoming adults.

Thanks for the kind words MMc

I will PM you fishbuck! I sure appreciate helpers!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Adventure
Thats it Ed you know it Adventure even without leaving my house. Sometimes more then Im ready for.:bounce:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Totally agree.
Did i mention that I have my own private motocross track at my place.
Some kind soul built it for me at some time unknown for some unknown reason.
But I'll take it.:coolup:
Your own moto track in the backyard:)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 07:15 AM

Since my first trip in 9th grade ditching school to surf Popotla up until my most recent trip with my son it's always been about what lies over that next hill, or around that point. The people you meet and the places you end up! This video is a good example. It was a solo trip for my birthday a few years ago and I bumped into some really cool people off the beaten track, totally unexpected!

https://youtu.be/qyLE1S4bhzg

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.