BajaNomad

Smart as a rock?

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 01:57 AM

What is a cheaper building material?
Cemet block or local rock?
My little neighborhood has both.
1 guy even made his own adobe bricks. It was cool!

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 11:24 AM

So my thought process is that after I retire and am going through my CC&R permited trailer on the beach phase (24 months) that I will use my truck and maybe my bobcat and trailer to wander around and pick up rocks for building.
Side note: Does anyone want to offer a guess on how much it will cost to build a 1000 square foot casita.
Me and a local laborer the workers.
That is after I teach myself how to build a house.

bajaguy - 7-6-2016 at 11:27 AM

Get yourself a few 40' and 20' shipping containers, a metal cutting wheel and a torch......instant house

StuckSucks - 7-6-2016 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Get yourself a few 40' and 20' shipping containers, a metal cutting wheel and a torch......instant house

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 11:42 AM

I have studied the idea.
I don't think I can make them match the CCRs.
But I may purchase one and load it with all the stuff I need that I can buy in TJ or Ensenada and ship it to my lot.
So first 2 years trailer on the beach and shipping container garage for my bobcat and other equipment. And then I'll hide it somewhere.

bajaguy - 7-6-2016 at 11:44 AM

Install windows and doors, put on some siding and a gable roof, will look like a stick built house

quote=1039772&tid=83448&author=fishbuck]I have studied the idea.
I don't think I can make them match the CCRs.
But I may purchase one and load it with all the stuff I need that I can buy in TJ or Ensenada and ship it to my lot.
So first 2 years trailer on the beach and shipping container garage for my bobcat and other equipment. And then I'll hide it somewhere.[/rquote]

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 11:47 AM

I'm still considering it.

bajaguy - 7-6-2016 at 11:53 AM

The advantage is after you do the exterior, you can live in it while you do the interior

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I'm still considering it.

AKgringo - 7-6-2016 at 12:05 PM

I don't know the costs of buing in Baja, but even if the rocks are free, the labor cost has to be far higher than having blocks delivered and stacked.

Structurally, the block wall, properly reinforced, will be much more stable and easier to finish and maintain. How about block, which you could then install a stone veneer where desired at a later phase?

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't know the costs of buing in Baja, but even if the rocks are free, the labor cost has to be far higher than having blocks delivered and stacked.

Structurally, the block wall, properly reinforced, will be much more stable and easier to finish and maintain. How about block, which you could then install a stone veneer where desired at a later phase?

Kind of what I was thinking.
Standard block construction probably cheapest and best.
Lots of block companies along the highway. The last house built there was block.
Use native rock for artistic touches maybe.

[Edited on 7-6-2016 by fishbuck]

AKgringo - 7-6-2016 at 12:49 PM

Another thing to consider, is that even an 'average' mason can build a decent block structure. If I was considering a stone structure, I would only want a 'master mason' doing the work!

[Edited on 7-6-2016 by AKgringo]

weebray - 7-6-2016 at 12:56 PM

Check out barro. Methinks it's the best Baja solution.

bajaguy - 7-6-2016 at 12:57 PM

Figure out some way to insulate it.....blocks retain and radiate heat in the summer and cold in the winter. If I had it to do over again I would use 2"x6" steel framing

[/rquote]Kind of what I was thinking.
Standard block construction probably cheapest and best.
Lots of block companies along the highway. The last house built there was block.
Use native rock for artistic touches maybe.
[Edited on 7-6-2016 by fishbuck][/rquote]

BajaBlanca - 7-6-2016 at 01:33 PM

you should come over and pick my husband's brain. He is NOT into bajanomad or facebook, it would have to be face to face. He also has taught himself everything he knows. He so enjoy it that he says if he could go back in time, he would have worked with construction rather than engineering for 26 years.

Bajahowodd - 7-6-2016 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

So cool!

fishbuck - 7-6-2016 at 07:03 PM

Yeah the top 1. What a view!

woody with a view - 7-6-2016 at 07:15 PM

Keep in mind that rebar in CMU in Baja is not used as frequently as in US. If you're lucky they will fill every 3rd cell of CMU with grout, not every cell.

if properly constructed, a rock wall is structurally stronger than your average Baja block wall. the irregular shapes if properly grouted with enough mortar is unbeatable. no rebar needed. and it looks good when its finiished.

bajabuddha - 7-6-2016 at 10:17 PM

Rocks are free, and you still must reinforce the walls with rebar. There are vast projects and half-vast projects.... I hate half-vast work. Difference is, rock is free but block goes up faster, more level (if done right) and less gathering time. It's all 6's. Cada Loco Con Su Tema; build what you like and want to live in, be it rock, block, metal conex, rammed earth, adobe.......... choose your poison and be it.

I did rock work for years, and love natural stone. However, it's definitely young man's work. I believe in the theory of Earth Compaction; the same rock you picked up 30 years ago is much heavier now since gravity works; the atoms have compacted and made it much more dense and harder to handle. Asparagus is farther away to pick as well.

bezzell - 7-7-2016 at 01:50 PM

and potentially fry yourself in the Baja sun?
not sure about this route?

bajaguy - 7-7-2016 at 02:01 PM

Get some trusses and put a gable roof on. Insulate the top and sides, wraparound covered deck

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

bezzell - 7-7-2016 at 04:58 PM

Get some trusses and put a gable roof on. Insulate the top and sides, wraparound covered deck

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

this would definitely help.
but doesn't change the fact that the walls are solid steel !! :o
this insulation on top and sides would HAVE to be on the outside right? it's not like you have any inches to spare on the inside!

I think we'd be seeing these if it was truly viable.
Maybe on the Pacific side where it never gets Baja hot? Otherwise, the idea seems ridiculous for this geography to me. jmo

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by bezzell]

Bajaboy - 7-7-2016 at 10:15 PM

Hey Bucky,

Lots of questions lately....how about you tell us how much a block costs versus rock where you plan on building? In my hood, block is much cheaper to buy and build. But rock will last longer.

I suggest you walk the walk a bit more wherever you plan on building. Ask the locals....just saying....

fishbuck - 7-8-2016 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Hey Bucky,

Lots of questions lately....how about you tell us how much a block costs versus rock where you plan on building? In my hood, block is much cheaper to buy and build. But rock will last longer.

I suggest you walk the walk a bit more wherever you plan on building. Ask the locals....just saying....

Hi Bajaboy

I know a ton of questions. I been saving them up for you.
Kind of what I figured about rock. No one in the neighborhood has used rock recently.
But yeah I will start quizzing whoever I can find next time I'm at my camp.
Looks like mid-August at best. And then for 1-2 days only.
My lots are paid for this month and I realized I am eligible to retire so my suppressed Baja dream is coming back to life.

mtgoat666 - 7-8-2016 at 06:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
What is a cheaper building material?
Cemet block or local rock?

Well, rock and block are aesthetically very different. If what you care about is $$, then get a trailer.

DENNIS - 7-8-2016 at 07:21 AM

Shipping containers are 8 feet wide. Add the thickness of walls for a refrigerated type and the walls close in. I know...... you can line them up side by side, but that means removing walls and the weakness of the structure begins.
All in all...they are a bad option......cute, but impractical.
Go on amazon Books and get a twenty dollar book on steel frame construction. Buy a chop saw, a screw gun, five cases of beer...... and practice. You'll be an expert by the time the hangover wears off.
Framing steel is available here, and it's around the same price as wood.....perhaps less. I'm paying 5 bucks for 2x4x8s now.

[Edited on 7-8-2016 by DENNIS]

pacificobob - 7-8-2016 at 07:37 AM

i know a Bering sea crab fisherman who has a underground 40' conex buried in coasta rica he lives in in the off season. its cool and secure

bezzell - 7-8-2016 at 08:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i know a Bering sea crab fisherman who has a underground 40' conex buried in coasta rica he lives in in the off season. its cool and secure

sounds like a dungeon / bomb shelter