BajaNomad

everything changes

rancho guillermo - 7-11-2016 at 02:08 PM

Not sure this topic has been covered, since I am new here. Would like to know thoughts on places that everyone feels have changed the least in their time traveling thru Baja. An old bar, camping areas, etc. Cabo probably the most changed, Least changed ? Inside Bar at Serenidad? Just curious. Different answers for length of years in Baja. Thanks.

willardguy - 7-11-2016 at 02:43 PM

Tijuana's Dandy Del Sur on 6th street....since 1957. a walk back in time.

MMc - 7-11-2016 at 02:44 PM

The beach access north of Ensenada has really changed. there are many place that we can not surf anymore.
I will not talk about the places that haven't changed as I am hoping they stay that way.

rancho guillermo - 7-11-2016 at 03:00 PM

Dandy del Sur...Nice. I will have to try that one...

sancho - 7-11-2016 at 03:03 PM

Speaking of Bars, the Long Bar, Revo. Ave. TJ, a classic.
In the late '80's, the then ferry Cape to Vallarta, in '87, went
over to PV with truck and cabin for 2, price was $11 dlls.,
although the ferry system was, to my knowledge, owned
and subsidized by the Mex Govt. Heard of campers at the
Cape, spending the winter on a free beach area called Shipwrecks. Camped at Bahia de Muertos, 40 mi. south/
southeast of La Paz. free camping. great place. For me
late '80's early '90's were the yrs. I logged some time
SOB, at a time of being carefree, almost forgot, in that time
period, you take in your empties and get a replacement
case of beer, $2.95. I think I knew it at the time how good it
was. but maybe not to the fullest

Still the same....

Howard - 7-11-2016 at 03:07 PM

Adelita Bar and the Hong Kong club in Tijuana are still around, or so I have been told. I think I am to old to go anymore but do have a good and vivid memory.

SFandH - 7-11-2016 at 03:13 PM

Speaking of Mexican dive bars (is that redundant?) try the bar at Cielto Lindo trailer park just south of San Quintin. It, and some of its patrons, haven't changed in decades. If you ever need a cheap place to park a trailer and hide out, this is it.

Bajahowodd - 7-11-2016 at 04:42 PM

Interesting you mentioned Cabo. I first visited there in 1982. No marina. One paved road. One traffic light. I cannot speak for the changes in Cancun that I've seen, because I was not down there that far back. But, Cabo has to be the poster child for for change.

rancho guillermo - 7-11-2016 at 05:11 PM

Bar at Rancho Leonero...original building..not sure about the bar.

Attachment: baja_0001.pdf (119kB)
This file has been downloaded 231 times

Ateo - 7-11-2016 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
The beach access north of Ensenada has really changed. there are many place that we can not surf anymore.
I will not talk about the places that haven't changed as I am hoping they stay that way.

Agreed. The last and final nail in the coffin for that stretch was the closing of Salsipuedes. That was the last place that felt far away, yet wasn't. A perfect spot to go on a quick weekend get away that felt like you were 300 miles south. I won't camp anywhere north of Ensenada anymore. Beach access sucks everywhere except the crappy spots.

Ateo - 7-11-2016 at 06:46 PM

On the "changed" section.........Santa Rosalillita. I remember driving the dirt road in and camping out on the point. Once they laid pavement there it was no longer a place I wanted to camp. Never caught any friggen waves there but that was because I was an idiot and had no idea of wave forecasting and surf spot set ups.

MMc - 7-11-2016 at 08:36 PM

Yep! My wife and I were at scorps when they were pouring the slab for the bar, we talked that night and she said "They are paying paradise I won't see this place again, better to remember is, than see what it will become". she never went back.
When they built the first house behind the lighthouse at another spot, she quit going there too. After returning about 10 years ago I told her I could go there without a tent and sleeping bag, and she cried.

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
On the "changed" section.........Santa Rosalillita. I remember driving the dirt road in and camping out on the point. Once they laid pavement there it was no longer a place I wanted to camp. Never caught any friggen waves there but that was because I was an idiot and had no idea of wave forecasting and surf spot set ups.

BajaMama - 7-12-2016 at 06:04 AM

Used to fish on the sport fishing boats off Ensenada back in the late 1980's. Back then Ensenada was about a 20th of the size it is now. I am still amazed at the size of it when I drive through. My boss had a little rental unit on the beach in the gringo community just north of Rosarito and we would go and stay when it wasn't rented. Rosarito was also a fraction of the size it is now. I think the Rosarito Beach Hotel was the only game in town, and there were a few bars in town, some on the rooftops of other buildings. Is there still horse back riding on the beaches? Now we drive to Baja Sur and stay in Punta Chivato!

mtgoat666 - 7-12-2016 at 06:36 AM

People often say it was better in the old days. I call that sentimental dementia! Most people that live out in the boonies see development of towns and paved roads as good for bringing opportunity and access.

chuys

rancho guillermo - 7-12-2016 at 07:31 AM

There was a place years ago..(spot where Bobby's by The sea is now, Rosarito) called Chuys. Great Hamburgers and I believe had a live monkey chained outside..Crazy. Margaret from New York was the owner. Some fun times there.

Whale-ista - 7-12-2016 at 09:36 PM

How's Hussong's looking these days? Does it make the Least changed list?

(It always had a bit of a time warp inside, but I haven't been for years.)

willardguy - 7-12-2016 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
How's Hussong's looking these days? Does it make the Least changed list?

(It always had a bit of a time warp inside, but I haven't been for years.)

hugely improved the bano's......thats about it.

woody with a view - 7-13-2016 at 05:21 AM

Yep! My wife and I were at scorps when they were pouring the slab for the bar, we talked that night and she said "They are paying paradise I won't see this place again, better to remember is, than see what it will become". she never went back.
When they built the first house behind the lighthouse at another spot, she quit going there too. After returning about 10 years ago I told her I could go there without a tent and sleeping bag, and she cried.

First time at SJ in 90-91 there was only the outhouses. we bumped into Steve Lis and Scatolini from the hood out on the point.

rancho guillermo - 7-13-2016 at 07:50 AM

Hussongs definitely makes the least changed list. And Willardguy is correct. Banos much better than years ago.

larryC - 7-13-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  
Hussongs definitely makes the least changed list. And Willardguy is correct. Banos much better than years ago.

Guillermo,
Looks like all your Baja travels orbit around a central theme. Have you ever been to the Bar/motel/hoarhouse out in Turtle Bay? I haven't but sounds like you may have been.

Martyman - 7-13-2016 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  

I always liked the shirts that the waiters wear at Hussongs but last time I was disappointed...They had a Bud Light emblem on the shirt!

BajaTed - 7-13-2016 at 10:11 AM

I miss the old fish market in Ensenada the most, seeing and smelling fish frying in oil on the top of an old Shell oil drum with a fire underneath it. The very first baja style fish tacos. All the structures were scrap and drfitwood back then. Used to sleep in our car right next to the tower in the parking lot for free to go fishing for HUGE yellowtail. The "DD" was my favorite boat for years
My worst memory was the floods of 1969 and what happened in TJ, epic loss of life in the TJ river that was never documented. I will never forget what I saw.

rancho guillermo - 7-13-2016 at 10:20 AM

larryC...I have not had the pleasure of visiting Turtle Bay..sounds like I need to. Also Martyman...Love the Hussongs shirts also...I also saw the BudLite emblems....Really? That is a huge change. Baja Ted I can smell the fish market now...

Loving this site more and more..Makes you remember good times.

elgatoloco - 7-13-2016 at 06:44 PM

This view hasn't changed much at all since 1960. Except for the amount of sand.

ViewLookingNorth.jpg - 86kB

elgatoloco - 7-13-2016 at 06:50 PM

IMG_1537 (800x600).jpg - 211kB

David K - 7-13-2016 at 06:56 PM

Matt, which photo is past or present? Is the Weber BBQ the 1960 photo, they sure haven't changed!? Sea Level visually unchanged, but the sand level has! I love old vs. new photos. Thank you!!

Ateo - 7-13-2016 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Incredible shift of sand! Surprised the point off int he distance doesn't have homes built on it. I seen that point break nice on huge swells Sure you have too.......

elgatoloco - 7-13-2016 at 07:12 PM

No sand = April 12 2004
Sand = October 28 2012

The fact is that the sand/rock is seasonal and changes depending on the surf/swell/current direction. Typically the sand would be all in by July / Aug after spring south swells start and would be around for the summer then Nov / Dec the north swells would drag the sand off shore. In 1983 El Niño there were back to back to back massive storms and surf and all the sand that was just offshore ended up down at La Fonda / La Mision area and it was a solid 20 + years before the sand came back to its former glory in front of our place. During that same period a few of the houses on the cliff slid into the sea.

In our family albums we have dozens and dozens of photos from over the years and Punta Mesquite, Calafia and the big rocks on the beach are virtually unchanged. Kind of like me. Mostly. :saint:

elgatoloco - 7-13-2016 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Incredible shift of sand! Surprised the point off int he distance doesn't have homes built on it. I seen that point break nice on huge swells Sure you have too.......

Over the years we have witnessed some yuuuuggee surf out that way. In younger days we even ventured out there for a surf. You cant tell from the photos but there is a small 'bay' about 2/3rds of the way to the tip of that point that when the swell / tide / sand was just right had an amazing wave. We used to walk down the beach and scamper up the point (goat trail washed out in the late 80's) and head over to the 'blowhole' that is just south of Medio Camino. A few times (late 70's) when the summer doldrums meant no swell we actually walked the coast at low tide all the way around the point and up to the beach at Medio and found little caves and lots of interesting stuff. It used to be that anyone could just drive out to the point but some years ago the 'owners' of that property all along that area fenced the place off and restricted access. We figured at the time that they were going to develop it but nothing has happened. Yet.

DENNIS - 7-13-2016 at 07:44 PM

I was coming down here when the pavement ended just south of Maneadero.

MexicoTed - 7-13-2016 at 11:10 PM

How about the Miramar Bar in San Felipe. Place is pretty much the same as when I first visited in the 80's.

SFandH - 7-14-2016 at 01:05 AM

Always liked the Miramar clock that runs counter-clockwise. A real head scratcher, especially after a thousand beers. Still there?

[Edited on 7-14-2016 by SFandH]

David K - 7-14-2016 at 07:12 AM

Ditto on the Bar Miramar with backwards clock and the urinal mural with a lady using it between two men... really gets you scratching your head, lol!

It was the first bar I legally had a drink in (at 18) back in 1975 after the Baja 1000 passed by (Score's first 1000).

The Clam Man was another local San Felipe character/ site in the late 70s and early 80s with his car and building advertising that his clams "make you horny."

Clam Man and Miramar both shown on my map from 1978:

[Edited on 7-14-2016 by David K]

StuckSucks - 7-14-2016 at 04:37 PM

I first drove to Cabo in '78, with lots exploring and racing in Baja since then. A few changes that I've noticed:

- Highway 1 was sparsely signed, there were many dangerous, unannounced curves - some have been straightened, made safer.
- Cabo had no marina and was a really cool, quiet, sleepy town. Was.
- We camped on the beach about one km east of Cabo, below the cemetery. No one around.
- Once you passed the banyan tree in San Jose del Cabo, the dirt east cape road only passed thru a handful of small farms - nothing was east of town.
- The only place to find ice in Baja was where they made it in bigger towns.
- There were more Pemex stations than now - closed stations include Cataviña, Punta Prieta, etc.
- At Pescadero, we zig-zagged thru farmers' fields to get to the coast where we camped and surfed for days at a time. No one else in sight.
- Todos Santos was a quiet, honest town, with no immigrants. Was.
- Highway 1 south of Cataviña had many potholes.
- Once you cleared Ensenada on Highway 1, there was little-to-no traffic going south.
- San Felipe didn't have an arch. Pavement stopped at the airport. To head south, you took the "Old Puertecitos Rd" (not "Old" at the time). San Felipe didn't have a malecón and the traffic light didn't work.
- The road from Puertecitos to Gonzaga was particularly hellish; south of Gonzaga was fairly fast.
- No Coco at his corner. Tony Reyes taught everyone about fishing in San Felipe. Mike Leon dined with his guests at the Sky Ranch; the Clam Man walked the beaches of San Felipe. Old lady Meling blocked the Baja 1000 course next to her ranch with a Cat.
- You bought a case of Coronas, then swapped the empty bottles for full ones somewhere else on the peninsula.
- In 1986 I loaded me and my Toyota on the ferry in Cabo and went to Puerto Vallarta - an 18-hour trip. Once in PV, I was in the Central Time Zone.
- Very few topes on Highway 1.
- Highway 19 had just been paved (two lanes), but many of the bridges were missing which required driving down into the wash, then back up to rejoin the highway.
- The La Paz airport was all by itself out of town. There was nothing west of the airport.
- The first trip down, we camped on a beach south of Loreto called Nopolo. There was greenery on a wash at the south end, then a mile of beautiful sand. It was a spectacular beach. Was.
- Not that far back, the road to San Xavier was dirt the second you left Highway 1. Most of the road was not graded.

I am getting depressed.

JZ - 7-14-2016 at 07:36 PM

Agreed. The last and final nail in the coffin for that stretch was the closing of Salsipuedes. That was the last place that felt far away, yet wasn't. A perfect spot to go on a quick weekend get away that felt like you were 300 miles south. I won't camp anywhere north of Ensenada anymore. Beach access sucks everywhere except the crappy spots.

Take a boat down from SD. I took my surfer buddies a couple years back. Then we rolled into Marina Coral for the night. Hit Todos Santos the next day.

MexicoTed - 7-14-2016 at 11:15 PM

Hey StuckSucks, this one is still the same:

- You bought a case of Coronas, then swapped the empty bottles for full ones somewhere else on the peninsula.

I just did that except with Pacificos. Still doable but you have to find the spots that have Pacifico bottles.

DENNIS - 7-15-2016 at 06:51 AM

First went to the Miramar in the mid 60s. There were only two bars in town then.
I've told this story before, but it's been a while. We....a half dozen of us or so, went down to SF with three Honda Scramblers and I guess we got a little rowdy for the sleepy little town, although we really weren't ...it was just a bit too noisy for those days....so the police took our bikes and locked them in a jail cell until we were ready to leave town, at which time they released the prisoners and returned them. No fine...just a hearty adios. It was a different world fer sure.

rancho guillermo - 7-15-2016 at 07:58 AM

San Felipe mid 70's we would ride our bikes and drive buggies into town. Besides beers and other supplies you could purchase Tortillas for 5 cents a dozen if my memory serves me correctly. Sadly, not sure of the year maybe late 80's early 90's a buggy was driving thru town and struck a young local boy and killed him. The town stopped the buggies, bikes for quite awhile driving down the main drag.

David K - 7-15-2016 at 08:14 AM

Nice list Stuck!