Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: everything changes
rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 02:08 PM
everything changes

Not sure this topic has been covered, since I am new here. Would like to know thoughts on places that everyone feels have changed the least in their time traveling thru Baja. An old bar, camping areas, etc. Cabo probably the most changed, Least changed ? Inside Bar at Serenidad? Just curious. Different answers for length of years in Baja. Thanks.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 02:43 PM

Tijuana's Dandy Del Sur on 6th street....since 1957. a walk back in time.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 02:44 PM

The beach access north of Ensenada has really changed. there are many place that we can not surf anymore.
I will not talk about the places that haven't changed as I am hoping they stay that way.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 03:00 PM

Dandy del Sur...Nice. I will have to try that one...
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 03:03 PM

Speaking of Bars, the Long Bar, Revo. Ave. TJ, a classic.
In the late '80's, the then ferry Cape to Vallarta, in '87, went
over to PV with truck and cabin for 2, price was $11 dlls.,
although the ferry system was, to my knowledge, owned
and subsidized by the Mex Govt. Heard of campers at the
Cape, spending the winter on a free beach area called Shipwrecks. Camped at Bahia de Muertos, 40 mi. south/
southeast of La Paz. free camping. great place. For me
late '80's early '90's were the yrs. I logged some time
SOB, at a time of being carefree, almost forgot, in that time
period, you take in your empties and get a replacement
case of beer, $2.95. I think I knew it at the time how good it
was. but maybe not to the fullest

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 03:07 PM
Still the same....

Adelita Bar and the Hong Kong club in Tijuana are still around, or so I have been told. I think I am to old to go anymore but do have a good and vivid memory.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 03:13 PM

Speaking of Mexican dive bars (is that redundant?) try the bar at Cielto Lindo trailer park just south of San Quintin. It, and some of its patrons, haven't changed in decades. If you ever need a cheap place to park a trailer and hide out, this is it.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 04:42 PM

Interesting you mentioned Cabo. I first visited there in 1982. No marina. One paved road. One traffic light. I cannot speak for the changes in Cancun that I've seen, because I was not down there that far back. But, Cabo has to be the poster child for for change.
rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 05:11 PM

Bar at Rancho Leonero...original building..not sure about the bar.

Attachment: baja_0001.pdf (119kB)
This file has been downloaded 231 times

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
The beach access north of Ensenada has really changed. there are many place that we can not surf anymore.
I will not talk about the places that haven't changed as I am hoping they stay that way.

Agreed. The last and final nail in the coffin for that stretch was the closing of Salsipuedes. That was the last place that felt far away, yet wasn't. A perfect spot to go on a quick weekend get away that felt like you were 300 miles south. I won't camp anywhere north of Ensenada anymore. Beach access sucks everywhere except the crappy spots.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 06:46 PM

On the "changed" section.........Santa Rosalillita. I remember driving the dirt road in and camping out on the point. Once they laid pavement there it was no longer a place I wanted to camp. Never caught any friggen waves there but that was because I was an idiot and had no idea of wave forecasting and surf spot set ups.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-11-2016 at 08:36 PM

Yep! My wife and I were at scorps when they were pouring the slab for the bar, we talked that night and she said "They are paying paradise I won't see this place again, better to remember is, than see what it will become". she never went back.
When they built the first house behind the lighthouse at another spot, she quit going there too. After returning about 10 years ago I told her I could go there without a tent and sleeping bag, and she cried.

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
On the "changed" section.........Santa Rosalillita. I remember driving the dirt road in and camping out on the point. Once they laid pavement there it was no longer a place I wanted to camp. Never caught any friggen waves there but that was because I was an idiot and had no idea of wave forecasting and surf spot set ups.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 06:04 AM

Used to fish on the sport fishing boats off Ensenada back in the late 1980's. Back then Ensenada was about a 20th of the size it is now. I am still amazed at the size of it when I drive through. My boss had a little rental unit on the beach in the gringo community just north of Rosarito and we would go and stay when it wasn't rented. Rosarito was also a fraction of the size it is now. I think the Rosarito Beach Hotel was the only game in town, and there were a few bars in town, some on the rooftops of other buildings. Is there still horse back riding on the beaches? Now we drive to Baja Sur and stay in Punta Chivato!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 06:36 AM

People often say it was better in the old days. I call that sentimental dementia! Most people that live out in the boonies see development of towns and paved roads as good for bringing opportunity and access.
rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 07:31 AM
chuys

There was a place years ago..(spot where Bobby's by The sea is now, Rosarito) called Chuys. Great Hamburgers and I believe had a live monkey chained outside..Crazy. Margaret from New York was the owner. Some fun times there.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 09:36 PM

How's Hussong's looking these days? Does it make the Least changed list?

(It always had a bit of a time warp inside, but I haven't been for years.)

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2016 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
How's Hussong's looking these days? Does it make the Least changed list?

(It always had a bit of a time warp inside, but I haven't been for years.)

hugely improved the bano's......thats about it.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2016 at 05:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Yep! My wife and I were at scorps when they were pouring the slab for the bar, we talked that night and she said "They are paying paradise I won't see this place again, better to remember is, than see what it will become". she never went back.
When they built the first house behind the lighthouse at another spot, she quit going there too. After returning about 10 years ago I told her I could go there without a tent and sleeping bag, and she cried.

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  

First time at SJ in 90-91 there was only the outhouses. we bumped into Steve Lis and Scatolini from the hood out on the point.

rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2016 at 07:50 AM

Hussongs definitely makes the least changed list. And Willardguy is correct. Banos much better than years ago.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  
Hussongs definitely makes the least changed list. And Willardguy is correct. Banos much better than years ago.

Guillermo,
Looks like all your Baja travels orbit around a central theme. Have you ever been to the Bar/motel/hoarhouse out in Turtle Bay? I haven't but sounds like you may have been.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.