BajaNomad

Sentri Pass

jodiego - 9-20-2016 at 02:37 PM

I applied for a sentri pass back on July 17 of this year and I still haven't heard anything about setting up an interview, etc. How long does it take to process sentri passes these days???
:?:

bajaguy - 9-20-2016 at 02:45 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83820

jodiego - 9-20-2016 at 04:00 PM

Whoops. Been away for awhile. Thanks for the link

stiladam - 9-20-2016 at 04:06 PM

That is an unusually long time. :o

My card arrived today and the process was very quick - 3 weeks from applying to card in hand.

If you log into your GOES account you can check on you application. GOES may not message you, so you need to go there for updates on your status.

If possible you might see if you can start the process over again with Global Entry rather that Sentri. It's the same in the end - actually even better with more benefits and the process seems much easier and with minimal delays from what I hear.

bajaguy - 9-20-2016 at 04:28 PM

I believe even with global entry you still need to go into your account and add your vehicle(s)

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
If possible you might see if you can start the process over again with Global Entry rather that Sentri. It's the same in the end - actually even better with more benefits and the process seems much easier and with minimal delays from what I hear.

Sentri Delayed

El Comadante Loco - 9-20-2016 at 04:48 PM

I submitted my application for an additional vehicle on July 5th and have yet to receive approval... I called the local office in Calexico a week ago and was informed that sentri applications were taking anywhere from 3 to 5 months.

This is your government in action keeping us safe and securing our borders.
Interesting they have no problem collecting all fees up front.

stiladam - 9-20-2016 at 04:49 PM

Yes indeed 100% you need to add your vehicle. I'm not sure why, but it seems that people are having a harder time signing up for Sentri vs GE. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's user error.

Hopefully they change the system to a single application for GE. Way less confusion

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by stiladam]

stiladam - 9-20-2016 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  
I submitted my application for an additional vehicle on July 5th and have yet to receive approval... I called the local office in Calexico a week ago and was informed that sentri applications were taking anywhere from 3 to 5 months.

This is your government in action keeping us safe and securing our borders.
Interesting they have no problem collecting all fees up front.

A few people have posted about vehicle addition delays.

I wonder if vehicle additions in Global Entry are quicker than if you have Sentri only??

Hmmmmm:?:

Adding a vehicle to GE

bajaguy - 9-20-2016 at 05:21 PM

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1295/kw/sentri%...

beachbum1A - 9-21-2016 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jodiego  
I applied for a sentri pass back on July 17 of this year and I still haven't heard anything about setting up an interview, etc. How long does it take to process sentri passes these days???

13 weeks to the day b4 being notified for the pre-approval interview!

WestyWanderer - 9-21-2016 at 10:04 PM

Applied to add a new vehicle to my global entry in May, it took exactly 12 weeks to get approved.

Applied on September 5th for a Global Entry pass for my daughter, she got her pre-approval on the 12th and we scheduled her interview for October 11th at Otay Mesa. For what it's worth...

[Edited on 9-22-2016 by WestyWanderer]

jodiego - 10-3-2016 at 05:15 AM

OK. I just got my notification to set up an interview for my sentri pass. They also asked if I wanted to change to a global entry pass. If I choose to apply for the global entry pass, will I have to wait again to be approved and what would be the approximate extra wait time?

BajaMama - 10-3-2016 at 05:28 AM

Applied my father in law mid June, just got approval for interview mid-September.

Global Entry - Quick and Easy!

stiladam - 10-3-2016 at 09:24 AM

OK. I just got my notification to set up an interview for my sentri pass. They also asked if I wanted to change to a global entry pass. If I choose to apply for the global entry pass, will I have to wait again to be approved and what would be the approximate extra wait time?

I suggest going Global Entry. The GE process appears to be more streamlined. No idea why?!

I made it through the entire Global entry process from creating a GOES account to card in hand in under 3 weeks.

It took a little work with the appointment calendar. Just make an appointment that is months out and keep clicking back and between October/November. A closer appointment will pop up. Take it, then just repeat this process. Because of cancellations, you will eventually find an appointment within a week if you are persistent.

For more tips and tricks take a look at the Flyertalk Trusted Traveler forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

Best of luck. Let us know how it "GOES" :tumble:

jodiego - 10-10-2016 at 05:34 AM

Finally got my approval and set up an interview at Otay for late December. I will take you advice stiladam and keep checking back for an earlier date. I noticed that one could go for an interview at the airport in San Diego. Anyone know exactly where at the airport the interview would take place?

mexicali-kid - 10-10-2016 at 06:34 AM

I have Sentri, and I used the Global Entry line at San Diego Airport when returning from Europe. I didn't show the Sentri card, only my passport. I had no problems.

jodiego - 10-10-2016 at 07:33 AM

Not what I'm asking. Where in the airport do they do interviews to get your global entry/sentri pass?

bajaguy - 10-10-2016 at 07:41 AM

Google is your friend:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

Not what I'm asking. Where in the airport do they do interviews to get your global entry/sentri pass?

stiladam - 10-10-2016 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Google is your friend:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-...

Here's the interactive airport map that should make it a snap

http://sanmap.san.org/Html5Viewer/Index.html?viewer=sanmap

beachbum1A - 10-11-2016 at 06:40 AM

GF applied for hers in June and it took 3 months plus 1 week to get her pre-approval!

WestyWanderer - 10-11-2016 at 09:51 AM

For all those applying for SENTRI, you would be much better off applying for Global Entry and here is why:

Global Entry works the EXACTY SAME as sentri with three added benefits:

- It only costs $100 instead of $150
- It allows you to use the expedited immigration and customs line when you travel by air
- It gets you TSA precheck for any domestic flight which gets you through security faster.

Anyone wanting to apply for sentri would be stupid to not apply for Global Entry instead because it gives you more for less.

When I say it works EXACTLY as sentri I mean exactly, you get to add a vehicle (which does not need to be inspected) and you flash your global entry card when you enter through the border. When you fly internationally, you only need your passport to use the expedited line.

I want to say it one more time, if you are applying for a trusted traveler program, APPLY FOR GLOBAL ENTRY!!!!!

stiladam - 10-11-2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  

I want to say it one more time, if you are applying for a trusted traveler program, APPLY FOR GLOBAL ENTRY!!!!!

Exactly Westy...

Plus as stated multiple time in this thread; the processing time seems to be MUCH faster than applying for Sentri alone.

Hopefully they switch the entire system to GE only but we are talking government agencies here so who knows :?:

itchin 2 go - 10-18-2016 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
For all those applying for SENTRI, you would be much better off applying for Global Entry and here is why:

Anyone wanting to apply for sentri would be stupid to not apply for Global Entry instead because it gives you more for less.

FWIW,
I agree in theory, GE better than SENTRI. From what I have read GE app process seems to be much faster and is $22 cheaper. However for a family of 4-5, the cost benefit may tip the scales to SENTRI

- SENTRI cost is $122 not $150 (per person)
- SENTRI offers "Famliy Discount": 2 adults full price, kids only pay fingerprinting ($15 each)
- You can "add" GE to SENTRI at any time FOR FREE!
- For GE ALL members are required to have Passport BOOK, card does not work (since Book is needed for Air Travel). This adds more cost for a family again vs SENTRI as passport is not required for minors under 16 for LAND crossings (SENTRI).
- If you are not sure if you will be accepted, SENTRI app fee is only $25 per person ($50 max per family) vs GE which requires all $100 up front.
- Certain Credit Cards may refund $100 app fee for GE (NOT for SENTRI)

We completed (5) SENTRI apps 7/12/16. Last conditional approval received 9/28/16, so 2½ months or 11 weeks.
First available appt for 5 at same time was 11/10 @ OTAY. This works for us since wife has to request 30 days in advance for time off.
We want to add GE at our appt, but don't have the budget for 5 passport books now. We will try to get those soon a few at a time then add later.

TL;DNR

Single or couple: GE probably best for app time & $
Family on a budget: SENTRI probably best, longer but cheaper and add GE free any time (once you all have passport books).

Obviously Everyone's mileage may vary, "better" and "cheaper" (or "stupid" for that matter) can depend on your situation.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by itchin 2 go]

[Edited on 10-19-2016 by itchin 2 go]

stiladam - 10-18-2016 at 04:13 PM

Wow, that's an in depth comparison there!

I can say that Global Entry does include one vehicle with each application, so both myself and my gal added each of our vehicles with our applications. There is a charge if you add more vehicles later.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by stiladam]

Udo - 10-19-2016 at 11:52 AM

You may have a few skeletons in your closet, Joediego.

In my case, CBP took 4 months to verify my background. In my sister's case, it was 5 months. In my wife's case, it was two weeks.

stiladam - 10-19-2016 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

In my case, CBP took 4 months to verify my background. In my sister's case, it was 5 months. In my wife's case, it was two weeks.

In my case...I guess they're not skeletons if you don't get caught :lol::yes::lol:

[Edited on 10-19-2016 by stiladam]

elgatoloco - 10-19-2016 at 09:56 PM

Your wife is a saint. Obviously. :saint::dudette::biggrin:

Udo - 10-20-2016 at 12:03 PM

Yes she is...

She save my life twice...literally!

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Your wife is a saint. Obviously. :saint::dudette::biggrin:

WestyWanderer - 10-20-2016 at 10:17 PM

Itching thanks for your break down, good to see how things are changing. When I applied two years ago you could not add GE, you had to denote from the beginning, it wasn't even possible to change from SENTRI to GE at the appointment, had to be when you started the application.

Maybe they will drop the SENTRI all together, who knows