BajaNomad

Driving to Mulege ??

wlynch43 - 10-2-2016 at 11:02 AM

Hi. First time posting. Never been to Baja before, wife and I plan on crossing border San Diego area, 10/10/16. Head down to Ensenada, pick up supplies at Walmart (read there is a Walmart/Costco there) then head south as far as we can. Would we be better off supplying in states and forget Ensenada or?? Can anyone give us suggestions for stopping point first night? Will we be able to make Mulege on the second day? We will be pulling a small tent trailer behind our truck and camping so any camping suggestions would be appreciated. One last question, I have a Ram 3500 Diesel, how is diesel availability? Thanks very much for looking, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

SFandH - 10-2-2016 at 11:20 AM

We stay the first night in our camper at Santa Ynez, 1 or 2 kilometers south of the tiny place named Catavina. It's about 325 miles south of the San Ysidro border crossing, 1/2 way to Mulege. There is also a nice hotel in Catavina, not sure about the price.

You'll be in Mulege mid-afternoon the next day if you leave Catavina around 8 AM.

There is a sign marking the Santa Ynez turnoff to the left when southbound. It's a ranch with a large, open flat area with large Mesquite trees about 1 kilometer from the turn-off. Rough "paved" road. Just park, the ranch owners will come buy usually in a small car and collect 100 pesos or so. This time of the year there will probably be other travelers there but I've never seen it crowded, far from it.

Of course, there are other options.

Make sure to fill your tank at El Rosario or just before.

Get pesos at a bank ATM in Ensenada. Don't plan on spending dollars. Tell your bank you're going to Mexico before leaving.

[Edited on 10-2-2016 by SFandH]

Diesel fuel

bajaguy - 10-2-2016 at 11:29 AM

What year Ram???.....ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuel is only available in Baja California and not available south of Jesus Maria (just north of the state line between BC/BCS) headed south

Also, depending on what you want to buy at Wal-Mart/COSTCO, you may be better off shopping in San Diego

San Quintin is about 4 hours south of Tijuana, might make a good first night stop, depending on when you cross....We did Mulege to Ensenada in one very long day last year....not recommended if you are pulling a trailer

David K - 10-2-2016 at 11:42 AM

Lot's of choices...

If you are in a rush to get to Mulegé, shop at home and load your car so you don't need to repack in Ensenada... plus the Costco and Walmart are busy... anyway, where you drive to the first night depends on when you cross the border! Night driving should be avoided to miss range cattle and burros... plus not seeing the sites along the way.

To avoid unpacking and set up, motels along the highway are CHEAP (~$30)... and can be found in Colonet, San Quintin and El Rosario for the first night. Top you gas tank at El Rosario, as it is 200 miles until Villa Jesus Maria, the last Pemex with ULSD going south... Not that a couple of tanks of LSD will ruin anything before going back to ULSD.

Next to the El Rosario Pemex is the Baja Cactus Motel, a 5 star motel if there ever was such a rating. It is 225 miles south of the border... about 5 hours driving.

The next opportunity is 76 more miles, 1.5 hours, at Cataviña/ Santa Ynez for either hotel, motel, or open camping. Fuel sold out of cans there.

Have a great adventure... if you need more info, this is the place!

MulegeAL - 10-2-2016 at 12:12 PM

Recc you do most of your shopping stateside so that: 1) you know you have what you need and aren't on a treasure hunt in Ensenada with a trailer, 2) so you don't run out of daylight going south for first time because shopping in Ensenada took so long.

You do not want to be out there at night first time down, and your pace will be slow because you will not know where to pass slow traffic safely. Daylight hours are getting shorter.

Go in with at least some pesos. If you plan to use ATM, tell your bank and be prepared to call them from baja if your card gets frozen by bank tracking software.

Check your trailer tires and hubs at every gas stop too.

Have fun, it's a great experience! You'll love Mulege and the bay!

Bob and Susan - 10-2-2016 at 12:20 PM

I disagree...
why haul all that food down the road

just take what you need for a couple days
there's a big "super lay" in santa rosalia 50 minutes from mulege
and mulege has lots of stores

no need to stop at either Walmart or Costco for a vacation camping trip

I WOULD service the bearings on the trailer and make sure the tires were new AND have a spare AND make sure you can get the lugnuts off
same with the truck

I think 2 days is an easy ride

I would forget the atms and get pesos at the last exit before you cross...baja mex I think its called...best rate

you need insurance...buy it online at bajabound.com

you'll need a visa when you cross...just park in the declare parking lot...its BIG and the trailer will be easy in and out

make sure you have the registration for the tent trailer for the border people

willardguy - 10-2-2016 at 01:01 PM

keep in mind if you're going to load up on beer here.......not till 10 AM!

BajaGlenn - 10-2-2016 at 02:36 PM

Passports are needed to get back BTW!!!

basautter - 10-2-2016 at 03:05 PM

Make sure to spend at least one night in Santa Rosalia. It's a really cool town originally settled by the French for mining purposes.

AKgringo - 10-2-2016 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
Passports are needed to get back BTW!!!

If you are a US citizen, you may enter without a passport, but who knows how long you may be delayed at the border until you can prove it!

[Edited on 10-2-2016 by AKgringo]

wlynch43 - 10-2-2016 at 08:22 PM

Thanks all. Great advice. Will cross border early AM. Have been putting off Baja for years due to the usual fears but gotta do it, we are very excited. To answer truck question, I have an 05 dually, Dodge diesel, 5.9 HO model, from everything I know don't have to worry about sulphur etc with this model and year. I usually pull a fifth wheel with it but this first time down won't bring my RV, have a small Aspen tent trailer I pull behind a Honda Goldwing. It's quite comfy although not large, will bring it this first time. Also bringing a kayak to fish from and of course camping gear etc. We actually have 27 days to explore Baja so want to head south from Mulege, slow pace no rushing on this trip. No real itenary, will get as far south as we can.. My wife is Mexican and has always wanted to attend Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico so hopefully we can fit it in somewhere there! Thanks again for all the info!

BajaMama - 10-3-2016 at 05:25 AM

A few more road tips - if you plan on buying alcohol at the Ensenada Wal-Mart mind that you can't buy booze in Mexico until after 10:00 AM.

I am pretty sure you need a passport to get your Tourist Card, or FMM as we call it, at the border. You can also get your FMM online
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html#
which makes it easier, as if you get it at the border you have to get the FMM at immigration, go to the bank pay for it, then back to immigration to get it validated/stamped. If you do purchase on-line you still need to get it stamped at the border.
I buy Pesos from my bank (Bank of America). I prefer not to use my ATM card in Mexico. The current exchange at B of A is nearly 19:1.
I bring lots of food, I have a 12V fridge, but still stop at the walmart for limes, avocados, alcohol, etc. The grocery store in Santa Rosalia is pretty good. There is an agriculture check point in Guerro Negro, I always say I don't have fruit, but don't take that as advise!
South of Catavina I hear the potholes have grown (they were pretty bad in June) so take it slow from there until the Bay of LA turn off.
Enjoy Bahia Conception - beautiful this time of year!

Martyman - 10-3-2016 at 09:16 AM

Sounds like you are a little hesitant to go to Baja. A shopping trip to a Mexican store is a great intro to the culture. Don't go to walmart. Go to Soriana, Ley or the orange pelicano (Commercial). Get your money at the ATMs which have the best exchange rate.

wilderone - 10-3-2016 at 02:30 PM

I buy certain things in the US before I travel - stuff I know won't be available in Baja (or much more expensive), then buy beer, ice, salsa, tortillas, fruit/veges in Baja. Pineapple, avocado, mangos are usually cheaper then in US. In US I buy nuts, dried fruit, dry soups, granola bars, cookies/candy, tuna and salmon in pouches; all these foods are good for a quick no-cook meal or snack. Since you're not in a hurry, consider crossing in Tecate, and spending some time along the Ruta de Vino the first day. Eat at Jardines in San Quintin, camp at Los Olivos up the street. BTW, camping at Santa Ynez is about $12+ for camper vans - it was $7 for a tent abut 5 years ago. They have cold beer, coffee, and meals there as well. You can stroll in the arroyo in the morning - see the mexican blue fan palms, birds.

wlynch43 - 10-5-2016 at 09:03 AM

Thanks again all. Another question, I'm sure no set answer and probably ridiculous anyway but I have a generator covered and chained in bed of truck. I always like to take it with me to run air compressor, battery charger etc etc if needed. Probably not a good ideaa on this trip I guess? Probably just leave it behind but thought I'd run it by u. Thanks

BajaTed - 10-5-2016 at 10:02 AM

Things to do on the way:
Morbid , but a way to focus on the road is to count all the crosses on the roadside on the way down. (about 95 was my last count to B.C.)

Enjoy driving down one of the steepest road grades in the SW region.:o

Look for how steep the shoulder of the road sometimes gets and remember the tallest and then share with us:coolup:

BTW, You will all learn how to say "TOPE" real fast.

Enjoy the trip and watch the sunrise in Bahia Concepcion.:bounce:

ncampion - 10-5-2016 at 12:26 PM

One other thing about tent campers, they usually have small diameter tires which are really at risk for some of the bigger potholes that exist on the road right now, so be sure to take it easy when you get to potholeville.

weebray - 10-5-2016 at 12:55 PM

Pretty much disregard everything everyone has just told you. Buy everything in Mexico. If your wife is Mexican she'll already know how to make a great meal with the stuff you will find in ANY tienda anywhere in Baja California. You only need a cooler to keep the beer cold. Stop at any tienda and pick up some meat and veg and a few cans of Herdez salsa casera. Baja California is paved with tortillas which is where you will deposit your meat and veg and salsa. BTW, while in the tortierilla ask for a couple of "costales" large flower sacks. They will come in handy for sitting on, tablecloths, shade etc. etc. They cost about 5 pesos. I'm not sure about the camping on the beach just south of Mulege but it used to be a bit sketchy. Camp anywhere south of there on the beach. Don't over plan this stuff, you already have a bunch of stuff in your trailer/pickup you never will use. If you make it to La Paz u2u me for great places to eat and stay.

rts551 - 10-5-2016 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wlynch43  
Thanks again all. Another question, I'm sure no set answer and probably ridiculous anyway but I have a generator covered and chained in bed of truck. I always like to take it with me to run air compressor, battery charger etc etc if needed. Probably not a good ideaa on this trip I guess? Probably just leave it behind but thought I'd run it by u. Thanks

If it is not bolted down to the truck you ma have to pay an import tax. We did.

MMc - 10-5-2016 at 01:19 PM

We use the "walk away" rule if it walks away how bad will you feel or be out. If you will feel real bad or it cost more then you are comfortable, don't take it.
Way screw up a trip by losing something non critical.

SFandH - 10-5-2016 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
We use the "walk away" rule if it walks away how bad will you feel or be out. If you will feel real bad or it cost more then you are comfortable, don't take it.

Hmmm, I'm bringing my wife with me. What does that mean? :lol:

mtgoat666 - 10-5-2016 at 03:11 PM

Youll be there 27 days, so Stock up every few days. Every largish town has all the food stores youll need.
A loose generator or other valuables in an open bed truck is likely to disappear, just like in usa.

absinvestor - 10-5-2016 at 03:13 PM

Pretty good "fud" at that Santa Ynez campground!!

166802_486976494453_7166417_n-fud.jpg - 48kB

StuckSucks - 10-5-2016 at 03:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
We stay the first night in our camper at Santa Ynez, 1 or 2 kilometers south of the tiny place named Catavina.

Here's a photo sphere I took of Sta Ynez - click and drag to look around. Zoom in and out.

AKgringo - 10-5-2016 at 04:58 PM

"Fud" happens to be a brand of Mexican hot dogs and lunch meats.

StuckSucks - 10-5-2016 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
"Fud" happens to be a brand of Mexican hot dogs and lunch meats.

Is that the brand they sell at Cowpatty's?

wlynch43 - 10-5-2016 at 06:19 PM

Yep, generator stays home. Kayak though, really want to bring it.

wlynch43 - 10-6-2016 at 10:10 PM

Hi all. One last question and I promise I won't bother you anymore. I have read Bahia de Concepción is barren when it comes to fishing. Any suggestions where I can go with my kayak and maybe catch a few fish? Mulege, Loreto, or?? Further south is fine as well. Thxs.

Bob and Susan - 10-7-2016 at 05:23 AM

...I have read Bahia de Concepción is barren when it comes to fishing.../rquote]

this is an urban myth...it's true there are no marlin or sailfish or dorado...but

i can go out front and throw a lure in the water any time and catch a triggerfish...
there's bass...grouper and cabrilla too

what the bay is barren of is "real fishermen"
well...except for scott

no fishermen no fish stories

bkbend - 10-7-2016 at 06:24 AM

I use a bicycle cable lock. I found one with an end skinny enough to thread through the scupper holes and secure it to the truck rack. It won't stop a good set of bolt cutters but it will stop an opportunistic thief. I worry more about it when I stop in San Diego the night before crossing south.

I agree with Bob on the fishing. There are better places to fish from a kayak but I camped a couple nights at Conception two years ago and early every morning another camper with a kayak would paddle in with a few fish for that night's dinner.

wlynch43 - 10-7-2016 at 09:25 AM

Thanks all. Yes I use those cable type locks thru scupper ho!es as well, better than nothing. U probably already know but I use those cheap rubber practice golf balls for scupper plugs instead of the expensive scupper plugss as well. As for fishing did see a article about a guy fishing Concepción in a kayak that caught a large bass or grouper, can't remember a few years ago, somewhere around 50lbs I think. We will give it a try. Thxs again.

Ron in BC - 10-8-2016 at 03:27 PM

This year was our first time down. Just about everyone we talked to shook their head and said bad things about going to Baja. :( We had a great time with zero problems.

You're right about taking a kayak. This isn't a place where you want to be standing on the shore thinking "I wish I'd brought my kayak". :)

Resident whale shark and Coyote Beach across the water.

Ron

Baby whale shark_resize_resize.JPG - 221kB Coyote Beach from Coyote Island_resize_resize.JPG - 226kB

David K - 10-8-2016 at 04:08 PM

Awesome!
Welcome to Nomad... and remember, behind every rock is a bandito, crooked cop, and a chupacabra!

Alm - 10-8-2016 at 05:59 PM

One last question and I promise I won't bother you anymore. I have read Bahia de Concepción is barren when it comes to fishing. Any suggestions where I can go with my kayak and maybe catch a few fish? Mulege, Loreto, or??

No bother. They/we like talking here.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rule "don't take it if you can't afford to lose it". Things do disappear, even items of walmart value, - anything. Though not likely on official camp. Don't camp on a beach if you are there alone, or if you do - don't walk away where you can't clearly see the trailer. 1-1.5 hours and the tent was empty - food, small camping items, some clothes. Happened very quick, in Mulege area.

Catavina Rancho Sta Inez is nice. Not "luxury resort nice". Basically a piece of desert with bushes, cacti - and washrooms. Cheap. You can stay in your camp trailer there. It is past the actual town of Catavina. Say Hi to old Ralph if you happen to see him - gringo hermit living in the bush nearby. It could take 10 hours to get there from San Ysidro, count on 50 mph average, considering road condition and farm traffic around San Quntin.

If you cross at SY, take the right-most gate for trailers and buses - or the one closest to it. Otherwise you might have trouble getting onto Quota toll highway. Don't know how early is your "early" but 7 am is a heck of a morning traffic in Ensenada, and getting from Quota through Ensenada downtown to Hwy 1 is not "straight", literally. I agree with others that major shopping in Ensenada Walmart isn't a good idea, though, if you have to - Macroplaza with Walmart is next to Hwy 1, on the right.

With food and supplies, - bring only things that are hard to find locally or that cost more. Though it's hard to specify without knowing your needs. Basic stock you will find anywhere - meat, sugar, milk, bread etc. Fruits and vegetables - not always what you want, but there will be something. Being a tent trailer - if this is without fridge - bring your favorite canned food and dry goods. You will find some fish cans in Baja stores, but not much else.

Kayak fishing - not Mulege probably. The town is not on the sea, what fishing... Loreto - maybe. BOLA - maybe.

[Edited on 10-9-2016 by Alm]

JC43 - 10-8-2016 at 06:57 PM

If you can secure the generator somehow to the vehicle - the way that one only can take it with force - you can take the generator along with you. I know how comfortable it is in the evening or at night having some cable lamps hangin in a tree or so. Don`t you worry about the MX customs. If the generator is fixed to the vehicle, they are just waving you through. Use steel cable to lock it. Mexicans are not eager to work for something they want to steel. They want everything the easy way. And if you put it under the vehicle and secure it there, it might work as well.

willardguy - 10-8-2016 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

If you can secure the generator somehow to the vehicle - the way that one only can take it with force - you can take the generator along with you. I know how comfortable it is in the evening or at night having some cable lamps hangin in a tree or so. Don`t you worry about the MX customs. If the generator is fixed to the vehicle, they are just waving you through. Use steel cable to lock it. Mexicans are not eager to work for something they want to steel. They want everything the easy way. And if you put it under the vehicle and secure it there, it might work as well.

Use steel cable to lock it. Mexicans are not eager to work for something they want to steel. They want everything the easy way. And if you put it under the vehicle and secure it there, it might work as well.

:lol:

Alm - 10-8-2016 at 07:56 PM

Running generator for camp lights - not sure it's worth its weight (and smell), in this application.

Daylight is really short in winter. But then again, you go to sleep earlier - one of the reasons is that it's also getting colder after sunset, and they will be living pretty much in a tent.

There are propane camping lanterns. Battery-powered LED lantern will take a week before it runs out of juice. With a truck recharging a couple of AA on the road shouldn't be a problem. To each its own though.