Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving to Mulege ??
wlynch43

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 11:02 AM
Driving to Mulege ??

Hi. First time posting. Never been to Baja before, wife and I plan on crossing border San Diego area, 10/10/16. Head down to Ensenada, pick up supplies at Walmart (read there is a Walmart/Costco there) then head south as far as we can. Would we be better off supplying in states and forget Ensenada or?? Can anyone give us suggestions for stopping point first night? Will we be able to make Mulege on the second day? We will be pulling a small tent trailer behind our truck and camping so any camping suggestions would be appreciated. One last question, I have a Ram 3500 Diesel, how is diesel availability? Thanks very much for looking, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 11:20 AM

We stay the first night in our camper at Santa Ynez, 1 or 2 kilometers south of the tiny place named Catavina. It's about 325 miles south of the San Ysidro border crossing, 1/2 way to Mulege. There is also a nice hotel in Catavina, not sure about the price.

You'll be in Mulege mid-afternoon the next day if you leave Catavina around 8 AM.

There is a sign marking the Santa Ynez turnoff to the left when southbound. It's a ranch with a large, open flat area with large Mesquite trees about 1 kilometer from the turn-off. Rough "paved" road. Just park, the ranch owners will come buy usually in a small car and collect 100 pesos or so. This time of the year there will probably be other travelers there but I've never seen it crowded, far from it.

Of course, there are other options.

Make sure to fill your tank at El Rosario or just before.

Get pesos at a bank ATM in Ensenada. Don't plan on spending dollars. Tell your bank you're going to Mexico before leaving.

[Edited on 10-2-2016 by SFandH]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 11:29 AM
Diesel fuel

What year Ram???.....ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) fuel is only available in Baja California and not available south of Jesus Maria (just north of the state line between BC/BCS) headed south

Also, depending on what you want to buy at Wal-Mart/COSTCO, you may be better off shopping in San Diego

San Quintin is about 4 hours south of Tijuana, might make a good first night stop, depending on when you cross....We did Mulege to Ensenada in one very long day last year....not recommended if you are pulling a trailer
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 11:42 AM

Lot's of choices...

If you are in a rush to get to Mulegé, shop at home and load your car so you don't need to repack in Ensenada... plus the Costco and Walmart are busy... anyway, where you drive to the first night depends on when you cross the border! Night driving should be avoided to miss range cattle and burros... plus not seeing the sites along the way.

To avoid unpacking and set up, motels along the highway are CHEAP (~$30)... and can be found in Colonet, San Quintin and El Rosario for the first night. Top you gas tank at El Rosario, as it is 200 miles until Villa Jesus Maria, the last Pemex with ULSD going south... Not that a couple of tanks of LSD will ruin anything before going back to ULSD.

Next to the El Rosario Pemex is the Baja Cactus Motel, a 5 star motel if there ever was such a rating. It is 225 miles south of the border... about 5 hours driving.

The next opportunity is 76 more miles, 1.5 hours, at Cataviña/ Santa Ynez for either hotel, motel, or open camping. Fuel sold out of cans there.

Have a great adventure... if you need more info, this is the place!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:12 PM

Recc you do most of your shopping stateside so that: 1) you know you have what you need and aren't on a treasure hunt in Ensenada with a trailer, 2) so you don't run out of daylight going south for first time because shopping in Ensenada took so long.

You do not want to be out there at night first time down, and your pace will be slow because you will not know where to pass slow traffic safely. Daylight hours are getting shorter.

Go in with at least some pesos. If you plan to use ATM, tell your bank and be prepared to call them from baja if your card gets frozen by bank tracking software.

Check your trailer tires and hubs at every gas stop too.

Have fun, it's a great experience! You'll love Mulege and the bay!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:20 PM

I disagree...
why haul all that food down the road

just take what you need for a couple days
there's a big "super lay" in santa rosalia 50 minutes from mulege
and mulege has lots of stores

no need to stop at either Walmart or Costco for a vacation camping trip

I WOULD service the bearings on the trailer and make sure the tires were new AND have a spare AND make sure you can get the lugnuts off
same with the truck

I think 2 days is an easy ride

I would forget the atms and get pesos at the last exit before you cross...baja mex I think its called...best rate

you need insurance...buy it online at bajabound.com

you'll need a visa when you cross...just park in the declare parking lot...its BIG and the trailer will be easy in and out

make sure you have the registration for the tent trailer for the border people

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 01:01 PM

keep in mind if you're going to load up on beer here.......not till 10 AM!
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 02:36 PM

Passports are needed to get back BTW!!!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 03:05 PM

Make sure to spend at least one night in Santa Rosalia. It's a really cool town originally settled by the French for mining purposes.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
Passports are needed to get back BTW!!!

If you are a US citizen, you may enter without a passport, but who knows how long you may be delayed at the border until you can prove it!

[Edited on 10-2-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
wlynch43

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 08:22 PM

Thanks all. Great advice. Will cross border early AM. Have been putting off Baja for years due to the usual fears but gotta do it, we are very excited. To answer truck question, I have an 05 dually, Dodge diesel, 5.9 HO model, from everything I know don't have to worry about sulphur etc with this model and year. I usually pull a fifth wheel with it but this first time down won't bring my RV, have a small Aspen tent trailer I pull behind a Honda Goldwing. It's quite comfy although not large, will bring it this first time. Also bringing a kayak to fish from and of course camping gear etc. We actually have 27 days to explore Baja so want to head south from Mulege, slow pace no rushing on this trip. No real itenary, will get as far south as we can.. My wife is Mexican and has always wanted to attend Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico so hopefully we can fit it in somewhere there! Thanks again for all the info!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 05:25 AM

A few more road tips - if you plan on buying alcohol at the Ensenada Wal-Mart mind that you can't buy booze in Mexico until after 10:00 AM.

I am pretty sure you need a passport to get your Tourist Card, or FMM as we call it, at the border. You can also get your FMM online
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html#
which makes it easier, as if you get it at the border you have to get the FMM at immigration, go to the bank pay for it, then back to immigration to get it validated/stamped. If you do purchase on-line you still need to get it stamped at the border.
I buy Pesos from my bank (Bank of America). I prefer not to use my ATM card in Mexico. The current exchange at B of A is nearly 19:1.
I bring lots of food, I have a 12V fridge, but still stop at the walmart for limes, avocados, alcohol, etc. The grocery store in Santa Rosalia is pretty good. There is an agriculture check point in Guerro Negro, I always say I don't have fruit, but don't take that as advise!
South of Catavina I hear the potholes have grown (they were pretty bad in June) so take it slow from there until the Bay of LA turn off.
Enjoy Bahia Conception - beautiful this time of year!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 09:16 AM

Sounds like you are a little hesitant to go to Baja. A shopping trip to a Mexican store is a great intro to the culture. Don't go to walmart. Go to Soriana, Ley or the orange pelicano (Commercial). Get your money at the ATMs which have the best exchange rate.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 02:30 PM

I buy certain things in the US before I travel - stuff I know won't be available in Baja (or much more expensive), then buy beer, ice, salsa, tortillas, fruit/veges in Baja. Pineapple, avocado, mangos are usually cheaper then in US. In US I buy nuts, dried fruit, dry soups, granola bars, cookies/candy, tuna and salmon in pouches; all these foods are good for a quick no-cook meal or snack. Since you're not in a hurry, consider crossing in Tecate, and spending some time along the Ruta de Vino the first day. Eat at Jardines in San Quintin, camp at Los Olivos up the street. BTW, camping at Santa Ynez is about $12+ for camper vans - it was $7 for a tent abut 5 years ago. They have cold beer, coffee, and meals there as well. You can stroll in the arroyo in the morning - see the mexican blue fan palms, birds.
wlynch43

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 09:03 AM

Thanks again all. Another question, I'm sure no set answer and probably ridiculous anyway but I have a generator covered and chained in bed of truck. I always like to take it with me to run air compressor, battery charger etc etc if needed. Probably not a good ideaa on this trip I guess? Probably just leave it behind but thought I'd run it by u. Thanks
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 10:02 AM

Things to do on the way:
Morbid , but a way to focus on the road is to count all the crosses on the roadside on the way down. (about 95 was my last count to B.C.)

Enjoy driving down one of the steepest road grades in the SW region.:o

Look for how steep the shoulder of the road sometimes gets and remember the tallest and then share with us:coolup:

BTW, You will all learn how to say "TOPE" real fast.

Enjoy the trip and watch the sunrise in Bahia Concepcion.:bounce:

Es Todo Bueno
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 12:26 PM

One other thing about tent campers, they usually have small diameter tires which are really at risk for some of the bigger potholes that exist on the road right now, so be sure to take it easy when you get to potholeville.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 12:55 PM

Pretty much disregard everything everyone has just told you. Buy everything in Mexico. If your wife is Mexican she'll already know how to make a great meal with the stuff you will find in ANY tienda anywhere in Baja California. You only need a cooler to keep the beer cold. Stop at any tienda and pick up some meat and veg and a few cans of Herdez salsa casera. Baja California is paved with tortillas which is where you will deposit your meat and veg and salsa. BTW, while in the tortierilla ask for a couple of "costales" large flower sacks. They will come in handy for sitting on, tablecloths, shade etc. etc. They cost about 5 pesos. I'm not sure about the camping on the beach just south of Mulege but it used to be a bit sketchy. Camp anywhere south of there on the beach. Don't over plan this stuff, you already have a bunch of stuff in your trailer/pickup you never will use. If you make it to La Paz u2u me for great places to eat and stay.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wlynch43  
Thanks again all. Another question, I'm sure no set answer and probably ridiculous anyway but I have a generator covered and chained in bed of truck. I always like to take it with me to run air compressor, battery charger etc etc if needed. Probably not a good ideaa on this trip I guess? Probably just leave it behind but thought I'd run it by u. Thanks

If it is not bolted down to the truck you ma have to pay an import tax. We did.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 01:19 PM

We use the "walk away" rule if it walks away how bad will you feel or be out. If you will feel real bad or it cost more then you are comfortable, don't take it.
Way screw up a trip by losing something non critical.

Quote: Originally posted by wlynch43  

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.