BajaNomad

Body on road

unbob - 10-13-2016 at 08:03 PM

Driving sb between Cataviņa and BoLA junction today - rounded a curve and there's a body laying on the road!

It was on my side of the road with feet on the white line at the edge of the road. Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to avoid running over the body (Thank God).

Pulled off the road asap and was walking back when two Mexican guys (also driving sb) pulled over and also begin walking back to the body. They get there before me and begin lifting the body off the road. Almost immediately the "body" is standing and staggering off the road. They load the "body" in their truck and away they go! To say I was relieved is a definite understatement. Returned to my truck and went on my way.

Near as I can tell - this was apparently the guy's "hitchhiking" technique! Yes, he was in the middle of nowhere and probably desperate - but c'mon - lay in the road!?!? He could have easily been run over and killed (by me!). And what was he doing out there alone literally in the Baja outback?

A first-time event for me driving anywhere - anyone seen this before?

AKgringo - 10-13-2016 at 08:12 PM

That's a new one on me!

This would be a good place to link to Willie Nelson's "On the road again!"

JC43 - 10-13-2016 at 08:50 PM

A common technique for robberies! Not only in Mexico. All over the world this kind of stopping cars is practiced, preferred in the outback.

unbob - 10-13-2016 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
A common technique for robberies! Not only in Mexico. All over the world this kind of stopping cars is practiced, preferred in the outback.
Soooo - why wasn't I robbed? In this case, it looked like something else - I was completely ignored by the "body" and his rescuers.

Then again, another gringo motorist had stopped - so that may have aborted any robbery plan. ???

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by unbob]

bajatrailrider - 10-13-2016 at 09:31 PM

Something like that happened to us. Riding dirt bikes to the beach on dirt road. I see a horse with a body next to it. We did stop I wanted to check if he was alive. One Mexican rider said dont touch him,go get the police. So It only takes me 15min to get to police they follow me back. They asked if we moved him we said No. He was alive so drunk he fell off horse, very mad that we woke him up. It was good advice from the Mexican rider.As when the police woke him up he was in a fighting mood.

del mar - 10-13-2016 at 10:06 PM

well this is weird.....about 3 hours ago just pass the north bound checkpoint leaving el rosario my buddy says did you see that body? we stop, back up, stop along side this guy laying right on the highway.....we honk our horn a half dozen times, finally the guy raises his head,throws us a wave, and we're off!:?:

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by del mar]

shari - 10-14-2016 at 06:49 AM

Holey fakin dead guy....that is a crazy story and yet another great example of why I love this site...it is so informative!!! Thanks for reporting it so when we see it, we will know what's happening...sheesh.

ehall - 10-14-2016 at 06:56 AM

LOL happens all the time up here on reservation land.

redmesa - 10-14-2016 at 06:58 AM

On the Viscaino to Bahia Asuncion road we encountered a car parked in the middle of the road with the doors open. One guy lying half in and out of car and the other lying on the side of the road. The music was blaring and they were not moving. We assumed dead drunk but clearly a seriously bad place to stop for a pee and a drunkin sleep.

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by redmesa]

DENNIS - 10-14-2016 at 07:05 AM

Lemme guess. The other vehicle was a pick-up and the guy in the road fell out of the bed.

mtgoat666 - 10-14-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Lemme guess. The other vehicle was a pick-up and the guy in the road fell out of the bed.

The guy fell off the wagon

honda tom - 10-14-2016 at 08:09 AM

Between el rosario and catavina in june I saw a body laying face up at a turnout. did not stop as i had wife and kids with me. middle of nowhere, no vehicle in sight.

bajatrailrider - 10-14-2016 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Between el rosario and catavina in june I saw a body laying face up at a turnout. did not stop as i had wife and kids with me. middle of nowhere, no vehicle in sight.
That is smart thing to do as this is happening too often. You never know what there up too.

JC43 - 10-14-2016 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Soooo - why wasn't I robbed? In this case, it looked like something else - I was completely ignored by the "body" and his rescuers.

Then again, another gringo motorist had stopped - so that may have aborted any robbery plan. ???

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by unbob]

Your question indicates that you are not smart enough to understand. That`s why I`m not explaining any further.

stiladam - 10-14-2016 at 08:43 AM

Darn...can't drive at night because of the cattle in the road. Can't drive during the day because of the hitchhikers in the road? :P

Sounds plausible but he should lay on the side of the direction that he wants to go

Martyman - 10-14-2016 at 09:11 AM

It seems like every trip I see some guy walking along the highway in the middle of nowhere. Where did he come from? Where is he going?

Skipjack Joe - 10-14-2016 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  

Sounds plausible but he should lay on the side of the direction that he wants to go

I like that idea. Laying on the road with your arms aside pointing in the desired direction like a road sign. Could work. Better than using your thumb.

micah202 - 10-14-2016 at 09:20 AM

...yah, let gravity do what it does best! :P

woody with a view - 10-14-2016 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Where is he going?

Reminds me of the time the CHP pulled me over on the freeway and the first words outta his mouth was, "Where ya heading?" I pointed directly forward and replied, "That way...."

DENNIS - 10-14-2016 at 10:09 AM

It seems like every trip I see some guy walking along the highway in the middle of nowhere. Where did he come from? Where is he going?

It's like, who in the world paints all those rocks white? You never see them being painted.

JC43 - 10-14-2016 at 12:05 PM

It's like, who in the world paints all those rocks white? You never see them being painted.

I was asking my wife the same question a hundred times when travelling. Is a Mexican paying for the color??? Doubt it. On the way south from Mulege around the Santispac area, there are rocks painted white some hundred yards towards the top of the hill. Who is climbing up there with three or four buckets of color to bring to that point???:?::?::?:

sancho - 10-14-2016 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
One Mexican rider said dont touch him,go get the police. It was good advice from the Mexican rider.

In a somewhat similar situation, I understand Mex MAY not have the type of
good Samaritan laws, as some US states have. That is that
rendering physical help to an injured person, one COULD be
charged with 'practicing medicine without a license'. If or
when that would arise is anybodys guess

mtgoat666 - 10-14-2016 at 01:21 PM

I was asking my wife the same question a hundred times when travelling. Is a Mexican paying for the color??? Doubt it. On the way south from Mulege around the ???:?::?::?:

If not mexicans, perhaps canadians are doing it.

DENNIS - 10-14-2016 at 02:04 PM

"White Rocks matter"

motoged - 10-14-2016 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
.... If not mexicans, perhaps canadians are doing it.

Yeah....that's the ticket :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyp9fh-u4w8

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
One Mexican rider said dont touch him,go get the police. It was good advice from the Mexican rider.

In a somewhat similar situation, I understand Mex MAY not have the type of
good Samaritan laws, as some US states have. That is that
rendering physical help to an injured person, one COULD be
charged with 'practicing medicine without a license'. If or
when that would arise is anybodys guess

Years back [everything now is "years back"] we were traveling south at night around... ohh I don't remember....Hermosillo, and we came across a car turned over on the side of the road, wheels still spinning, and the driver in really messed up condition.
we managed to get him into our car and we went to the nearest town and found a 24 hr clinic, so we got the guy inside for help. The person in the clinic said we would have to pay all the bills before we could leave. yeah....right.
In my best Spanish, I said bye bye and we were down the avenue.

basautter - 10-15-2016 at 02:09 PM

Sounds like a trap! Throw out a few water bottles, and report it at the next town. Same goes for people who have cars that are not running...

willardguy - 10-15-2016 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Sounds like a trap! Throw out a few water bottles, and report it at the next town. Same goes for people who have cars that are not running...

yeah? what if its YOUR car thats broken down.....throw a couple water bottles at you?

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 02:44 PM

I find this discussion disturbing. Who in their right mind would travel the Baja Road without enough convenient, in-hand, weaponry to defend his/her self if a bad encounter developed? Are you people nuts?
Stop to give assistance with Tazer...or better, in hand. If you smell a rat, shoot it.
Vigilance is all-important...as is the need to help when necessary.

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

That's sad.

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 06:22 PM

Last night (14 Oct) the Aguila bus was robbed at gunpoint between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. All 27 passengers lost their "goods" by someone yelling and waving a pistol. SO you never know.

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Last night (14 Oct) the Aguila bus was robbed at gunpoint between Guerrero Negro and Vizcaino. All 27 passengers lost their "goods" by someone yelling and waving a pistol. SO you never know.

:wow:

I didn't see that news in either of two La Paz newspapers I read today. Seems like it should have made front page headlines. You sure about your source?

Yes I am sure.

http://www.vizcainohoy.com/index.php/vizcainonoticias/item/1...

AKgringo - 10-15-2016 at 07:15 PM

So the bus was robbed by one of the passengers? (Google translated)

Disturbing news, the robber and the highway loungers!

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
So the bus was robbed by one of the passengers? (Google translated)

Disturbing news, the robber and the highway loungers!

Do not know where he got on, but he got off the bus after unloading the passengers of anything of value. I assume he had someone waiting for him since it was in-between GN and Vizcaino. WHole thing was planned...not unlike someone in wait on the highway.

shari - 10-15-2016 at 07:29 PM

I always thought that the bus would be an easy target full of folks who are traveling with money, phones, computers etc. I often look at some of the seedy looking critters at the back of the bus and wonder...
I think I will be even more inclined to look for rides now and put valuables in the suitcase down below....sheesh.

KurtG - 10-15-2016 at 07:35 PM

Looks like the robber was arrested today.

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Looks like the robber was arrested today.

I wonder why the caveat at the end of the article... The Vizcaino police arrested the person who stole my car in June and then let him go with the only explanation of "paperwork error". Guess I did not offer enough recompensa to the police. I go nothing back and he is still roaming around.

unbob - 10-15-2016 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
This the same guy laying in the road? I wonder ... a desperado for sure.

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2016 at 08:51 PM

Seems like a demented robber to me. You're in an inhospitable desert with a single paved road and with hundreds of miles between you and any large city in either direction. Where are you going to hide? Am I wrong on this?

AKgringo - 10-15-2016 at 08:56 PM

Have we come full circle on this thread? Was the guy on the road waiting for a bus? :?:

[Edited on 10-16-2016 by AKgringo]

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2016 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Seems like a demented robber to me. You're in an inhospitable desert with a single paved road and with hundreds of miles between you and any large city in either direction. Where are you going to hide? Am I wrong on this?

The remote location has no phone reception. Bad guys got lots of time to get away. Lots of desert to hide in. Several unpaved roads allow travel to other parts of Baja while avoiding paved roads. And Maybe it was local banditos?

If you stick up a bus, remote desert safer for criminal than urban area.

durrelllrobert - 10-16-2016 at 08:57 AM

I remember readind a newspaper article,"years ago" about 3 guys that would park their car on the dirt shoulder of the road somewhere between Yuma and Havasu City. They would open the trunk and place a scantily dressed female mannequin in the dirt behind that. One of the three would hide in the bushes near the front of the car, the driver would lie down on front seat so that he couldn't be seen and the third guy would do the same in the back seat.
Eventually a good samaratin would come along and after spotting the mannequin come to a screeching halt 10 or so yards in front. As soon as he got out and started waking back towards the car the first guy would jump out of the bushes, jump into his car with all it's contents and speed away. The guy in the back seat would jump out, throw the mannequin in the trunk and get back in as the driver sped off leaving the poor victim just standing there.
According to the article they did this 3 or 4 times sucessfully before they were coaught be a Sheriff's deputy.

mtgoat666 - 10-16-2016 at 09:25 AM

Have we come full circle on this thread? Was the guy on the road waiting for a bus? :?:

i saw an article online saying they caught the guy, coppers stopped a toyota on some local road and found loot from bus. do highway bandits prefer toyotas for their superior reliability?

wilderone - 10-16-2016 at 10:02 AM

Maybe travel with the Plan B wallet handy: wallet with duplicate, expired, fake credit cards, a couple of $1 bills, other fake bills (photocopies), some change in pennies, 1 pesos - just hand over the whole wallet.

KurtG - 10-16-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

i saw an article online saying they caught the guy, coppers stopped a toyota on some local road and found loot from bus. do highway bandits prefer toyotas for their superior reliability?

Nope, article said white Chevy Cavalier.

DENNIS - 10-16-2016 at 12:31 PM

Never lose sight of one salient fact: when a cop pulls you over for mordida purposes, that is armed robbery.

My experience with body on side of road

elskel - 10-16-2016 at 08:04 PM

Probably about 10 to 12 years ago heading north up the peninsula, I left Loreto at about 5am. In the car was my wife and 4 kids (ages 7 to 12) all sleeping. About 3 or 4 miles north of town, I came around a right bend on the highway and on the shoulder was a body. The legs were about 3 ft over the white shoulder line and the head of the body pointing north. Needless to say it startled the hell out of me. I slowed, but kept going. Didn't know if the body was a drunk, hit by car or a set up for robbery. That is my experience. bk