Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Body on road
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 08:03 PM
Body on road

Driving sb between Cataviņa and BoLA junction today - rounded a curve and there's a body laying on the road!

It was on my side of the road with feet on the white line at the edge of the road. Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to avoid running over the body (Thank God).

Pulled off the road asap and was walking back when two Mexican guys (also driving sb) pulled over and also begin walking back to the body. They get there before me and begin lifting the body off the road. Almost immediately the "body" is standing and staggering off the road. They load the "body" in their truck and away they go! To say I was relieved is a definite understatement. Returned to my truck and went on my way.

Near as I can tell - this was apparently the guy's "hitchhiking" technique! Yes, he was in the middle of nowhere and probably desperate - but c'mon - lay in the road!?!? He could have easily been run over and killed (by me!). And what was he doing out there alone literally in the Baja outback?

A first-time event for me driving anywhere - anyone seen this before?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 08:12 PM

That's a new one on me!

This would be a good place to link to Willie Nelson's "On the road again!"

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 08:50 PM

A common technique for robberies! Not only in Mexico. All over the world this kind of stopping cars is practiced, preferred in the outback.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
A common technique for robberies! Not only in Mexico. All over the world this kind of stopping cars is practiced, preferred in the outback.
Soooo - why wasn't I robbed? In this case, it looked like something else - I was completely ignored by the "body" and his rescuers.

Then again, another gringo motorist had stopped - so that may have aborted any robbery plan. ???

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by unbob]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 09:31 PM

Something like that happened to us. Riding dirt bikes to the beach on dirt road. I see a horse with a body next to it. We did stop I wanted to check if he was alive. One Mexican rider said dont touch him,go get the police. So It only takes me 15min to get to police they follow me back. They asked if we moved him we said No. He was alive so drunk he fell off horse, very mad that we woke him up. It was good advice from the Mexican rider.As when the police woke him up he was in a fighting mood.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 10:06 PM

well this is weird.....about 3 hours ago just pass the north bound checkpoint leaving el rosario my buddy says did you see that body? we stop, back up, stop along side this guy laying right on the highway.....we honk our horn a half dozen times, finally the guy raises his head,throws us a wave, and we're off!:?:

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by del mar]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 06:49 AM

Holey fakin dead guy....that is a crazy story and yet another great example of why I love this site...it is so informative!!! Thanks for reporting it so when we see it, we will know what's happening...sheesh.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 06:56 AM

LOL happens all the time up here on reservation land.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 06:58 AM

On the Viscaino to Bahia Asuncion road we encountered a car parked in the middle of the road with the doors open. One guy lying half in and out of car and the other lying on the side of the road. The music was blaring and they were not moving. We assumed dead drunk but clearly a seriously bad place to stop for a pee and a drunkin sleep.

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by redmesa]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:05 AM

Lemme guess. The other vehicle was a pick-up and the guy in the road fell out of the bed.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Lemme guess. The other vehicle was a pick-up and the guy in the road fell out of the bed.

The guy fell off the wagon
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:09 AM

Between el rosario and catavina in june I saw a body laying face up at a turnout. did not stop as i had wife and kids with me. middle of nowhere, no vehicle in sight.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  
Between el rosario and catavina in june I saw a body laying face up at a turnout. did not stop as i had wife and kids with me. middle of nowhere, no vehicle in sight.
That is smart thing to do as this is happening too often. You never know what there up too.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Soooo - why wasn't I robbed? In this case, it looked like something else - I was completely ignored by the "body" and his rescuers.

Then again, another gringo motorist had stopped - so that may have aborted any robbery plan. ???

[Edited on 10-14-2016 by unbob]

Your question indicates that you are not smart enough to understand. That`s why I`m not explaining any further.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:43 AM

Darn...can't drive at night because of the cattle in the road. Can't drive during the day because of the hitchhikers in the road? :P

Sounds plausible but he should lay on the side of the direction that he wants to go
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 09:11 AM

It seems like every trip I see some guy walking along the highway in the middle of nowhere. Where did he come from? Where is he going?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  

Sounds plausible but he should lay on the side of the direction that he wants to go

I like that idea. Laying on the road with your arms aside pointing in the desired direction like a road sign. Could work. Better than using your thumb.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 09:20 AM

...yah, let gravity do what it does best! :P
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
Where is he going?

Reminds me of the time the CHP pulled me over on the freeway and the first words outta his mouth was, "Where ya heading?" I pointed directly forward and replied, "That way...."

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 10:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  
It seems like every trip I see some guy walking along the highway in the middle of nowhere. Where did he come from? Where is he going?

It's like, who in the world paints all those rocks white? You never see them being painted.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.