BajaNomad

Forgive me Father ...

unbob - 10-14-2016 at 07:17 PM

... for I have sinned.

Drove through the “Servicio de Desinsectizacion” inspection station yesterday without stopping with the attendant pounding on the side of my RV.

I was thinking I'd had enough of this scam operation and refused to be a sucker once again.

However, as I drove on down the highway pangs of fear and guilt swept over me thinking I had done a very bad thing. After all, it's only a measly $20 pesos 'fer christsake! And even if it is indeed a scam - some poor guys are making a living to feed their starving families, etc.

And then what if he calls the Federales and I end up in jail paying a huge fine - all to avoid paying a few pesos?

And what business do I have breaking the law or rules in another country - what was I thinking?

I hereby state I will never do that again - let them have my precious few pesos and go my merry way. Life is too short for such transgressions.

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by unbob]

AKgringo - 10-14-2016 at 07:31 PM

As your penance, you must not only pay for spray next time, but must also throw away the produce in your car.

Now go, and sin no more!

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by AKgringo]

shari - 10-14-2016 at 07:33 PM

it isnt a scam...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state. I know many of the guys who work there...they are just doing their job...geeze.

good thing you are catholic and your sins are absolved...:cool:

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2016 at 07:35 PM

Like you say, even if it is a scam, better that than stealing while you are not aware.

Even the stinky rag window washers ... better than stealing.

I read in the gringo gazette that some of the collectors for drug rehab centers get half the take....about 20 years ago I had a student who said she started a rehab center in TJ in honor of her son dying of drug overdose. She never mentioned collectors getting half but they have to make a living also - in this case I wd rather give directly to the center. I am still trying to wrap my head around that one.

and remember, that guy has to stand there all day - he is just trying to make a living as well - repent repent LOL

mtgoat666 - 10-14-2016 at 07:56 PM

A rich gringo drove his $100,000 RV thru the stop thumbing his nose at the poor working stiff making $3 per hour.

Stay classy!

mtgoat666 - 10-14-2016 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Like you say, even if it is a scam, better that than stealing while you are not aware.

Even the stinky rag window washers ... better than stealing.

I read in the gringo gazette that some of the collectors for drug rehab centers get half the take....about 20 years ago I had a student who said she started a rehab center in TJ in honor of her son dying of drug overdose. She never mentioned collectors getting half but they have to make a living also - in this case I wd rather give directly to the center. I am still trying to wrap my head around that one.

and remember, that guy has to stand there all day - he is just trying to make a living as well - repent repent LOL

Workers at charities need to make a living too. If 50% of donations make it to recipients, that's about right for some small charities.
Everybody deserves a job and deserves respect. If society doesn't provide that, society is broken.

Hook - 10-14-2016 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
it isnt a scam...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state. I know many of the guys who work there...they are just doing their job...geeze.

good thing you are catholic and your sins are absolved...:cool:

I'm just wondering why an AGRICULTURAL inspection has occasionally confiscated MEATS from me............well, until I got wise and hid my meats anywhere but my ice chest/fridge.

Shari, maybe you can clear up how the confiscated items are "disposed" of. Certainly you have talked to the guys about this.

We always figured that they were "disposed" of at the dinner table, that night.

As to why the confiscated list always seemed to change, we just figured they got tired of eating beef, or strawberries or avocados or whatever they were confiscating LAST time.

rts551 - 10-14-2016 at 08:08 PM

Thank you Shari.. Signs posted, uniforms on, Trucks inspected and some people still think its a scam. Ag inspection guys.

basautter - 10-15-2016 at 06:05 AM

Not too cool....and to save 20 pesos??

unbob - 10-15-2016 at 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
The $$$ wasn't the issue - it was the thought that it was a scam. Shari convinced me otherwise - it won't happen again. I'll gladly pay-up. ˇViva Mexico!

spray job

chatolj - 10-15-2016 at 07:02 AM

i believe the "fee" is a contribution not a mandatory payment if i read the receipt correctly. One time after an unusually tuff inspectio, i just told the guy this time he wasn't getting any $ and he said nothing and sent me through.

Elona - 10-15-2016 at 07:29 AM

...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state.

Hopefully the insects know, that they should not walk / fly over the stateline :lol:.

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 07:32 AM

Ahh, c'mon folks. Sometimes you just get tired of playing the game.
Years back when getting a car permit in Sonoyta, they had mandatory spraying for a mandatory tip, as in "no play....no permit." They used tap water. Maybe today they use Sparklets.

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Elona  

Hopefully the insects know, that they should not walk / fly over the stateline :lol:.

==================

A strong argument for building a Bug Wall.

DaliDali - 10-15-2016 at 08:04 AM

Apparently there are no bugs south of that line.....going north bound there is no spraying going on.

Udo - 10-15-2016 at 08:14 AM

Just for your information:

The agricultural inspector have two recipe books...one for $20 Pesos and another one (not used very often) a $10.00 Peso book.:light:

I keep both old ticket copies in both cars, depending on which car I take South.
When they bring out the $20 Peso book, I tell them..."last time you charged me $10 pesos." Then they walk back and get the $10.00 Peso book.:light::bounce:

We sent South one time on my motorcycle, and they waved me right through. I guess they don't spray bikes.

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

KurtG - 10-15-2016 at 08:44 AM

Come on, folks! Its 20 Pesos. Pay it with a smile and drive on. I see discussions here about high end hotels and restaurants with no price complaints and then complaints about 20 PESOS at the state line. This is just a petty issue. And no Udo, they don't spray motorcycles.

David K - 10-15-2016 at 09:22 AM

There was no ag inspection or spray station before the late 1990s or 2000. The highway has been there since late 1973. I drove on the paved road across the 28° parallel in '73, '74, '76, '85... In 2001, the guy with a gas mask, pulled off his face, asked for a beer (not 20 pesos)!!!

Also, the spray/ inspection is only on Hwy. 1 and not any of the other roads across the state border. The local Guerrero Negro residents don't even mess with that guy and take another road across the border nearby.

I think you might call it a "legal government scam" because a rule or law should apply to all, not just a selected group, should it not? Does it do any good? How many norteamericanos are hauling fruit infected with flies or have nests of them under their cars? I can see the logic of inspecting cargo trucks... but is any fruit trucked to southern Baja from northern Baja?

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There was no ag inspection or spray station before the late 1990s or 2000.

======================

That's in Baja. Mainland has had them for a long time.

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by DENNIS]

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 09:35 AM

Ag inspection points have been used in the USA and Mexico for a long time. They are one of the few ways of controlling pests and disease that can effect the economy on an entire area.

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 09:35 AM

One of these days, I'm gonna reach in there and strangle that quote box

AKgringo - 10-15-2016 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

One of these days, I'm gonna reach in there and strangle that quote box

Can I quote you on that?.....Oh, I guess I just did!

David K - 10-15-2016 at 09:47 AM

Yes, I was talking about Baja... I have been on the mainland highway from San Luis south to Guadalajara, Mazatlan north to San Luis, and Guaymas north, also... all many years ago.

Is the Guerrero Negro spray really doing any good? You here have said that you lie about having fruit to avoid losing it (of course, who here has fruit infected or even from northern Baja, going south). Is that spray (only a couple of the jets weren't clogged last time I watched a car in front get sprayed) really insecticide or just water?

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2016 at 10:24 AM

Invasive pests destroy agricultural crops, destroy native plants. Look at the pine bark beetles destroying so cal pine trees! Look at med fruit fly! Look at invasive species taking over Florida wetlands!
The rules have a purpose, to protect economies.
Don't be an a$$hat and break the rules!

David K - 10-15-2016 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Invasive pests destroy agricultural crops, destroy native plants. Look at the pine bark beetles destroying so cal pine trees! Look at med fruit fly! Look at invasive species taking over Florida wetlands!
The rules have a purpose, to protect economies.
Don't be an a$$hat and break the rules!

Correct, don't break the rules... but the rules must apply to everyone on every road to be effective if pest elimination is the true goal. There are no spray stations on any other roads that cross the state border and that spary booth on Hwy. 1 is not always open. So, what is the purpose... get some of the bugs or just collect a fee? Kind of like FMMs that never get looked at by anyone after buying them, lol!

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2016 at 11:49 AM

Shees. You're getting sprayed, not spayed. Suck it up.

shari - 10-15-2016 at 01:32 PM

a friend of our likes to get double doused and back over it a couple times...says it kills all the black widows and other creepy crawlies that may be lurking in your underside.

it has been several years since we were charged 10 pesos Udo...I highly doubt there are two prices.

motoged - 10-15-2016 at 02:44 PM

it has been several years since we were charged 10 pesos Udo...I highly doubt there are two prices.

Udo's earlier post indicated that there were two "recipe" books....as I hear he likes to cook, maybe he was focusing on birria more than bugs :biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 10-15-2016 at 04:53 PM

There may not be two prices but they sure look more enthusiastic when a gringo comes along. I see them running out of their bungalows when I'm 300 yards away. They're far less interested in Mexicans.

BajaBill74 - 10-15-2016 at 05:05 PM

I think it was two years ago that they asked me of $20 for the first time. I said "No it's $10". He said okay. I gave him $10 and he let me through. Didn't give me a receipt though.

Hook - 10-15-2016 at 05:40 PM

So, what are they growing in Baja Sur that needs this protection so badly?

I thought all the produce in Baja was grown NORTH of where they collect that.

DENNIS - 10-15-2016 at 05:52 PM

They don't want bugs in the mota. :o

rts551 - 10-15-2016 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Lots of ag...Tomatoes, chiles, lettuce etc in Vicaino and Constitucion.

KurtG - 10-15-2016 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Lots of ag...Tomatoes, chiles, lettuce etc in Vicaino and Constitucion.

And many other areas in BCS like Mulege Valley, La Purisima/San Isidro and the Insurgentes/Constitucion region. Mexico gets to make its Ag laws and whether foreigners agree with them or not is irrelevant. And as to 10 or 20 pesos we are talking about fifty cents, I would be embarrassed to complain about it.

unbob - 10-15-2016 at 08:32 PM

The local Guerrero Negro residents don't even mess with that guy and take another road across the border nearby.
That's another reason I drove on through without stopping - the local car in front of me did the same! Locals don't stop/don't pay. Only gringos stop/pay.

mtgoat666 - 10-15-2016 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
The local Guerrero Negro residents don't even mess with that guy and take another road across the border nearby.
That's another reason I drove on through without stopping - the local car in front of me did the same! Locals don't stop/don't pay. Only gringos stop/pay.

DK doesn't know jack. Don't listen to DK, don't be an a$$hat.

unbob - 10-15-2016 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
There may not be two prices but they sure look more enthusiastic when a gringo comes along. I see them running out of their bungalows when I'm 300 yards away. They're far less interested in Mexicans.
Agree! My observation as well.