Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Forgive me Father ...
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:17 PM
Forgive me Father ...

... for I have sinned.

Drove through the “Servicio de Desinsectizacion” inspection station yesterday without stopping with the attendant pounding on the side of my RV.

I was thinking I'd had enough of this scam operation and refused to be a sucker once again.

However, as I drove on down the highway pangs of fear and guilt swept over me thinking I had done a very bad thing. After all, it's only a measly $20 pesos 'fer christsake! And even if it is indeed a scam - some poor guys are making a living to feed their starving families, etc.

And then what if he calls the Federales and I end up in jail paying a huge fine - all to avoid paying a few pesos?

And what business do I have breaking the law or rules in another country - what was I thinking?

I hereby state I will never do that again - let them have my precious few pesos and go my merry way. Life is too short for such transgressions.

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by unbob]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:31 PM

As your penance, you must not only pay for spray next time, but must also throw away the produce in your car.

Now go, and sin no more!

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:33 PM

it isnt a scam...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state. I know many of the guys who work there...they are just doing their job...geeze.

good thing you are catholic and your sins are absolved...:cool:

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:35 PM

Like you say, even if it is a scam, better that than stealing while you are not aware.

Even the stinky rag window washers ... better than stealing.

I read in the gringo gazette that some of the collectors for drug rehab centers get half the take....about 20 years ago I had a student who said she started a rehab center in TJ in honor of her son dying of drug overdose. She never mentioned collectors getting half but they have to make a living also - in this case I wd rather give directly to the center. I am still trying to wrap my head around that one.

and remember, that guy has to stand there all day - he is just trying to make a living as well - repent repent LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:56 PM

A rich gringo drove his $100,000 RV thru the stop thumbing his nose at the poor working stiff making $3 per hour.

Stay classy!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Like you say, even if it is a scam, better that than stealing while you are not aware.

Even the stinky rag window washers ... better than stealing.

I read in the gringo gazette that some of the collectors for drug rehab centers get half the take....about 20 years ago I had a student who said she started a rehab center in TJ in honor of her son dying of drug overdose. She never mentioned collectors getting half but they have to make a living also - in this case I wd rather give directly to the center. I am still trying to wrap my head around that one.

and remember, that guy has to stand there all day - he is just trying to make a living as well - repent repent LOL

Workers at charities need to make a living too. If 50% of donations make it to recipients, that's about right for some small charities.
Everybody deserves a job and deserves respect. If society doesn't provide that, society is broken.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
it isnt a scam...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state. I know many of the guys who work there...they are just doing their job...geeze.

good thing you are catholic and your sins are absolved...:cool:

I'm just wondering why an AGRICULTURAL inspection has occasionally confiscated MEATS from me............well, until I got wise and hid my meats anywhere but my ice chest/fridge.

Shari, maybe you can clear up how the confiscated items are "disposed" of. Certainly you have talked to the guys about this.

We always figured that they were "disposed" of at the dinner table, that night.

As to why the confiscated list always seemed to change, we just figured they got tired of eating beef, or strawberries or avocados or whatever they were confiscating LAST time.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2016 at 08:08 PM

Thank you Shari.. Signs posted, uniforms on, Trucks inspected and some people still think its a scam. Ag inspection guys.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 06:05 AM

Not too cool....and to save 20 pesos??
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
The $$$ wasn't the issue - it was the thought that it was a scam. Shari convinced me otherwise - it won't happen again. I'll gladly pay-up. ˇViva Mexico!
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 07:02 AM
spray job

i believe the "fee" is a contribution not a mandatory payment if i read the receipt correctly. One time after an unusually tuff inspectio, i just told the guy this time he wasn't getting any $ and he said nothing and sent me through.
Elona
Junior Nomad

Mood: BC Addict

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 07:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
...it is a government regulation and run by the government agricultural branch to try to minimize pest problems from another state.

Hopefully the insects know, that they should not walk / fly over the stateline :lol:.

Saludos

Elona

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 07:32 AM

Ahh, c'mon folks. Sometimes you just get tired of playing the game.
Years back when getting a car permit in Sonoyta, they had mandatory spraying for a mandatory tip, as in "no play....no permit." They used tap water. Maybe today they use Sparklets.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Elona  

Hopefully the insects know, that they should not walk / fly over the stateline :lol:.

==================

A strong argument for building a Bug Wall.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 08:04 AM

Apparently there are no bugs south of that line.....going north bound there is no spraying going on.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 08:14 AM

Just for your information:

The agricultural inspector have two recipe books...one for $20 Pesos and another one (not used very often) a $10.00 Peso book.:light:

I keep both old ticket copies in both cars, depending on which car I take South.
When they bring out the $20 Peso book, I tell them..."last time you charged me $10 pesos." Then they walk back and get the $10.00 Peso book.:light::bounce:

We sent South one time on my motorcycle, and they waved me right through. I guess they don't spray bikes.

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 08:44 AM

Come on, folks! Its 20 Pesos. Pay it with a smile and drive on. I see discussions here about high end hotels and restaurants with no price complaints and then complaints about 20 PESOS at the state line. This is just a petty issue. And no Udo, they don't spray motorcycles.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 09:22 AM

There was no ag inspection or spray station before the late 1990s or 2000. The highway has been there since late 1973. I drove on the paved road across the 28° parallel in '73, '74, '76, '85... In 2001, the guy with a gas mask, pulled off his face, asked for a beer (not 20 pesos)!!!

Also, the spray/ inspection is only on Hwy. 1 and not any of the other roads across the state border. The local Guerrero Negro residents don't even mess with that guy and take another road across the border nearby.

I think you might call it a "legal government scam" because a rule or law should apply to all, not just a selected group, should it not? Does it do any good? How many norteamericanos are hauling fruit infected with flies or have nests of them under their cars? I can see the logic of inspecting cargo trucks... but is any fruit trucked to southern Baja from northern Baja?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There was no ag inspection or spray station before the late 1990s or 2000.

======================

That's in Baja. Mainland has had them for a long time.

[Edited on 10-15-2016 by DENNIS]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 09:35 AM

Ag inspection points have been used in the USA and Mexico for a long time. They are one of the few ways of controlling pests and disease that can effect the economy on an entire area.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.