BajaNomad

How chipping your pet may save both of you

Whale-ista - 11-13-2016 at 11:29 AM

I hadn't considered this before- but it's certainly useful, especially for someone who travels solo in Baja and beyond.

Don't just chip your pet for their safety- do it for both of you. If you are ever injured and unable to provide contact information to first responders, an up-to-date chip in your pet may be a link to help them get assistance for both of you.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/know-dog-owner-needs-help/

Please pass this info along to other Baja travelers, and also first responders you know. If they ever transport an injured person with a pet, and have trouble getting contact info, this might be helpful for them also.

I don't know how common chip readers are in Baja- has anyone had experience with that? Do many vets and rescue operations have chip scanners, as they do in the US?

If not- might be worth donating a few for this purpose- the life it saves might be your own, or someone dear to you.

mtgoat666 - 11-13-2016 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
I hadn't considered this before- but it's certainly useful, especially for someone who travels solo in Baja and beyond.

Don't just chip your pet for their safety- do it for both of you. If you are ever injured and unable to provide contact information to first responders, an up-to-date chip in your pet may be a link to help them get assistance for both of you.

why not chip yourself?
Put a tattoo over it so ER doc knows you are chipped.

AKgringo - 11-13-2016 at 01:19 PM

I have the 'Home Again' chip in my faithful (but stubborn)companion! In addition to the chip, a tag was provided that gets you to the same code number.

As long as she has her collar on, there is no scanner needed. I also have a metal dog tag with my ATT GoPhone number on it, good in Mexico and Canada.

I never thought about it being used to help me instead of her!

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2016 at 02:31 PM

That is a really good idea.

Udo - 11-13-2016 at 03:46 PM

I did chip my parrot.