Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How chipping your pet may save both of you
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 11:29 AM
How chipping your pet may save both of you

I hadn't considered this before- but it's certainly useful, especially for someone who travels solo in Baja and beyond.

Don't just chip your pet for their safety- do it for both of you. If you are ever injured and unable to provide contact information to first responders, an up-to-date chip in your pet may be a link to help them get assistance for both of you.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/know-dog-owner-needs-help/

Please pass this info along to other Baja travelers, and also first responders you know. If they ever transport an injured person with a pet, and have trouble getting contact info, this might be helpful for them also.

I don't know how common chip readers are in Baja- has anyone had experience with that? Do many vets and rescue operations have chip scanners, as they do in the US?

If not- might be worth donating a few for this purpose- the life it saves might be your own, or someone dear to you.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
I hadn't considered this before- but it's certainly useful, especially for someone who travels solo in Baja and beyond.

Don't just chip your pet for their safety- do it for both of you. If you are ever injured and unable to provide contact information to first responders, an up-to-date chip in your pet may be a link to help them get assistance for both of you.

why not chip yourself?
Put a tattoo over it so ER doc knows you are chipped.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 01:19 PM

I have the 'Home Again' chip in my faithful (but stubborn)companion! In addition to the chip, a tag was provided that gets you to the same code number.

As long as she has her collar on, there is no scanner needed. I also have a metal dog tag with my ATT GoPhone number on it, good in Mexico and Canada.

I never thought about it being used to help me instead of her!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 02:31 PM

That is a really good idea.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-13-2016 at 03:46 PM

I did chip my parrot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.