BajaNomad

LA Bay to San Francisquito

Terrapin - 12-19-2016 at 10:08 PM

Hello all. I have been reading a lot on here in anticipation of a trip into Baja between Christmas and New Years. I've driven a lot in Northern Baja and spent 3 weeks in 2003 between the border and Cabo San Lucas.

I'm curious to know if anyone has any recent knowledge of road conditions between LA Bay and San Francisquito, and what to expect there at the beach as far as conditions, facilities that may be still open, etc.

I'm driving a fairly capable Jeep JK with a roof top tent so self sufficient and mainly looking to camp but a palapa might be nice.

Don't have much of a plan so far other than a reservation at the Guadalupe Oasis hit spring on the way back north for a couple nights but looking for some off the beaten path adventure.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

larryC - 12-20-2016 at 07:55 AM

The road is washboardy but no obstructions. Have fun.
Larry

David K - 12-20-2016 at 08:14 AM

Traveled the road in September, and it was excellent. Recommend you pop in at San Rafael (signed) and visit Poncho, maybe camp on his beach? Then read the thread on San Francisquito in the Off Roading forum here, and check out Beto's place on the cove...

Check out this thread, too: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85177

See my photos of the road, and Poncho's: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

Bajaboi - 12-20-2016 at 11:59 AM

Hola Terrapin,

You will find hot showers, saltwater flushing toilets, fresh drinking water, internet and fuel at Puerto San Francisquito; Beto reports that the road from LA Bay to Puerto SF is currently doable, but just be careful of sharp rocks; I personally blew one of my tires on that road a couple of years back.

I'm driving down to Puerto SF via San Felipe and El Arco this weekend with my truck so feel free to stop by; there is always plenty of camping space, but if you want to reserve one of the beachfront homes or structures, you'll need to email my father for reservations: aluwalfors@gmail.com.

I believe he said he had a couple of openings left but I'm not positive on that.

Happy holidays and see you soon!

Best,
Zimran

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboi  
Hola Terrapin,

You will find hot showers, saltwater flushing toilets, fresh drinking water, internet and fuel at Puerto San Francisquito; Beto reports that the road from LA Bay to Puerto SF is currently doable, but just be careful of sharp rocks; I personally blew one of my tires on that road a couple of years back.

I'm driving down to Puerto SF via San Felipe and El Arco this weekend with my truck so feel free to stop by; there is always plenty of camping space, but if you want to reserve one of the beachfront homes or structures, you'll need to email my father for reservations: aluwalfors@gmail.com.

I believe he said he had a couple of openings left but I'm not positive on that.

Happy holidays and see you soon!

Best,
Zimran

=== === ===
Can someone post arrows on the image for the places Puerto San Francisquito, and Beto's
Thanks

Francisquito.jpg - 92kB

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:28 PM

Not on that image, no. That looks like El Barril?

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 04:35 PM

Lost again

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:35 PM

Beto's fish camp on the cove: RED ARROW
Punta San Francisquito Resort on the south beach: BLUE ARROW

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Beto's fish camp on the cove: RED ARROW
Punta San Francisquito Resort on the south beach: BLUE ARROW

== ========
Closer?

Francisquito ...jpg - 57kB

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:47 PM

OK, that is the San Francisquito resort airport (two runways, one paved, one dry lake/ salt flat).

Beto's is on the well-protected cove, on the bay just north of the runways.

David K - 12-20-2016 at 04:53 PM

Called "Puerto San Francisquito" on the Almanac...

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 05:08 PM

Called "Puerto San Francisquito" on the Almanac...

Getting close?

Francisqioto r.jpg - 130kB

David K - 12-20-2016 at 05:11 PM

Yes, Paul, you managed to show the extreme south shore of the cove (Cala San Francisquito) and Beto's camp is there.

PaulW - 12-20-2016 at 05:20 PM

Yes, Paul, you managed to show the extreme south shore of the cove (Cala San Francisquito) and Beto's camp is there.

== =
Location to get gas at at the port
IS this the cove?

Francisqioto rr.jpg - 113kB

David K - 12-20-2016 at 06:17 PM

Yes Paul!

honda tom - 12-20-2016 at 10:01 PM

Beto has the hot water and showers.... San Fran has the beautiful beach. Beto has a couple of block houses ... San Fran has some rough cabanas with cots. Both have palapas. sometimes food at San Fran.
if your self contained you cant beat the view at San Fran...... but don't expect anything else. Beto will sell you gas, but most can continue south with BOLA fuel, or return to BOLA on same tank. Road is typically rough for 15 miles south of BOLA then opens up to a pretty good clip.

bkbend - 12-21-2016 at 10:44 AM

Beach and dock at Puerto SF, also shown in the GE paste above.

puerto_sf.jpg - 161kB

Terrapin - 12-21-2016 at 04:55 PM

Wow - I didn't check replies for a few days and logged in to see all of the great feedback. Thanks everyone - I am really looking forward to getting out and exploring the backroads of Baja again starting this weekend.

I've got a copy of the 2009 Baja Almanac and a few other paper maps, guidebooks, etc. Planning to use Gaia GPS on an iPad with offline maps also and have a Delorme InReach satellite messenger. Last time I did any extensive driving in Baja I had nothing but a few maps and got by just fine but this time traveling with only one vehicle and a kid along for the ride I figure it doesn't hurt to be a little better prepared.

Any other navigation apps or reading material that might be useful?

David K - 12-22-2016 at 07:04 AM

I think you will be doing great! :light:

Tomas Tierra - 12-22-2016 at 09:12 AM

Please report back when you get home, we would all love to hear the stories.....

And don't forget to Beer the Turtle!! Go Terps!

TT

JZ - 12-22-2016 at 09:00 PM

We just rode it over the last two days.

willardguy - 12-22-2016 at 10:01 PM

there's been rumors of JS7 on a honda, could this be proof? :biggrin:

del mar - 12-24-2016 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

:lol: no kidding, now will someone PLEEZE give Mookie a ride!

willardguy - 12-24-2016 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

:lol: no kidding, now will someone PLEEZE give Mookie a ride!

its a travesty! two weeks till A1! :bounce:

Terrapin - 1-4-2017 at 11:05 AM

Made it back across the border in Tecate on Dec. 31 and then stuck on 5 north for hours because of snow closures. Great trip south of the border though. Made it as far south as San Francisquito and then back north and spent some time at Canon de Guadalupe hot springs which was really nice. Thanks for all the advice provided by everyone here before we left.

Rather than post a bunch of photos, here are some links to a slide show that I put together and a video that my friends son put together with some cool drone footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f26TY2NcPGM&feature=yout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWXQbzpMBGY&feature=yout...

David K - 1-4-2017 at 11:19 AM

Thank you Terrapin for sharing! I was at Punta San Francisquito on New Years day... met Beto, nobody else was there.

Thanks for showing Guadalupe Canyon... we camped there often from 2001-2008... when Arturo's side (north side) was closed or altered. Where there many other campers there?
Happy New Year!

Terrapin - 1-4-2017 at 11:39 AM

There were a fair number of campers at Guadalupe Canyon. We were on the north side and it looks like they have recently done a lot of work and are currently adding a few more sites. Our spot was great.

We walked throughout both camps, the sites on the north seem a little nicer in general but the bathroom facilities are better on the other side.

AKgringo - 1-4-2017 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
We just rode it over the last two days.

I was still on the road when you posted this, and just found it. I was headed north and I am pretty sure we crossed paths on the smooth stretch of road between San Francisquito and El Arco.

Your boys were making pretty good time, and no dust due to the on and off drizzle. I encountered your group, a solo Toyota, and two groups of British bicycle riders that day.

I was driving a blue, two door Kia Sportage, and there probably weren't a whole lot of other cars on the road that day.