BajaNomad

Give me some suggestions of places to ride to next

JZ - 1-4-2017 at 01:45 PM

We just did Gonzaga, Coco's, BoLA, San Francisquito.

What should we do next? Hows the area around Mike's Sky Ranch? Where would you start, there and go down, or at the border to there?

Any place further South?

I'd want to take bikes and a truck, but they don't have to be together all the time.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 02:26 PM

Pole Line Road, perhaps?

BigBearRider - 1-4-2017 at 02:34 PM

BCS is prettier, in my biased opinion.

Did you take the Compadre Trail from Tecate? Go up to Laguna Hanson? The mountains between Tecate and Mex 3 are pretty.

The area around Mike's is ok, too.

JZ - 1-4-2017 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Did you take the Compadre Trail from Tecate? Go up to Laguna Hanson? The mountains between Tecate and Mex 3 are pretty.

The area around Mike's is ok, too.

No, we drove down to Gonzaga and then unloaded.

I looked at Campadre Trail in a couple videos. Looks kind of meh from the ones I saw anyway.

JZ - 1-4-2017 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Pole Line Road, perhaps?

We could make it through on the bikes, but not the truck.

TMW - 1-4-2017 at 03:42 PM

No Wimp Trail, Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail, the Comondus San Isidro to San Javier mission, Constitucion to Timbabichi, south of Constitucion to San Evaristo to La Paz, Guayaquil Hwy 1 KM133 to Puerto Catarina to Puerto Canoas to San Jose de la Piedra to Punta Blanco to Bahia Maria to Santa Rosalillita to Altamira to Hwy 1 at KM62/63, I know it's a long ride.

Want more?

TMW - 1-4-2017 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Pole Line Road, perhaps?

We could make it through on the bikes, but not the truck.

The truck can send you off at Cohabuso Jct then drive around and meet you at Arroyo Grande. I've done it on an XR500 and a YZ250 from Cohabuso to the PLR to Cohabuso Jct on a tank of gas.

David K - 1-4-2017 at 04:08 PM

Or just go to Arroyo Grande or closer to La Ventana and do a round trip on the bikes? You see more by going both ways instead of one way, specially the 1942 telephone poles.

ehall - 1-4-2017 at 06:38 PM

Big loop out of tecate . Go as far south as san quintin. Nice 4 day ride with everything.

JZ - 1-4-2017 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Big loop out of tecate . Go as far south as san quintin. Nice 4 day ride with everything.

What are the stops?

ehall - 1-5-2017 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

What are the stops?

Tecate, Uruapan, Santo Tomas, Erindira- stay at Coyote cals
Erindira to beach south of Colonet. Beach to San Quintin-stay at Jardines
San quintin to Mellings, Mikes, or Coyote or all the way to Valle de Trinidad- stay the night. Back to tecate via the sawmill.
Probably 500 miles or so.

motoged - 1-5-2017 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...... Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail....

Tom,
In late November, a local Mulege moto racer told me that there was a very difficult section on this route that would not be navigable w/ 4 wheels and that a moto rider would be lifting the bike through a slide with large rocks....we passed on it as AKgringo had 4 wheels....it will likely be cleared sometime....

TMW - 1-5-2017 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...... Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail....

Tom,
In late November, a local Mulege moto racer told me that there was a very difficult section on this route that would not be navigable w/ 4 wheels and that a moto rider would be lifting the bike through a slide with large rocks....we passed on it as AKgringo had 4 wheels....it will likely be cleared sometime....

I may do (try) that trail in Jan. after the MLK holiday weekend depending on what The Squarcircle (Roy) has planned. I need to check on a geocache I planted.

honda tom - 1-5-2017 at 10:24 AM

SF to cocos, through calamaje out to hwy at crucero (as you did this trip) then bikes stay on dirt and truck heads to BOLA road. 10 miles before BOLA head north and east out to gulf (dead end but really cool to see) camp or go back to BOLA.

day 2 east from BOLA 13 miles to San Borja mission turn off. In about 3 miles don't go to mission, continue straight on very cool trail (pickup will be ok) out to hwy 1, road crosses hwy and continues to pacific. then down the pacific for 15 miles. hotel at rosarito.

day 3 you can south it on some cool stuff east of villa jesus out to el arco and start back north through san fran again. or from el arco south on dirt to san Ignacio and on to san juanico.

these are some easy routes for both truck and youngsters on bikes.
get an almanac and check out the roads/trails east of villa jesus maria. some isolated stuff. if you haven't been to the mission at san borja get there. the roads are a blast to open it up on a bike. riding the sand flats out to san juanico is fun and just a few hours from san Ignacio.

David K - 1-5-2017 at 10:41 AM

Tom, why would you say not to see the mission, oh my gosh... nothing is more remarkable in the middle of the Baja desert!

Well, at least you now see what you would miss... the mission is just a mile off the road through to Rosarito. You would miss meeting José and his museum collection from the San Juan gold mine and more...

TMW - 1-5-2017 at 10:53 AM

San Jose de Castro to Malarrimo beach, truck and bikes OK.

Mulege to the pacific (La Ballena) by way of the San Raymundo arroyo, truck and bike OK.

Constitucion to Agua Verde, bikes rough but OK, truck no down hill, go around.

Short but fun with a beautiful view is the La Rumorosa grade in the dirt. Go down then up or up then down. Truck can follow.

Do a loop from Hwy 1 at Chapala KM235 near the blue restaurant, may need to ask them if it's OK. The road use to go from KM234 out to the Pacific then south then east and back to Hwy 1 at KM 252 or further south at KM 270/271. Someone put up a fence along Hwy 1 at the Restaurant to the tire guy at the turn off to San Felipe.
A note on this run, about 4 miles west from KM 234 is a dry lake and if it is covered with water do this run another day or take your chances and head directly to the right of a black hill to the west. Truck and bike OK.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by TMW]

TMW - 1-5-2017 at 11:06 AM

Go north off Hwy 1 at KM 103 below El Rosario. Go north past El Sauzalito (Ab mine) and past Los Martires ranch. Follow the 03/07/13 Baja 1000 course and along the way is a turn off (not marked) to San Isidoro a visita from the padre days. Continue northwest and you can come out at Hwy 1 at KM 87 or another spot between San Quintin and Vicente Guerrero. Should study the maps, almanac and Google Earth on this one. Bike and truck OK.

TMW - 1-5-2017 at 11:14 AM

Someone mentioned Mikes Sky Ranch. You could do a loop from Mikes to El Coyote and back using different trails. Also do a loop from Mikes up and down by way of Simpson's ranch road then back to Mikes. There are a number of road/trails to due in the area. Some are bike only.

honda tom - 1-5-2017 at 12:59 PM

David, i should have been more clear,

next to last sentence of my post i said be sure to see the mission. But there is also a fun easy trail that heads east off of the mission road about 3 miles from the BOLA road. If you were to take that trail, you could head back to the mission from the Nuevo rosarito road, making a loop.

yes I would always recommend the mission tour.

honda tom - 1-5-2017 at 01:09 PM

JZ,

your going to get a load of routes here. they all have to take in account your timetable, and how much riding you like to do each day. IMO anything south of san Ignacio requires a week or so trip (driving /riding)

David K - 1-5-2017 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by honda tom  

next to last sentence of my post i said be sure to see the mission. But there is also a fun easy trail that heads east off of the mission road about 3 miles from the BOLA road. If you were to take that trail, you could head back to the mission from the Nuevo rosarito road, making a loop.

Sorry, I missed that Tom! I get so touchy about the missions, you understand, yes? LOL

mcnut - 1-5-2017 at 02:04 PM

I believe this should read "But there is also a fun easy trail that heads (follows Palo Chino) west off of the mission road about 3 miles from the BOLA road.

Also should go without saying that conditions change all the time both for better and worse in Baja. Some of the info given may be best available but not be current.

Bruce

honda tom - 1-5-2017 at 03:41 PM

yessir.. west is correct. start of the 22 day trail... but also access to palo chino,

honda tom - 1-5-2017 at 03:42 PM

note ... 22 day trail bikes only. Palo Chino truck and beginner skill bikes

JZ - 1-5-2017 at 04:09 PM

JZ,

your going to get a load of routes here. they all have to take in account your timetable, and how much riding you like to do each day. IMO anything south of san Ignacio requires a week or so trip (driving /riding)

I'm open to all. Just learning. Been coming to Baja for about 15 years, but 90% of it has been boating trips. Been down the entire coast multiple times and years of boating on the mainland where we keep the boat.

Kids are 13 and 15 and have been riding for about 6-7 years. Mostly here in California. I'd say they are a little above intermediate. We just road about 300 miles over Christmas. They did 75 miles a day no problem. I personally probably like to keep it that or a little less.

Biggest thing is I want to have my truck close enough for safety sake (and to carry the beer). We had two flat tires and carb problem on our last trip.

I'd usually make it a week to 10 day thing. But maybe 3-4 days in Northern Baja.

Video from last trip: https://youtu.be/_-A9MBoODCg

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by JZ]

David K - 1-5-2017 at 04:18 PM

Video from last trip: https://youtu.be/_-A9MBoODCg

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by JZ]

THAT was extremely NICE!!!
Thank you!!

JZ - 1-5-2017 at 04:18 PM

We are thinking next to go down to Loreto. What trails are there been Mulege and Loreto?

David K - 1-5-2017 at 04:34 PM

The Concepcion Peninsula can only be fully run on motorcycles! We got about 3/4 the way up last September... the side washes (to petroglyphs and running water) were great even though we missed the petros, the stream was beautiful in there. Lots to explore on a bike!

See: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/bahia_co...

AKgringo - 1-5-2017 at 06:31 PM

We are thinking next to go down to Loreto. What trails are there been Mulege and Loreto?

You might find a bit of useful information on some of the routes we did over Thanksgiving.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81192&got...

Do your boys do any highway riding, or do you haul the bikes between dirt segments?

JZ - 1-5-2017 at 06:33 PM

Only dirt except for short stretches. Let the oldest drive the truck on the road tho.

Gulliver - 1-5-2017 at 07:38 PM

When are you scheduling this trip? I live and ride out of Mulege and try to keep up on the conditions within 100 miles or so of here.

PM me and I'll keep you posted as I get updates and ride the roads myself.

honda tom - 1-6-2017 at 07:42 AM

from San Ignacio go SW to San Juanico. then East over to Mulege easy 1 day trip, or break it up and stay night in San Juanico.
From Loreto up to mission San Javier... then continue south, then west out to the pacific, both these trips are bike and truck.

motoged - 1-6-2017 at 10:45 AM

Only dirt except for short stretches. Let the oldest drive the truck on the road tho.

Good to know that not all the unlicensed drivers in Baja are Mexican underage drivers....:biggrin:

JZ - 1-6-2017 at 06:22 PM

from San Ignacio go SW to San Juanico. then East over to Mulege easy 1 day trip, or break it up and stay night in San Juanico.
From Loreto up to mission San Javier... then continue south, then west out to the pacific, both these trips are bike and truck.

Is this the route you are talking about? What's the road like?

How do you get back over to Mulege, the 53? Dirt or pavement?

Gulliver - 1-6-2017 at 06:41 PM

Depends on how tired you are when you get to San Juanico and what time of day it is.

If it's late in the day, grab a cabin there and start fresh. It can take five hours and more to get from San Juanico to Mulege the shortest distance up the Raymundo river/canyon. There's been a fair bit of rain this Fall and there are quite a few water crossings in the first half of the trip going East.

If you get to San Juanico by noon, you can ride the faster, longer and a bit less challenging route down through La Purisma and San Isidro to Rt. 1. Pavement from San Juanico to San Isidro and a long rocky ride over the hill to the highway. And then still quite a ways back up to Mulege where you can find a room and a shower.

I have ridden from Mulege to Mulege through all three settlements in eleven hours, dawn to dusk but I wasn't much good for anything for a day or two and I still arrived home in the dark. I was moving most of the time too. Actually I was riding way too fast for solo work.

Now I have no recent information about the San Ignatio to San Juanico route. Last year and before, the inland road was difficult due to deep silt. One of our posters busted up his foot playing sand angels along there.

Sometimes, at higher tides the beach route is soft and damp but the word I get is that it is the better way to go.

Personally I find the East side rather long and boring. I would pass on the San Ignatio to San Juanico leg. Start and end at Mulege with a night at San Juanico. Cabins with two single beds are 450p at Cowabunga. Nice folks.

And again, when are you planning this trip?

JZ - 1-6-2017 at 07:21 PM

Thx. Not sure yet on time, just investigating now. Maybe April or June.

[Edited on 1-7-2017 by JZ]

Gulliver - 1-6-2017 at 07:39 PM

April is great except for staying away from the beaches near the 16th. (Easter). The roads can be dangerous on Easter and the days right after due to families rushing to get home after their big vacation of the year. Also, literally no rooms available for that two week period.

June is getting well into hot summer days. I'm gone back to Washington by then. If you do ride down here that late in the season, be especially careful of bike reliability and carrying enough water.

With your plans running that late in the season, the road reports will be much more up to date by then.

Since you're not riding solo the risk is much less of breakdowns and dehydration.

JZ - 1-6-2017 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
April is great except for staying away from the beaches near the 16th. (Easter). The roads can be dangerous on Easter and the days right after due to families rushing to get home after their big vacation of the year. Also, literally no rooms available for that two week period.

June is getting well into hot summer days. I'm gone back to Washington by then. If you do ride down here that late in the season, be especially careful of bike reliability and carrying enough water.

With your plans running that late in the season, the road reports will be much more up to date by then.

Since you're not riding solo the risk is much less of breakdowns and dehydration.

Kids always have Spring Break after Easter and that's when I wanted to come. For some stupid reason it's the week of Easter this year. So more likely June.

Gulliver - 1-6-2017 at 07:51 PM

You can do your rides around Easter here. Just don't plan on any serious road runs on those critical days. Easter weekend and the couple of days after. The crowds are at the beaches.

My Baja motto:
"Slow down, you've too fast
You've got to make the morning last
Just kickin' down the cobble stones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy"

Gulliver - 1-6-2017 at 08:01 PM

Barbara just reminded me that half of the readers here are too young to know those lyrics. Probably think it was the campaign song for Warren Harding.

59th. Street Song. Simon and Garfunkle.

honda tom - 1-9-2017 at 11:28 AM

Is this the route you are talking about? What's the road like?

How do you get back over to Mulege, the 53? Dirt or pavement?

on the road SW from San Ignacio go another 20 miles (SW from your turn), this takes you down to coast. then South along the sand flats to San Juanico. (look at the sand road near fishing village of El Datil, 25 miles south of Laguna San Ignacio on the Pacific coast, this is the road.)
from San Juanico go through La Purisma and San Isidro then East on dirt crossover road. meets hwy 1 between Mulege and Loreto

honda tom - 1-9-2017 at 11:32 AM

Yes I guess it is the 53. never heard saw it labeled. It is dirt.

Gulliver - 1-9-2017 at 01:55 PM

San Ignatio to San Junico is just more boring West coast flat. If you like that sort of thing, fine. If not, consider my previous post.

That road labelled 53 used to be labelled 1. Now it is just the San Isidro to El Rosarito road. Easier than the Raymundo Canyon track from San Juanico to Mulege.

Probably worth your while to follow the series of posts about our early February run starting and ending in Mulege. It covers some of the nicest riding and driving in Baja. Family fun at its best.

honda tom - 1-10-2017 at 10:05 AM

San Ignacio to San Juanico is less than 3 hours. (lunch and keep going) asphalt about 20 miles to La Purisma San Isidro and over 53 (about 40 miles , 2 hours) then to Loreto or Mulege. The reason I suggest this is to put you on the bikes sooner. this cuts out hwy 1 to mulege. The low road is fun as hell on a motorcycle, a mix of throttle pinned flats, then a narrow sand road with rollers, then back to flats. Kids will love it. San Juanico is famous for surfing, plenty of places to grab lunch. La Purisma and San Isidro are beautiful with water and palms. This will be a great day. If I remember you guys camp also. When you get to Hwy 1 drive north 20 miles and camp at one of the beaches on Concepcion Bay.

TMW - 1-10-2017 at 11:32 AM

The GE image above is not the coastal road thru El Datil or the inland road to El Cuarenta. It is the 2010 Baja 1000 course from San Ignacio to San Juanico. It comes into El Cuarenta from El Patrocino.