Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Give me some suggestions of places to ride to next
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 01:45 PM
Give me some suggestions of places to ride to next

We just did Gonzaga, Coco's, BoLA, San Francisquito.

What should we do next? Hows the area around Mike's Sky Ranch? Where would you start, there and go down, or at the border to there?

Any place further South?

I'd want to take bikes and a truck, but they don't have to be together all the time.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 02:26 PM

Pole Line Road, perhaps?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 02:34 PM

BCS is prettier, in my biased opinion.

Did you take the Compadre Trail from Tecate? Go up to Laguna Hanson? The mountains between Tecate and Mex 3 are pretty.

The area around Mike's is ok, too.
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Did you take the Compadre Trail from Tecate? Go up to Laguna Hanson? The mountains between Tecate and Mex 3 are pretty.

The area around Mike's is ok, too.

No, we drove down to Gonzaga and then unloaded.

I looked at Campadre Trail in a couple videos. Looks kind of meh from the ones I saw anyway.
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Pole Line Road, perhaps?

We could make it through on the bikes, but not the truck.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 03:42 PM

No Wimp Trail, Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail, the Comondus San Isidro to San Javier mission, Constitucion to Timbabichi, south of Constitucion to San Evaristo to La Paz, Guayaquil Hwy 1 KM133 to Puerto Catarina to Puerto Canoas to San Jose de la Piedra to Punta Blanco to Bahia Maria to Santa Rosalillita to Altamira to Hwy 1 at KM62/63, I know it's a long ride.

Want more?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Pole Line Road, perhaps?

We could make it through on the bikes, but not the truck.

The truck can send you off at Cohabuso Jct then drive around and meet you at Arroyo Grande. I've done it on an XR500 and a YZ250 from Cohabuso to the PLR to Cohabuso Jct on a tank of gas.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 04:08 PM

Or just go to Arroyo Grande or closer to La Ventana and do a round trip on the bikes? You see more by going both ways instead of one way, specially the 1942 telephone poles.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 06:38 PM

Big loop out of tecate . Go as far south as san quintin. Nice 4 day ride with everything.
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2017 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Big loop out of tecate . Go as far south as san quintin. Nice 4 day ride with everything.

What are the stops?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 06:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

What are the stops?

Tecate, Uruapan, Santo Tomas, Erindira- stay at Coyote cals
Erindira to beach south of Colonet. Beach to San Quintin-stay at Jardines
San quintin to Mellings, Mikes, or Coyote or all the way to Valle de Trinidad- stay the night. Back to tecate via the sawmill.
Probably 500 miles or so.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...... Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail....

Tom,
In late November, a local Mulege moto racer told me that there was a very difficult section on this route that would not be navigable w/ 4 wheels and that a moto rider would be lifting the bike through a slide with large rocks....we passed on it as AKgringo had 4 wheels....it will likely be cleared sometime....

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
...... Mulege to San Isidro via Guajademi trail....

Tom,
In late November, a local Mulege moto racer told me that there was a very difficult section on this route that would not be navigable w/ 4 wheels and that a moto rider would be lifting the bike through a slide with large rocks....we passed on it as AKgringo had 4 wheels....it will likely be cleared sometime....

I may do (try) that trail in Jan. after the MLK holiday weekend depending on what The Squarcircle (Roy) has planned. I need to check on a geocache I planted.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 10:24 AM

SF to cocos, through calamaje out to hwy at crucero (as you did this trip) then bikes stay on dirt and truck heads to BOLA road. 10 miles before BOLA head north and east out to gulf (dead end but really cool to see) camp or go back to BOLA.

day 2 east from BOLA 13 miles to San Borja mission turn off. In about 3 miles don't go to mission, continue straight on very cool trail (pickup will be ok) out to hwy 1, road crosses hwy and continues to pacific. then down the pacific for 15 miles. hotel at rosarito.

day 3 you can south it on some cool stuff east of villa jesus out to el arco and start back north through san fran again. or from el arco south on dirt to san Ignacio and on to san juanico.

these are some easy routes for both truck and youngsters on bikes.
get an almanac and check out the roads/trails east of villa jesus maria. some isolated stuff. if you haven't been to the mission at san borja get there. the roads are a blast to open it up on a bike. riding the sand flats out to san juanico is fun and just a few hours from san Ignacio.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 10:41 AM

Tom, why would you say not to see the mission, oh my gosh... nothing is more remarkable in the middle of the Baja desert!

Well, at least you now see what you would miss... the mission is just a mile off the road through to Rosarito. You would miss meeting José and his museum collection from the San Juan gold mine and more...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 10:53 AM

San Jose de Castro to Malarrimo beach, truck and bikes OK.

Mulege to the pacific (La Ballena) by way of the San Raymundo arroyo, truck and bike OK.

Constitucion to Agua Verde, bikes rough but OK, truck no down hill, go around.

Short but fun with a beautiful view is the La Rumorosa grade in the dirt. Go down then up or up then down. Truck can follow.

Do a loop from Hwy 1 at Chapala KM235 near the blue restaurant, may need to ask them if it's OK. The road use to go from KM234 out to the Pacific then south then east and back to Hwy 1 at KM 252 or further south at KM 270/271. Someone put up a fence along Hwy 1 at the Restaurant to the tire guy at the turn off to San Felipe.
A note on this run, about 4 miles west from KM 234 is a dry lake and if it is covered with water do this run another day or take your chances and head directly to the right of a black hill to the west. Truck and bike OK.

[Edited on 1-5-2017 by TMW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 11:06 AM

Go north off Hwy 1 at KM 103 below El Rosario. Go north past El Sauzalito (Ab mine) and past Los Martires ranch. Follow the 03/07/13 Baja 1000 course and along the way is a turn off (not marked) to San Isidoro a visita from the padre days. Continue northwest and you can come out at Hwy 1 at KM 87 or another spot between San Quintin and Vicente Guerrero. Should study the maps, almanac and Google Earth on this one. Bike and truck OK.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 11:14 AM

Someone mentioned Mikes Sky Ranch. You could do a loop from Mikes to El Coyote and back using different trails. Also do a loop from Mikes up and down by way of Simpson's ranch road then back to Mikes. There are a number of road/trails to due in the area. Some are bike only.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 12:59 PM

David, i should have been more clear,

next to last sentence of my post i said be sure to see the mission. But there is also a fun easy trail that heads east off of the mission road about 3 miles from the BOLA road. If you were to take that trail, you could head back to the mission from the Nuevo rosarito road, making a loop.

yes I would always recommend the mission tour.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2017 at 01:09 PM

JZ,

your going to get a load of routes here. they all have to take in account your timetable, and how much riding you like to do each day. IMO anything south of san Ignacio requires a week or so trip (driving /riding)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.