BajaNomad

Mulege off road trip feb 4 y 5

willyAirstream - 1-7-2017 at 08:40 AM

A large group will be doing a 2 day trip and all are welcome to ride, motos, cars, side by sides etc. Mulege to the end of the bay via the hwy, loop thru San Sabastian Cove back to the hwy to San Isidro to Comondu, camp there and return the next day via the same route or via San Javier/Loreto/hwy to Mulege. If the Guajademi trail is doable, some may return that way. We usually drive hard for an hour, then stop and let everyone catch up, then continue. It is a good group, mostly racers of all ages and abilities.

healthdetective - 1-8-2017 at 11:02 AM

I wish : (

elfbrewery - 1-8-2017 at 12:20 PM

I want a report! Suerte!

Sweetwater - 1-8-2017 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like fun but a bit early for us. We're thinking to head south to LaPaz for Carnaval the end of February then take a couple weeks to wind our way north again. It's a real winter up here with lots of snow, freezing rain in the valleys and some cold temps thrown in just for a tickle. Hoping the mogas prices and social unrest are resolved for that. Some buddies just drove to Mazatlan and report no problems getting there and a lack of tourists in general the further south they got. How's the crowds in Baja Sur?

Gulliver - 1-8-2017 at 10:57 PM

These have been great trips in the past. Lot's of support in the case of breakdowns and see roads that you might have the ambition to do by yourself.

chivatojoe - 1-9-2017 at 12:16 AM

So Willy when you say via the Hwy I guess you mean from center of town via blacktop to the dirt road to the west ? about 32 miles on pavement? Then what is the usual fare when you say "camp " at Comondu? Places to eat and drink or BYOB and everything else?

willyAirstream - 1-9-2017 at 07:44 AM

Health Detective - Time to get a baja bug and move to Baja :)
Elf....claro
Sweet.....usual amount of gringos on the beaches, things are normal here. Come early and play!!
G... yep, this will be the 4th annual trip, always a good time for all ages and abilities and vehicles
Joe....here is a map. There are no hotels in Comondu, maybe a bunk house with 12 cots. Bring your own food and beverage and enough to share. Usually there is cheviche, Tamales, bolanga sandwiches etc.
If you are on a bike, a car or truck, can haul your stuff. Several full time mechanics will be going. Will have a vhf radio to talk to the ranchers. The interest is huge this year, class 9, class 5, class 7, several jeeps and 4x4s, Rzrs etc.

about 40 miles of pavement, one way. Return via highway or dirt, TBD

feb2017tripsm.jpg - 109kB

chuckie - 1-9-2017 at 07:57 AM

AND? I suppose there will be BEER drinking? Oh the shame of it all...

willyAirstream - 1-9-2017 at 08:26 AM

Just to be clear....This is a family event, not an excuse to drink. There has never been much drinking on these trips, except around the campfire.

chuckie - 1-9-2017 at 08:28 AM

Just to be clear, I was making a joke..Your sacred cow is safe...

willyAirstream - 1-9-2017 at 09:03 AM

btw, I like your new avatar chuckie

Prairie-Dog-Flickr-Reuse.jpg - 150kB

David K - 1-9-2017 at 09:04 AM

:lol:

chuckie - 1-9-2017 at 09:11 AM

Aint that sweet!

KurtG - 1-9-2017 at 09:44 AM

I've been thinking about aiming the KLR for Mulege late this month so I very likely will join you. I've done all those roads and being with a group would be fun. In years past the short coastal ride from San Sebastian to San Nicolas has been a favorite. Great views, especially when southbound. I'm pretty sure I would be the slowest rider but riding sweep has never bothered me. I figured out years ago that I would never be a fast rider so I just putt along and gawk at the scenery.

David K - 1-9-2017 at 09:47 AM

Shari did post about a tiny motel in Comondú, but that was a few years ago.

Gulliver - 1-9-2017 at 10:02 AM

The word from Pag at the shop is that there may be impossible washouts on the direct over the hill route from San Isidro to Mulege (Guajademi trail). I'll try to go have a look soon.

I have no reports since this Summer's storm on the Comundu to San Javier road. Going South the usual difficult spot around Palo Chino is downhill so it will take a lot to stop us.

AKgringo - 1-9-2017 at 10:53 AM

I drove the road from just east of San Javier. to San Jose Comandu in my Kia Sportage just after Thanksgiving. There were a few rough spots to crawl over, but the rest of the road was in pretty good shape! It was in better condition than the road from San Isidro to Mex 1.

Gulliver - 1-9-2017 at 11:59 AM

Much relieved to hear that. The last time I was in there was several years ago on my bike and the climb past Palo Chino was one rock step up after another with loose stuff and a drop off so, since I was traveling solo, I turned back.

willyAirstream - 1-10-2017 at 07:34 AM

Kurt glad you can make it. !!! We would give you a head start, but I think you will be right up front.
I have a message to a ranch in Paso Hondo who will know the condition of the Guajademi trail and will pass it on. I did the first 10 miles or so of SJ to Comondu in the Willys in Sept. It is no problem if you have good clearance. Many friends have done the san Isidro to the hwy recently, reporting no problems. There are many options for the return trip and I am guessing motos will return via dirt, while some of the cars will return via SJ/Loreto via pavenment.
Some of the guys from the La Paz 4x4 club will be joining wit h some very tricked out jeeps and safaris, things.
Looks like there will be a wide variety of vehicles, drivers of all ages and abilities. Should be fun!!!

salttram - 1-11-2017 at 06:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
If the Guajademi trail is doable, some may return that way.

I just tried Guajademi Canyon Dec. 27th. Above the ranches at the head of the canyon, it's a very chunky rock climb. I also tried it on my KLR last April. On my fully-loaded KLR (with hwy gearing), it was just too much of a wrestle past the Mulege/El Cerival/Guajademi sign, so I vowed to return with my Tacoma and four big low-range paws on the ground.

So this time, in the Tacoma, we got to about a mile past the turnoff west toward San Patricio. It was just my wife and I, in a lone vehicle, and the road really started deteriorating. That and the threat of rain finally made us turn around. It's certainly possible we could have gotten through, but the ranchers down in the canyon said it wasn't doable.

I could see a switchback road over the pass to the east that looked better, but we couldn't find a way to it in the time we had. Our tracks looked like the first in a long time. As they say, YMMV!

The better part of valor being discretion and all that.

willyAirstream - 1-11-2017 at 08:24 PM

Thanks for the report salttram, much appreciated!!We are hearing similar reports from the ranchos in the canyon.
I drove it 3 years ago and it was tough! but a beautiful ride!

TMW - 1-11-2017 at 08:39 PM

Hopefully by April it will be passable, we'll be down to give it a try. We did it last April and it was in good shape but I guess the rains sometimes are too much.

Gulliver - 1-11-2017 at 08:45 PM

I have a couple of guys on smaller bikes coming down and we were going to go out there next week. But if it was that torn up that recently I think it would be the better part of valor and sanity to give it a pass with a large group.

The three of us will probably head over to San Isidro, Comundu and maybe to San Javier to be sure there aren't any giant washouts. I suspect that with a loop back through Loreto we can do in in one day.

I had a great time last year. Not so sure about sleeping on the ground even in my tent but one night without a shower won't kill me. I think.

salttram - 1-12-2017 at 06:27 AM

P-shaw!

I think with a big group it could be a fun project . . . bring shovels! Guajademi Canyon is one if the great underrated Baja destinations. Has anyone checked out all the caves up there? I know some have paintings.

We short-camped at the first switchback of a pretty good road that climbs out of the canyon about halfway through. Awesome views hiking up the road which was blocked by a boulder that a few strong people could move out of the way. The road goes up and over onto a level area with some ranches and a nice camping area at the pass.

We slept under the starts that night, but I couldn't go to sleep until I got this guy out of my mind . . . right near camp!

tarantula-BN.jpg - 161kB

Gulliver - 1-12-2017 at 07:16 AM

Little friends like that are one of the reasons I still carry a one man tent. Not snugly enough for me! And there are more than a few rattlers around though the nights are cool enough this time of the year to keep them from wandering about too much.

BigBearRider - 1-12-2017 at 09:25 AM

Is there anything around there to hang a hammock from? May be a good idea to get off the ground.

Gulliver - 1-12-2017 at 11:51 AM

Unless you could figure out a way to glue a rope to a rock. We are sort of low on what you would call a tree around here.

willyAirstream - 1-12-2017 at 01:10 PM

Adding to the adventure, will be a local, Lopez Mateos, off road race Sunday Feb. 5th, which may influence our return route. It could come thru Comondu, which would be fun to watch. The course map will be published "in a couple of days". Stay tuned.

Hammock is a great idea, string it between two cars.

Shari posted quite a few pics of Comundo , here
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50474
from 2011

Gulliver - 1-12-2017 at 02:26 PM

Yeow! Keep me away from that stuff.

BigBearRider - 1-12-2017 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Unless you could figure out a way to glue a rope to a rock. We are sort of low on what you would call a tree around here.

Maybe you can weld something to a cactus? ;D

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 03:28 PM

Given that this is a Pure trip, with no alchohol allowed...You might request permission from Reverend Airstream to have a Bottle of MEDICINAL Tequila in the stores should a venomous issue occur..jes sayin....

willyAirstream - 1-12-2017 at 03:36 PM

LOL chuckie is wrong once again.

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 04:21 PM

Ats wut u said...Dill pickles should be included as well...

willyAirstream - 1-12-2017 at 04:50 PM

Where did I say that?

chuckie.jpg - 216kB

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 05:01 PM

In this thread where you wrote it...Its OK dude, chill out...Its always a good run, and fun for all...You take yourself way too seriously sometimes....Well, most of the time....

willyAirstream - 1-12-2017 at 05:11 PM

You can't show me where I said that? Cuz what I said was

Quote:

This is a family event, not an excuse to drink. There has never been much drinking on these trips, except around the campfire.

There is no rules on these outings, just having fun.

mtgoat666 - 1-12-2017 at 05:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Given that this is a Pure trip, with no alchohol allowed...You might request permission from Reverend Airstream to have a Bottle of MEDICINAL Tequila in the stores should a venomous issue occur..jes sayin....

Is this a mormon or AA outing?

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 05:23 PM

I am beginning to wonder....At least the dill pickles haven't been excluded.....

willyAirstream - 1-12-2017 at 05:25 PM

no, just chuckie spreading mis information.

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 05:33 PM

Geezu Richard, calm down, its gonna be OK....Honest....Jes raggin on ya...Go see Carlos , get a beer on me....

bajabuddha - 1-12-2017 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If it's a mor(m)on outing there better be at least two of 'em on the roster....... if there's only one he'll drink all your booze...

And that's from experience talking. ;)

missadventuring - 1-12-2017 at 06:19 PM

This sounds like fun and I could use the support on my first trail ride out this year. I have a new (to me) KTM 450 and it's somewhat more capable than my skill level. :!:

chuckie - 1-12-2017 at 06:29 PM

One of the advantages of going on a trip like Richards...lots help with if you need it, and you always find someone of your skill level to hang with..

Gulliver - 1-12-2017 at 06:50 PM

AND (ahem) you can usually find some sympathetic four wheeler to haul your tent and sleeping bag.

salttram - 1-12-2017 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If it's a mor(m)on outing there better be at least two of 'em on the roster....... if there's only one he'll drink all your booze...

Now THAT'S FUNNY . . .

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by salttram]

MulegeAL - 1-13-2017 at 05:07 PM

In, with the moto.

Will be asking 4-wheelers to carry my campo stuff, liquor, beer in exchange for beer and lies around the fire.

I'll go check out the 'rough ride' north to south. If I can do that it is easier S to N.

Assuming your vehicle has brakes! (J/K!)

Gulliver must be cleared as having new tubes/tires and the means to fix!:D

Gulliver - 1-13-2017 at 06:47 PM

I'm so stinking over prepared this time. So something else will bust probably.

Gulliver - 1-13-2017 at 08:23 PM

Just got this from a couple of guys down from Alaska. A big BWW adventure bike and a smaller dual sport. Report is from Jan. 11th.
==============
The road was great. From the pavement on the 1 to San Isidro was 1.25 hour on the big bike. Couple of slow sections along the river for big bikes but not for the DR. Thanks for the info we rode from kurts to San Juanico and back in 8 hours.
==============
"Kurt's" means at Posada on Bahia Conception.

MulegeAL - 1-20-2017 at 12:13 PM

I rode out to the canyon climb at Chuparossa, south end of the valley from Mulege.

The road up to the pass is totally destroyed by the floodwaters from the Sept hurricane.

I got 3/4 mile in past the vacero's palapa at the bottom on the canyon, then hiked up another 1/4 mile. There had been an attempt to regrade with a bulldozer to that point, but the effort was abandoned.

Road bed is totally destroyed. 3 to 4 foot overfalls and boulders. Goes on like that for a long way up the canyon.

Chatted with the cowboys at the bottom about the 'south" pass, over by Guajademi junction. From what I could gather, that pass is worse.

So, forget about this route as a through-alternative back to Mulege!

I'd consider an out and back to the Guajademi canyon area from La Purisima, until the climb north got impossible (sounds like large boulders and water cuts across the already destroyed roadbed. It is an impressive canyon/cactus area.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by MulegeAL]

willyAirstream - 1-20-2017 at 12:24 PM

Update... Folks from GN, SI, SR,Loreto, CC, La Paz, and Mulege will be going on the trip. About 30 people have confirmed. 3 pick ups or more, are willing to haul gear and booze. Besides the bunk house there is now a small Hotel in Comondu and I am trying to get contact info. The race in Lopez Mateo will not be close to us, it will down near LM where the whale festival is happening on the same dates.
There is a tienda in San Nicolas and possibly San Sabastion.
Al, that settles that! Thanks! Quick trip in the canyon is a good idea. The rams on the cliffs were pretty cool.

[Edited on 1-20-2017 by willyAirstream]

Gulliver - 1-20-2017 at 02:00 PM

Well, if Al can't get through then the even the goats are going the long way around. I've ridden with him and he is experienced, skilled and has a decent bike.

It might be quite a while before that one gets fixed as government finances are stopping almost all back country repair work. I've been amazed to find that there has been work done on the Mulege to San Juanico road.

motoged - 1-20-2017 at 02:59 PM

Geez,
I was telling you guys in November that Guajademi was closed with last year's storm damage...

Richard is pretty plugged into the local conditions...and knows that not everybody sees Baja as a reason to drink...while seeing there are times for that.

RICHARD: here is the contact info for hotel in Comondu....they want reservations and have several rooms by the look of it as well as a nice restaurant:

Hacienda Don Mario
01(613) 131-1494
JACKYLAPAZ@HOTMAIL.COM
WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM

The church annex is very rustic....so hardcore keyboard riders like Chuckie would love it :biggrin: ...no other accommodations there that I am aware of....and not sure in either village where a group could park/camp, but the majority of folks doing the trip will be Mexican, and their resourcefulness will win out.

Sorry I will miss this ride...but enjoyed the hell out of the November ride with Gary (AKgringo) and David (David03).

willyAirstream - 1-20-2017 at 03:29 PM

!!Thanks Ged!!

I think we can get 30 people in that church jajaja

Here is the FB link guys
https://www.facebook.com/Hacienda-Don-Mario-HotelMuseo-63627...

btw, The above site url is jacked, so don't book there, it is in Australia :)

BigBearRider - 1-20-2017 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
Just got this from a couple of guys down from Alaska. A big BWW adventure bike and a smaller dual sport. Report is from Jan. 11th.
==============
The road was great. From the pavement on the 1 to San Isidro was 1.25 hour on the big bike. Couple of slow sections along the river for big bikes but not for the DR. Thanks for the info we rode from kurts to San Juanico and back in 8 hours.
==============
"Kurt's" means at Posada on Bahia Conception.

I may have met these guys heading down on December 26th over the snow and mud around Tecate. Kurt's the Black Dog guy, right?

Gulliver - 1-20-2017 at 06:24 PM

Yes.

willyAirstream - 1-20-2017 at 09:53 PM

email Jackeline for rooms. 55usd for a double room. They may have singles and triples, sorry, not sure of what is available

Gulliver - 1-20-2017 at 10:21 PM

Not that far on pavement from Comudu back up to San Juanico. Cowabunga has double cabins for 450p. Places to eat too.

Oh, yeah. I have yet to find anywhere to eat in Comundu when passing through. Maybe with a room though.

motoged - 1-21-2017 at 01:48 AM

The hotel in Comondu has a restaurant.

Gulliver - 1-21-2017 at 07:54 AM

We might totally overwhelm them with our mob. And far from everyone is planning on staying in a hotel. If I stay near there I'll be camping.

It might be prudent to bring your own food as things can be unpredictable. When Barbara and I were poking about there last Winter we found a little tienda where were able to buy a couple of candy bars but they were out of soda and hadn't had any that week. It's a small place and not very geared to tourism.

The demographics seemed to be that of a dying place. Hardly anyone but babies and grandparents. We did see a lot of family gatherings where the adult children with their own children were home for the weekend visiting their older parents. Work is somewhere else but they are trying to stay in touch.

Sort of, "Come on. We're going to grandma's house for the weekend."

motoged - 1-21-2017 at 09:34 AM

When we stayed in Comondu in November, the three of us nearly overwhelmed the accommodation challenge....the hotel guy told us at 2:00 pm that he couldn't tell us if they had hotel room(s) available until later that afternoon (too late to wait for confirmation as La Purisma was about an hour away....and too late to gamble on room availability there)....so I pressed him a bit for "otro habitacions"...and after several conversations, he indicated that he arranged accommodations in two places (homes) beside one another for us....we agreed....and I asked for a guarantee....and he gave it with a handshake....

"Phew....problem solved" I thought...

He walked us down the street to a building beside the church....the door was falling off the hinges, there were several sleeping rooms, each with sleeping cots and blankets, a kitchen and a bathroom that hadn't seen use in a long time, no water, and an odor that never really went away even with the best ventilation we could create (floor was mopped with some horrible kerosene-smelling concoction....and the mop was in the room emanating its toxic aroma until I figured that out and moved it outside. There was a courtyard with pomegranate trees, a table and a few chairs....and cold water running from a tap that we used to fill a 5 gallon pail for our shower.....the toilet facilities were at the hotel back down the street.

Gary and Dave were valiant in there adaptation to such humble offerings....I figured it was better than sleeping in the desert w/ no bag or tent....we all sucked it up and settled in....the restaurant made us a simple meal of chicken soup w/tortillas (poor Dave was hoping for something different....:biggrin: ).

All in all, it was a great "adventure tale" to be told in depth around a campfire. The rooming fee was $200 MP each....and NO chocolates on the pillow....and no pillow.

I am not complaining at all, and kinda liked the situation.....

While I was initially disappointed that only two guys showed up for that ride despite a flurry of initial interest, a week before the ride I realized that the logistics for food and lodging were going to be a challenge for any more than 4-6 people...so was happy with our trio.

In no way am I wanting to discourage Nomads from Richard's trip, as his route is a bit easier (not going to San Juanico via Raymundo) and the group dynamic will be "more dynamic".

Pack some food and what you need to sleep in case you don't find rooms....and a roll of TP for your squat behind a cordon....and you won't need to worry about accommodations....

A ride from San Juanico to Comondu and back, or even La Purisma and back to Comondu isn't really practical in my opinion to try to solve the room issue....San Juanico has two B&B places with several rooms and a hotel with about six rooms....all which may or may not be available....However, as I said earlier, as most attending will be Baja locals, I trust their resourcefulness in solving such concerns.

Hammocks are cool, but really limit their use as not everywhere has a place to hang them....tent would be better for this trip :light:

Go prepared w/ edibles (especially for stay in Comondu) and sleeping set-up....and you will have a smug smile come night-time.

Oh.....and have some fun :coolup:

AKgringo - 1-21-2017 at 09:54 AM

One bright spot with the church annex accommodations, was being able to park our vehicles in a court yard with a gate. I had the top off of my Kia, and was glad I did not have to haul the contents indoors with us.

If you wind up using that bunk house, make sure that you put your own lock on the chain, or that the caretaker leaves you with the key. It took a while to find that guy so we could leave the next day!

LaTijereta - 1-21-2017 at 10:27 AM

Have you looked into this place in La Purisima?

https://www.facebook.com/cabanaslapurisima/

mcnut - 1-21-2017 at 11:59 AM

Looks like a fantastic overnight option for the area. I wish I could go with you guys but the the dates both last year and this year just didn't work for me.

Bruce

Comondu church annex

AKgringo - 1-21-2017 at 12:36 PM

It occurs to me that your ride is on a Saturday, and Sunday. The courtyard that Ged, Dave and I parked in has a side door that enters directly into the back of the main part of the church.

Sunday morning there would be a whole lot different than when we stayed there, if it is even available. They might get a bit annoyed with a bunch of motors firing up during services.

At least you would be getting a wake up church bell in the morning!

off the beaten path

ztrab - 1-31-2017 at 09:22 AM

Crossing at Rumorosa on the 16th on 500/650 dirt bikes, unsupported. I was hoping Raymundo was open, doesn't sound promising. Will be riding from Scorp Bay- San Isidro to Comondu and over to Loreto unless the loop back from SJC to Crucertio via Picacho, El Horno, etc. is doable. Just 3 maybe 4 bikes, so we are very flexible. I haven't ridden some of these trails in several years, thought it was time to revisit. I'll be watching this thread for info and post up my trail reports when I get back.

AKgringo - 1-31-2017 at 09:56 AM

Ztrab, have you been following this other thread? http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83594&got...

I drove the San Raymundo wash in a Kia Sportage over Thanksgiving. The water crossings were deeper than I expected, and there was way too much driving right down the center of the arroyo for my taste, but it is open. Clearance was more of a concern than traction, so I did not air down. I should have, it would have been a better ride!

The road through El Horno was in great shape! I did not try the route through El Picacho, would love to hear if it is open!

Willy, sorry for side-jacking your ride thread!

willyAirstream - 1-31-2017 at 09:56 AM

We will post a report here on our return. 3 weeks ago a father/ son team did the Mulege/SJ/LaPris/hwy loop in 8 hours on 250s, so that route is can`t be too bad. :)

http://WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM/ the hotel in Comondu still has rooms for the 4th, best to act now.

ztrab - 1-31-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
We will post a report here on our return. 3 weeks ago a father/ son team did the Mulege/SJ/LaPris/hwy loop in 8 hours on 250s, so that route is can`t be too bad. :)

http://WWW.HACIENDADONMARIO.COM/ the hotel in Comondu still has rooms for the 4th, best to act now.

Thanks and yes I have been looking at the board. I just realized even though I joined in 2006, I never post here, shame on me, I'll put up my next ride. Great forum, time to give back :-)

willyAirstream - 1-31-2017 at 10:14 AM

No problem AK, it is all about sharing info. That is why Chucky invented the internet 55 years ago.

The hotel link above is still bad, best to contact them via FB or email. Internet there is spotty, so reply may take awhile.

motoged - 1-31-2017 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ztrab  
Crossing at Rumorosa on the 16th on 500/650 dirt bikes, unsupported. I was hoping Raymundo was open, doesn't sound promising. Will be riding from Scorp Bay- San Isidro to Comondu and over to Loreto .....

Hey, Z....get some dirt on that thing.....San Raymundo route is the best part of that ride....San Juanico and the rest is easy....

And have fun....

DeMinimis - 1-31-2017 at 08:22 PM

Man oh man, I wish.

ztrab - 2-2-2017 at 12:13 AM

Hey, Z....get some dirt on that thing.....San Raymundo route is the best part of that ride....San Juanico and the rest is easy....

And have fun....[/
Ha, yeah it is scary clean, new tank, seat, bags, some plastic. Taking it out tomorrow fully loaded with new tires to make sure nothing falls off, then it's on the tended while I'm at my beach shack on the mainland, home for two days, then heading to Baja. I've never been packed so early. Taking two new guys, that's always fun! I've been floggimg my pumpkins while building the 501 to replace my 690. Saludos

motoged - 2-2-2017 at 10:25 AM

.... I've been floggimg my pumpkins while building the 501 to replace my 690. Saludos

Z,
I have my orange 450 down this trip (4 months of Baja riding....woohoo !!)....my 690 is good for more paved tripping here, but the 450 is the sandmeister for me now....

Sorry to miss Richard's ride....should be a good gathering.

ztrab - 2-6-2017 at 08:46 AM

Motoged: Come out and play, I need a guide through Raymundo. Mike :yes:

[Edited on 2-6-2017 by ztrab]

Gulliver - 2-6-2017 at 08:50 AM

Pretty hard to get lost going that way. But it does seem to go on forever.

Last season I did a one day loop from Mulege to Mulege via San Juanico and San Isidro and I was pooped. Although maybe half of it was easy riding it was still a workout.

motoged - 2-6-2017 at 10:28 AM

Mike,
I am in Bahia Asuncion until March 15th.....can't get to Mulege area due to commitments here....but know a ton of most excellent rides in this area....why don't you bring the Husky here for a few days of riding....beach trails, desert sandy tracks like roller coaster rides, wide open desert exploring (fossils, etc), and premium gas at the Pemex....what else could a guy want?

Gulliver - 2-6-2017 at 03:19 PM

The rumors of excitement on the ride are trickling in. Among others they include a bike rider dislocating a shoulder, a certain famous red buggy getting lost (!) and a very experienced rider from Mulege hitting a jackrabbit or something and cracking a couple of ribs.

Another quad racer claims to have been too tired to crawl off of his steed on Sunday night.

Clearly we will need to connect with the bomberos for an ambulance sag wagon for next time!

(This from a slacker who didn't make the ride at all. Mea Culpa.)

willyAirstream - 2-6-2017 at 10:20 PM

Brief trip report
The players...about 12 motos, 2 quads, full size pick up, 2 wd Toyota, Jeep Patriot, 87 FJ Toyota, 91 CJ Jeep, 94 Jeep, Rzr 1000turbo and my Funco.
The 87 FJ only planned on the loop below the bay and returned home. The Jeep Patriot got about half way to San Isidoro and left to take a crash victim to Loreto with 2 motos..
Everyone else continued to San Isidoro for lunch, then only Al, myself, the 91 Jeep and the large pick up went to Comondu.

We exited the Hwy at km74 to San Sabastion Cove, a secret paradise. A few washed out areas at the beginning, then smooth sailing. It is an amazing place with huge palms and great views. Then we took a left in the palms, after going in the wrong direction for 4 miles, to San Nicolas, a tiny road that can be barely seen, best to ask, otherwise you will easily get lost. The beginning of this road was the worst part of the trip, very steep, narrow, loose
rocks and cliffs. Everyone made it over ok, except the large pick up who got lost, but caught back up at Rosarito, km 63. There are 2 or 3 beautiful coves along the way to San Nicolas and lots of abandoned places destroyed by hurricanes. Not much in San Nicolas, or we missed it, so we headed out, to have a coke at km64. The road to San Isidoro, km60, is washed out and difficult. The concrete areas can present a 12 inch step and if
you don't slow down you can damage tires/wheels and worse. One moto caught the concrete lip, crashed and broke his collar bone, but otherwise ok. The Rzr and I went bout 40 to 50 mph, same with the motos and the others about 20 to 25. Lunch in LP took 2 hours as we overwhelmed the restaurant with so many people. The one man operation sent someone to the store to buy the ingredients after we ordered. We got a late start to Comondu, but that road is an easy drive and we were shooting for a 6pm arrival, but I had a fuel problem and we got delayed. We arrived about 8 or 9. and settled in to shower and a hot meal at Hotel Don Mario which is a great place, with large clean rooms and a courtyard dining area. The kind of place that you walk in to the kitchen/living room to give your food order and grab your beers. We had a great time with Edgar, the owners brother in law who showed us pics of Comondu and gave us a history lesson. After a relaxed hearty breakfast we left about 10 or so and slowed the pace down so the large pick up could keep up.We were all tired and deceided to come back the same route. We got to the restaurant/truck stop on the hwy , km 64 about 2pm, once again overwhelming the staff. We had some amazing Tacos and left about 4pm. Al had an incident with a goat, just south of the bay. With in 2 minutes a military ambulance arrived, on there way to La Paz, but had no room for him. They directed traffic and assisted Al until we arrived about 10 minutes later. We first took him to the Mulege clinic where he got cleaned up and a few stitches, then to San Rosalia for xrays in case there was internal injuries. He got back home about midnight and is doing fine with only broken ribs. The doctor and xray tech were waiting for him and it all went amazingly smooth, especially on a Sunday night.
All in all, an easy drive to Comondu, except getting out of San Sabastian to San Nicolas. The 2wd Toyota made it to LP with out problems as did others. They didn't continue as they planned on only a one day trip.Locals report the road to San Javier is in good
condition. And contrary to recent reports, the G.... trail road is passable! (out thru Paso Hondo)

We meet David K in LP and he was gathering info for another detailed book!

4 minute video here, pics on FB
https://vimeo.com/202859266

Gulliver - 2-6-2017 at 10:43 PM

Sheesh! Too much crashing and burning. Great report though. And happy to hear about the hotel. Saves packing camp gear on a bike.

Now I have to get a couple of buddies and see if the Comundu locals are right about the road from there to San Javier.

I'm nervous about the locals report of the Gaujademe road being in decent shape as Al had a different take when trying it from the North. Another check ride needed with lots of time and gas.

David K - 2-7-2017 at 04:32 PM

San Javier highway to Comondu is a 4WD/ORV road, not maintained since the heavy rains messed up so much down here. Fun meeting Willy Airstream. My trip report will have nauseating details, fear not! In L.A. Bay tonight.

4x4abc - 2-7-2017 at 06:28 PM

km74 to San Sabastion Cove?

need help to locate it on Google Earth

edit - figured it out

[Edited on 2-8-2017 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 2-7-2017 at 06:43 PM

lat/long for Hacienda Don Mario?

willyAirstream - 2-7-2017 at 10:05 PM

Harald, 74 or km 78, both take you there.
no gps on this trip. Hotel is in San Miguel de Comondu, enter town, take your first left. btw, 1100/night double, 1150 double with kitchen. Reservations suggested!

613 131 1494 la paz number

the web site is still down

email is best
jackylapaz@hotmail.com replies with in 4 hours from La Paz
FB replies come from Comondu with intermittent internet

David K - 2-7-2017 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
lat/long for Hacienda Don Mario?

Harold, it is on my map that you have, see the message 'motel' in San Miguel Comondú.

KurtG - 2-8-2017 at 09:02 AM

Sorry to hear about Al's broken ribs, been there and know how much it hurts. Deep breathing hurts and a cough can be agony. Hope you have a fast recovery. I had full intentions of joining this ride but my little spill on the way down changed my plans, recuperating at home now and have regained most use of my right arm. I'll be back in Mulege and points south in the next 30 days but in the 4wd this time.

Gulliver - 2-8-2017 at 09:25 AM

Slow down, you move too fast.
Got to make the mornin' last.

ride

ztrab - 3-4-2017 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Mike,
I am in Bahia Asuncion until March 15th.....can't get to Mulege area due to commitments here....but know a ton of most excellent rides in this area....why don't you bring the Husky here for a few days of riding....beach trails, desert sandy tracks like roller coaster rides, wide open desert exploring (fossils, etc), and premium gas at the Pemex....what else could a guy want?

The site went down before I could respond. A Dbag mooched onto my group and held us up, so we only rode as far south as San Ig, no time to stop in an say hello. I and another rider did do the Window Rock trail from BOLA to Calmajue. It was really pretty out there and not too bad, a few tough climbs and a bit of whooped out sand, great single track. Catch ya next year. Mike

Gulliver - 3-5-2017 at 08:26 AM

Anyone hurt? Bikes broke?

There was a group of street bike here yesterday. Fifteen of them. It would be hard to see much and still ride safely with that much of a group. Not for me.