BajaNomad

Beach camping: Suv with tent or Popup tent camper

Sailorv - 12-5-2017 at 09:27 PM

Beach camping only, for 4-6 weeks March-April. How much is it roughing it car camping (suv with platform and cushions for sleeping or in the tent) with an suv tent vs a Popup tent camper for beach camping on the SOC?

I realize the question is subjective. Either way the goal is beach camping sites with palapas. We, two adults and potentially our 60lb older dog, would have to buy said pup just for this trip and sell it upon return, so that's a big drawback. However, do you or have you noticed other campers really struggling with tent alone?

The objective is to keep it on budget and have a great time with out 18' tandem kayak that is a sweet lil trimaran. If suv tent camping we will have it on a trailer or car top it. If the pup it will be on a rack on it and mast on suv.

Thanks for giving your opinion. Sailorv

mickeykreg - 12-6-2017 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sailorv  
Beach camping only, for 4-6 weeks March-April. How much is it roughing it car camping (suv with platform and cushions for sleeping or in the tent) with an suv tent vs a Popup tent camper for beach camping on the SOC?

I realize the question is subjective. Either way the goal is beach camping sites with palapas. We, two adults and potentially our 60lb older dog, would have to buy said pup just for this trip and sell it upon return, so that's a big drawback. However, do you or have you noticed other campers really struggling with tent alone?

The objective is to keep it on budget and have a great time with out 18' tandem kayak that is a sweet lil trimaran. If suv tent camping we will have it on a trailer or car top it. If the pup it will be on a rack on it and mast on suv.

Thanks for giving your opinion. Sailorv

I've been debating the camper thing since returning from Baja in March, and just bought a small pop up that's designed for off road (not cheap). For us it was a matter of having somewhere to get out of the wind. We rented palapas more than we would've liked just to escape the wind. Weather when your going should be a bit better than we experienced in January.

Don't miss
Daggets camp at Bahia de LA
LaPerla, and the sweet old lady that lives there.
Also Juncalito, south of Loreto

Definitely a subjective question, and obviously depends on your tolerance for the elements, but bad weather for that long can wear anyone down.

Our trip here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85420

tiotomasbcs - 12-6-2017 at 07:49 AM

Spring winds can be strong.

PeregrineA1 - 12-6-2017 at 08:34 AM

We are fans of tent camping, even for extended periods. A quality tent helps, particularly if wind is expected. We use an REI Half Dome 4 for the two of us and it is perfect. Enough room for generous sleeping pads and a paired bag, plus a couple of bags of clothes. Shoes go outside.

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 09:19 AM

[/rquote]

I've been debating the camper thing since returning from Baja in March, and just bought a small pop up that's designed for off road (not cheap). For us it was a matter of having somewhere to get out of the wind. We rented palapas more than we would've liked just to escape the wind. Weather when your going should be a bit better than we experienced in January.

Don't miss
Daggets camp at Bahia de LA
LaPerla, and the sweet old lady that lives there.
Also Juncalito, south of Loreto

Definitely a subjective question, and obviously depends on your tolerance for the elements, but bad weather for that long can wear anyone down.

Our trip here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85420[/rquote]
Mickey, thanks I will ck out your thread.
Why the debate? What was bothering you most tent camping? What you mentioned already or more?

BhLA may not make it in mix due to time (especially if we go only 4 wks, really a 1wk is almost used for driving being from Northern California). Is it known as a better place for sailing or other wind sports?

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 09:25 AM

Thanks Tio, can you go into a little more detail how strong and if certain areas have wind longer than others? We kinda are trying to follow the wind on this trip. Day after day of 20-25kt breezes are not what we are after, but we hope to see a few.

Peregrine, I am a total newb when it comes to camping gear so thanks. Any make/model suggestions are welcome. The original plan was an motorhome, but many here discouraged a low cost one and we have ended up with less time off, so camping seems the prudent or pup camping seems the prudent choice.

David K - 12-6-2017 at 09:35 AM

If this is your first Deep Baja Trip, don't miss Bahía de los Angeles. Camp Archelon is just south of Daggett's, so check it, too. Hot showers, palapas, and cots included. Daggetts has rooms, cabins, and palapas. There are other places and open camping at La Gringa, 5 miles north. There is also a sand beach at the south end of the bay, 5 miles from town. Then continue south to Las Animas, San Rafael, San Francisquito, then back to Hwy 1 near Vizcaino. See my 2017 Trip #1 for photos and more.

bajabuddha - 12-6-2017 at 09:54 AM

Sailorv, check your u2u.

MMc - 12-6-2017 at 10:11 AM

I am a tent camper with a big old truck. I usually take surfboards, kayak, fishing and snorkeling gear. I have a 15x15 swapmeet tarp so I don't needa palpa. I always take a tent so I can put stuff away out of the wind and rain when I sleep in the back of the truck. I sleep mostly in the tent when the weather is fair.
Get a good tent, 3 season minimum, 4 person is far more comfortable. get a good sleeping pad, (Thermarest or like).

AKgringo - 12-6-2017 at 10:11 AM

Mostly good suggestions David, but I would not recommend Las Animas for a loaded two wheel drive pulling a trailer.

I drove in there about a week before you did, and did not need to put my hubs in, but I had that option. My little 2 dr Sportage weighs very little and I had low pressure oversize tires.

Having said that, it would be a great place to explore with the kayak! If you go in there, at least be prepared to drop your air pressure for the drive in, and re-inflate when you get back to the main road. Actually, you should be prepared to air down on many of the beaches you will want to visit!

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by AKgringo]

David K - 12-6-2017 at 10:26 AM

Not sure how much you are into 'ease of set up' but we purchased a Coleman Instant Tent in 2011 and it has been fantastic. I used it on 8 Baja trips this year alone and it continues to be a great product.
1) Sets up in seconds, packs away in a couple minutes.
2) Tall enough to stand up inside... making getting dressed so much easier.
3) Has large screen windows, so great in the summer.

The only negative is it doesn't have a rain fly, and while rain bursts along the gulf coast in the summer did not get through, the all-night fog along the Pacific did, eventually. Just a bit annoying with only a few wet spots inside. Maybe there is an optional one?

In 2012:

In 2017:

David K - 12-6-2017 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Mostly good suggestions David, but I would not recommend Las Animas for a loaded two wheel drive pulling a trailer.

I drove in there about a week after you did, and did not need to put my hubs in, but I had that option. My little 2 dr Sportage weighs very little and I had low pressure oversize tires.

Having said that, it would be a great place to explore with the kayak! If you go in there, at least be prepared to drop your air pressure for the drive in, and re-inflate when you get back to the main road. Actually, you should be prepared to air down on many of the beaches you will want to visit!

Yes indeed... 4WD is what you want to SEE Baja! Air pressure is a big part and even 2WDs can get unstuck or not stuck in the first place if enough air is removed from the tires!
Get a good pump (clips onto battery, not plugs into cigarette lighter).
Get a good dial air pressure gauge that reads below 10 psi (0-60 for example).
Have good condition tires and bring a plug kit. With the air pump, you can fix most nail or sharp rock caused punctures.
Depending on the vehicle and tires and load, usually drop 1/3 the normal street pressure for dirt roads and 1/2 for deep sand. In my case, a Tacoma 4 door with 34 psi street pressure tires: 24 psi on dirt roads and 17 psi in deep sand. The tires I run do really well in sand (Hankook Dynapro ATM) but other tires may require down to 10 psi, such as BFG All Terrain TAs and other 3 ply sidewall or mud type tires.

Hook - 12-6-2017 at 10:50 AM

Seriously, in any windy conditions, a three season tent IS the minimum. Most all tents as tall as the one David K is showing is a liability in a strong wind. The support poles can actually snap and the side into the wind can remain flattened by a continuous blow. Plus, a tent that tall will "shuffle" all night in the wind; not moving, of course, but very noisy. Lower profile tents are quieter.

I would opt for the separate tent, rather than the tent trailer, IF you have all the other things for an outdoor camp setup. These tents of today with the shock-corded poles and sleeves set up so fast IF you have two people. A bit slower if you are solo, but still you are up in less than five minutes (not counting rain fly and tent stakes.

Oh, and btw, invest in some sand stakes. The "stock" tent pegs are pretty useless in loose soils and sand.

MMc - 12-6-2017 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Hook, Good points on tents and stakes. The 12" nails work well, also the surplus Army stakes also good.

mtgoat666 - 12-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

Try 12” and 18” rebar stakes. Cheap. Strong. Easy to drive with small sledge.

PeregrineA1 - 12-6-2017 at 11:29 AM

REI Half Dome 4 on Playa Escondida, south of Mulege

and a pair of them south of Erendira. We like them so much we have two....

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by BajaNomad]

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 11:36 AM

Wow, great feedback and advice, thank you!

Well here's a potential wrench regarding 3 season tents....we would buy an suv tent. These are the tents that bungee around your rear door. This way we can sleep in the suv but have a nice open and connected tent. Especially if we bring our dog we will need this setup.

Anybody used one of these in Baja yet? Also, we intend on only going to places that have palapas, to ensure we all have shade and the tri and it's gear have shade too. We were thinking that depending on wind direction, most likely northerly, we can park the car against the palapas downwind of it or car facing wind direction for better sleeping and tent protection.

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 11:42 AM

The suv tents are usually 3 season. But if anyone has experience with them in Baja that would be nice to know.

Again, a popup is an option still. But the less dramatic route is usually what we go for. However, comfort is often #1 :/

sd - 12-6-2017 at 11:44 AM

A risk I see is you are out sailing and your camp is taken away by someone who wants your stuff.
I have done tent and kayak, so much fun. I have been lucky, no thefts.

mtgoat666 - 12-6-2017 at 11:46 AM

Wow, great feedback and advice, thank you!

Well here's a potential wrench regarding 3 season tents....we would buy an suv tent. These are the tents that bungee around your rear door. This way we can sleep in the suv but have a nice open and connected tent. Especially if we bring our dog we will need this setup.

Anybody used one of these in Baja yet? Also, we intend on only going to places that have palapas, to ensure we all have shade and the tri and it's gear have shade too. We were thinking that depending on wind direction, most likely northerly, we can park the car against the palapas downwind of it or car facing wind direction for better sleeping and tent protection.

I use a tent and blow-up queen mattress. Way more comfortable than sleeping in an suv. Also, often want to drive away for a day trip w/o disassembling camp.

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by mtgoat666]

PeregrineA1 - 12-6-2017 at 12:05 PM

I will second the thought that a set-up independent of the vehicle is preferred. Breaking camp to go get supplies or sight see is a pain.

We have, on occasion slept in the back of the truck. It's plenty comfortable, but have migrated to almost 100% tent camping. I can set up the tent in 5 minutes, take it down in 10. The truck acts as a secure storage area in dicey places.

Also did the slippery slope of RV's for a couple of decades. Started with a tent trailer-nice, but really not much better than a tent and you have to drive in the right two lanes. Two slide in campers-see above about breaking camp, plus it limited where we could go due to being top heavy. Travel trailer-nice and comfy, very limiting on where we could go, plus the lane restrictions in CA. We may look at a 4 Wheel Pop-up as a compromise as we age, but I'm still leery about the lack of mobility once set up.

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
A risk I see is you are out sailing and your camp is taken away by someone who wants your stuff.
I have done tent and kayak, so much fun. I have been lucky, no thefts.

That has crossed my mind. It's a reason we figure we will just need to pick about three/four campsites overall that have others around. Hopefully willing to keep a watch? We find this in the sailing community but don't know this community. Thoughts?

sd - 12-6-2017 at 12:24 PM

I would go with a tent like David has. I used to have one, set up and take down is so easy. Air mattress and sleeping bags. If you loose it, not much lost.
Yes, I think your idea to camp with others is best for security. There is a charm camping in your own space, BUT, once you leave a camp unattended it will be gone while you sail.

Keep it simple.

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 12:26 PM

The pocket that slings over the suv can be buttoned up so you can take off. What I hear is the biguest drawback is when you come back and parking it just right to slip it back on where you had it. You do bring up a solid point we have been wondering - will it be too small, the suv sleeping arrangement. We are building the platform in a week or so and will know better then.

Thanks for sharing your experience with each, that is just the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Quote: Originally posted by PeregrineA1  
I will second the thought that a set-up independent of the vehicle is preferred. Breaking camp to go get supplies or sight see is a pain.

We have, on occasion slept in the back of the truck. It's plenty comfortable, but have migrated to almost 100% tent camping. I can set up the tent in 5 minutes, take it down in 10. The truck acts as a secure storage area in dicey places.

Also did the slippery slope of RV's for a couple of decades. Started with a tent trailer-nice, but really not much better than a tent and you have to drive in the right two lanes. Two slide in campers-see above about breaking camp, plus it limited where we could go due to being top heavy. Travel trailer-nice and comfy, very limiting on where we could go, plus the lane restrictions in CA. We may look at a 4 Wheel Pop-up as a compromise as we age, but I'm still leery about the lack of mobility once set up.

Hook - 12-6-2017 at 12:35 PM

Personally, I would prefer having a tent that stays in camp, especially if you are going to be in a camp for more than 2 days. Nice to have the extra room around you that a standalone tent gives you, too.

A simple rule of thumb on how wind resistant a tent is involves the number of tent poles. If a tent stands over 5 feet high, interior height, then you want AT LEAST three tent poles. When a tent this high has only two poles, there is going to be significant side area that isn't directly supported by poles. This is the area prone to flattening and shuffling in strong winds.

Sometimes the third (or even fourth poles) are simply short sections that create small arches between the main poles. That's fine. Sometimes the third (or even fourth poles) run continuously through sleeves or clip systems along the entire length of the sides. That's even better.

Here is the tent I am currently using. I am done backpacking, so a little extra weight is acceptable for car camping or utilizing a pack station. Note the short side poles near the top. This is an ingenious system that uses a clip system and convex arching to force the tent sides outward; giving maximum volume inside. It also resists shuffling on the exposed sides. So many tents have sides that just hang limp between the two main poles.

This is considered a four person, three season tent. Not suggesting you get this tent as it is not cheap. But see if you can find a similar tent design for in the 200s or so.

I really like the amount of breathability it has, due to large sections of no-see-um netting along the top and sides of the tent AND the fact that it has two doors. I like breathability. So many tents get too hot to nap in, during the day.

You might also consider simply renting a good tent for the trip. REI has good tents and I assume they are reasonable, but dont know, as I have always owned tents.

Marmot Limestone 4P

29220_9366_f.jpg - 81kB

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 12:52 PM

Hook that is a nice tent ya have.
Here are two suv tents, 3 season, between $250-$350 or so.
http://www.rightlinegear.com/suv-tent.html
www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0094FMCTE

When you can pick up a popup for a grand on craigslist it makes these tents seem pricey. But we want to give car camping a try to stay more stealth for more cheap/free cali camping options by the water (sans dog, just us uprights). Having the suv tent will allow us to sleep in the car and dog in the tent, nearby us or the option of all of us in the tent. I tend to stay up later, so if my hubby sleeping in the suv I can be in the tent portion reading, eating, etc without disturbing him.

Hook - 12-6-2017 at 01:02 PM

Just remember that two more tires and two more sets of bearings need to be watched, with a tent trailer. Then, there's the storing of it when you get home.

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sd  
BUT, once you leave a camp unattended it will be gone while you sail.

Keep it simple.

Really? Gone like that?!
Also, would it be acceptable to leave our dog in the tent while out on the boat or is that a no-no? She is very well behaved and on board the boat (big one) she never leaves, never tries to jump ship, she sleeps a ton. People always remark how chill she is. However, I wouldn't want to put her in any kind of danger...
This will help

David K - 12-6-2017 at 01:32 PM

My Instant tent survived a short hurricane-like cloudburst at Bahia Concepcion in July 2015. The rain was coming in sideways! Just the gear inside holds it down fine, I generally never stake the tent or just the four corners to help it set up 'square'. The poles (or frame really) are strong, metal not fiberglass sticks like the dome tents use.

I have bungeed the corners to my truck or a palapa or a sandbag to reduce wind-caused sagging or squashing.

It is just a simple to use, easy to set up, inexpensive alternative to the pricey REI stuff... Coleman is quality to me and my style of camping. I have Coleman Instant Sun Canopy, too.. chairs, stove, all Coleman.

wilderone - 12-6-2017 at 06:55 PM

If there is a blow, a tent inside a palapa (with walls - 3 sided) would be an option you'd want to take advantage of. Many tents with full rainflys also have a vestibule - maybe the dog can sleep there - bring a piece of carpet for comfort. Take extra guy-lines and tie the tent to your car, bushes, large rocks if it's going to be windy. You just need to be prepared for a variety of conditions (including sites with no palapa). A disadvantage of a large, high tent, is that it doesn't warm up with body heat - just too big. Check Campmor, OutdoorOutlet, Eureka, Sierra Trading Post - all online - for gear.

shari - 12-6-2017 at 07:05 PM

I am a tent fan as well as they are so versatile and pack into a small space but must it be low profile. I dont bother with stakes but do make sure there are some big mother rocks I can roll or carry over to tie my tent down...or tie to my truck.

There is nothing like waking up at dawn and looking out your tent door at the ocean with whale spouting in front of you....oh yeah....dont miss camping at the ejido campground at Laguna Ojo de Liebre just south of Guerrero Negro...and they have palapas you can set your tent up in too and the dawg can just be there in the palapa beside the tent or in your truck.

I also have a camper shell on my truck but I hate having to empty stuff out to sleep there which is why the tent is nice but if you cant tent due to bad weather you can still sleep in the truck.

I also have a little trailer for long term camp outs like months in the lagoon with good solar set up, propane fridge....the ritz!!!

Sailorv - 12-6-2017 at 07:17 PM

Thanks David, Wild and Shari!
David, so you seem to advocate the lower cost tent. Something 100-200 right? That would sure help the budget vs the 300 suv kind that's for sure.

Wild, yep scouting out for the 3 walled ones for sure.

Shari, we we're thinking of hitting a pacific side spot for some friendlies. What camp site do you recommend out there we WE have beach access (would prefer to scope out the whales via our awesome boat vs a panga).

David K - 12-6-2017 at 07:53 PM

We got the 6 person Coleman Instant Tent at Target. That was 6 years ago so I don't recall the exact price, but close to $100.

Skipjack Joe - 12-6-2017 at 10:49 PM

If you plan to camp in the tent get one like Peregrine's dome tents. Don't buy a tent like David's for camping in the winter/spring time frame. I've owned several tents like David's and had to replace them due to wind damage. But the one quality dome tent from cabelas I bought 15 years ago has been my last purchase. The dome tents shift and sway with the wind. The rigid tent's frame just bends and stays bent. If you straighten a hollow aluminum rod it fractures.

Chances are you'll never be in a wind storm but if you are, it's quite an experience. You can help by setting up the tent close to the downwind side of a cliff or even a high dune.

Forget the tent trailer idea.

A good tent is an investment. If this is your yearly vacation why take chances by saving $100?

fishbuck - 12-7-2017 at 06:28 AM

th-1.jpg - 15kB

woody with a view - 12-7-2017 at 07:14 AM

don't leave your dog in the tent alone. when some tweeker opens the zipper to rip you off, sh!ts himself when he sees the big dog and runs away, hopefully your dog doesn't go exploring and gets lost.

regarding the boat. you can't launch it in the lagoons to watch whales. it's a restricted activity reserved for the locals. if you feel confident take your boat a couple of miles offshore and maybe come across traveling whales but finding a suitable launch ramp will be tricky. in other words, make another plan!

and finally, have you ever done any camping? it's the same the world over only the views change. buy local produce and goods in the small markets you come across. it keeps the money local, not with the mega chain stores. you can keep ice for at least 3 days without even trying. go ahead and hit the road!

Hook - 12-7-2017 at 07:36 AM

Fishbuck, if I ever get another camping trailer, it will probably be a toy hauler. They are the single greatest design innovation in the RV industry in the last 10-15 years. Not crazy about the bunks that fold out from the walls, though. But so versatile. I think someone is making toy haulers that have a queen bed that descends from the ceiling on a track, much like the Trek RVs used to have.

Sailrv, I, too, have seen how the Coleman's hold up in wind.........they dont. For a decent moderately priced mfgr., you might see what Eureka! is making these days. They were always a decent dome.

Wilderone's suggestion about Sierra Trading Post is a great one. That place is the best outdoor discounter I have come across. They are part of the Marshall's, TJ Maxx corporation.

I still love my truck camper, but for traveling light in mild temps, nothing beats waking up in a tent. So many great air mattresses out there. It really IS camping; everything else is degrees of glamping (glamorous camping). Still worry about tents in grizzly country but black bears are nothing.

UnoMas - 12-7-2017 at 08:15 AM

Stand alone tent would be my choice. Doesn't require to be hooked to your vehicle and you might find a sweet place to set up your tent that is a few feet short of being able to get your vehicle to. Would be a pain unhooking to make a ice or beer run as well!:biggrin:

aguachico - 12-7-2017 at 09:00 AM

TENT all the way.
I use a Eureka 8man tertagon, solo of with my girl.
queen size double thick air mattress allows for great sleeping.
Screen top is great for ventilation.

I need the truck for fishing, kayaking and stuff.

Look into a trailer camper. They have a kitchen and high tent.

MMc - 12-7-2017 at 09:06 AM

Lots of good advice here, Sierra trading ett. all will save you money and offer great value. The wind will be the issue with the possibility of a little rain, second. When it gets windy, the large sidewalls will act as sail and at best will be noisy. With the wind you can not have to many ropes staking it out. In the sand wrap ropes around rocks or something flat, burying it away from the tent and tie it to the tent poles or fly.Try to sleep with a tent that laid flat because it of the wind, not fun.

If you leave the dog in camp tied up, he will be a deterrent if the bad guys see him.

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by MMc]

David K - 12-7-2017 at 09:15 AM

Yes, it is true that a tent in strong wind is not the best form of lodging. But, if that is all you have or cannot get a 5th wheel into the places you want to go, not many more options. Neal Johns always has a pop-up camper on his Tacomas, so there is a tent-like mid-section where it raises up. Those are nice.

As for the comments by Hook: Wish I took a photo during the 60+ mph wind burst, but we were getting hit by sideways rain cuddled under the palapa at La Perla... but the Instant tent was unbothered. If the windows weren't all open, its contents (our bedding) would have remained dry! We had just arrived, set up the tent and bedding, then took a swim. That cloudburst arrived so fast (while we were swimming) it was a shock.

Maybe some other Coleman tents have issues in wind, but not the Instant tent? This one may benefit because of the non-rigid corners and always attached frame on the outside of the tent? It sways and bends but returns to its Borg-cube shape. :light:

Sailorv - 12-7-2017 at 09:35 AM

Thank you everyone!
The last time I went camping was several years ago. But we do go cruising on our sailboat for months at a time though and there is some crossover.

Husband says we must trailer, not car top, the Tandem Island. It's just too heavy to be lugging on and off and he reminded me how noisy it was up there (that's right, very noisy!). So it's boat trailer and a decent tent or older needs a little tlc popup trailer. Either setup will cost around the same, $1k.

The popup provides sleeping off the ground, along with more amenities and storage. Have any of you wished to sleep off the ground? What critters should we be aware of?

Regarding meth heads/tweakers/bad guys - if you have met your neighbor who seems normal and nice like you, would you feel okay with leaving your dog or would you still worry of somebody going through your camp? I had no idea about this issue here in Baja. Most everything I've read online says it's safe and no theft issues of any kind.

David K - 12-7-2017 at 10:18 AM

Here is some current thinking expressed here:
The coast region as far south as El Rosario:
Only camp in established campgrounds or with a group of other campers, never solo. The riff-raff seems to come from the agricultural areas with many non-Baja Mexicans brought over from the mainland.

Other areas, use your best judgment. I personally like to camp well out of sight of the highway... well out of sight... where 4WD is needed to get to. Crooks don't use 4WD to scout the desert seeking victims. They work areas near their cities and towns with easy in and easy out access to the highway.

nbentley1 - 12-7-2017 at 11:36 AM

Conception is a must.... and a trailer is the way to go.

san ignacio.JPG - 100kBlaguna.JPG - 112kBtrailer.JPG - 136kB

mtgoat666 - 12-7-2017 at 11:57 AM

would it be acceptable to leave our dog in the tent while out on the boat or is that a no-no?

i only leave in tent the things i am willing to lose. i dont care if tent or sleeping bags get stolen. but i wont leave my dog alone in a campsite. if doing activities incompatible with dog, then i leave the dog home.

closed tents get hot in full sun, and you should not leave a dog in hot tent for hours.

some types of travel the dogs should just stay home.

chippy - 12-7-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

Nice rig!Please tell me about the trailer.

Hook - 12-7-2017 at 02:01 PM

Yes, trailer is the way to go, if you want to spend that kind of money on a camping utility trailer.

But, in the end, you are in a tent, right?

Someone mentioned one of the best reasons to go tent; you can fit it in more places than anything on wheels.

Dont forget Craigslist, when thinking about getting a tent. I am in Boise ID right now and just did a search in Outdoors using the term Tent. 79 tents came up. There are some screaming deals in there like a large Kelty 3 season dome, a Eureka dome, MSR dome. No Marmots, unfortunately. Virtually all under 100.00. Just inspect the floor of any used tent you are considering. That's where they fail.

The other brand I would avoid is Ozark Trails. Cheap line sold at Walmart and other sporting goods places.

Skipjack Joe - 12-7-2017 at 02:14 PM

Have any of you wished to sleep off the ground? What critters should we be aware of?

Oh there are some real nasties out there. Scorpions, tarantulas, wasps, snakes, velvet ants. Even coyotes in large groups will turn on you. You'd better be careful.

There was the night when 30 of them surrounded my campfire. The only thing that saved my life was fire. They fear it. I kept it going all night. Safety came with the first rays of sunshine. It was a brutal night, I can tell you that.

Normally I say 50 Hail Mary's before going to bed. Seems to work. I learned that from Fredo in Godfather.

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by Skipjack Joe]

mtgoat666 - 12-7-2017 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Have any of you wished to sleep off the ground? What critters should we be aware of?

Oh there are some real nasties out there. Scorpions, tarantulas, wasps, snakes, velvet ants. Even coyotes in large groups will turn on you. You'd better be careful.

There was the night when 30 of them surrounded my campfire. The only thing that saved my life was fire. They fear it. I kept it going all night. Safety came with the first rays of sunshine. It was a brutal night, I can tell you that.

Normally I say 50 Hail Mary's before going to bed. Seems to work. I learned that from Fredo in Godfather.

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by Skipjack Joe]

i worry more about the chupacabras :o :!:

nbentley1 - 12-7-2017 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

Nice rig!Please tell me about the trailer.

Started life on the back of a beer mat after years of having the exact same debate that is taking place on this thread. Pull out kitchen and fridge, platform raises with electronic actuators to give me the height for the tent annex. Based around an old landrover axle to make sure the bolt patterns match the truck. Finished it a couple of years ago. Made a couple of trips to Conception, San Ignacio, laguna Hanson and many stops in between, so plenty of bouncing around and so far no issues or need to make modifications. Anything specifically you are looking for?

Sailorv - 12-7-2017 at 02:32 PM

April in Concepcion or Loreto in mid March - mid April gets how hot?
I know you mean. We may have to leave her with family. She is at that age where they go quick when they get sick, so we really want to include her in this vacation/adventure. So it's a tough decision.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
would it be acceptable to leave our dog in the tent while out on the boat or is that a no-no?

closed tents get hot in full sun, and you should not leave a dog in hot tent for hours.

nbentley1 - 12-7-2017 at 02:54 PM

April in Concepcion or Loreto in mid March - mid April gets how hot?
I know you mean. We may have to leave her with family. She is at that age where they go quick when they get sick, so we really want to include her in this vacation/adventure. So it's a tough decision.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

We were is conception towards the end of Feb earlier in the year and the temps were probably in the low 80's during the day and dropping down at nigh if I remember. It was very comfortable.

JZ - 12-7-2017 at 03:03 PM

Make sure the tent has thick poles. I've used those cheap Coleman's and had the thin poles snap in half.

MMc - 12-7-2017 at 03:05 PM

I would take the dog. Dog will be fine tied up with shade, food and water.

shari - 12-7-2017 at 03:25 PM

i paid $40 for my tent and love it...
You could check out Laguna Manuela which your find by turning towards the beach at Jesus Maria a half hour before Guerrero Negro and there you can camp in the estuary and launch your boat there and may see some whales there...just be very careful as they are protective of their babies with strange boats around...or maybe at Magdelena Bay you can use your boat too.

Sailorv - 12-7-2017 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I would take the dog. Dog will be fine tied up with shade, food and water.
[/rquote

Thanks MMc because that's what we hoped for. She is totally chill and low maintenance, people love here because of her beautiful coat and her sweet self - people always go out of their way to pet and spend time with her - we've met great friends just because of her. We're lucky to have her and want this adventure to be for her too.

Sailorv - 2-28-2018 at 12:05 AM

Update!

Well after researching it, assessing our needs and limitations we went with a high top conversion van! Bit of a project van but she is now smogged and 4 new tires ready for the road. Now we just need a 16' trailer for the kayak/trimaran.

Making it for March or April is looking more difficult though. That's a bummer, but that's life sometimes.

Anyhow, thanks for everyone's suggestions,
SailorV

John Harper - 2-28-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Sounds like you stole a scene from "Quigley Down Under."

John

Hook - 3-1-2018 at 06:49 AM

Update!

Well after researching it, assessing our needs and limitations we went with a high top conversion van! Bit of a project van but she is now smogged and 4 new tires ready for the road. Now we just need a 16' trailer for the kayak/trimaran.

Making it for March or April is looking more difficult though. That's a bummer, but that's life sometimes.

SailorV

Van conversions with a high top are hot items right now. Used ones are going for as much as they were new. Very versatile vehicles, though usually not 4wd. You really dont have to break down camp much to go get supplies. Just throw the collapsible chairs in. Ford chassis?

Thinking back on some of the big camping advances in my life, I would not be without the RV-style polypropylene camping mats that first surfaced in the 90s. They are easily cleaned, very mildew resistant, thick enough to protect bare feet from the ground, pass liquids easily (a small section makes a good shower area) and they dry very fast. They also fold up easily and store compactly, for the capabilities they have.

A 9 x 12 one, outside the entrance to your van, keeps dirt far away and is large enough to set up an outside table, a couple chairs and more. All have either loops for stakes or grommets.

Walmart has them for cheap.

Sailorv - 3-2-2018 at 01:19 PM

Hook,
You're telling me!!! C-vans from the 80s with 200k miles asking $4-5k here in Cali. Low miles, man some 10k, crazy.
We bought a project since hubby is a mechanic and boat restorer. She is tip top now and with 4 new tires feeling confident about Baja. Yes, we will be sleeping in the van.

Oh and Chevy, hubs had a ford chassis cargo van before, he said no way we were going ford.

However, we have a big dog so we are looking into a tent for her to put right outside next to us, and as a potty place for us. Still trying to figure out what to do there. Your mat sounds like a good suggestion. I was thinking a nice looking roll up carpet but we will be putting practicality first. We are still unsure about bringing her with us, she is old with long black hair (probably would clip her short for the trip).
What are temp in April like in Mulege- LP?

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Update!

SailorV

Van conversions with a high top are hot items right now. Used ones are going for as much as they were new. Very versatile vehicles, though usually not 4wd. You really dont have to break down camp much to go get supplies. Just throw the collapsible chairs in. Ford chassis?

Thinking back on some of the big camping advances in my life, I would not be without the RV-style polypropylene camping mats that first surfaced in the 90s. They are easily cleaned, very mildew resistant, thick enough to protect bare feet from the ground, pass liquids easily (a small section makes a good shower area) and they dry very fast. They also fold up easily and store compactly, for the capabilities they have.

A 9 x 12 one, outside the entrance to your van, keeps dirt far away and is large enough to set up an outside table, a couple chairs and more. All have either loops for stakes or grommets.

Walmart has them for cheap.

[Edited on 3-2-2018 by Sailorv]

[Edited on 3-2-2018 by Sailorv]

Hook - 3-2-2018 at 02:08 PM

Roll up carpets trap sand and dirt. They also trap dog hair. And they are slow to dry if they get wet. These poly mats dont do that. The "fibers" are basically woven plastic "tubes" of maybe 1/16 diameter and smooth-skinned. But there is no "pile" to them to create a soft feel. They are very comfortable on bare feet.

If it starts to rain, leave em out. Rain goes right through them.

Nothing beats em, that I have come across.

There are collapsible privacy huts made of rip stop nylon sides that are very nice for either a portable toilet or as a shower enclosure. You will find that your rig, if it has a grey water holding tank, is very limited in size. Best to set up an outside shower and let the water drain on the ground. Save the grey water capacity for dishes and such. Especially nice if you van has an outside shower.

Here is one on Amazon.

Stake it down or just put rocks in the lower pockets to prevent wind from blowing it over. Put a poly mat under it (maybe a far corner of a 9x12 mat) and you never even have to use shower shoes. Walk right out of the van, barefoot, onto the mat and head for your "shower house". These structures have no floor, typically.

Hook - 3-2-2018 at 02:13 PM

What engine in that Chevy? 350 or the 454? Or, I guess it could be a six cylinder; maybe they made those, too.

I am averse to the 454s because they were bigger gas hogs than the Ford 460 AND they were notorious for exhaust manifold leaks. But if a 454, this is probably old enough that it's already been replaced.

Sailorv - 3-2-2018 at 10:12 PM

fishbuck - 3-4-2018 at 10:50 PM

Ok. I tuned back into this and I think I can live in a Zodiac truck tent.
Anybody ever used one?

John Harper - 3-5-2018 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok. I tuned back into this and I think I can live in a Zodiac truck tent.
Anybody ever used one?

I talked to a guy with one up in Mammoth last summer. He had the same complaint I likely would have had. It sucks if you want to go into town or go on a daytrip. You have to break down camp just to use your truck.

I use an 8 x 7 dome tent, a cot, and a deluxe Thermarest pad for car camping, nice to be able to sit on the cot an put your boots on in the morning.

John

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by John Harper]

John Harper - 3-5-2018 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
These poly mats dont do that. The "fibers" are basically woven plastic "tubes" of maybe 1/16 diameter and smooth-skinned. But there is no "pile" to them to create a soft feel. They are very comfortable on bare feet.

If it starts to rain, leave em out. Rain goes right through them.

Nothing beats em, that I have come across.

Have a link to these? I was looking for a 5 x 7 mat for my tent. I tried Walmart but came up blank, except for some fancy looking ones for RV's.

John