BajaNomad

San Felipe, tourist permit?

gringorio - 1-28-2018 at 10:36 PM

Hi ya'll,

Just wondering if San Felipe is still a place you can go without obtaining a tourist permit?

Thanks!

bajaguy - 1-28-2018 at 10:47 PM

Nope, you need the FMM as soon as you cross the border. There are no "free" immigration areas

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  
Hi ya'll,

Just wondering if San Felipe is still a place you can go without obtaining a tourist permit?

Thanks!

gringorio - 1-28-2018 at 10:51 PM

Cool! Thanks for the clarification. :)

sancho - 1-29-2018 at 01:09 PM

I always get an fmm for San Felipe at the Downtown Mexicali crossing, how
many tourists do? From my experience, guessing less than
50%

AKgringo - 1-29-2018 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
50%

And unless a tourist asks the question, they may never know that they needed one!

bajaguy - 1-29-2018 at 01:36 PM

Maybe they (the un-informed tourists) should do some research on the requirements to enter a foreign country...........

And then you have the informed tourists who don't think they need to stop and obtain one.....even if nobody asks to see it

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
50%

And unless a tourist asks the question, they may never know that they needed one!

[Edited on 1-29-2018 by bajaguy]

David K - 1-29-2018 at 01:56 PM

Something like that!
Since our borders are pretty open (at the legal crossing points) with not every car stopped, it is a bit odd that no sign is displayed southbound, or inside Mexican territory, that informs non-Mexican drivers to pull over to get the FMM unless they have a stamped one that is still valid.
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE with the itty bitty parking for this 'mandatory' stop?
It is a flawed system. I would guess less than 25% bother, Sancho! The border zone/72 hour no formality process worked fine.

bajaguy - 1-29-2018 at 02:05 PM

That is not the point. Many people are aware of the requirement and chose to ignore it.

Someone traveling to a foreign country should know the rules before they leave home, signs are not necessary, and if there were signs do you think anyone world read them or comply with them??

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Something like that!
Since our borders are pretty open (at the legal crossing points) with not every car stopped, it is a bit odd that no sign is displayed southbound, or inside Mexican territory, that informs non-Mexican drivers to pull over to get the FMM unless they have a stamped one that is still valid.
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE TRAFFIC NIGHTMARE with the itty bitty parking for this 'mandatory' stop?
It is a flawed system. I would guess less than 25% bother, Sancho! The border zone/72 hour no formality process worked fine.

David K - 1-29-2018 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
That is not the point. Many people are aware of the requirement and chose to ignore it.

Someone traveling to a foreign country should know the rules before they leave home, signs are not necessary, and if there were signs do you think anyone world read them or comply with them??

Something like that!

I understand that. One should know. Not everyone buys a guidebook before driving south, unfortunately.
Signage is just due diligence to inform the traveler if this was truly important to Mexico.
We have signs for the guns and ammo part going into Mexico. I realize it is more upon Mexico to post a sign for their immigration needs. Wouldn't it be polite if they did inform drivers?
No fun to get to Guerrero Negro only to be turned back and told it had to be obtained at the border (as reported once here) or feel coerced into paying a large "tip" to get a pass for not having one (also as reported here at least once).

bajaguy - 1-29-2018 at 03:07 PM

Personally I would like to see INM, the federal Police and the Military all cooperate at the checkpoints......no FMM (or other immigration documents), fined and sent back to the border. Check all vehicle documents and vehicle searches............would eliminate many problems

bajaguy - 1-29-2018 at 03:16 PM

Maybe the US needs to post signs in Mexico with prohibited items and documents needed on all of the roads leading to the US border crossings

Something like that!

I understand that. One should know. Not everyone buys a guidebook before driving south, unfortunately.
Signage is just due diligence to inform the traveler if this was truly important to Mexico.
We have signs for the guns and ammo part going into Mexico. I realize it is more upon Mexico to post a sign for their immigration needs. Wouldn't it be polite if they did inform drivers?
No fun to get to Guerrero Negro only to be turned back and told it had to be obtained at the border (as reported once here) or feel coerced into paying a large "tip" to get a pass for not having one (also as reported here at least once).

sancho - 1-29-2018 at 08:37 PM

AK, I assume I'm reading your reply wrong. I hope you are not suggesting the OP, gringorio, is a mere/1st time tourist going to San Felipe for vacation?
He happens to be on the Sea Shepard, Vaquita preservation crew, which ships are stationed off San Felipe, which I imagine you are aware of

AKgringo - 1-29-2018 at 10:10 PM

Sancho, I follow Gringorio's posts, and appreciate his contributions to the Sea Shepard's efforts, and to this forum.

My response was to you, to add the fact that in addition to those who don't bother to get the FMM, there are those who innocently (and naively) don't know they need one!

In 2012 I crossed the border at San Luis headed for Baja, and was told that I did not need any tourist permit. I made two more trips before I discovered that I was an illegal immigrant!

daveB - 1-30-2018 at 12:07 PM

They have the three day, free pass. But that's only 72 hours, by which time you should be out of the country. That works for a weekend at Rocky Point. But it also confuses the issue when you are stopped by authorities and you don't have a paid for FMM, the tourist permit.

David K - 1-30-2018 at 12:15 PM

It is a 7 day free FMM.

Alm - 1-31-2018 at 05:49 PM

It is a 7 day free FMM.

Yes. Free but mandatory.

It appears that previously allowed 72 hours stay in border zone without FMM is no longer the case. Every gringo crossing SY on foot is required to get FMM, be it free or not free.

On car crossings they don't ask and unless gringo stops and gets FMM, he can cross without FMM, - doesn't mean he is legal.

bajabuddha - 1-31-2018 at 05:58 PM

Ya gotta get it. Ya gotta register. Kind of like what tRumPatsy people want of every 'visitor' to our Country. Obey the laws, do the paperwork, be legal. You want it, you do it too, simple que no? If you gotta pay twenty bucks, oh mercy. Fer cryin' out loud people, how much argument does it take to just do the deed?

daveB - 2-1-2018 at 01:06 PM

If I do a 5 hour walking trip into Los Algodones, do I need a FMM, even the "Free" one? I've heard that, for whatever the reason, this formerly crowded border town, is no longer that.

bajaguy - 2-1-2018 at 01:12 PM

Yes, as soon as you cross the border for any reason

Quote: Originally posted by daveB  
If I do a 5 hour walking trip into Los Algodones, do I need a FMM, even the "Free" one? I've heard that, for whatever the reason, this formerly crowded border town, is no longer that.

daveB - 2-1-2018 at 01:13 PM

I can now see, that border crossings are still evolving. Canada recinded a former government's edict that required a travel Visa for every Mexican entering Canada, that had been in effect for about 5 years.

David K - 2-1-2018 at 01:14 PM

The revised rule is reported that as soon as you enter Mexico, you are required to be documented. Walk into the INM office at the border and get an FMM. Free for 7 days or pay for 180 days. It is that simple. That nobody in Baja may ever request you to show it is another issue and doesn't change the rules but only makes them seem optional to casual border crossers.

sancho - 2-1-2018 at 04:26 PM

A couple months back, on fb, a Tourist going to San Felipe,
crossing so. at the Downtown Mexicali crossing, encountered
a Mex Imm Official, who was standing just inside the red/green
lite entrance into Mexicali, on a very rare occasion they will do
this, asked the tourist where, how long were planning to be in Mex, San Felipe for 5 days was the answer, the Imm officer
said no tourist card required, have a good trip. I was in that
Imm office a few months back, asked for the 7 day fmm,
while he did not directly say it, I got the feeling he thought
it unnecessary for a few day visit. Some Imm offices seem
to be a little fluid with regs, but out of respect/courtesy
I always follow printed regs

Alm - 2-1-2018 at 04:29 PM

And again, you can buy it online for the same price and print on INM website together with Banjercito receipt. Then just stamp it at the border, takes a minute or two.

You will need to specify the crossing when filling the online form, this (probably) can't be changed later.

Keep Banjercito receipt, INM guy might want to see it.

Alm - 2-1-2018 at 04:38 PM

asked for the 7 day fmm,
while he did not directly say it, I got the feeling he thought
it unnecessary for a few day visit.

From his point of view this paperwork is useless when no money is collected for the govt. He himself doesn't benefit, either.

David K - 2-1-2018 at 04:52 PM

Like all the "tough rules" before... give it time, and the whole thing will be laughed at.

The U.S. border officers never insisted on a passport to come back home, even though that's what they said would be required (and we all went out and got one).

The Mexican border does not check every car, only a random red light and then just to check your cargo (for possible import duty $$) and not to see your FMM.

I think it just gets so boring all this regulation. The bottom line, we are desired by Mexico to come to Mexico, so why make it complicated?

The 180-day tourist card was FREE before mid-2000.
When large families could not afford to pay out a hundred dollars plus, just to enter Mexico, they went other places to vacation. Mexico's response was to create the FREE 7-day tourist card. It took a few years, however.

AKgringo - 2-1-2018 at 04:55 PM

If it isn't happening already, I can see the lack of an FMM becoming a way to shake down someone for a mordida!

David K - 2-1-2018 at 05:07 PM

If it isn't happening already, I can see the lack of an FMM becoming a way to shake down someone for a mordida!

It happened to Nomad amigo Art (edm-1) in July 2011. He and his wife crossed at Mexicali, and discovered while getting FMMs the wife's passport had just expired. They refused to issue her an FMM. So, already in Mexico and loaded up for 2 weeks + trip to Cabo and back, they went on. Back then, there was an INM checkpoint by the state border near Guerrero Negro (just before they spray the bottom of your car is a building and stop sign).
Well, the guy there made Art pay a "fine" of US$100. Magically, they could continue. I am summarizing but you can read Art's own words in his trip 2011 trip report.

surabi - 2-1-2018 at 10:44 PM

Like all the "tough rules" before... give it time, and the whole thing will be laughed at.

The U.S. border officers never insisted on a passport to come back home, even though that's what they said would be required (and we all went out and got one).

The Mexican border does not check every car, only a random red light and then just to check your cargo (for possible import duty $$) and not to see your FMM.

I think it just gets so boring all this regulation. The bottom line, we are desired by Mexico to come to Mexico, so why make it complicated?

When large families could not afford to pay out a hundred dollars plus, just to enter Mexico, they went other places to vacation. Mexico's response was to create the FREE 7-day tourist card. It took a few years, however.

Are you aware of any other countries which allow foreign nationals to enter their country, even for a few days, without visas or other documentation?

David K - 2-2-2018 at 08:02 AM

There are only two countries that Americans can drive into from America. For that reason, Canada and Mexico are not 'lumped into' the rest of the world's rules for travel.

bajaguy - 2-2-2018 at 08:30 AM

Mexicans and Canadians are "Americans" along with people from Central "America" and South "America"..............

There are only two countries that Americans can drive into from America. For that reason, Canada and Mexico are not 'lumped into' the rest of the world's rules for travel.

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2018 at 08:49 AM

On the flip side, usa should allow ALL Mexicans to enter USA on free 7-day tourist cards, no restrictions. Fair is fair.
Dk, Why do some of you gringos want free access to Mexico, but want to restrict mexican’s access to USA? You are so hypocritical! :lol:

Sr.vienes - 2-2-2018 at 08:49 AM

Yes indeed Baja Guy, that your from the country of USA which is located in North America was pointed out to me by a really grumpy immigration official. I have answered I’m from the USA every since.

David K - 2-2-2018 at 09:34 AM

Goat, at the risk of being pulled into another of your black holes that screen out facts in favor of sound bites, I was talking about going into Mexico and that American tourism (and Canadian) is HUGE source of income for millions of Mexican citizens... and especially so in Baja California which to the rest of Mexico is more of a far-off island territory that has been so greatly ignored by D.F. (the capital). The less government regulation restricting lawful travelers to come to Mexico and spend money with the people, the better for the people of Baja.

I welcome you to create a thread about Mexican tourism going north. Maybe even post it on a Spanish, Alta California travel forum (is there one?)?

David K - 2-2-2018 at 09:37 AM

Mexicans and Canadians are "Americans" along with people from Central "America" and South "America"..............

They are people who live in North America, however citizens of the nation of the United States of America are called "Americans" not "United State-ians"

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2018 at 09:51 AM

They are people who live in North America, however citizens of the nation of the United States of America are called "Americans" not "United State-ians"

Dk, “American” is just one slang or informal term for usa citizens. Some other slang are norteamericano, Yankee, gringo, imperialist, SFA, pindo, hot dog eater,...

TMW - 2-2-2018 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Are you aware of any other countries which allow foreign nationals to enter their country, even for a few days, without visas or other documentation?

Yes, Europe. Once you are in one country of the European Union you can drive across any of the other countries borders without being checked. Like driving in the U.S. state to state.

TMW - 2-2-2018 at 10:02 AM

If you go anywhere in the world and ask what country are Americans from the answer will be 100% the United States. Canadians, Mexicans and United States citizens are from North America, not America.

sancho - 2-2-2018 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

On the flip side, usa should allow ALL Mexicans to enter USA on free 7-day tourist cards, no restrictions. Fair is fair.
Dk, Why do some of you gringos want free access to Mexico, but want to restrict mexican’s access to USA?

Goat you're on to something, plus we can save $25 billion
$$$ on the wall

TMW - 2-2-2018 at 06:19 PM

Who said anything about free access to Mexico but not the U.S. Myself and many others follow the rules and laws of Mexico. I carry an annual insurance policy on both my trucks and I get an FMM permit as necessary when I cross the border. I renew my passport when due. I do not cross into Mexico illegally. I cross at the designated entry locations.

surabi - 2-2-2018 at 09:26 PM

So because Americans can drive into Mexico and Canada, you think those sovereign countries should just give Americans a free pass?

gringorio - 2-2-2018 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Who said anything about free access to Mexico but not the U.S. Myself and many others follow the rules and laws of Mexico. I carry an annual insurance policy on both my trucks and I get an FMM permit as necessary when I cross the border. I renew my passport when due. I do not cross into Mexico illegally. I cross at the designated entry locations.

Me to, I just wanted clarification on the tourist permit rule for San Felipe. :lol:

David K - 2-3-2018 at 12:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

So because Americans can drive into Mexico and Canada, you think those sovereign countries should just give Americans a free pass?

Driving into Mexico is different than arriving by ship or airplane. I didn't think I had to explain that. As mentioned we are legal, insured, and love Mexico. If every vehicle entering Mexico was stopped and all Canadians and Americans had to park and walk into INM, traffic would be backed up to San Clemente. They don't enforce the rule to prevent chaos. Nobody would drive into Mexico if it took 5 hours to cross the border. It sometimes takes that long to get back across to the U.S. and that cuts Mexico travel already.

daveB - 2-3-2018 at 12:45 PM

In past years walking into Los Algodones meant just that. you just walked in. To the untrained eye, the border line wasn't there. Walking in, though, you knew that to get out, you needed to show a passport and that someone would be checking what you were carrying back with you. The line-ups often lasted two hours for your retreat. One time we took the bicycle-driven trip out. Even the Mexican, who was just turning around after we disenbarked, had to show a passport. The last time we were there, no bicycles to expedite the exit. Theyhad been discontinued for some reason.

We stood in line, as usual, but this was a sign that some things were changing, political will somewhere, had pushed some buttons. When that happens, there can be changes elsewhere, as well (on the other side). The usual answer is what is happening in DC, not DF., nor Ottawa. With border checks gone in European countries, they increased in the west.

As Canadians, stopped many miles from the Mexican border, traveling in a Canadian - plated vehicle, we were always admonished for not having passports to show, then and there. At that point we later learned, it was up to the border people (so far from a border!) to maybe stop and search us, up to and including a strip search. They came down from Palm Springs to give us that information, while we were staying at Fountain Of Youth RV Resort, above the Salton Sea. With 70 % Canadians in attendance, they needed to get the message out. For the silver haired with their hearing aids tuned in, they got there message across, to a bout of direct questions. And we thought Canadians were so polite.