BajaNomad

Off road gps?

larryC - 1-24-2019 at 04:31 PM

I'm looking for a good off road gps that will work for here in baja, and mostly baja norte. Something reasonably priced and easy to use. Has to be satellite based no cell coverage around here. Otherwise I would use my phone and Google maps.

advrider - 1-24-2019 at 04:37 PM

Your phone will work with no cell service, I use mine all of the time. Search this site or ADVRIDER for ton's of info. All you need is one of the free app's.. Phones are way better then GPS'S these days, even a deadicated phone will be cheaper..

DouglasP - 1-24-2019 at 04:55 PM

JZ to the white courtesy phone, please! :D

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Your phone will work with no cell service, I use mine all of the time.

Amazing but true. I went for my walk the other day and shut down the cell reception, mapped my path just like a GPS. Who knew?

I did download the OsmAndMaps app for Mexico, California, and Wyoming (next summer!).

You might try the OsmAnd app, it was easy, even for me, a 21st Century Luddite.

John

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by John Harper]

JZ - 1-24-2019 at 05:56 PM

If you have an Android phone, Back Country Navigator is the best. It's really bad ass.

Gaia is really good as well and works on iPhone and Android.

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Gaia is really good as well and works on iPhone and Android.

Is that better than the Osman app? I'm kinda just getting started on this too.

John

JZ - 1-24-2019 at 06:02 PM

Btw, you can cache Google Maps for offline use as well. Very easy to do. Good for basic roads and stuff.

The GPS apps are better for offroading, hiking, etc.

Navionics the best app for boating. The maps of the SoC are excellent.

Standalone GPS's have gone the way of the dinosaur.

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 1-24-2019 at 06:11 PM

With Gaia, you preload whatever background maps you want -- in this case, a satellite view. It's easy to overlay waypoints, tracks, etc. on top of the map which takes a lot of the guesswork out of back-country navigation.

StuckSucks - 1-24-2019 at 06:22 PM

The other cool thing Gaia can do is track you with full stats. Again, the track is very easy to overlay on Google Maps, etc.

If you were to fly from LAX to AUS, your speed and elevation profiles might look like this:

advrider - 1-24-2019 at 06:30 PM

If I remember correct with OSM you have to down load the US map and then others (Baja) after that. I use an extra phone for all of my ridding in Baja, way better than Garmin... Just start trying stuff and down loading tracks to see how it works. We have some tracks on here that you can use.

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 06:43 PM

If I remember correct with OSM you have to down load the US map and then others (Baja) after that.

Yes, I think I got one US state (California) first, then I could get Mexico and Wyoming. I believe I still have 2 free state (foreign?) maps left. I'm still a paper map guy so it's a tough transition at times.

I've barely crawled from a cave it seems. That Gaia stuff looks incredible.

John

pacsur - 1-24-2019 at 07:01 PM

I just started riding again a couple of months ago, riding solo I got lost too many times in the mountains at the beginning, I tried using a couple old garmin gps units at the start, then motion x, I have ended up using Gaia, I bought an iPhone 5s for $70 on eBay and also have it loaded on all other phones and iPad. It’s really nice to sit and use the iPad to look at maps and plot routes, all devices auto update when opened up, I’m still using the $20 version, I’m pretty happy with it, it seems the upgrade offers some more map download options and map layering.
Does anybody have recommendations for handlebar mounts for phones?

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by pacsur]

John Harper - 1-24-2019 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
I just started riding again a couple of months ago, riding solo I got lost too many times in the mountains at the beginning, I tried using a couple old garmin gps units at the start, then motion x, I have ended up using Gaia, I bought an iPhone 5s for $70 on eBay and also have it loaded on all other phones and iPad. It’s really nice to sit and use the iPad to look at maps and plot routes, all devices auto update when opened up, I’m still using the $20 version, I’m pretty happy with it, it seems the upgrade offers some more map download options and map layering.

I have a buddy that does the same, I'll have to tell him about Gaia. He'll have a chance to use it and then I can learn from him. Thanks.

John

advrider - 1-24-2019 at 07:36 PM

Not cheap, but the best mount I have found is the perfect squeeze! 1800 miles in Baja last year and never came loose... I still love paper maps just because I'm visual and like a back up..

pacsur - 1-24-2019 at 08:24 PM

Not cheap, but the best mount I have found is the perfect squeeze! 1800 miles in Baja last year and never came loose... I still love paper maps just because I'm visual and like a back up..

That looks nice but cost more than my phone...but seeing they sell a small tablet mount is good news, the 5s I’m using is small but works, Ive been thinking about an iPad mini with gsm but couldn’t find a mount, looks like a used iPad and the mount together for $250-$300, still cheaper than a good stand alone gps I think.

JZ - 1-24-2019 at 09:58 PM

You can get great cell phone mounts on Amazon for under $15. The most important thing is for it to have a "web" that goes on the corners of your phone. With that, your phone isn't coming off no matter how rough it gets.

I run my S9 plus with case using this one. It has 4.5 stars with 5K reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/?m=A13ERCCN9HCJ61

DouglasP - 1-25-2019 at 06:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
With Gaia, you preload whatever background maps you want -- in this case, a satellite view. It's easy to overlay waypoints, tracks, etc. on top of the map which takes a lot of the guesswork out of back-country navigation.

Can you give me a quick tutorial on loading satellite maps, please? Also, will it work with Bing or just Google?
I use both Gaia and Back country navigator extensively. I would like to learn this option.

[Edited on 1-25-2019 by DouglasP]

PaulW - 1-25-2019 at 08:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I'm looking for a good off road gps that will work for here in baja, and mostly baja norte. Something reasonably priced and easy to use. Has to be satellite based no cell coverage around here. Otherwise I would use my phone and Google maps.

== ==
Bike or car?
I am a car guy and I want a big screen. These days that means a tablet. Small screen phones don't cut it for me. My antique Lowrance is a 7" and my tablet is an 8" Android. And mounts cost more for a big tablet. I use Ram mount.
JZ uses Android, but Apple pads also work. Then choose the app of your choice. Probably follow the lead of JZ unless you have a close friend with other APP or platform. All the APPs I have played with all allow loading/saving/sharing tracks. Maps vary so at least load them and look at the maps at various zoom levels and see what you think. All are useful offline.
As us usual the learning curve is huge. So just try a couple.
If you have a locator/tracker for emergencies then use the Inreach map. Its map called Earthmate is not great.

larryC - 1-25-2019 at 08:20 AM

Wow I'm glad I asked this question, I was getting ready to either spend a bunch of money on a new off road gps or put more money into an old Garmin gps 72 that I still have. I have an iphone 6 so I'll look into some mounts and the Gala app. Thanks again for all the input.

John Harper - 1-25-2019 at 09:04 AM

Wow, just downloaded the Gaia GPS app, looks killer! Got all the contour lines and trails for free. Looks better than OSM already.

John

DouglasP - 1-25-2019 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Wow, just downloaded the Gaia GPS app, looks killer! Got all the contour lines and trails for free. Looks better than OSM already.

John

Much easier to work with also, IMHO!

John Harper - 1-25-2019 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  

John

Much easier to work with also, IMHO!

Definitely seems that way, very impressive.

John

JZ - 1-25-2019 at 10:42 AM

Pro tip from a mistake I made. Don't use MotionX. That app is just awful in regards to what it takes to get tracks from Google Earth to it. It can't read kmz files natively and needs to got through 2-3 steps to get them imported.

BCN is my favorite, but Android only. They are working on BCN XE which is iPhone & Android. It's in Beta now, but missing some important features.

So, if iPhone, go with Gaia. (Although Samsung >>> Apple for phones).

StuckSucks - 1-25-2019 at 11:01 AM

Can you give me a quick tutorial on loading satellite maps, please? Also, will it work with Bing or just Google?
I use both Gaia and Back country navigator extensively. I would like to learn this option.

You don't import Google or Bing maps -- a good selection of maps is available from within Gaia.

To add/change/delete maps, start by clicking on the icon in the upper-right:

On the resulting page, you can see the maps you have selected at the top (Visible), complete with sliders to adjust opacity. At the bottom part of the page (Layers) are a selection of maps which you might want to display. Once you have moved maps to the top, you can download portions of those maps for use off-line.

DouglasP - 1-25-2019 at 11:10 AM

You don't import Google or Bing maps -- a good selection of maps is available from within Gaia.

To add/change/delete maps, start by clicking on the icon in the upper-right:

On the resulting page, you can see the maps you have selected at the top (Visible), complete with sliders to adjust opacity. At the bottom part of the page (Layers) are a selection of maps which you might want to display. Once you have moved maps to the top, you can download portions of those maps for use off-line.

Thanks! I've used those. Guess I misread your earlier post. I somehow was thinking there was a way to pull a Google sat map in.

larryC - 1-25-2019 at 12:25 PM

I'm looking at the Gaia on the app store and is the $20 version the one I want for just doing some off road and cross country exploring down here in Baja? There are several apps and it is a little confusing. There is also an app for hiking, hunting, also a map bundle so not sure what I need.

John Harper - 1-25-2019 at 01:59 PM

I assume I need be a Premium member to get the "Satellite with Labels" and the "USGS Topo" add on maps?

I see Gaia Topo on the top bar, in gray. I assume that is my default "free" map? Then just scroll to which one I want to use if I buy them? That simple?

This Gaia is a lot easier to figure out than OSM, so far. Thank you all for this suggestion as an app, looks like it will work great for me.

LarryC - Just download the free one (you can upgrade later) and check it out. It shows topo features in Baja, I checked out the road to Mike's and it was quite accurate and detailed. Mike's was not identified (maybe if I waited for better resolution?) on the map, but it was easy to discern where it was, surprisingly accurate IMO. Gonna play with it this weekend, I've already looked at some familiar Sierra spots.

John

Pacifico - 1-25-2019 at 03:10 PM

Pro tip from a mistake I made. Don't use MotionX. That app is just awful in regards to what it takes to get tracks from Google Earth to it. It can't read kmz files natively and needs to got through 2-3 steps to get them imported.

BCN is my favorite, but Android only. They are working on BCN XE which is iPhone & Android. It's in Beta now, but missing some important features.

So, if iPhone, go with Gaia. (Although Samsung >>> Apple for phones).

JZ,

Am I understanding this correctly...with Back Country Navigator you can import tracks from Google Earth and it looks like on Gaia you can not?

Thanks for your help on this...Cool topic and great info!

On a side note, I recently bought a Lowrance Carbon GPS for my off-road truck and it sucks compared to my older Lowrance. I'm used to Lowrance because that is what I have in my boat with the Navionics map. I had the Murdock Nav Baja map and it was awesome and showed dang near every dirt road and trail. It won't work in my new Gen 3 Lowrance, so I had to buy the Baja map from PCI and it sucks compared to my old maps...Wish I knew about this sooner!

StuckSucks - 1-25-2019 at 03:44 PM

It's very easy to build maps and import them into Gaia as .kml or .gpx files - I do it all the time for our race team, adding chase roads from the highway to the race course (makes it easy if you have never been on that road before, or if it's dark). This is an example of the '18 Baja 1000 course near Ojos Negros overlaid on Gaia:

Pacifico - 1-25-2019 at 03:55 PM

It's very easy to build maps and import them into Gaia as .kml or .gpx files - I do it all the time for our race team, adding chase roads from the highway to the race course (makes it easy if you have never been on that road before, or if it's dark). This is an example of the '18 Baja 1000 course near Ojos Negros overlaid on Gaia:

So you build it on Google Earth and then convert it?

It looks like I have to subscribe to Gaia...Do you recommend the regular membership or premium?

StuckSucks - 1-25-2019 at 04:06 PM

Yes, build stuff on Google Maps. I've never used Google Earth to build stuff, but I'd imagine it's the same?

I will import the finished file into both Gaia and my truck's Lowrance GPS -- I think each have advantages/disadvantages, and I like the redundancy.

Bajazly - 1-25-2019 at 04:18 PM

Gotta say Gaia is the stuff. Downloaded it the night before my last Baja trip, messed around with it for a couple hours, imported a GE, KML, file I have I call Baja Points Of Interest and wow! trails waypoints all with clickable names and descriptions I had put in in GE. I ended up giving them the $39 for the year(discounted to $35), seemed like it was worth it because you got to do a few extra things which made a difference.

I am using it in the field on an Ipad mini with an external bluetooth antenna for the GPS and I don't think it ever missed a beat. Think it's time to unwire the Lowrance and free up some dash space.

Pacifico, you can do all the work on GE but the Gaia site seems easier to build routes and add waypoints. GE probably has a better imagery but the amount of roads I see in Baja on Gaia is pretty impressive. In Gaia you can also see public trails posted by other people and simply click them to save them to your library of trail.

Pacifico - 1-25-2019 at 04:51 PM

Awesome! Thanks guys!

advrider - 1-25-2019 at 07:24 PM

Thanks, now you have me looking at Gaia! I'm already using OSMAND and had Gaia on my phone but never got very far with it.... How do you get it to show your location? Can you import tracks from your email (that how I do it in OSMAND) ?

JZ - 1-25-2019 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

So you build it on Google Earth and then convert it?

It looks like I have to subscribe to Gaia...Do you recommend the regular membership or premium?

You can build from GE or Google Maps. They import directly on Gaia and BCN.

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by JZ]

advrider - 1-25-2019 at 07:59 PM

OK, I've got a little more figured out. I assume you guys(stuck) and others are running the paid version because of the detail you have? I still haven't figured out importing tracks?

JZ - 1-25-2019 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
]In Gaia you can also see public trails posted by other people and simply click them to save them to your library of trail.

I haven't checked this out yet. Will give it a look.

John Harper - 1-26-2019 at 06:12 AM

Do I need to download the premium maps for them to work offline? The Gaia tutorials are very confusing, at least the text instructions. Does the free Gaia map work offline? It seemed to be working when I put phone on airplane mode and shut off WiFi.

I'm a bit confused about what to do to use the map offline, without any connection to internet.

John

BajaMama - 1-26-2019 at 08:42 AM

Avenza Maps in another app that works well. Just purchase the map of the area you want.

JZ - 1-26-2019 at 08:42 AM

Do I need to download the premium maps for them to work offline? The Gaia tutorials are very confusing, at least the text instructions. Does the free Gaia map work offline? It seemed to be working when I put phone on airplane mode and shut off WiFi.

I'm a bit confused about what to do to use the map offline, without any connection to internet.

John

With all these type of apps you need to download the map section you want to use offline.

YouTube in generally better to learn stuff than manuals.

https://youtu.be/xaM39xMqpwU

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by JZ]

caj13 - 1-26-2019 at 09:52 AM

Ok guys, heres a question outside of Baja use.

So i am planning an 8000 mile adventure this summer, california to maine and back: some in a vintage 88 Range Rover Classic POS, other parts off road on dirt bikes. Michigan (through Canada) to Maine will be part of the 24 hours of Lemons 4 Bangor rally. and along the route i have to video a belly flop in every state or province I drive through for a charity event BTW.
My navigation plan is to put the map stuff on a tablet and my Kyocera android phone. We will be needing to chose roads trails and routes based on the Rally directions, or the trail heads and the proper trails for the bikes.

so in your opinions - should i be looking at GAIA as my go to nav software, or ?

thasnks

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by caj13]

advrider - 1-26-2019 at 10:24 AM

I'm trying Gaia now but have been using OSMAND. The biggest thing is finding one and getting to know it first. I run an old Garmin with E32 maps and my phone because they each offer a different view. Trying to see what Gaia has to offer but so far I'm liking OSM better..

Bajazly - 1-26-2019 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Ok guys, heres a question outside of Baja use.

So i am planning an 8000 mile adventure this summer, california to maine and back: some in a vintage 88 Range Rover Classic POS, other parts off road on dirt bikes. Michigan (through Canada) to Maine will be part of the 24 hours of Lemons 4 Bangor rally. and along the route i have to video a belly flop in every state or province I drive through for a charity event BTW.
My navigation plan is to put the map stuff on a tablet and my Kyocera android phone. We will be needing to chose roads trails and routes based on the Rally directions, or the trail heads and the proper trails for the bikes.

so in your opinions - should i be looking at GAIA as my go to nav software, or ?

thasnks

[Edited on 1-26-2019 by caj13]

One of the cool things about Gaia is you log in to your account online, be it free or paid, and you make your route there on the big screen. Their map is pretty good and you get a bunch of overlays to use as well. If you give them money you get more but just the basics they have are pretty good.

Once you make the route, and that is super easy with the make route tool, you save it to your library and all your other devices are automatically updated. Online on their site is where you find all the public trails you can save to your library too so as you're making your route you could see if there other options in the area.

fishbuck - 3-21-2019 at 12:58 PM

LarryC. Are you there?

StuckSucks - 3-21-2019 at 01:23 PM

Speaking of which, I just purchased a Lowrance LDS-7 Live -- holes get drilled in my 2019 Tacoma for installation on Wednesday.

JZ - 3-21-2019 at 01:25 PM

Speaking of which, I just purchased a Lowrance LDS-7 Live -- holes get drilled in my 2019 Tacoma for installation on Wednesday.

What?? Put an iPad or Galaxy Tab up there. Get a nice, big high res screen.

fishbuck - 3-21-2019 at 01:41 PM

IPAD is what we all fly with now. FOREFLIGHT works everywhere.
I can even super-impose ship traffic on it.
Nerds can fly to Mars and back in a Tesla with an IPAD.

StuckSucks - 3-21-2019 at 06:12 PM

But isn't a GPS what you add to a high-school truck?

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2019 at 08:09 PM

But isn't a GPS what you add to a high-school truck?

I have observed that teens, and adults that never matured past teenage years, are enamored with shiny gadgets. Some of today’s kids, and adults with arrested development, are addicted to screens.

My last trip to baja I drove 1200 miles without a map or GPS.
Real men know how to do it without flocking directions :lol::P