BajaNomad

USA resident moving to Mexixo

geraldalexander7 - 4-24-2019 at 05:47 PM

Can a USA resident(non-citizen- no passport) get a tourist visa to enter Mexico for 180 days?

fishbuck - 4-24-2019 at 06:05 PM

If... and I say IF this is real question then the answer is no. You must have a valid passport.

But if this is a fake question then yes please try it...

David K - 4-24-2019 at 06:18 PM

If you are "moving" to Mexico, then you are not a "tourist" so go to the Mexican consulate to get the correct info and forms.

willardguy - 4-24-2019 at 06:25 PM

does this non citizen have a green card?

BajaBlanca - 4-24-2019 at 06:48 PM

Take your passport from whatever country you are from. Then you can get the 180 day visa and travel legally for as long as 180 days. Then return to the border and get another visa as you re-enter.

fishbuck - 4-24-2019 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If you are "moving" to Mexico, then you are not a "tourist" so go to the Mexican consulate to get the correct info and forms.

And good luck with that too.
I have the FM3 I think it was and then they changed it and it wasn't valid anymore. That happened when I was trying (in linbo) to renew it in Ensenada and they kept my money...
But I will need to try again. Just keep tryin'... ya know...
I will use a tourist permit until then.
Better than not having something. And probably still legal.

What say the legal experts?

JoeJustJoe - 4-24-2019 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Take your passport from whatever country you are from. Then you can get the 180 day visa and travel legally for as long as 180 days. Then return to the border and get another visa as you re-enter.

BajaBlanca, I'm not sure if what you're advocating is in the spirit of Mexican immigration laws, but I understand some US Citizens in Mexico, do this all the time.

I guess one could also advise the OP to drive into Mexico, and live in Mexico/Baja, as an illegal alien, because that's often done too, especially in Rosarito.

But to answer his question, you need a passport to get the tourist visa or FMM.

JZ - 4-24-2019 at 07:55 PM

Search the board, there was just a posting offering fake passports. Give that a go.

Alm - 4-24-2019 at 08:53 PM

By his previous posts, I'm not sure the OP is asking for himself.

180 days FMM or tourist visa is not a "moving". What is the plan - to enter Mexico with FMM or visa and stay there indefinitely?
What is his status - green card?
Does he have a valid passport of any country?

Buying a fake US passport or driving across without any documents is not a good idea unless you really have to. If sh-t hits the fan, he will be stopped and deported back to the US (possibly after several hours/days in Mex jail). US border agents just "love" talking to non-US nationals thrown out of Mexico or refused entry. I guarantee a few hours of a hostile questioning and search of both the person and his vehicle, don't ask me how I know. Keep your fingers crossed that this won't affect your status in the US. If you don't have any status (expired work/student etc visa), you will just go to jail and then deported back to your country.

[Edited on 4-25-2019 by Alm]

Hook - 4-24-2019 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

It's not as simple as that. Some countries don't have as cozy a relationship with Mexico as the US, Canada and a slew of other countries. You actually have to apply for a visa in advance and have it approved by the Mexican government. Otherwise, you are entering Mexico illegally.

mtgoat666 - 4-24-2019 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Because JJJoe is getting it wrong and trying to confuse the truth, let's clear this up:

FMM is not a Visa. FMM is a Mexican visitors permit, which is different from a Visa.

To most people “visa” is a permission to be in a foreign country. The fmm is a visa.
Visas are visas, despite countries or languages using different words.
Tourist card, endorsement, papers, green card, fmm — all words for visa

PaulW - 4-25-2019 at 07:41 AM

Quick answer is NO. A passport is required. Pretty unusual that you do not have a passport from some country.
However if you do not have any belongings except what is out of sight inside the car, just drive thru the no declare line and head south. It is unlikely you will be stopped. Illegal so be careful while in Mexico.

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
Can a USA resident(non-citizen- no passport) get a tourist visa to enter Mexico for 180 days?

JoeJustJoe - 4-25-2019 at 07:54 AM

Thanks Goat, for your support above, where Gnukid, tries to discredit me yet again, but quickly erases his post.

I don't get caught up in the definitions of what an FMM form is, and in fact a while back, I made a post saying the FMM, is not a visa, but rather just a tourist card, but then saying it's popular to call it a tourist visa, or whatever.

Then, I had JZ, jump in the thread with a dictionary, and say the FMM, functions as a Visa, so therefore, it is a Visa.

Again, whatever, as long as you understand the FMM function, is to allow citizens from select countries like to US, to come to Mexico, as tourists up to six months, and you need a passport to get the FMM.

From another BN thread:

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
.... fill out a FMM, which is not actually a visa, but rather it's a tourist card, although it's popular to call it a tourist visa. ( whatever)

An FMM functions as a Visa. Just because it's not a sticker in your passport like several other countries doesn't change this fact. Australia doesn't have a sticker either. It's referred to as an eVisa.

The FMM grants non-residents temporary access to MX. That's the definition of a visa, period.

geraldalexander7 - 4-25-2019 at 07:58 AM

Thank you ALM....I am asking in for a friend, she wants to travel to Mexico for a few months at a time.
Yes I live in La paz half the year and California other half.
No its not a fake question, I would not want to waste my time or others on the board. I have found what I needed to know
Thanks.

Hook - 4-25-2019 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Because JJJoe is getting it wrong and trying to confuse the truth, let's clear this up:

FMM is not a Visa. FMM is a Mexican visitors permit, which is different from a Visa.

To most people “visa” is a permission to be in a foreign country. The fmm is a visa.
Visas are visas, despite countries or languages using different words.
Tourist card, endorsement, papers, green card, fmm — all words for visa

Well, you and JJJ are wrong. The term "visa" is a specific type of permission to enter Mexico, now. Has been for some time. Try and keep up.

But, hey, for people who rarely, if ever, come to Mexico, it's a common mistake, I guess.

Just because some people incorrectly/lazily use the term "visa" to denote all the other forms of permission to enter Mexco, doesn't make it correct.

There is this website called Wikipedia that might be helpful. Maybe you've heard of it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Mexico

Alm - 4-25-2019 at 11:49 AM

Gerald, your foreign friend needs to go to Mex consulate in the USA with her passport. As long as she has any valid status - even if she is a visitor in the US - she can apply for Mexican tourist visa. They have no reasons to refuse, unless she is from some poor or terrorist country or doesn't look like a tourist with money.

If she is eligible for the same simplified processing at the border as the US citizens - FMM card - the consulate will tell her.

sancho - 4-25-2019 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Try and keep up.

That's funny, I think. So much for nit picking. Mex Immigration,
as well as other sources of accuracy, will use the word Visa
when describing the permission they give visitors to stay in Mex
for a specific time, arguing that is an unusual waste of time.
Back in the day, before fmm's, was the predecessor fmt, which
you could get with a birth. cert, can't imagine any Imm officer
giving out an fmm without a Passport/Passport card. I think
it is $40 for the Passport card, if applying for the 1st time

Alm - 4-25-2019 at 12:10 PM

Mexico have actual tourist "visa" as well. Issued at the consulate. Nationals of many countries don't require tourist visa to Mexico and are issued FMM instead, but some do.

JZ - 4-25-2019 at 12:15 PM

For all intent and purposes, an FMM is a Visa.

Just because it's not a page in your passport doesn't change that.

JoeJustJoe - 4-25-2019 at 01:04 PM

Just because it's not a page in your passport doesn't change that.

JZ take on Gnukid and Hook, that say the FMM is not a Visa, because I refuse to take out a dictionary and get into the debate.(,I think those two would do anything to prove me wrong on anything)

It's actually funny because at first I was in agreement that a FMM was not a Visa, but you JZ got me to see your point to, because the FMM fuctions like a FMM.

At the end of the most of trips to Mexico are without a FMM, especially the brief day trips.

caj13 - 4-25-2019 at 01:30 PM

hate to throw a monkey wrench into all of the pontificating parrots here, but I believe you as a USA citizen with a valid ENHANCED Drivers licence, can use that DL to enter mexico - no passport needed.

Assuming of course your state issues enhanced licences, and you qualify and are approved.

Thats all theoretical of course, I know of one case where the mexican border guard would not accept it to issue the FMM. while the same guy, with the same licence, entered no problem at another time with another border guard on duty.

and in this specific case, i do not believe a permanent resident (non USA citizen) qualifies for an enhanced licence, but I may be wrong on that.

[Edited on 4-25-2019 by caj13]

gnukid - 4-25-2019 at 05:12 PM

Obviously, if anyone wants to go to Mexico they can, call or visit INM, they know their status which vary radically and any legal person is accommodated. Many people have no passport but are legal to enter, while a passport is normally required. You know your status and the options for expedited entry.

On the other, hand there is JJJ whose only goal is to confuse the facts and harm travelers and scare people. It's called Poisoning the Well by Logical Fallacy. Sad.

gnukid - 4-25-2019 at 05:14 PM

A USA permanent resident multiple entry card holder is sufficient for FMM to enter Mexico obviously

JoeJustJoe - 4-25-2019 at 06:04 PM

Obviously, if anyone wants to go to Mexico they can, call or visit INM, they know their status which vary radically and any legal person is accommodated. Many people have no passport but are legal to enter, while a passport is normally required. You know your status and the options for expedited entry.

On the other, hand there is JJJ whose only goal is to confuse the facts and harm travelers and scare people. It's called Poisoning the Well by Logical Fallacy. Sad.

Now who is confusing the issue?

So acccording to Gnukid, you can enter Mexico without a passport, if you call or visit the INM.

Who knew or is Gnukid blowing smoke?

What's a legal person? Does that mean there is such things as an illegal person?

I always thought everybody has basic human rights regardless of paperwork they may or may not have.

The only thnk I know for sure, is that you drive your car into Mexico, without the Mexican authorities checking. It happens all the time because many people do not have a passport for a variety of reasons.

You can also return to the US with only a drivers license and birth certificate, and US customs will let you in no problems, although for many years now you're supposed to have a passport, but in practice they let you back in.

fishbuck - 4-25-2019 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
hate to throw a monkey wrench into all of the pontificating parrots here, but I believe you as a USA citizen with a valid ENHANCED Drivers licence, can use that DL to enter mexico - no passport needed.

Assuming of course your state issues enhanced licences, and you qualify and are approved.

Thats all theoretical of course, I know of one case where the mexican border guard would not accept it to issue the FMM. while the same guy, with the same licence, entered no problem at another time with another border guard on duty.

and in this specific case, i do not believe a permanent resident (non USA citizen) qualifies for an enhanced licence, but I may be wrong on that.

I was hoping this would come up.
I have a US passport. But my friend does not. But has an enhanced California license.
Will the enhanced license be acceptable when entering into Mex. for getting a tourist visa?

gnukid - 4-26-2019 at 06:18 AM

If you are a citizen of the USA you must have a passport to get an FMM to enter Mexico, unless you are also a resident or citizen of Mexico. Many people in the USA do not have a passport because they are permanent residents card holders, who for a variety of reasons are not citizens, those permanent resident multiple entry card holders use that id to enter Mexico and travel. They may also have other types of travel documents that may mean they don't need an FMM, for example residency or citizenship in Mexico, or another country that has a visa waiver with Mexico.

[Edited on 4-26-2019 by gnukid]

JoeJustJoe - 4-26-2019 at 07:50 AM

If you are a citizen of the USA you must have a passport to get an FMM to enter Mexico, unless you are also a resident or citizen of Mexico. Many people in the USA do not have a passport because they are permanent residents card holders, who for a variety of reasons are not citizens, those permanent resident multiple entry card holders use that id to enter Mexico and travel. They may also have other types of travel documents that may mean they don't need an FMM, for example residency or citizenship in Mexico, or another country that has a visa waiver with Mexico.

[Edited on 4-26-2019 by gnukid]

Permanent resident holders? What's the matter Gnukid, you can't say green card holders, who are probably mostly Mexican citizens if they are going to Mexico.

I still think you're blowing smoke with your previous posts, because an American basically can't visit Mexico, if they don't have a passport, which they need to get a FMM.

However, if they just drive in Mexico, nobody is going to stop them, and they could get back to the US with only their regular drivers license.

Here are the reasons why many Americans do not have a passport, and if you're talking about a family, sometimes low family income is a barrier to passports for the family.
"Probation or Felony issues may also cause a passport application to be denied. If you are on probation, owe more than $1500 in child support payments, are wanted on an arrest warrant, are currently summoned to appear in court, are currently in jail, or have serious felony issues, your passport may be denied."

gnukid - 4-26-2019 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I have a US passport. But my friend does not. But has an enhanced California license.
Will the enhanced license be acceptable when entering into Mex. for getting a tourist visa?

A USA Citizen with Enhanced DL can use that to cross in/out of USA borders. It is considered equivalent to the USA passport card and it is acceptable to use to enter Mexico by land or sea, when the port of entry has the equipment to read the card and has an agreement to do so. So yes it should work to drive into Baja and get a FMM.

mtgoat666 - 4-26-2019 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Enhanced DL only works for land crossing, and only if the border has equipment to read it. Who the flock knows if they got equipment and whether it works? :?: Get a passport.

Fishy, i thought you travel to and from Mexico in your fancy airplane? :lol: For that you need a passport to enter Mexico :light:

defrag4 - 4-26-2019 at 08:50 AM

I have heard about the REAL ID issue recently, but the "Enhanced Drivers license" is new to me and a seperate thing.

Does look like a real thing though, only available in a few states currently - Michigan, New York, Vermont, Minnesotaa, and Washington

They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

Part of the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative"

Enhanced drivers licenses makes it easier for US citizens to enter or cross the border into the United States because of the following characteristics of the EDL:

a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth, and

a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

now whether the homie at the border giving you an FMM actually knows about this extremely rare thing will be another story altogether, I would get a passport or passport card

Blended family passport problem?

AKgringo - 4-26-2019 at 09:19 AM

Since the OP said he got his answer quite a few posts back, I will continue with a reply to a question he didn't ask!

Forty years ago, I married a woman who had a four, and a five year old son. When she got her passport years later, the marriage license was sufficient documentation for the name change from her birth certificate, but our adult children have to initiate new court proceedings to get a passport in the name they have been using almost all their lives! That includes social security, school, DL, and every other ID they have ever had.

Alm - 4-26-2019 at 12:16 PM

FMM works as a visa for those who are citizens of countries on the Mexican visa-waiver list. But it is not a visa.

Visas are issued at the consulate.
FMM is issued at the border.
Different documents, different eligibility, different screening process.

[Edited on 4-26-2019 by Alm]

caj13 - 4-26-2019 at 12:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
I have heard about the REAL ID issue recently, but the "Enhanced Drivers license" is new to me and a seperate thing.

Does look like a real thing though, only available in a few states currently - Michigan, New York, Vermont, Minnesotaa, and Washington

They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

Part of the "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative"

Enhanced drivers licenses makes it easier for US citizens to enter or cross the border into the United States because of the following characteristics of the EDL:

a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth, and

a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

now whether the homie at the border giving you an FMM actually knows about this extremely rare thing will be another story altogether, I would get a passport or passport card

California also has enhanced licences now.
also goat, they work Land or sea entry - not air.

[Edited on 4-26-2019 by caj13]

David K - 4-26-2019 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

FMM works as a visa for those who are citizens of countries on the Mexican visa-waiver list. But it is not a visa.

Visas are issued at the consulate.
FMM is issued at the border.
Different documents, different eligibility, different screening process.

[Edited on 4-26-2019 by Alm]

Bingo!

fishbuck - 4-26-2019 at 01:53 PM

So does anyone know if an Enhance California Driver's License with special law enforcement family security seal will be accepted at San Ysidro at that specific Mexico Border Office in that kinda big white build with all them windows and doors and stuff for the issuance of the visitor document that allows people on the good boy and girl country list, the country being the good ole USofA.
Can my friend use this form of ID to get the FMM that is "like" a visa.

Please answer that question for me if you know the real answer.
Otherwise I will tell you next Thursday or Friday when we try it.

Incidentily, we may have the reciept for the Passport from the Passport office also which I believe works as a temporary passport.

JoeJustJoe - 4-27-2019 at 07:40 AM

I know I'm going to regret this but Fishbuck, what's an " Enhance California Driver's License with special law enforcement family security seal?"

Are you talking about some special ID for cops or something?

fishbuck - 4-27-2019 at 10:59 AM

I don't know.
Ist I ever saw one.

John Harper - 4-27-2019 at 01:49 PM

I have not found a thing on the Google machine about this "law enforcement family security seal." Hmm. Just the new Real ID, or the conventional non-Real ID driver licenses.

Since I have a passport card I think I'm going to forego the real ID and just keep my conventional license when I renew in December. If they don't extend my existing license once again. Not even sure you can still opt out of the Real ID or not.

John

[Edited on 4-27-2019 by John Harper]

defrag4 - 4-27-2019 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I have not found a thing on the Google machine about this "law enforcement family security seal." Hmm. Just the new Real ID, or the conventional non-Real ID driver licenses.

Since I have a passport card I think I'm going to forego the real ID and just keep my conventional license when I renew in December. If they don't extend my existing license once again. Not even sure you can still opt out of the Real ID or not.

John

doubt you can opt out, how will big brother track you without your RFID device in your pocket at all times? :cool:

Well I guess he could use your cellphone :smug:

mtgoat666 - 4-27-2019 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Get REAL ID. starting oct 2020, you cant get thru tsa at airport w/o REAL ID.
Enhanced DL is REAL ID.
You will also need REAL ID to enter a fed facility, e.g. military base.
Last month going through SY border my buddy showed his EDL instead of PP, to test his new DL. The usa border booth guard said it was one of the first he had seen, so not too common yet.

[Edited on 4-27-2019 by mtgoat666]