Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: USA resident moving to Mexixo
geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 05:47 PM
USA resident moving to Mexixo

Can a USA resident(non-citizen- no passport) get a tourist visa to enter Mexico for 180 days?

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 06:05 PM

If... and I say IF this is real question then the answer is no. You must have a valid passport.

But if this is a fake question then yes please try it...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 06:18 PM

If you are "moving" to Mexico, then you are not a "tourist" so go to the Mexican consulate to get the correct info and forms.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 06:25 PM

does this non citizen have a green card?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 06:48 PM

Take your passport from whatever country you are from. Then you can get the 180 day visa and travel legally for as long as 180 days. Then return to the border and get another visa as you re-enter.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
If you are "moving" to Mexico, then you are not a "tourist" so go to the Mexican consulate to get the correct info and forms.

And good luck with that too.
I have the FM3 I think it was and then they changed it and it wasn't valid anymore. That happened when I was trying (in linbo) to renew it in Ensenada and they kept my money...
But I will need to try again. Just keep tryin'... ya know...
I will use a tourist permit until then.
Better than not having something. And probably still legal.

What say the legal experts?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Take your passport from whatever country you are from. Then you can get the 180 day visa and travel legally for as long as 180 days. Then return to the border and get another visa as you re-enter.

BajaBlanca, I'm not sure if what you're advocating is in the spirit of Mexican immigration laws, but I understand some US Citizens in Mexico, do this all the time.

I guess one could also advise the OP to drive into Mexico, and live in Mexico/Baja, as an illegal alien, because that's often done too, especially in Rosarito.

But to answer his question, you need a passport to get the tourist visa or FMM.

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 07:55 PM

Search the board, there was just a posting offering fake passports. Give that a go.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 08:53 PM

By his previous posts, I'm not sure the OP is asking for himself.

180 days FMM or tourist visa is not a "moving". What is the plan - to enter Mexico with FMM or visa and stay there indefinitely?
What is his status - green card?
Does he have a valid passport of any country?

Buying a fake US passport or driving across without any documents is not a good idea unless you really have to. If sh-t hits the fan, he will be stopped and deported back to the US (possibly after several hours/days in Mex jail). US border agents just "love" talking to non-US nationals thrown out of Mexico or refused entry. I guarantee a few hours of a hostile questioning and search of both the person and his vehicle, don't ask me how I know. Keep your fingers crossed that this won't affect your status in the US. If you don't have any status (expired work/student etc visa), you will just go to jail and then deported back to your country.

[Edited on 4-25-2019 by Alm]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

It's not as simple as that. Some countries don't have as cozy a relationship with Mexico as the US, Canada and a slew of other countries. You actually have to apply for a visa in advance and have it approved by the Mexican government. Otherwise, you are entering Mexico illegally.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2019 at 10:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Because JJJoe is getting it wrong and trying to confuse the truth, let's clear this up:

FMM is not a Visa. FMM is a Mexican visitors permit, which is different from a Visa.

To most people “visa” is a permission to be in a foreign country. The fmm is a visa.
Visas are visas, despite countries or languages using different words.
Tourist card, endorsement, papers, green card, fmm — all words for visa

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 07:41 AM

Quick answer is NO. A passport is required. Pretty unusual that you do not have a passport from some country.
However if you do not have any belongings except what is out of sight inside the car, just drive thru the no declare line and head south. It is unlikely you will be stopped. Illegal so be careful while in Mexico.

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
Can a USA resident(non-citizen- no passport) get a tourist visa to enter Mexico for 180 days?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 07:54 AM

Thanks Goat, for your support above, where Gnukid, tries to discredit me yet again, but quickly erases his post.

I don't get caught up in the definitions of what an FMM form is, and in fact a while back, I made a post saying the FMM, is not a visa, but rather just a tourist card, but then saying it's popular to call it a tourist visa, or whatever.

Then, I had JZ, jump in the thread with a dictionary, and say the FMM, functions as a Visa, so therefore, it is a Visa.

Again, whatever, as long as you understand the FMM function, is to allow citizens from select countries like to US, to come to Mexico, as tourists up to six months, and you need a passport to get the FMM.

From another BN thread:

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
.... fill out a FMM, which is not actually a visa, but rather it's a tourist card, although it's popular to call it a tourist visa. ( whatever)

An FMM functions as a Visa. Just because it's not a sticker in your passport like several other countries doesn't change this fact. Australia doesn't have a sticker either. It's referred to as an eVisa.

The FMM grants non-residents temporary access to MX. That's the definition of a visa, period.

geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 07:58 AM

Thank you ALM....I am asking in for a friend, she wants to travel to Mexico for a few months at a time.
Yes I live in La paz half the year and California other half.
No its not a fake question, I would not want to waste my time or others on the board. I have found what I needed to know
Thanks.

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Because JJJoe is getting it wrong and trying to confuse the truth, let's clear this up:

FMM is not a Visa. FMM is a Mexican visitors permit, which is different from a Visa.

To most people “visa” is a permission to be in a foreign country. The fmm is a visa.
Visas are visas, despite countries or languages using different words.
Tourist card, endorsement, papers, green card, fmm — all words for visa

Well, you and JJJ are wrong. The term "visa" is a specific type of permission to enter Mexico, now. Has been for some time. Try and keep up.

But, hey, for people who rarely, if ever, come to Mexico, it's a common mistake, I guess.

Just because some people incorrectly/lazily use the term "visa" to denote all the other forms of permission to enter Mexco, doesn't make it correct.

There is this website called Wikipedia that might be helpful. Maybe you've heard of it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Mexico
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 11:49 AM

Gerald, your foreign friend needs to go to Mex consulate in the USA with her passport. As long as she has any valid status - even if she is a visitor in the US - she can apply for Mexican tourist visa. They have no reasons to refuse, unless she is from some poor or terrorist country or doesn't look like a tourist with money.

If she is eligible for the same simplified processing at the border as the US citizens - FMM card - the consulate will tell her.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Try and keep up.

That's funny, I think. So much for nit picking. Mex Immigration,
as well as other sources of accuracy, will use the word Visa
when describing the permission they give visitors to stay in Mex
for a specific time, arguing that is an unusual waste of time.
Back in the day, before fmm's, was the predecessor fmt, which
you could get with a birth. cert, can't imagine any Imm officer
giving out an fmm without a Passport/Passport card. I think
it is $40 for the Passport card, if applying for the 1st time

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 12:10 PM

Mexico have actual tourist "visa" as well. Issued at the consulate. Nationals of many countries don't require tourist visa to Mexico and are issued FMM instead, but some do.

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 12:15 PM

For all intent and purposes, an FMM is a Visa.

Just because it's not a page in your passport doesn't change that.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-25-2019 at 01:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
For all intent and purposes, an FMM is a Visa.

Just because it's not a page in your passport doesn't change that.

JZ take on Gnukid and Hook, that say the FMM is not a Visa, because I refuse to take out a dictionary and get into the debate.(,I think those two would do anything to prove me wrong on anything)

It's actually funny because at first I was in agreement that a FMM was not a Visa, but you JZ got me to see your point to, because the FMM fuctions like a FMM.

At the end of the most of trips to Mexico are without a FMM, especially the brief day trips.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.