BajaNomad

Multa - for running a stop sign - price set by the Municipality ?

mojo_norte - 12-11-2019 at 01:33 PM

Got pulled over in Vizcano. Said I ran a stop sign - not true. Much arguing . Said I could pay 100 USD there or go to the station and pay a ticket. I opted for the ticket . Shady looking judge at station set the ticket price at 2500 pesos (130$). I thought there was a standard price for tickets and they were reasonable?

David K - 12-11-2019 at 02:15 PM

My son ran a stop sign in Tecate recently. The cop tried to scare him, saying it may be as high as US$214. My son insisted on going to the station (good boy) and it was US$17... including the discount!

Here's the post: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93177

RnR - 12-11-2019 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
I thought there was a standard price for tickets and they were reasonable?

Here is a link to the latest version of the Traffic Regulations for the Municipality of La Paz. Dated May 2015

La Paz Traffic Regs

The table of infraccioones and the fines (multas) are in the last few pages. The fines are calculated as multiples of the current "Daily Minimum Wage" so the fine will vary as the minimum wage varies.

Running a Stop Sign -- 10 x daily wage.

(Somebody else needs to look up the daily wage info) :bounce:

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by RnR]

Paco Facullo - 12-11-2019 at 02:52 PM

I have a dash cam and a radar detector so I can PROVE to them that they "could be mistaken" ( some other car , per chance ?)

Ya don't want to argue and call them a liar... Make it a non-conflictive talk.
Even joke a bit if you can...

Hey, it is X-mas time and the Cops NEED x-tra $$$ for the wife, kids and novia's ......:)

Note, before I had a dash cam I used my cell phone to record through cities know for cops doing such things. Such as Ciudad Constitución, also I would talk during the recording saying see I have now stopped completely (in Spanish) and IF a cop did pull me over I would continue to record as he walked up to my car. I would probably stop recording when talking to him , might pee him off.

Knock on wood as I haven't been pulled over yet....

[Edited on 12-11-2019 by Paco Facullo]

JZ - 12-11-2019 at 04:52 PM

What's the price for speeding? We got stopped at a speed trap just before Santa Rosalia about 3 weeks ago.

The guy said it would be $250 at the police station. I laughed at him.

Gave him $40 and we were on our way.

mojo_norte - 12-11-2019 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
What's the price for speeding? We got stopped at a speed trap just before Santa Rosalia about 3 weeks ago.

Yea they were there when I came through 4 days ago (a Fed) . Also, the Fed a little south of GN - he's always there.

RnR - 12-11-2019 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Speeding -- Excesso de velocidad -- 20 x Daily min wage

bajaguy - 12-11-2019 at 07:01 PM

A dash cam is good insurance

JZ - 12-11-2019 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

Speeding -- Excesso de velocidad -- 20 x Daily min wage

So like a $100?

Lee - 12-11-2019 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
Got pulled over in Vizcano. Said I ran a stop sign - not true. Much arguing . Said I could pay 100 USD there or go to the station and pay a ticket. I opted for the ticket . Shady looking judge at station set the ticket price at 2500 pesos (130$). I thought there was a standard price for tickets and they were reasonable?

You could have negotiated on the street, or at the station. Doesn't look like you did that. Esp. since you claim it was a scam. Tsk tsk.

shari - 12-12-2019 at 09:12 AM

I did a rolling "stop" through a sign in GN last year and it was around 2,300 pesos which sucked but I was guilty and had to give him my license so they said I could pay anytime.

When I went a few days later the Comandante was a friend as he was the chief here in Asuncion for awhile...so he gave me the friends discount so I paid 2,000...hahaha.

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by shari]

Paco Facullo - 12-12-2019 at 10:23 AM

I seriously don’t think that Mexicans get the same high fines and not as targeted as Gringos ...

John Harper - 12-12-2019 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Amazing to have "official" fines that high. That's HUGE for someone working on Mexican wages. :O

Got a ticket in California lately? Gone to traffic school? Had your insurance rates go up? Excessive fines and draconian punishment are the norm today. Especially brutal on the lower classes. Poor folks lose their cars, jobs, homes and (any) credit rating over excessive fines.

John

RnR - 12-12-2019 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I seriously don’t think that Mexicans get the same high fines and not as targeted as Gringos ...

The fines are the same, however, the judge can reduce the fine based on the offender's ability to pay. (See below) Foreigners are just targeted more because they can pay more.

Why would you waste your time as a cop and issue a ticket to somebody who just isn't going to pay?

This is also found in the Traffic Regs of La Paz. Interesting ---

1. " Las condiciones económicas del infractor….". The economic conditions of the offender ... will be taken into consideration in the assessment of the fine. Read, Poor Mexicans vs Rich Americans. (Page 52)

2. If you recieve a fine, pay it within 72 hours and you will recieve a 50% discount. This discount does not apply to a fine for drunk driving or for illegal parking.

John Harper - 12-12-2019 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Got a ticket in California lately?
Uhh, no-- I haven't gotten a ticket in 30 years...

Luck? Or maybe our behavior does affect our outcomes. :lol:

I haven't either. It was a rhetorical question. Do a search and see how brutal the fines have gotten.

John

[Edited on 12-12-2019 by John Harper]

Paco Facullo - 12-12-2019 at 01:14 PM

And the reason the fines are SO high up North is the Cities can raise them without voter approval.

And we all know the the Government is ALWAYS needing MORE money.

The sick thing is that NO MATTER HOW much money they get they NEED MORE !!!!!

shari - 12-13-2019 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

nope the fines are the same for everyone...it's in the books.
They dont target gringos in our area or GN...you violate a traffic law you are busted if the cops see you whatever race you are.