BajaNomad

Corona virus news conference question re:US/MX border

Whale-ista - 2-29-2020 at 01:48 PM

FYI, for those planning their return north- during today's news conference it was asked if the administration would consider shutting down the southern border.

The response:
"Trump said he was also looking at restrictions on entry from America's southern border.

“We are looking also southern border,” Trump said, despite the low number of coronavirus cases in Mexico so far. Pressed on the issue, he said, "This is not a border this seems to be much of a problem right now. We hope we won't have to do that.”

--------------
Update: I posted this same info to the "Talk Baja" group on FB and they blocked me from commenting for 24 hours.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago when I posted that DHS had suspended access to Trusted Traveller programs for people in New York.

Given these possible X-border travel restrictions: I encourage anyone who travels out of the US to get Trusted Traveller, SENTRI, Global Entry etc. status to make their departures and returns faster and easier.

This administration has shown they will make international travel more challenging.

Be informed, know your rights, and if you travel out of the US: have your travel papers ready.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/coronavirus-tr...

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by Whale-ista]

AKgringo - 2-29-2020 at 02:36 PM

I wish I hadn't read this. My rebellious sub-conscious is going to want me to sneeze while I am crossing north in a few days! :o

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by AKgringo]

4x4abc - 2-29-2020 at 02:51 PM

expect the border to be closed soon

Ferry service between Baja and mainland was just halted

considering that southern Baja gets all its gas and merchandise through the ferries - it will get ugly fast

mtgoat666 - 2-29-2020 at 03:10 PM

From what is in the news, Covid-19 appears to be in WA, OR and CA; and spread via community transmission (not travelers from abroad).

In mexico, only a few cases found in DF, people returned from Italy.

So, it appears that Covid-19 has already got out into USA general population, but not in general population of Mexico.

Mexico would be wise to close it's border with USA, not the other way around... just saying!

Todays Trump nonsense statement about closing mex border was irresponsible. He has no basis to suggest such. He is a bull in a china shop, and is wrecking the stock market value with his admin's incoherent response and his own irresponsible statements

That's Entertainment ?

MrBillM - 2-29-2020 at 04:34 PM

Time to head to the market and stock up on staples. Canned goods and Stella Artois.

What the masses do BEST is PANIC and it might be about to get CRAZY !

I remember (in '62) walking down to the local supermarket about an hour after JFK's Cuban Crisis speech and finding the place packed with people emptying the shelves.

Then there were the '73 and '79 oil crises. Along with the Toilet Paper panics.

The first U.S. Flu death of the 2019-2020 season was back in October and (mostly) NOBODY even knew. The typical estimate for U.S. Flu deaths each year is 36K, but IF (when) we hit a dozen or so Corona Corpses ......... LOOK OUT !

AKgringo - 2-29-2020 at 04:39 PM

Closing the land border crossings without shutting off air travel would be an empty, ineffective gesture!

I planned on leaving La Paz in two days, but I might be better off extending my stay rather than get caught in limbo at the border.

Don Pisto - 2-29-2020 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Time to head to the market and stock up on staples. Canned goods and Stella Artois.

What the masses do BEST is PANIC and it might be about to get CRAZY !

I remember (in '62) walking down to the local supermarket about an hour after JFK's Cuban Crisis speech and finding the place packed with people emptying the shelves.

The first U.S. Flu death of the 2019-2020 season was back in October and (mostly) NOBODY even knew. The typical estimate for U.S. Flu deaths each year is 36K, but IF (when) we hit a dozen or so Corona Corpses ......... LOOK OUT !

hey Bill this is the side you want to be caught on......12 packs of Stella are 175 peso's (about 9 bucks) rosarito walmart!

unbob - 2-29-2020 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

considering that southern Baja gets all its gas and merchandise through the ferries - it will get ugly fast
Got a link to that story? And halting ferry service protects who exactly?

mtgoat666 - 2-29-2020 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  

Got a link to that story? And halting ferry service protects who exactly?

cant find a link to such a story.
also, looking around talk baja, it seems the op's post has been censored by the man.

4x4abc - 2-29-2020 at 06:55 PM

yup, my post in Talk Baja has been removed.

It was based on a Mexican newspaper article that was pushed into my facebook account, stating that ferry service would be halted immediately. So I asked Talk Baja if anyone knew more.

Have been trying to find that article again. No luck.

Paco Facullo - 2-29-2020 at 07:09 PM

They are all trying to prevent the masses from panicking....

You DO NOT want to be out there in the middle of a crowd while the shelves are being depleted...
Crowd mentality is a VARY DANGEROUS environment...

Prepare in advance my friends.... I certainly am and have been for years...

BajaBlanca - 2-29-2020 at 07:31 PM

Boy oh boy. The world just got a little bit crazier.

Paco Facullo - 2-29-2020 at 07:39 PM

Yes, wish for the best BUT prepare for the worst ....

And enjoy every minute you can in-between....

There are many more instances , besides a pandemic, that can cause disruption of services .......

Earthquakes, Storms, Economic collapse, Wars, A bad solar flare, etc....

The world has always been crazy but when you add in the desperation factor , all bets are off ...........

mtgoat666 - 2-29-2020 at 07:42 PM

It was based on a Mexican newspaper article that was pushed into my facebook account, stating that ferry service would be halted immediately. So I asked Talk Baja if anyone knew more.

Talk baja only allows news that the man approves of. He is a right winger, and pro-baja ra-ra cheerleader, so he censors liberals and all news that is not cheerleading baja tourism promotional fluff.

BajaTed - 2-29-2020 at 07:46 PM

Just had a bad cold, I'm ready, bring that chit on and let's get it over with.
Right now about 3 sigma death rate.
The word "Quarantine" is from the black plague days,
it means; "stay away 40 days" in early roman language.

BornFisher - 2-29-2020 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The toilet paper panics is going on in Hawaii where Costco and others are in ration mode. I`m scheduled for a Maui trip in a few months. Thinking I`ll take a bunch of toilet paper and trade for pineapples! Tricky because if you pee the wrong guy off, he`ll toss you in the neighborhood volcano!!

Hook - 2-29-2020 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Talk baja only allows news that the man approves of. He is a right winger, and pro-baja ra-ra cheerleader, so he censors liberals and all news that is not cheerleading baja tourism promotional fluff.

Yep. Pretty much.

Seriously, why post any good information over there. Remember, it's the posters that possess what's important, not someone who simply put up a website. WE have the power.

Why give ANY info to a site that continually censors your posts.

Boycott the site. Boycott their sponsors. And tell their sponsors why you are boycotting their business.

Just say NO, to giving them good info.

Heck, just delete your account. Do it!!

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by Hook]

David K - 2-29-2020 at 08:56 PM

Oh, he is NOT!!! Trust me on that. He hates Trump as much as you do.

mtgoat666 - 2-29-2020 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Oh, he is NOT!!! Trust me on that. He hates Trump as much as you do.

He Censors more than the Chinese.
Hating trump does not make him a liberal. Lots of right wingers hate trump.

JZ - 2-29-2020 at 09:49 PM

I'm moderate/right-leaning and hate Trump.

I'd pick him over Bernie though.

DaliDali - 3-1-2020 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

It was a NO BRAINER on who to vote for in 2016.

It will be another NO BRAINER on who to vote for in November.

bajaric - 3-1-2020 at 08:37 AM

Wish I had about a hundred cases of N-95 masks, I could make a KILLING.

chuckie - 3-1-2020 at 08:47 AM

Fuel comes to Baja on Tankers, not Ferries. Bernie is gonna give us free stuff....He said so...Pols NEVER lie...cept for dRUMP..He never tells the Truth...

Hallelujah and Hooray !

MrBillM - 3-1-2020 at 10:59 AM

Now that Mickey P is in charge, Corona is sure to be conquered. As the regimes designated God Guy, he can be trusted to Pray the Plague Away !

Paco Facullo - 3-1-2020 at 11:36 AM

How does that old saying go ???

Prey in one and and crap in the other and see which one fills up faster ......

Lee - 3-1-2020 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

It was a NO BRAINER on who to vote for in 2016.

It will be another NO BRAINER on who to vote for in November.

There you go. Vote for someone you hate. Or, the lesser of two evils.

Problem with the US is people who would do this.

Just an observation. I'm apolitical.

BobbyC - 3-1-2020 at 01:14 PM

As many in the right wing media and the president himself continue to insist this is much ado about nothing and mostly a left wing hoax to make the orange man look bad, the virus is still spreading.

At least one historically right leaning media source however, is taking the president to task:

Trump's efforts to muzzle health officials and downplay coronavirus mirror the tactics of an authoritarian regime, experts say

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-response-coronavirus-m...

mtgoat666 - 3-1-2020 at 01:32 PM

Trump’s under-employed/under-insured base will reject him when they start getting hospitalized at rate of 15 to 20% and dieing at rate of 2%.... and discover life is hard w/o adequate health insurance. How will the under-insured afford ICU respiratory care on that chitty insurance that they got? Get well, then file bankruptcy!
Meanwhile, trump says concern about Covid-19 is a left-wing hoax,... trump wants your family and neighbors to die quietly, out of sight, without panicking the community.

John Harper - 3-1-2020 at 02:41 PM

Trump wants your family and neighbors to die quietly, out of sight, without panicking the community.

And God forbid hurt the Stock Market!!!

Maybe another tax cut for the 1% will control the pandemic?

John