Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Corona virus news conference question re:US/MX border
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 01:48 PM
Corona virus news conference question re:US/MX border

FYI, for those planning their return north- during today's news conference it was asked if the administration would consider shutting down the southern border.

The response:
"Trump said he was also looking at restrictions on entry from America's southern border.

“We are looking also southern border,” Trump said, despite the low number of coronavirus cases in Mexico so far. Pressed on the issue, he said, "This is not a border this seems to be much of a problem right now. We hope we won't have to do that.”

--------------
Update: I posted this same info to the "Talk Baja" group on FB and they blocked me from commenting for 24 hours.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago when I posted that DHS had suspended access to Trusted Traveller programs for people in New York.

Given these possible X-border travel restrictions: I encourage anyone who travels out of the US to get Trusted Traveller, SENTRI, Global Entry etc. status to make their departures and returns faster and easier.

This administration has shown they will make international travel more challenging.

Be informed, know your rights, and if you travel out of the US: have your travel papers ready.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/coronavirus-tr...

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 02:36 PM

I wish I hadn't read this. My rebellious sub-conscious is going to want me to sneeze while I am crossing north in a few days! :o

[Edited on 2-29-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 02:51 PM

expect the border to be closed soon

Ferry service between Baja and mainland was just halted

considering that southern Baja gets all its gas and merchandise through the ferries - it will get ugly fast

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 03:10 PM

From what is in the news, Covid-19 appears to be in WA, OR and CA; and spread via community transmission (not travelers from abroad).

In mexico, only a few cases found in DF, people returned from Italy.

So, it appears that Covid-19 has already got out into USA general population, but not in general population of Mexico.

Mexico would be wise to close it's border with USA, not the other way around... just saying!

Todays Trump nonsense statement about closing mex border was irresponsible. He has no basis to suggest such. He is a bull in a china shop, and is wrecking the stock market value with his admin's incoherent response and his own irresponsible statements

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 04:34 PM
That's Entertainment ?

Time to head to the market and stock up on staples. Canned goods and Stella Artois.

What the masses do BEST is PANIC and it might be about to get CRAZY !

I remember (in '62) walking down to the local supermarket about an hour after JFK's Cuban Crisis speech and finding the place packed with people emptying the shelves.

Then there were the '73 and '79 oil crises. Along with the Toilet Paper panics.

The first U.S. Flu death of the 2019-2020 season was back in October and (mostly) NOBODY even knew. The typical estimate for U.S. Flu deaths each year is 36K, but IF (when) we hit a dozen or so Corona Corpses ......... LOOK OUT !
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 04:39 PM

Closing the land border crossings without shutting off air travel would be an empty, ineffective gesture!

I planned on leaving La Paz in two days, but I might be better off extending my stay rather than get caught in limbo at the border.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Time to head to the market and stock up on staples. Canned goods and Stella Artois.

What the masses do BEST is PANIC and it might be about to get CRAZY !

I remember (in '62) walking down to the local supermarket about an hour after JFK's Cuban Crisis speech and finding the place packed with people emptying the shelves.

The first U.S. Flu death of the 2019-2020 season was back in October and (mostly) NOBODY even knew. The typical estimate for U.S. Flu deaths each year is 36K, but IF (when) we hit a dozen or so Corona Corpses ......... LOOK OUT !

hey Bill this is the side you want to be caught on......12 packs of Stella are 175 peso's (about 9 bucks) rosarito walmart!
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

considering that southern Baja gets all its gas and merchandise through the ferries - it will get ugly fast
Got a link to that story? And halting ferry service protects who exactly?

"I'm too young to be this old!"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  

Got a link to that story? And halting ferry service protects who exactly?

cant find a link to such a story.
also, looking around talk baja, it seems the op's post has been censored by the man.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 06:55 PM

yup, my post in Talk Baja has been removed.

It was based on a Mexican newspaper article that was pushed into my facebook account, stating that ferry service would be halted immediately. So I asked Talk Baja if anyone knew more.

Have been trying to find that article again. No luck.

Harald Pietschmann
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 07:09 PM

They are all trying to prevent the masses from panicking....

You DO NOT want to be out there in the middle of a crowd while the shelves are being depleted...
Crowd mentality is a VARY DANGEROUS environment...

Prepare in advance my friends.... I certainly am and have been for years...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 07:31 PM

Boy oh boy. The world just got a little bit crazier.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 07:39 PM

Yes, wish for the best BUT prepare for the worst ....

And enjoy every minute you can in-between....

There are many more instances , besides a pandemic, that can cause disruption of services .......

Earthquakes, Storms, Economic collapse, Wars, A bad solar flare, etc....

The world has always been crazy but when you add in the desperation factor , all bets are off ...........

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 07:42 PM

It was based on a Mexican newspaper article that was pushed into my facebook account, stating that ferry service would be halted immediately. So I asked Talk Baja if anyone knew more.

Talk baja only allows news that the man approves of. He is a right winger, and pro-baja ra-ra cheerleader, so he censors liberals and all news that is not cheerleading baja tourism promotional fluff.

Woke!

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 07:46 PM

Just had a bad cold, I'm ready, bring that chit on and let's get it over with.
Right now about 3 sigma death rate.
The word "Quarantine" is from the black plague days,
it means; "stay away 40 days" in early roman language.

Es Todo Bueno
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The toilet paper panics is going on in Hawaii where Costco and others are in ration mode. I`m scheduled for a Maui trip in a few months. Thinking I`ll take a bunch of toilet paper and trade for pineapples! Tricky because if you pee the wrong guy off, he`ll toss you in the neighborhood volcano!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Talk baja only allows news that the man approves of. He is a right winger, and pro-baja ra-ra cheerleader, so he censors liberals and all news that is not cheerleading baja tourism promotional fluff.

Yep. Pretty much.

Seriously, why post any good information over there. Remember, it's the posters that possess what's important, not someone who simply put up a website. WE have the power.

Why give ANY info to a site that continually censors your posts.

Boycott the site. Boycott their sponsors. And tell their sponsors why you are boycotting their business.

Just say NO, to giving them good info.

Heck, just delete your account. Do it!!

[Edited on 3-1-2020 by Hook]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 08:56 PM

Oh, he is NOT!!! Trust me on that. He hates Trump as much as you do.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Oh, he is NOT!!! Trust me on that. He hates Trump as much as you do.

He Censors more than the Chinese.
Hating trump does not make him a liberal. Lots of right wingers hate trump.

Woke!

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2020 at 09:49 PM

I'm moderate/right-leaning and hate Trump.

I'd pick him over Bernie though.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.