BajaNomad

San Juanico-Scorpion Bay CLOSED

Oldbajabilly - 4-4-2020 at 06:46 AM

Just got notice this morning that the military has shutdown campgrounds and removing all tourists and visitors in Scorpion Bay. My amigo said they had been a lot of campers showing up daily that were ignoring the stay in shelter orders the BCS government had enforced last week. I hope all my local friends are safe there and Covid free.

BigWooo - 4-4-2020 at 12:46 PM

I can confirm after hearing from the mayor today. The town is closed to all visitors All camping is forbidden, on the beach or anywhere else. Beaches are closed, no surfing. You can fish if you need food. No foreigners will be allowed into the town and the people are being asked to report any camping, or tourists that don't belong.

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by BigWooo]

BajaBlanca - 4-4-2020 at 12:52 PM

I do hope that all the visitors comply so that the issue of anger towards tourists is not unnecessarily fanned.

We, especially Americans, are being blamed although surely the virus could just as easily have come from a Mexican in La Paz or Cabo or working in the U.S.

Very sad, very sad.

Oldbajabilly - 4-6-2020 at 05:33 AM

Gringos are at fault for it, of course. Even though I don’t recall ever seeing a gringo eating an under cooked bat. Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.

pacificobob - 4-6-2020 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We, especially Americans, are being blamed

Have you personally felt any animosity? That would surprise me, considering your relationship with that community...

Lots of mt local friends and neighbors feel the virus is sort of a gringo thing.

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 08:31 AM

Native Americans know exactly which race is the real "destroyer of worlds."

John

white whale - 4-6-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oldbajabilly  
Gringos are at fault for it, of course. Even though I don’t recall ever seeing a gringo eating an under cooked bat. Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.

https://youtu.be/TPpoJGYlW54

This is a short Vox Media video clip on the chinese wet markets and the very interesting history of how they started. If nothing else the elimination of these THROUGHOUT the world will be a side benefit of the pandemic.

Ruthless Culture comment aside, no country has pristine hands in the production of food or quest for power.

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Oldbajabilly  

Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.

OMG. Outrageous.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You should change your name to Oldbajahillbilly

David K - 4-6-2020 at 01:46 PM

Yes, I agree... but will they ever stop that behavior? What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

Nikita Kruschev. He knew we'd do it to ourselves, which seems increasingly likely since 2016. Putin just needed Facebook, the NRA, and Fox News. The Unholy Trinity.

BTW: When's the last time we won a war? Or established a successful democracy in another country?

Bonus question: Who said "You have a republic, if you can keep it?" Unfortunately, history shows the odds aren't good. The man who said it was fully aware of that fact, even back then.

John

[Edited on 4-6-2020 by John Harper]

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2020 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, I agree... but will they ever stop that behavior? What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

Things happened in reverse. Actually communism was a failure long before Khruschev said that (and there is doubt that he ever said it). Stalin's purges were an attempt to force a system on a nation that was bucking it.

China's current communism has very little in common with the Soviet version.

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

It's a totalitarian dictatorship.

John

white whale - 4-6-2020 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

Good for you knowing your history! There's a ray of hope. Thank you!

WE = "Wild Eyed?" Good observation and accurate.

John

[Edited on 4-6-2020 by John Harper]

WE was geography related - I'm in Canada.

I think Panama was more about Noriega grabbing with 2 hands some of the Contra cash and Drug monies. He got off leash a bit to far. I just remember the music guns blasting away at him.

----------------------------

China - I always get a kick out of hearing , RED China, Communist Regime, Communism.... China is way more enterprenurial than alot of the rest of the world. It is the wild west - they rip off whatever they can , duplicate, reverse engineer.... whatever it takes, environment , health, laws be damned. They ONLY care about money in todays China. Money is Number 1 2 and 3. In one way can you imagine having to control 1.3 billion people without having the power of the state, not having ANY (real) rights? India? they try at least. I was wanting to visit China - but might be several years now before trying.

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2020 at 04:46 PM

John

Communism is an economic ideology. China follows a capitalistic form of economy. Totalitarianism in the Soviet Union came about (read above) due to an intolerance of the practices of that ideology (land redistribution, work quotas, state owned factories). China has none of that. It's citizens have a personal level of freedom that the Soviets never had. You can call it what you want but the oppression just isn't there. The overwhelming majority of Chinese are happy with their form of government. That was not true of the old Soviet Union. Even after the gulags of the 30's, 40's, and 50's were gone there just was not the standard of living that people felt was their right. The standard of living in China now is just about as good as it gets.

China Now and Then

MrBillM - 4-6-2020 at 05:10 PM

While there is a substantial difference between the China of today and its history since WWII (including the Cultural Revolution), it's absurd to think that it isn't STILL a fairly Totalitarian government whatever the economics.

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2020 at 05:47 PM

glad you added the word 'fairly', Bill.

John Harper - 4-6-2020 at 05:48 PM

Communism is an economic ideology.

Communism is a political, social, and economic ideology.

Remember, we are not a true democracy, either. Read your history. If we were, Trump would not be President. Senators were originally not elected by our citizens (state legislators chose the Senate), only House members were popularly elected. There's also something called the Electoral College to select the President. People 250+ years ago knew far more about the structure of our government than our current citizenry. The debates were deep, thoughtful, and comprehensive in Philadelphia during the lead up the our Revolution. Far too many people today are bereft of knowledge of our country's founding principles and arguments.

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and the Federalist Papers should be required reading for all citizens. Not to mention the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Those are our "Little Red Books."

George Washington's farewell address is another required reading for any real patriot. As well as Eisenhower's warning about the dangers of the MIC.

John

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 4-6-2020 at 06:52 PM

John

China has none of that. It's citizens have a personal level of freedom that the Soviets never had. You can call it what you want but the oppression just isn't there. The overwhelming majority of Chinese are happy with their form of government.

You are nuts!
Ask the thousands of political prisoners tortured every year in China. Ask the residents of Hong Kong that fear being absorbed into china’s dictatorship. Do people of Tibet have freedom?

BajaRun - 4-6-2020 at 07:09 PM

True to BN Form. We have another derailed thread. This site never fails to disappoint when it comes to slinging shiat at each other.

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2020 at 07:25 PM

Actually, I'm in the midst of reading Vidal's Burr so I'm fairly up on early American history (so don't lecture me!). The electoral system was primarily advocated by Jefferson who wanted the United States to be a loose collection of states that could stay or leave the Union at their own will. That idea never really until until the conclusion of the Civil War. He, and the Democrats, agreed to a central government if the electoral system would be established giving states more right than the population of the union as a whole. And yes, despite the egalitarian words in the constitution this country was established to be run by those capable of running it, the rich and well connected. This lasted until Jackson 50 years later who extended voting rights to a much greater percentage of the population.

Communism in and of itself is not a totalitarian form of government. Each and everyone was supposed to happily contribute to the welfare of the state holding hands and singing kumbaya. It became totalitarian in enforcing it's principles. Actually if you studied sociobiology you'll find that there are counterparts in the animal kingdom to this notion of sacrificing for the social group. It exists from insects to the higher apes. The thing is as the social group becomes further and further separated from ones genes that willingness to sacrifice becomes less and less. At a national level it's pretty weak. Certainly weaker than at the individual, family, kinship, and tribal level. So the Soviet dogma just wasn't swallowed. Why would a Ukrainian send it's grain to Moscow during a famine to meet a quota when it's family is starving.

As far as the Chinese dictatorship. OK. But I don't see any secret police that knock on your door never to be seen again. I don't see any marching boots and nationalistic rallies. I don't see any speeches given from balconies to hysterical crowds shouting national slogans. I don't see any 'Krystalnachts' where minority groups are victimized by brutal state police. These are the things that I conjure up when I think of dictatorships.

And finally. We are entering a period of a new Cold War with China. Those who have lived through the previous Cold War clearly see all the signs pointing to the new one. China has risen up to a world stage and this doesn't sit with some people. Even if we look at the coronavirus situation, China has done a better job of it. It has peaked at 80,000 cases through better technology and faster organization than the US with 350,000 cases and projected to go into the millions. As a result China was able to give humanitarian aid in a manner that the US used to. Other nations see that. Was this done to embarrass the US as you read in the articles? No. It did what it had to do for it's people (that 'totalitarian' beast) and did to others for humanitarian reasons. A country that desperately needs the supplies cares not what the reasons are. So, I fully expect the China bashing to increase ('they're a dictatorship', 'they eat bats', 'they're spying on us', 'they're stealing our technology') and totally ignore it, or see it for what it is (just as I did the impeachment procedures). The similarities between the struggles between our two political parties is very much like those between US and China. The same tactics are used. Just sit back and watch the national hysteria now unfold to another opponent.

Sorry this is so long.

coconuts - 4-7-2020 at 07:04 AM

IS the subject of these posts that San Juanico/Scorpion Bay closed???

Ateo - 4-7-2020 at 07:07 AM

Viva San Juanico!!! Interesting to see what happens with the first mackin’ south swell. Empty perfection or crowded carnage?

BajaRun - 4-7-2020 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  

Good Question !

If you have come to this forum for information like I used too, I suggest you go somewhere else.

If you have come to this forum for political divisiveness and shiat slinging at each other, then you have come to the right place.

Sad but true!!

AKgringo - 4-7-2020 at 08:58 AM

Since Ateo has brought this political thread back to San Juanico, here is a question from a non-surfer.

When a surfer is said to be on the far right, or far left, is that from the viewpoint of the surfer, or those on the beach?

paranewbi - 4-7-2020 at 09:08 AM

I am a goofy-foot. Meaning I surf with my right foot forward and I face the wave going left. That left is from my point of view when I'm paddling for a wave.

So to answer your question...it is left from the surfers point of view who is paddling towards those on the beach.

And by the way...if you are to the far right or the far left, you're probably about to cut off someone on the wave.

motoged - 4-7-2020 at 09:10 AM

Gary,
When you park and camp on the beach with your pooch and Kia....YOU decide how to call 'em....surfers speak in an arcane dialect. :light:

John Harper - 4-7-2020 at 09:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
And by the way...if you are to the far right or the far left, you're probably about to cut off someone on the wave.

+1

John

David K - 4-7-2020 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  

Good Question !

If you have come to this forum for information like I used too, I suggest you go somewhere else.

If you have come to this forum for political divisiveness and shiat slinging at each other, then you have come to the right place.

Sad but true!!

I recommend the Trip Reports and the Historical Interests forums here on Nomad for pure info gleaning. This is "General Baja Discussion" and sadly, politics can take it sideways unless replies are ignored.

BajaRat - 4-7-2020 at 09:28 AM

I’m a little curious about the hint of tourists being targeted
But when you show up to camp or hang out on a statewide beach closure :?:
W T F !
Self important tourists , Please Stay Home !
We have Abuelas down there !

white whale - 4-7-2020 at 09:49 AM

I will make amends for my political detours. I keyed into the thread first because I saw San Juanico. I have been mapping out the offroad Baja Divide route for a bikepacking plan in 2021 . '20 was to be my training year so we'll see. Scorpion Bay sounds too cool to pass on by.

The Divide route (blue) intersects this El Salto marked trail / road? Seemed like a great detour to what sounds like a great stereotypical old time fishing and surf village.

What might be the conditions on this route be? And is this a commonly used route?

Rough distance via the scale is 25 KM - travel time no idea.

san jaunico2.jpg - 34kB

san jaunico.jpg - 230kB

David K - 4-7-2020 at 10:00 AM

The Road between Laguna San Ignacio and San Juanico is well-traveled. There is high road (graded) that passes the junction to San José de Gracia and a low road or Salinas road that passes through El Dátil on the seashore.

The road that crosses over to Mulegé from Rancho La Ballena is along Arroyo San Raymundo, and is also a common route that passes through the ranching settlement of San Miguel (once a mission visita of Guadalupe, the chapel was where the cemetery now is).

My map that may help visualize the places mentioned...

AKgringo - 4-7-2020 at 10:07 AM

White whale, if you are traveling the Baja divide route, that stretch of road will be far better than anything you have been on for quite a while. It is well maintained, and suitable for any vehicle.

Stay Home, Tune in and put on a Happy Face

MrBillM - 4-7-2020 at 10:26 AM

Don't lose to the Corona Blues. Watch Fox News !

If this virus news is getting you down while home-bound, Fox and Friends will bring you around.

Their "Happier Face" will bring you to a better place.

Try it a bit and you'll feel more fit.

News with a hopeful Hydroxy smile sans all that other media bile.

" Happy Days will be here again. Let's face this race with a foxy grin. Hip Hip Hooray, Let's all say ..... and come what may, many may die, but it won't be I. The world may take it on the chin, but Happy Days will be here again ................. "

Slainte Mhaith !

white whale - 4-7-2020 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
White whale, if you are traveling the Baja divide route, that stretch of road will be far better than anything you have been on for quite a while. It is well maintained, and suitable for any vehicle.

That sounds like a sell feature I couldn't pass - resupply and recharge for an extra day or two maybe. So being maintained stretch would it be a safe bet you'd see a road sign with an arrow to make it dummy proof? Don't imagine the google map car gets this far in yet.

JZ - 4-7-2020 at 11:05 AM

Remember, we are not a true democracy, either. Read your history. If we were, Trump would not be President. Senators were originally not elected by our citizens (state legislators chose the Senate), only House members were popularly elected. There's also something called the Electoral College to select the President. People 250+ years ago knew far more about the structure of our government than our current citizenry. The debates were deep, thoughtful, and comprehensive in Philadelphia during the lead up the our Revolution. Far too many people today are bereft of knowledge of our country's founding principles and arguments.

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and the Federalist Papers should be required reading for all citizens. Not to mention the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Those are our "Little Red Books."

George Washington's farewell address is another required reading for any real patriot. As well as Eisenhower's warning about the dangers of the MIC.

John

Let's not over romanticize the past. They also allowed slavery and wiped out the native population.

I went to law school and read all the stuff you are referring to in conlaw classes.

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by JZ]

motoged - 4-7-2020 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

I went to law school and read all the stuff you are referring to in conlaw classes.

That's a romantic notion from your past....did you get your law degree? Pass a bar exam?

JZ - 4-7-2020 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That's a romantic notion from your past....did you get your law degree? Pass a bar exam?

Finished top 10% at Loyola Law School. Have an undergrad in electrical engineering, so I focused mainly on intellectual property and contracts law.

Decided not to practice. I like jobs that involve international travel too much.

motoged - 4-7-2020 at 11:52 AM

Congrats.....lotsa hard work....lots of reading.

John Harper - 4-7-2020 at 11:59 AM

Let's not over romanticize the past. They also allowed slavery and wiped out the native population.

Where do you get the idea that I'm "romanticizing" the past. I'm completely aware of our history, the good and bad. I'd rather not write a post that reads like a Stephen King novel.

BTW, I was well above the top 10% in both undergraduate (UCSD) and graduate business school (USC). Not to mention a full ride fellowship at USC. Fight On!

If you need a CFO, let me know.

John

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by John Harper]

BajaTed - 4-7-2020 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I am a goofy-foot. Meaning I surf with my right foot forward and I face the wave going left. That left is from my point of view when I'm paddling for a wave.

So to answer your question...it is left from the surfers point of view who is paddling towards those on the beach.

Being a Goofy foot is something my therapist and I have been working on since my Jeffery Dale days @ T street.
LEFT!!!
I spear you haole
eat spam, brah

AKgringo - 4-7-2020 at 12:27 PM

I forgot, I am a goofy footer! I never really learned to surf, but when I was a kid, I learned to slalom water ski I had my right foot forward.

When I took up snowboarding many years later, I was told that I was a goofy footer on it too.

caj13 - 4-7-2020 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Finished top 10% at Loyola Law School. Have an undergrad in electrical engineering, so I focused mainly on intellectual property and contracts law.

Decided not to practice. I like jobs that involve international travel too much.

so that would be a no to the original question? (pass the BAR?)

Paco Facullo - 4-7-2020 at 12:40 PM

Heck,,, I'm just plain O'l Goofy !!!

Tioloco - 4-7-2020 at 12:58 PM

On a side note...

We are ALL one day closer to having this shelter in place situation behind us.

Fishing, Exploring, Drinking, Dancing, Etc..... COMING SOON!!

JZ - 4-7-2020 at 06:01 PM

Where do you get the idea that I'm "romanticizing" the past. I'm completely aware of our history, the good and bad. I'd rather not write a post that reads like a Stephen King novel.

BTW, I was well above the top 10% in both undergraduate (UCSD) and graduate business school (USC). Not to mention a full ride fellowship at USC. Fight On!

If you need a CFO, let me know.

John

I fired our CFO in December. Hired a fractional CFO. Works 1/2 the time and is 5x more productive.

John Harper - 4-7-2020 at 07:08 PM

I fired our CFO in December. Hired a fractional CFO. Works 1/2 the time and is 5x more productive.

Nice deflection. But, isn't the real question: Did you pass the bar exam in California?

As my dad always said: "I asked you a yes or no question, son."

What's your answer: Yes, or No?

John

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by John Harper]

Ateo - 4-7-2020 at 08:33 PM

I'm taking my son there in July hopefully. His graduation present. We shall see..................

Ateo - 4-7-2020 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Since Ateo has brought this political thread back to San Juanico, here is a question from a non-surfer.

When a surfer is said to be on the far right, or far left, is that from the viewpoint of the surfer, or those on the beach?

Always love your posts by the way...............Thanks for always being so kind and helpful.

If a surfer is on a "right" they are moving to their right. From the beach it appears they are moving left. So if you are chilling on the beach in San Juanico, you are watching people go left, but really they are going right!

Jon

[Edited on 4-8-2020 by Ateo]