Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Juanico-Scorpion Bay CLOSED
Oldbajabilly

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 06:46 AM
San Juanico-Scorpion Bay CLOSED

Just got notice this morning that the military has shutdown campgrounds and removing all tourists and visitors in Scorpion Bay. My amigo said they had been a lot of campers showing up daily that were ignoring the stay in shelter orders the BCS government had enforced last week. I hope all my local friends are safe there and Covid free.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 12:46 PM

I can confirm after hearing from the mayor today. The town is closed to all visitors All camping is forbidden, on the beach or anywhere else. Beaches are closed, no surfing. You can fish if you need food. No foreigners will be allowed into the town and the people are being asked to report any camping, or tourists that don't belong.

[Edited on 4-4-2020 by BigWooo]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2020 at 12:52 PM

I do hope that all the visitors comply so that the issue of anger towards tourists is not unnecessarily fanned.

We, especially Americans, are being blamed although surely the virus could just as easily have come from a Mexican in La Paz or Cabo or working in the U.S.

Very sad, very sad.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Oldbajabilly

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 05:33 AM

Gringos are at fault for it, of course. Even though I don’t recall ever seeing a gringo eating an under cooked bat. Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We, especially Americans, are being blamed

Have you personally felt any animosity? That would surprise me, considering your relationship with that community...

Lots of mt local friends and neighbors feel the virus is sort of a gringo thing.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 08:31 AM

Native Americans know exactly which race is the real "destroyer of worlds."

John
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oldbajabilly  
Gringos are at fault for it, of course. Even though I don’t recall ever seeing a gringo eating an under cooked bat. Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.

https://youtu.be/TPpoJGYlW54

This is a short Vox Media video clip on the chinese wet markets and the very interesting history of how they started. If nothing else the elimination of these THROUGHOUT the world will be a side benefit of the pandemic.

Ruthless Culture comment aside, no country has pristine hands in the production of food or quest for power.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Oldbajabilly  

Chinese will destroy the human race and the environment all in the quest of finance and power. No living creature on earth is safe from Chinese menus, ruthless culture.

OMG. Outrageous.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You should change your name to Oldbajahillbilly
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 01:46 PM

Yes, I agree... but will they ever stop that behavior? What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

Nikita Kruschev. He knew we'd do it to ourselves, which seems increasingly likely since 2016. Putin just needed Facebook, the NRA, and Fox News. The Unholy Trinity.

BTW: When's the last time we won a war? Or established a successful democracy in another country?

Bonus question: Who said "You have a republic, if you can keep it?" Unfortunately, history shows the odds aren't good. The man who said it was fully aware of that fact, even back then.

John

[Edited on 4-6-2020 by John Harper]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, I agree... but will they ever stop that behavior? What communist dictator once said they will defeat America without firing one shot?

Things happened in reverse. Actually communism was a failure long before Khruschev said that (and there is doubt that he ever said it). Stalin's purges were an attempt to force a system on a nation that was bucking it.

China's current communism has very little in common with the Soviet version.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

It's a totalitarian dictatorship.

John
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by white whale  

Good for you knowing your history! There's a ray of hope. Thank you!

WE = "Wild Eyed?" Good observation and accurate.

John

[Edited on 4-6-2020 by John Harper]

WE was geography related - I'm in Canada.

I think Panama was more about Noriega grabbing with 2 hands some of the Contra cash and Drug monies. He got off leash a bit to far. I just remember the music guns blasting away at him.

----------------------------

China - I always get a kick out of hearing , RED China, Communist Regime, Communism.... China is way more enterprenurial than alot of the rest of the world. It is the wild west - they rip off whatever they can , duplicate, reverse engineer.... whatever it takes, environment , health, laws be damned. They ONLY care about money in todays China. Money is Number 1 2 and 3. In one way can you imagine having to control 1.3 billion people without having the power of the state, not having ANY (real) rights? India? they try at least. I was wanting to visit China - but might be several years now before trying.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around Life During Wartime - Talking Heads '79
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 04:46 PM

John

Communism is an economic ideology. China follows a capitalistic form of economy. Totalitarianism in the Soviet Union came about (read above) due to an intolerance of the practices of that ideology (land redistribution, work quotas, state owned factories). China has none of that. It's citizens have a personal level of freedom that the Soviets never had. You can call it what you want but the oppression just isn't there. The overwhelming majority of Chinese are happy with their form of government. That was not true of the old Soviet Union. Even after the gulags of the 30's, 40's, and 50's were gone there just was not the standard of living that people felt was their right. The standard of living in China now is just about as good as it gets.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 05:10 PM
China Now and Then

While there is a substantial difference between the China of today and its history since WWII (including the Cultural Revolution), it's absurd to think that it isn't STILL a fairly Totalitarian government whatever the economics.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 05:47 PM

glad you added the word 'fairly', Bill.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 05:48 PM

Communism is an economic ideology.

Communism is a political, social, and economic ideology.

Remember, we are not a true democracy, either. Read your history. If we were, Trump would not be President. Senators were originally not elected by our citizens (state legislators chose the Senate), only House members were popularly elected. There's also something called the Electoral College to select the President. People 250+ years ago knew far more about the structure of our government than our current citizenry. The debates were deep, thoughtful, and comprehensive in Philadelphia during the lead up the our Revolution. Far too many people today are bereft of knowledge of our country's founding principles and arguments.

Thomas Paine's "Common Sense" and the Federalist Papers should be required reading for all citizens. Not to mention the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Those are our "Little Red Books."

George Washington's farewell address is another required reading for any real patriot. As well as Eisenhower's warning about the dangers of the MIC.

John

[Edited on 4-7-2020 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 06:52 PM

John

China has none of that. It's citizens have a personal level of freedom that the Soviets never had. You can call it what you want but the oppression just isn't there. The overwhelming majority of Chinese are happy with their form of government.

You are nuts!
Ask the thousands of political prisoners tortured every year in China. Ask the residents of Hong Kong that fear being absorbed into china’s dictatorship. Do people of Tibet have freedom?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 07:09 PM

True to BN Form. We have another derailed thread. This site never fails to disappoint when it comes to slinging shiat at each other.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2020 at 07:25 PM

Actually, I'm in the midst of reading Vidal's Burr so I'm fairly up on early American history (so don't lecture me!). The electoral system was primarily advocated by Jefferson who wanted the United States to be a loose collection of states that could stay or leave the Union at their own will. That idea never really until until the conclusion of the Civil War. He, and the Democrats, agreed to a central government if the electoral system would be established giving states more right than the population of the union as a whole. And yes, despite the egalitarian words in the constitution this country was established to be run by those capable of running it, the rich and well connected. This lasted until Jackson 50 years later who extended voting rights to a much greater percentage of the population.

Communism in and of itself is not a totalitarian form of government. Each and everyone was supposed to happily contribute to the welfare of the state holding hands and singing kumbaya. It became totalitarian in enforcing it's principles. Actually if you studied sociobiology you'll find that there are counterparts in the animal kingdom to this notion of sacrificing for the social group. It exists from insects to the higher apes. The thing is as the social group becomes further and further separated from ones genes that willingness to sacrifice becomes less and less. At a national level it's pretty weak. Certainly weaker than at the individual, family, kinship, and tribal level. So the Soviet dogma just wasn't swallowed. Why would a Ukrainian send it's grain to Moscow during a famine to meet a quota when it's family is starving.

As far as the Chinese dictatorship. OK. But I don't see any secret police that knock on your door never to be seen again. I don't see any marching boots and nationalistic rallies. I don't see any speeches given from balconies to hysterical crowds shouting national slogans. I don't see any 'Krystalnachts' where minority groups are victimized by brutal state police. These are the things that I conjure up when I think of dictatorships.

And finally. We are entering a period of a new Cold War with China. Those who have lived through the previous Cold War clearly see all the signs pointing to the new one. China has risen up to a world stage and this doesn't sit with some people. Even if we look at the coronavirus situation, China has done a better job of it. It has peaked at 80,000 cases through better technology and faster organization than the US with 350,000 cases and projected to go into the millions. As a result China was able to give humanitarian aid in a manner that the US used to. Other nations see that. Was this done to embarrass the US as you read in the articles? No. It did what it had to do for it's people (that 'totalitarian' beast) and did to others for humanitarian reasons. A country that desperately needs the supplies cares not what the reasons are. So, I fully expect the China bashing to increase ('they're a dictatorship', 'they eat bats', 'they're spying on us', 'they're stealing our technology') and totally ignore it, or see it for what it is (just as I did the impeachment procedures). The similarities between the struggles between our two political parties is very much like those between US and China. The same tactics are used. Just sit back and watch the national hysteria now unfold to another opponent.

Sorry this is so long.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.