BajaNomad

MPG trivia

PaulW - 4-21-2020 at 09:01 AM

Using a bike rack?

pacificobob - 4-21-2020 at 10:50 AM

One of my pickups is a f150 w/a 3.5L eco boost.
It gets an awesome 22mpg in mixed driving......
Until i ask it to do some truck stuff, a really light towing load will reduce the mpg by half.

elgatoloco - 4-21-2020 at 04:09 PM

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy perusing CR for info.

Aerodynamics (science) for the win! :saint:

My wife has a small SVU and a hitch rack. :dudette:

mtgoat666 - 4-21-2020 at 04:22 PM

modern vehicles are all designed to slip thru the air with least resistance. roof racks and hitch racks do defeat the aerodynamics.

and the take-away from this story is that bicyclists are causing as much global warming as fat people :light: :!: :light: :!: :light: :!: :light:

p.s. driving 55 will save fuel relative to driving 85 :light::light::light::light::light: :biggrin:

John Harper - 4-21-2020 at 06:46 PM

Are those fat tire beach cruisers, or skinny tire road bikes on the racks? What altitude were they testing at? Hot day or cold day? High tide, or low tide? Going uphill or downhill? Headwind or tailwind? What kind of lattes were in the cup holders?

Is DK's tree still above water?

Too many questions for this to be a valid study.;););) Fake news!

John

AKgringo - 4-21-2020 at 08:01 PM

I still have my dad's old 79 Ford that he bought to haul a cab over camper all over Mexico. That big old 460 didn't care if it was loaded with that big heavy box, or rolling down the road empty, it was pretty consistent at 8 miles to the gallon!

Ouch!....it is in non-op status now.

PaulW - 4-22-2020 at 06:53 AM

Ha
It is a rack test not a rack with an included bicycle.
==== =
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Are those fat tire beach cruisers, or skinny tire road bikes on the racks? What altitude were they testing at? Hot day or cold day? High tide, or low tide? Going uphill or downhill? Headwind or tailwind? What kind of lattes were in the cup holders?

Is DK's tree still above water?

Too many questions for this to be a valid study.;););) Fake news!

John

David K - 4-22-2020 at 08:31 AM

The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations. Well, an asteroid could hit the earth or the Yellowstone volcano could blow... then all bets are off! One thing is for sure (as history has shown), human activity does not change the sea level or stop the natural change!

TMW - 4-22-2020 at 11:35 AM

When gas is cheap it doesn't matter what you drive or the MPG you get.
The best MPG you will ever get is when your vehicle is setting in the drive way with the engine off.

BornFisher - 4-22-2020 at 11:38 AM

I love buying gas. It means I`m moving!

SFandH - 4-22-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations.

The palm trees. The photo was taken in November from my boat.

20191116_073328.jpg - 90kB

SFandH - 4-22-2020 at 12:06 PM

The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations. Well, an asteroid could hit the earth or the Yellowstone volcano could blow... then all bets are off! One thing is for sure (as history has shown), human activity does not change the sea level or stop the natural change!

Sea level rise at El Burro:

20191116_074426.jpg - 64kB

Alm - 4-22-2020 at 12:08 PM

Compact hatchback with 1 bike inside, back seat lowered:

Reduction in MPG = 0.

Edit-PS: actually works if it's a regular sedan as well, not a hatchback. The opening behind the back seat is wide enough for that. Front wheel off.

[Edited on 4-22-2020 by Alm]

David K - 4-22-2020 at 12:14 PM

Yep, and a few hours later the tide was back down.
A couple times a year there are extreme lunar tides... Always have been and always will be.
It is a bit scary when the sea creeps up to your tent or cabana... but just wait and it will be back down.

pacificobob - 4-22-2020 at 12:50 PM

Lunar tides? I was unaware that other types existed. Such a wealth of scientific knowledge.
Thanks david.

David K - 4-22-2020 at 02:46 PM

Thanks Lencho...
I have lived or camped on the ocean 95% of my life... so events like lunar tides, Spring tides, etc. do not mystify me. The drama they create are a lot of fun... but real sea-level change will not be a rare, annual event. It will be an every day event.
Stay well!

mtgoat666 - 4-22-2020 at 03:37 PM

It is a bit scary when the sea creeps up to your tent or cabana... but just wait and it will be back down.

well, over time it wont "be back down" quite as much.
with sea level rise the low, mean and high tides ALL get higher.
fact :light:

Since at least the start of the 20th century, the average global sea level has been rising. Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm (6.3–8.3 in).] More precise data gathered from satellite radar measurements reveal an accelerating rise of 7.5 cm (3.0 in) from 1993 to 2017, which is a trend of roughly 30 cm (12 in) per century. This acceleration is due mostly to human-caused global warming, which is driving thermal expansion of seawater and the melting of land-based ice sheets and glaciers. Between 1993 and 2018, thermal expansion of the oceans contributed 42% to sea level rise; the melting of temperate glaciers, 21%; Greenland, 15%; and Antarctica, 8%

[Edited on 4-22-2020 by mtgoat666]

David K - 4-22-2020 at 04:20 PM

Sure, 6" when the daily tide rises and drops 10 to 20 vertical feet is not too scary.

Does that keep you up at night?

Does giving tax money to government agencies change that?

However, just how accurate was measurement made in 1900???

How do you compare measuring sticks in the water with satellite radar or laser measuring?

How about, in our amazing abilities, simply adapt to whatever changes when we need to? Animals sure do... they move to higher ground!

Sea Level.jpg - 51kB

John Harper - 4-22-2020 at 04:29 PM

Sorry folks, it was just a (poor) joke. Did not mean to start up the "Palm Tree Debates" again. My bad.

John

Think Positive

MrBillM - 4-22-2020 at 05:04 PM

No Worries.

If the Virus doesn't do it, something else is going to kill ALL of us here before Climate Change does.

pacificobob - 4-23-2020 at 04:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Lunar tides? I was unaware that other types existed. Such a wealth of scientific knowledge.
Thanks david.
If that was snide sarcasm, it bit you back. :light:

Tides are periodic rises and falls of large bodies of water. Tides are caused by the gravitational interaction between the Earth and the Moon. The gravitational attraction of the moon causes the oceans to bulge out in the direction of the moon. ...

David K - 4-23-2020 at 08:40 AM

Now you're cooking with fire! :light::biggrin:

bajamedic - 4-23-2020 at 10:22 AM

Sooo, back to the MPG discussion... on my last trip to my place in Arizona, I found it strange that if I kept the transmission out of Overdrive, I got better MPG. I am driving a 2020 Tacoma, V6, 6 Speed Auto, 4X4, traveling empty. Traveling from Northern California to Arizona, I travel mostly around 76-77 MPH with the Cruise Control. My mileage during the first part of my trip, just letting the truck computer do it's thing I got 14-16 MPG. After three tanks of gas and manual MPG calculation, I moved my shifter to keep the transmission out of 6th gear and increasing my RPMs, my MPG jumped back up to 20-22 MPG over the next three tanks of gas and keeping the same speed. Hmmmm ??? JH

AKgringo - 4-23-2020 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
Sooo, back to the MPG discussion... on my last trip to my place in Arizona, I found it strange that if I kept the transmission out of Overdrive, I got better MPG. I am driving a 2020 Tacoma, V6, 6 Speed Auto, 4X4, traveling empty.

Interesting! Are you running stock tires, or a taller size? I know with my under powered Kia with oversize tires, my engine seems happier in 4th gear than in 5th. Even slight grades, or a head wind takes a toll on the mileage compared to the recommended stock size.

Maderita - 4-23-2020 at 10:57 AM

bajamedic, That is a significant difference in mileage! It sounds like your engine is working too hard in 6th gear to maintain that speed, requiring an almost wide-open throttle. There are a few other variables. Are your tires taller than OEM? That would be like giving your truck a 7th gear (too much overdrive). Anything that disturbs the aerodynamics at that speed will have dramatic negative effects. Not just bike racks. Grille guard, winch bumper, lumber rack, shell, headwind, etc.
If you run tall tires on your truck, perhaps think about re-gearing with new ring & pinion sets (both axles for a 4x4).

bajamedic - 4-23-2020 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
bajamedic, That is a significant difference in mileage! It sounds like your engine is working too hard in 6th gear to maintain that speed, requiring an almost wide-open throttle. There are a few other variables. Are your tires taller than OEM? That would be like giving your truck a 7th gear (too much overdrive). Anything that disturbs the aerodynamics at that speed will have dramatic negative effects. Not just bike racks. Grille guard, winch bumper, lumber rack, shell, headwind, etc.
If you run tall tires on your truck, perhaps think about re-gearing with new ring & pinion sets (both axles for a 4x4).

I am running the OEM Stock Tires, air pressure was good, nothing more than my travel bag in the back seat, nothing added on... around 10,000 miles on the odometer. JH

David K - 4-23-2020 at 01:26 PM

I would pose this event on Tacoma World forums...
It is very interesting, indeed. I suppose if you were doing a lot of uphill or mountain curves, dropping down one speed gear may be logical. It would keep the tranny from "hunting" for the best gear to maintain your speed. I don't know enough about the 3rd Gen Atkinson 3.5 litre engine or 6-speed transmission to try and guess.

My Tacoma is older (a 2nd Gen), 5 speed auto, 4.0 V-6. 15-20 mpg is my range typically but only over 18 being very careful on California's terrible, ethanol-diluted gas.. not a problem using Mexico's ethanol-free gas.

AKgringo - 4-23-2020 at 01:42 PM

Maybe the computer is getting bad info from a sensor! With only 10,000 miles, it may be something that could be resolved under warrantee. Any recalls on that model?

David K - 4-23-2020 at 01:49 PM

I posted the question on Tacoma World. It is interesting enough that I want to know. Tacoma World is so huge, I took a shot on which forum to ask in... Results may vary!
:light::biggrin:

Maderita - 4-23-2020 at 07:44 PM

That new V6 makes peak horsepower and torque at rather high RPM.
According to Toyota: 278 hp @ 6000 rpm / 265 lb.-ft. @ 4600 rpm
That might explain why it doesn't find it's "sweet spot" of efficiency in overdrive.

AKgringo - 4-23-2020 at 07:57 PM

Another possibility is that the transmission my be slipping in overdrive. I would think you would be able to tell if it was slipping, but maybe not.

David K - 4-24-2020 at 07:25 AM

Only one reply (so far) on Tacoma World:

I have noticed similar data, and for me, it was when climbing, even a shallow, but long grades. In the highest gear, the engine is just working a little too hard, and it runs more efficient, down a gear. On a flat surface, or going downhill, then overdrive works great.

PaulW - 4-24-2020 at 07:56 AM

Seems the observations are not logical. Possibility is Toyota has not got the software correct?
BTW, does the latest generation have more than one drive mode for the operator to select?

John Harper - 4-29-2020 at 06:00 AM

bajamedic,

Your results are quite interesting. Considering the higher RPM in a lower gear, which is basically more cylinders firing in a given time. That should result in lower MPG, one would think. IDK.

I keep my V6 Ranger in D around town, only OD when on the highway. Grades I encounter on highway I drop back into D.

16-18 around town (D)
21-24 highway/road trips (OD/D)

John

pacificobob - 4-29-2020 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
No Worries.

If the Virus doesn't do it, something else is going to kill ALL of us here before Climate Change does.

I agree...if by your statement you meant most of us here are well north of 50yrs.
If there was somewhere in the next 30 years a hard frost in August, followed by famine i dare say that might count as a climate change die-off.
Impossible? Nope.

bajamedic - 4-29-2020 at 03:01 PM

I am planning to make the same trip back to Arizona when people stop panicking over C19, I will try the ECT mode to see if that gives a different effect on my mileage. JH

StuckSucks - 4-30-2020 at 01:22 PM

When you drive an aerodynamic brick, bike racks aren't a real concern. At the top of Corkscrew Pass, CO.

StuckSucks - 4-30-2020 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
BTW, does the latest generation have more than one drive mode for the operator to select?

This is what is in my 2019 - it feels like something which you'd call a "Sport Mode" -- more responsive, quicker.

"ECT is an acronym for Electronically Controlled Transmission and the ECT PWR button is a function of the redesigned transmission. When pressed, the ECT PWR button will adjust shift points so you can reach higher RPM levels before shifting into the next gear."

David K - 4-30-2020 at 02:00 PM

What do the other two buttons mean and do?

StuckSucks - 4-30-2020 at 03:58 PM

What do the other two buttons mean and do?

The left one is blind spot monitoring. The one on the right is parking assist -- it keeps me from backing into sailboats.