PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 09:01 AM
MPG trivia

Using a bike rack?
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 10:50 AM

One of my pickups is a f150 w/a 3.5L eco boost.
It gets an awesome 22mpg in mixed driving......
Until i ask it to do some truck stuff, a really light towing load will reduce the mpg by half.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 04:09 PM

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

I enjoy perusing CR for info.

Aerodynamics (science) for the win! :saint:

My wife has a small SVU and a hitch rack. :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 04:22 PM

modern vehicles are all designed to slip thru the air with least resistance. roof racks and hitch racks do defeat the aerodynamics.

and the take-away from this story is that bicyclists are causing as much global warming as fat people :light: :!: :light: :!: :light: :!: :light:

p.s. driving 55 will save fuel relative to driving 85 :light::light::light::light::light: :biggrin:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 06:46 PM

Are those fat tire beach cruisers, or skinny tire road bikes on the racks? What altitude were they testing at? Hot day or cold day? High tide, or low tide? Going uphill or downhill? Headwind or tailwind? What kind of lattes were in the cup holders?

Is DK's tree still above water?

Too many questions for this to be a valid study.;););) Fake news!

John
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-21-2020 at 08:01 PM

I still have my dad's old 79 Ford that he bought to haul a cab over camper all over Mexico. That big old 460 didn't care if it was loaded with that big heavy box, or rolling down the road empty, it was pretty consistent at 8 miles to the gallon!

Ouch!....it is in non-op status now.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 06:53 AM

Ha
It is a rack test not a rack with an included bicycle.
==== =
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Are those fat tire beach cruisers, or skinny tire road bikes on the racks? What altitude were they testing at? Hot day or cold day? High tide, or low tide? Going uphill or downhill? Headwind or tailwind? What kind of lattes were in the cup holders?

Is DK's tree still above water?

Too many questions for this to be a valid study.;););) Fake news!

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 08:31 AM

The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations. Well, an asteroid could hit the earth or the Yellowstone volcano could blow... then all bets are off! One thing is for sure (as history has shown), human activity does not change the sea level or stop the natural change!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 11:35 AM

When gas is cheap it doesn't matter what you drive or the MPG you get.
The best MPG you will ever get is when your vehicle is setting in the drive way with the engine off.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 11:38 AM

I love buying gas. It means I`m moving!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations.

The palm trees. The photo was taken in November from my boat.

20191116_073328.jpg - 90kB

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 12:06 PM

The tree may someday be in the water, but not for many generations. Well, an asteroid could hit the earth or the Yellowstone volcano could blow... then all bets are off! One thing is for sure (as history has shown), human activity does not change the sea level or stop the natural change!

Sea level rise at El Burro:

20191116_074426.jpg - 64kB

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 12:08 PM

Compact hatchback with 1 bike inside, back seat lowered:

Reduction in MPG = 0.

Edit-PS: actually works if it's a regular sedan as well, not a hatchback. The opening behind the back seat is wide enough for that. Front wheel off.

[Edited on 4-22-2020 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 12:14 PM

Yep, and a few hours later the tide was back down.
A couple times a year there are extreme lunar tides... Always have been and always will be.
It is a bit scary when the sea creeps up to your tent or cabana... but just wait and it will be back down.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 12:50 PM

Lunar tides? I was unaware that other types existed. Such a wealth of scientific knowledge.
Thanks david.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 02:46 PM

Thanks Lencho...
I have lived or camped on the ocean 95% of my life... so events like lunar tides, Spring tides, etc. do not mystify me. The drama they create are a lot of fun... but real sea-level change will not be a rare, annual event. It will be an every day event.
Stay well!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 03:37 PM

It is a bit scary when the sea creeps up to your tent or cabana... but just wait and it will be back down.

well, over time it wont "be back down" quite as much.
with sea level rise the low, mean and high tides ALL get higher.
fact :light:

Since at least the start of the 20th century, the average global sea level has been rising. Between 1900 and 2016, the sea level rose by 16–21 cm (6.3–8.3 in).] More precise data gathered from satellite radar measurements reveal an accelerating rise of 7.5 cm (3.0 in) from 1993 to 2017, which is a trend of roughly 30 cm (12 in) per century. This acceleration is due mostly to human-caused global warming, which is driving thermal expansion of seawater and the melting of land-based ice sheets and glaciers. Between 1993 and 2018, thermal expansion of the oceans contributed 42% to sea level rise; the melting of temperate glaciers, 21%; Greenland, 15%; and Antarctica, 8%

[Edited on 4-22-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 04:20 PM

Sure, 6" when the daily tide rises and drops 10 to 20 vertical feet is not too scary.

Does that keep you up at night?

Does giving tax money to government agencies change that?

However, just how accurate was measurement made in 1900???

How do you compare measuring sticks in the water with satellite radar or laser measuring?

How about, in our amazing abilities, simply adapt to whatever changes when we need to? Animals sure do... they move to higher ground!

Sea Level.jpg - 51kB

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 04:29 PM

Sorry folks, it was just a (poor) joke. Did not mean to start up the "Palm Tree Debates" again. My bad.

John
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-22-2020 at 05:04 PM
Think Positive

No Worries.

If the Virus doesn't do it, something else is going to kill ALL of us here before Climate Change does.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.