BajaNomad

Tesla pickup

Stickers - 5-27-2020 at 09:34 PM

Just saw Jay Leno test drive it on his TV show. Musk said the entire truck will be bullet proof.

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by Stickers]

mtgoat666 - 5-27-2020 at 11:29 PM

Toyotas, Fords, Chevies are for old people.
Be cool. Get on the list. Buy the Tesla.

SFandH - 5-28-2020 at 05:07 AM

Half the year I don't have access to enough electricity to charge one up. I wonder what the specs of a solar system big enough to do the job would be.

PaulW - 5-28-2020 at 05:54 AM

Only one place in San Felipe to charge you EV. So far no EV's seen in San Felipe, just hybrids.

TMW - 5-28-2020 at 07:00 AM

Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.

John Harper - 5-28-2020 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.

And don't forget a large auxiliary fuel tank to run the generator!

John

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2020 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Go ahead and laugh at and dismiss the Tesla and e-vehicles,...
I am sure some of your ancestors were horse and buggy drivers that laughed at and dismissed the horseless carriage,...

SFandH - 5-28-2020 at 07:59 AM

I don't think anybody is laughing about it. It's just that this is Baja message board and in many places, the electricity and/or charging stations to charge the vehicles are not available and gasoline is.

John Harper - 5-28-2020 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

I am sure some of your ancestors were horse and buggy drivers that laughed at and dismissed the horseless carriage,...

At least my ancestors had a sense of humor.

John

Having a Laugh ?

MrBillM - 5-28-2020 at 08:42 AM

It IS (purposely ?) kinda funny-looking.

More importantly, it doesn't look to be very utilitarian. The FIRST consideration in a pickup truck is its versatility and adaptability to doing THE job.

Although, not a comparison technology-wise, an earlier edition of a avant-garde take on pickup design was the Chevrolet SSR which (deservedly) failed to find a meaningful niche in the market.

BTW, while there may have been those back in the Horsey days who (correctly) thought that the autos of the first decade or so were laughable, there were vast numbers who were apprehensive regarding the "ugly, noisy, undependable, dirty and dangerous contraptions". Like many (most ?) technological transformations, it was a difficult transition. It's easy to look back with amusement at those long past societal changes without realizing how difficult that they were.

motoged - 5-28-2020 at 08:49 AM

Pick-ups have been an increasingly popular urban vehicle.....many not being used for true utility applications, but rather for their "cachet".

Lots of beefed up trucks on the road that don't get the bed dirty.

Some even have those fancy schmancy valve-stem pressure gizmos that make them faster..... and WAY cooler. :coolup:

caj13 - 5-28-2020 at 08:51 AM

Hey Mr. Bill,
as a matter of fact they are specifically designed to "look Funny". The design is dictated by the manufacturing process. turns out bending one piece of SS several times, well that keeps and adds strength, instead of welding on a bunch of thin flimsy stamped out parts. and by doing it that way, the tool cost per vehicle drops drastically (If you are not familiar with the concept of Tool costs, educate yourself, it turns out its a big reason your F350 costs so much) and leaving the body 'unpained - thats save huge costs, and time, and eliminates wz whole plethera of environmental control issues for the manufacturer.

as for capabilities: lets see, 400 mile range, loads of torque, 0-60 in under 3 seconds - towing capacity 11000 lbs, bullet proof body panels, built in loading ramps, 100 cubic foot enclosed secure climate-controlled bed space, 6.5 foot long bed, 4 wheel air adjustable suspension, 120 & 240 plugs built in - yeah all of that says urban grocery hauler - this aint no working mans truck! yup pretty primitive.

Like my wise old grandpa always said!
"I'll stick with my good old dependable Conestoga wagon, my horses can graze anywhere, I don't need to search for that rare commodity gasoline to power those infernal IC powered vehicles! In a few years, the fad will pass, and everyone will be admiring me and my judgment for sticking to my horse-drawn wagon!"

Building charging stations in Baja powered off wind and solar - no brainer, it will be done to keep up with the demand. there was a time gasoline was rare in baja - somehow someone figured that out - right?

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by caj13]

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by caj13]

Bob and Susan - 5-28-2020 at 08:57 AM

yup...bullet proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGf8pqCZi0&feature=emb_...

caj13 - 5-28-2020 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
yup...bullet proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGf8pqCZi0&feature=emb_...

ah - never understood the concept of a prototype eh?
I'm sure they will never figure it out, after all, its not like they are a bunch of rocket scientists making NASA engineers look like monkeys with their successes in space travel innovations!

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Pick-ups have been an increasingly popular urban vehicle.....many not being used for true utility applications, but rather for their "cachet".

i dont think anyone ever thought pickups impart cachet to the driver or owner. it is more an attempt by white collar driver to be a weekend blue collar man :lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 5-28-2020 at 10:29 AM

Chicks dig it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/01/27/women-say-theyre-most-attracted-to-guys-driving-pickups/#551341337a13

4x4abc - 5-28-2020 at 11:10 AM

to keep your minds busy for a while - Tesla has an office in La Paz. Solar Power.
Since many of you don't know what Google is:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=tesla...

chuckie - 5-28-2020 at 11:48 AM

Farmers will buy them. Few of them drive400miles perday..Tesla has everything, For long trips they use Moms town car...

Electric...Gasoline...Diesel?

AKgringo - 5-28-2020 at 12:09 PM

If you are talking about a new truck, one set up to explore Baja is going to set you back about 50 or 60 grand!

It will be eight or ten years before one of those Cyber trucks is in the age range that I shop for. By then you pioneers will have identified the weak spots, and the work arounds!

Stickers - 5-28-2020 at 12:18 PM

I think they noted that the Tesla pickup would have one, two or three engines? Not sure what that means but obviously hybrid could be an option although I don’t think any other Tesla’s are hybrids.

PaulW - 5-28-2020 at 12:20 PM

No hybrid Teslas, however as an option one can buy a gasoline driven generator with integrated fuel tank to install in a Tesla car.

BajaNomad - 5-28-2020 at 12:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Stickers  
Just saw Jay Leno test drive it on his TV show. Musk said the entire truck will be bullet proof.

We watched too. What came to mind first when he said that was "to what degree", and that perhaps it might be something some bad guys might want to see if they can acquire, legitimately or not. Is it super safe, or super risky?

:?::?:

Stickers - 5-28-2020 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

We watched too. What came to mind first when he said that was "to what degree", and that perhaps it might be something some bad guys might want to see if they can acquire, legitimately or not. Is it super safe, or super risky?

:?::?:

Well if bad guys use this truck they will be the most visible on the road. Easy to spot and identify.

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2020 at 01:06 PM

I think they noted that the Tesla pickup would have one, two or three engines? Not sure what that means but obviously hybrid could be an option although I don’t think any other Tesla’s are hybrids.

the teslas have motors. not engines.

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.

Bob and Susan - 5-28-2020 at 01:26 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BH8edQVZ4

bajatrailrider - 5-28-2020 at 02:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

bajatrailrider - 5-28-2020 at 02:25 PM

Overpriced worthless in Baja be the first to buy one. Then be towed back by a Dodge to California.

Stickers - 5-28-2020 at 02:40 PM

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.[/rquote]

Yes, it is probably a choice of three different electric motors. They mentioned that it could tow a large load or get over 500 miles per charge so must have motor size options.

LancairDriver - 5-28-2020 at 02:41 PM

Here’s one solution.

BF699F3B-AB95-4068-9E33-95F4C3CF2AC9.jpeg - 48kB

Towing a Tesla

AKgringo - 5-28-2020 at 02:44 PM

If you had to tow one of those cyber trucks, can the wheels be made to rotate freely, or are they always engaged to the motors?

motoged - 5-28-2020 at 02:52 PM

"For real" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKOA7XeGXNw#:~:text=The%20real%20difference%20is%20the,a%20specific%20type%20of%20motor.

LancairDriver - 5-28-2020 at 02:53 PM

You can’t tow any Tesla wheels down. The electric motors regenerate power back to the battery under normal deceleration which adds a little power. However towing would generate too much power and over stress the Control system so Tesla states no towing. Will void any warranty.

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2020 at 03:01 PM

a hybrid tesla would be ridiculous. you want hybrid, perhaps ford or chevy is selling those in pickup form.[/rquote]

Yes, it is probably a choice of three different electric motors. They mentioned that it could tow a large load or get over 500 miles per charge so must have motor size options.

the 2wd model has one motor
there will be 2 AWD models, one with 2 motors, and one with 3 motors.

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2020 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Overpriced worthless in Baja be the first to buy one. Then be towed back by a Dodge to California.

there are destination chargers all up and down baja (e.g. mission santa maria hotel, catavina hotel, terra sal hotel, la huerta hotel).
there is one supercharger in ensenada (hotel coral)

AKgringo - 5-28-2020 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
You can’t tow any Tesla wheels down. The electric motors regenerate power back to the battery under normal deceleration which adds a little power. However towing would generate too much power and over stress the Control system so Tesla states no towing. Will void any warranty.

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding of how the system worked, but did not know if there was something as simple as "locking hubs" that could be put in a free position for towing.

That would be my first suggestion to Elon Musk if he wanted to improve his off road vehicle appeal.

Chicks Dig It ?

MrBillM - 5-28-2020 at 06:49 PM

Back in '68-'69 living on the beach, a good friend was car-shopping and considering a Corvette or an XKE.

The Jag salesman's spiel was that, regardless of the price difference and no matter how great he (and his buddies) thought the powerful Vette was ................ the XKE was a P-ssy magnet.

He bought the Jag.

Made sense to me.

Back then, of course, most sports cars WERE the chick magnets. Even my Sprite and MGA. There wasn't anything sexy about pickups .

[Edited on 5-29-2020 by MrBillM]

white whale - 5-29-2020 at 01:00 PM

caught the episode too. "bullet proof" screams marketing campaigns only.
It will be the $5K option at the store.

He's such a visionary but I just see Elon coming down hard one day. He should have been taken down for the "pedo" guy comment and then he had the 420 share price fiasco. His covid claims lately too. He has built a cult of personality with fan boys and girls that rivals the MAGA scene. One day a skeleton will emerge - it always does.

Not even on the Covid page but in general , $5 gas is better than $2 in the Tesla world. Biggest question however- can Tesla decrease their burn rate of cash while at the same time dealing with EVERY car company on the planet coming out with potentially better and cheaper electric cars?
The other question when you scratch below the surface is who REALLY owns these cars?

Tesla towing the genny - classic !
Next up Starlink.

PaulW - 5-29-2020 at 02:09 PM

Just reporting real info
Cost to build a Model 3 28k. List price 44.5k.
No cash burn for those numbers.
Model X and Y are even more profitable.
Competitors are now estimating they are 5 years behind Tesla for manufacturing and engineering. And no competitors have charging infrastructure. They depend on others for that detail.

Funny how the liberals think while ignoring the real info.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2020 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
The other question when you scratch below the surface is who REALLY owns these cars?

20% of my neighbors drive e-vehicles. 3 of 20 houses on my street drive teslas. 1 drives a leaf.
They may be delusional, but they all think they own them.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2020 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Just reporting real info
Competitors are now estimating they are 5 years behind Tesla for manufacturing and engineering. And no competitors have charging infrastructure. They depend on others for that detail.

So what if they make a profit? It’s the ‘Merican way!
Ford makes big bucks selling f-150s
You want cheap, buy a used camry!

white whale - 5-29-2020 at 07:33 PM

There are a bunch of players in private network charging biz. Might not be the supercharger speed now but that will change.

Once they figure out how to electrify the roads with solar power then you then you can officially tell the Saudi's to pound sand once and for all. Make oil a domestic product instead of a commodity.

If the Telsa pickup changes attitudes I'd love to see them on the road everywhere. They just had the first long distance electric airplane flight the other day too.

Stickers - 5-29-2020 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Just reporting real info

I saw an article the other day that Tesla posted a one billion dollar loss for 2019. A few years ago read that they were losing 100 million dollars per week.

PaulW - 5-29-2020 at 07:58 PM

Read up. It is all about accounting methods. The media chooses to report the most negative possible result in order to get the most eyes and ratings.
I do not know which method is best, but the people buying the stock probably know best.

caj13 - 5-30-2020 at 07:42 AM

Next up Starlink.

You might want to educate yourself on 30X SS, before you go making claims about "5K option" etc.
In general: spouting BS as fact doesn't make it fact, instead, it reveals that you have no idea what you are talking about!

white whale - 5-30-2020 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Next up Starlink.

You might want to educate yourself on 30X SS, before you go making claims about "5K option" etc.
In general: spouting BS as fact doesn't make it fact, instead, it reveals that you have no idea what you are talking about!

WHOOOP WWWHHOOP FAN BOY ALERT WHOOPP WHOOOP
What price are you averaged at? 7, 750? Not 9?

Actually I was just referring to the glass. That fake roll out presser with the busted glass was brilliant. I think the guy is fantastic, with all the things he has hands in. On the vehicle side I just think it's to early to crown him Henry Ford of 21st century. If the auto pilot semi's really do happen then I will crown him myself.

What would be really great would be a spat between him and 45. And with the notice yesterday of 45 deciding a cold war offensive with China
is good for domestic votes we might get it.

In general: my facts are better than alternative facts.