Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Tesla pickup
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2020 at 09:34 PM
Tesla pickup

Just saw Jay Leno test drive it on his TV show. Musk said the entire truck will be bullet proof.

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by Stickers]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-27-2020 at 11:29 PM

Toyotas, Fords, Chevies are for old people.
Be cool. Get on the list. Buy the Tesla.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 05:07 AM

Half the year I don't have access to enough electricity to charge one up. I wonder what the specs of a solar system big enough to do the job would be.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 05:54 AM

Only one place in San Felipe to charge you EV. So far no EV's seen in San Felipe, just hybrids.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 07:00 AM

Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Buy a generator capable of charging it and mount it into the bed of the truck. Then you can go anywhere even off road.

And don't forget a large auxiliary fuel tank to run the generator!

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Go ahead and laugh at and dismiss the Tesla and e-vehicles,...
I am sure some of your ancestors were horse and buggy drivers that laughed at and dismissed the horseless carriage,...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 07:59 AM

I don't think anybody is laughing about it. It's just that this is Baja message board and in many places, the electricity and/or charging stations to charge the vehicles are not available and gasoline is.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Go ahead and laugh at and dismiss the Tesla and e-vehicles,...
I am sure some of your ancestors were horse and buggy drivers that laughed at and dismissed the horseless carriage,...

At least my ancestors had a sense of humor.

John
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 08:42 AM
Having a Laugh ?

It IS (purposely ?) kinda funny-looking.

More importantly, it doesn't look to be very utilitarian. The FIRST consideration in a pickup truck is its versatility and adaptability to doing THE job.

Although, not a comparison technology-wise, an earlier edition of a avant-garde take on pickup design was the Chevrolet SSR which (deservedly) failed to find a meaningful niche in the market.

BTW, while there may have been those back in the Horsey days who (correctly) thought that the autos of the first decade or so were laughable, there were vast numbers who were apprehensive regarding the "ugly, noisy, undependable, dirty and dangerous contraptions". Like many (most ?) technological transformations, it was a difficult transition. It's easy to look back with amusement at those long past societal changes without realizing how difficult that they were.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 08:49 AM

Pick-ups have been an increasingly popular urban vehicle.....many not being used for true utility applications, but rather for their "cachet".

Lots of beefed up trucks on the road that don't get the bed dirty.

Some even have those fancy schmancy valve-stem pressure gizmos that make them faster..... and WAY cooler. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 08:51 AM

Hey Mr. Bill,
as a matter of fact they are specifically designed to "look Funny". The design is dictated by the manufacturing process. turns out bending one piece of SS several times, well that keeps and adds strength, instead of welding on a bunch of thin flimsy stamped out parts. and by doing it that way, the tool cost per vehicle drops drastically (If you are not familiar with the concept of Tool costs, educate yourself, it turns out its a big reason your F350 costs so much) and leaving the body 'unpained - thats save huge costs, and time, and eliminates wz whole plethera of environmental control issues for the manufacturer.

as for capabilities: lets see, 400 mile range, loads of torque, 0-60 in under 3 seconds - towing capacity 11000 lbs, bullet proof body panels, built in loading ramps, 100 cubic foot enclosed secure climate-controlled bed space, 6.5 foot long bed, 4 wheel air adjustable suspension, 120 & 240 plugs built in - yeah all of that says urban grocery hauler - this aint no working mans truck! yup pretty primitive.

Like my wise old grandpa always said!
"I'll stick with my good old dependable Conestoga wagon, my horses can graze anywhere, I don't need to search for that rare commodity gasoline to power those infernal IC powered vehicles! In a few years, the fad will pass, and everyone will be admiring me and my judgment for sticking to my horse-drawn wagon!"

Building charging stations in Baja powered off wind and solar - no brainer, it will be done to keep up with the demand. there was a time gasoline was rare in baja - somehow someone figured that out - right?

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by caj13]

[Edited on 5-28-2020 by caj13]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 08:57 AM

yup...bullet proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGf8pqCZi0&feature=emb_...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
yup...bullet proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGf8pqCZi0&feature=emb_...

ah - never understood the concept of a prototype eh?
I'm sure they will never figure it out, after all, its not like they are a bunch of rocket scientists making NASA engineers look like monkeys with their successes in space travel innovations!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Pick-ups have been an increasingly popular urban vehicle.....many not being used for true utility applications, but rather for their "cachet".

i dont think anyone ever thought pickups impart cachet to the driver or owner. it is more an attempt by white collar driver to be a weekend blue collar man :lol::lol::lol:

Woke!

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 10:29 AM

Chicks dig it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/01/27/women-say-theyre-most-attracted-to-guys-driving-pickups/#551341337a13

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 11:10 AM

to keep your minds busy for a while - Tesla has an office in La Paz. Solar Power.
Since many of you don't know what Google is:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=tesla...

Harald Pietschmann
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 11:48 AM

Farmers will buy them. Few of them drive400miles perday..Tesla has everything, For long trips they use Moms town car...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 12:09 PM
Electric...Gasoline...Diesel?

If you are talking about a new truck, one set up to explore Baja is going to set you back about 50 or 60 grand!

It will be eight or ten years before one of those Cyber trucks is in the age range that I shop for. By then you pioneers will have identified the weak spots, and the work arounds!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2020 at 12:18 PM

I think they noted that the Tesla pickup would have one, two or three engines? Not sure what that means but obviously hybrid could be an option although I don’t think any other Tesla’s are hybrids.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.