BajaNomad

Just pulled the trigger on our first Baja trip since Jan 2020

JZ - 8-25-2020 at 04:19 PM

Three of us flying down from LA. Two, maybe three, of my friends coming over from Sonora.

Weather should be great that time of year. Taking the bikes, zodiac, and truck down 2 weeks before, and then flying back to LA.

It feels really good to support the economy and not live in fear. Planning two more trips for November and again in Dec/Jan.

chippy - 8-25-2020 at 04:47 PM

Cool! I hope it all works out. I plan on letting the people that live down there tell me if I´m wanted or not. Not peeps nob that have no clue. I´ll be earlier than you in oct. but could cross paths in nov?
Saludos

JZ - 8-25-2020 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Cool! I hope it all works out. I plan on letting the people that live down there tell me if I´m wanted or not. Not peeps nob that have no clue. I´ll be earlier than you in oct. but could cross paths in nov?
Saludos

Yeah, I have some friends in Loreto. They really want us to come.

We aren't going to a foam party at a bar or anything, so I'm pretty sure all will be "ok."

BajaBlanca - 8-25-2020 at 06:45 PM

I will be interested to see what Loreto peeps say. La Bocana is all open but also have zero cases of covid 19.

motoged - 8-25-2020 at 07:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I will be interested to see what Loreto peeps say.

He doesn't care :rolleyes:

JZ - 8-25-2020 at 07:23 PM

I will be interested to see what Loreto peeps say. La Bocana is all open but also have zero cases of covid 19.

We hope to be down about 6-7 weeks over a 3-4 month period.

Would love to come see you guys if you think it's cool?

Lee - 8-25-2020 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
It feels really good to support the economy and not live in fear. Planning two more trips for November and again in Dec/Jan.

Your attitudes and beliefs are crystal clear. I can't imagine anyone here thinking you live in fear, esp. about the virus. Fine with me. Have at it.

I'm puzzled, though, as to why you point out to this forum, in many posts, that you don't live in fear? And then point out, in an accusatory manner, that people who have concerns about the virus are sheep, and live in fear because they believe the state dept. assertion that travel SOB is restricted to essential people.

I get the impression you're trying to provoke people here. Why?

paranewbi - 8-26-2020 at 05:25 AM

Not far behind you JZ...just a few days later and a different coast line in Mex.

Thought of canceling not long ago and speaking to the people I will be around in their land... they all said to not do that. They want and need those of us who will come, to come. They reassured me that the level of care in social contacts was just as strong where they were as that of the US...even maybe more so from what they had seen on media.

I watched several YouTube postings of recent travelers doing what we were going to do. The level of safety was impressive and illustrated their desire to get travelers back to their area.

To those on this board that protest JZ's advocacy of traveling and living without fear as a guidance... It seems to me he is at least as diligent in understanding all angles and implications prior to making decisions and the testament is that he does and returns from travels that carry a level of risk.

To question his vocal advocacy when the greater onslaught is actually condemnation... is an illustration of bias, not a seeking of understanding. And that's where fear takes you... nowhere.

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 06:16 AM

There's a difference between being careful, cautious and being afraid, anxious. Saying people who have decided it's best to not travel are people living in fear is wrong. Such people are being careful to not get infected and infect others. They are being cautious. A smart way to be, especially if you're 60 or over.

[Edited on 8-26-2020 by SFandH]

chippy - 8-26-2020 at 07:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Jed if there are filtros that aren´t allowing national tourism in I will happily respect that. I havn´t seen filtros down here for many months. I know that BCS is open for tourism as I am booked on the ferry and in a couple of hotels. I don´t know why Loreto would be any different.

[Edited on 8-26-2020 by chippy]

JZ - 8-26-2020 at 08:38 AM

Loreto isn't different. You can fly there. Hotels are open.

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 08:50 AM

Why won't you answer Lee's question ?

Afraid?

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 09:09 AM

Jed if there are filtros that aren´t allowing national tourism in I will happily respect that. I havn´t seen filtros down here for many months. I know that BCS is open for tourism as I am booked on the ferry and in a couple of hotels. I don´t know why Loreto would be any different.

There were no "filtros" for Sturgis and a lot of folks thought it was a good idea to show up.... social consciousness could be a filtro ....but one needs to have it to apply it.

Lee nailed it with his question (which was well-worded).... read between the lines with JZ's self-centered logic.....his rationalization of "helping Baja's economy" is a transparent veneer of justification.

Folks supporting his modality are of the same ilk....some Nomads are demonstrating a more respectful attitude towards others....

David K - 8-26-2020 at 09:17 AM

I want to go to Baja in the worst way... but it is the worst time during a pandemic. Baja will be there in 2021, so 2020 is just a non-travel year... except on the computer!
:light::biggrin::coolup:

chippy - 8-26-2020 at 09:25 AM

There were no "filtros" for Sturgis and a lot of folks thought it was a good idea to show up.... social consciousness could be a filtro ....but one needs to have it to apply it.

Lee nailed it with his question (which was well-worded).... read between the lines with JZ's self-centered logic.....his rationalization of "helping Baja's economy" is a transparent veneer of justification.

Folks supporting his modality are of the same ilk....some Nomads are demonstrating a more respectful attitude towards others....

And sturgis has what to do with Baja? It looked to me like sturgis was a bunch of wanna be bikers that were not following any of the covid protocols.
Down here they are following the protocols in stores, restaurants,hotels ect. It´s the nueva normalidad and will be for awhile.

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 09:44 AM

And sturgis has what to do with Baja? It looked to me like sturgis was a bunch of wanna be bikers that were not following any of the covid protocols.
Down here they are following the protocols in stores, restaurants,hotels ect. It´s the nuevo normalidad and will be for awhile.

Sturgis was an example of folks following personal desires rather than epidemic risk management....unfortunate you didn't get that.

The USA leads the world in covid deaths....people " excersizing their rights" seems to be the greatest risk of covid transmission.
Mexico is the next out-of-control country.

How's that working for you guys?

The countries managing the virus best are those willing to put personal interests second to the general public health.

Even DK gets it:
"I want to go to Baja in the worst way... but it is the worst time during a pandemic. Baja will be there in 2021, so 2020 is just a non-travel year... except on the computer!"

bajatrailrider - 8-26-2020 at 09:48 AM

I can only add this all my friends from so cal. Have been coming here to visit non stop since February to date. They are careful non are sick. For this month of August the beach near me. Every weekend looks like 4 of July all California plates on beach. Fisherman campers atv sxs Moto I have never seen so many. So many comments from people that don't live here. Or want to compare USA . All good but bad info some places in Baja open and all good . In my town two where sick hospital one day sent home to recover . They did one person very sick with other health problems. Did in fact pass away two months ago. Live and let live people.

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 09:49 AM

Down here they are following the protocols in stores, restaurants,hotels ect. It´s the nuevo normalidad and will be for awhile.

Sturgis was an example of folks following personal desires rather than epidemic risk management....unfortunate you didn't get that.

Sounds to me like Chippy got it. :?:

del mar - 8-26-2020 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

wanna be bikers?:lol:

chippy - 8-26-2020 at 09:55 AM

The USA leads the world in covid deaths....people " excersizing their rights" seems to be the greatest risk of covid transmission.
Mexico is the next out-of-control country.

How's that working for you guys?

The countries managing the virus best are those willing to put personal interests second to the general public health.

Even DK gets it:
"I want to go to Baja in the worst way... but it is the worst time during a pandemic. Baja will be there in 2021, so 2020 is just a non-travel year... except on the computer!"

Easy for you to say living up there on the frozen tundra while your gov takes care of you. We don´t have that option down here. Our gov. has not and will not do anything to help business or people down here. People got to work or starve. It´s all doable with precautions that are taking place.

paranewbi - 8-26-2020 at 09:57 AM

Afraid?

This one? "I get the impression you're trying to provoke people here. Why?"

Why answer an 'impression' (or declaration) that JZ is something he isn't or doesn't see himself as being? Just because Lee has an impression...that's all it is.

Lot's of folks are probably of the mind that you play that game.

Why respond to JZ's posts at all if you are of a different mind about what he's doing? Are you so self centered that your opinion would change his mind? Where have you seen that anything someone posts about JZ's self determination is changed by others 'impressions', opinions, etc. ? Your snide "afraid?" remark is just a provocation.

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 10:07 AM

Easy for you to say living up there on the frozen tundra while your gov takes care of you. ...

Cheap shot....the gov't isn't taking care of me, other than recommending no non-essential travel, distancing protocols, etc. The Canadian and US gov's have both provide different forms of financial supports to some citizens....and I have not received any such funding.

Oh, the "tundra" is a region a bit north of most of Canada....but I get the reference :biggrin:

Still waiting for the Jizz to respond to Lee's query ...:?:

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  

.... impression...that's all it is.

Lot's of folks are probably of the mind that you play that game.

... and that's your impression ? :biggrin:

an imaginary poll?

chippy - 8-26-2020 at 10:16 AM

Easy for you to say living up there on the frozen tundra while your gov takes care of you. ...

Cheap shot....the gov't isn't taking care of me, other than recommending no non-essential travel, distancing protocols, etc. The Canadian and US gov's have both provide different forms of financial supports to some citizens....and I have not received any such funding.

Oh, the "tundra" is a region a bit north of most of Canada....but I get the reference :biggrin:

Still waiting for the Jizz to respond to Lee's query ...:?:

I didn´t mean you personally. I meant the general citizens and businesses. Even the USA helped people for awhile. Down here not at all.

ps I say that "tundra" remark to my Canadian friends and they always laugh. Most live in BC and Alberta.

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

wanna be bikers?:lol:

well I was referring to "that were not following any of the covid protocols." ;)

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 10:32 AM

Why respond to JZ's posts at all if you are of a different mind about what he's doing? Are you so self centered that your opinion would change his mind? Where have you seen that anything someone posts about JZ's self determination is changed by others 'impressions', opinions, etc. ? Your snide "afraid?" remark is just a provocation.

I respond to Jizz's comments that I consider to be unadulterated BS....and have told him that.

I see his "self-determination" as rancid selfishness....calling him out is "good trouble".

And his "afraid" recurring comments are not snide or provocations (as Lee recognized)?

My views probably won't change your tune either.....but some guys couldn't carry a note with a shovel.

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 10:55 AM

ps I say that "tundra" remark to my Canadian friends and they always laugh. Most live in BC and Alberta.

:lol: :lol:

I have often posted here referring to Canada as the frozen wastelands....just to keep the myth rolling that Canada is a backwater chithole country.... ;)

On a different note, I am sorry to see the USA going through the current reckoning....social upheaval on such a large and broad scale.

Revolutions are like that....messy undertakings. The Covid factor adds to the social storm.

Be smart and safe:light:

John Harper - 8-26-2020 at 11:14 AM

I have often posted here referring to Canada as the frozen wastelands....just to keep the myth rolling that Canada is a backwater chithole country.... ;)

If Benjamin Franklin's mission had succeeded in 1776, you'd actually be part of a real chithole country now, like the rest of us.

John

[Edited on 8-26-2020 by John Harper]

motoged - 8-26-2020 at 11:39 AM

John,
Benny was a prolific kinda guy....believed in science, was a vegetarian, and just "shacked up" rather than formally marrying....among a long list of other attributes.

In his time, the "frozen tundra" was not Canada, but a British Colony (....as was what is now USA was also a British colony .... and it was the British troops that later burned down the White House in DC in war of 1812....not "Canadians" :light: ... seems trump has taken that on these days :biggrin:).

Those were the days....eh?!

BajaMama - 8-26-2020 at 12:21 PM

People are gonna do what they want to do. You do you, boo, as my kids would say. My husband and I have gone on a couple of fly fishing trips here, a camping trip (on a canibus farm no less). We are glamping and fly fishing right after Labor Day in Trinity Alps, then heading to Portland. Steelhead fishing the Klamath River mid October. We bring all our own food on these trips and socially distance. There are things that are just fine to do: we walked through the botanical gardens and hiked to the light house in the Ft. Bragg area. We don't feel comfortable in bars and restaurants. It IS possible to travel safely. Hotels keep a deep cleaned room empty for a day or so. Bring hand sanitizer and hand soap and you're good to go.

paranewbi - 8-26-2020 at 12:32 PM

John,
Benny was a prolific kinda guy....believed in science, was a vegetarian, and just "shacked up" rather than formally marrying....among a long list of other attributes.

In his time, the "frozen tundra" was not Canada, but a British Colony (....as was what is now USA was also a British colony .... and it was the British troops that later burned down the White House in DC in war of 1812....not "Canadians" :light: ... seems trump has taken that on these days :biggrin:).

Those were the days....eh?!

Yep, and those Brits had their b-hind handed to them just as those guys who attacked pearl and the ones who attacked the towers.

We don't look north for inspiration politically, militarily, or financially, either. I'm not really sure anyone does. You do have nice trees though.

del mar - 8-26-2020 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
People are gonna do what they want to do. You do you, boo, as my kids would say. My husband and I have gone on a couple of fly fishing trips here, a camping trip (on a canibus farm no less). We are glamping and fly fishing right after Labor Day in Trinity Alps, then heading to Portland. Steelhead fishing the Klamath River mid October. We bring all our own food on these trips and socially distance. There are things that are just fine to do: we walked through the botanical gardens and hiked to the light house in the Ft. Bragg area. We don't feel comfortable in bars and restaurants. It IS possible to travel safely. Hotels keep a deep cleaned room empty for a day or so. Bring hand sanitizer and hand soap and you're good to go.

I agree but its the weekend crowd that just can't seem to live without that damn taco! I applaud the decision to throttle back open lanes on weekends, if a 6-8 hour wait doesn't deter these folks I don't know what will? of course JMO :D

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 01:14 PM

We don't look north for inspiration politically, militarily, or financially, either. I'm not really sure anyone does. You do have nice trees though.

"We"?

Please speak for yourself.

[Edited on 8-26-2020 by SFandH]

John Harper - 8-26-2020 at 01:17 PM

The brave Canadians of the RCAF, who joined the British RAF, and fought the Battle of Britain in 1940 did not need inspiration from the United States, either.

My dad's good friend (US citizen) joined the RCAF in 1939 and also flew in the BoB.

The US people were fairly isolationist until December 8, 1941.

John

BajaMama - 8-26-2020 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

I agree but its the weekend crowd that just can't seem to live without that damn taco! I applaud the decision to throttle back open lanes on weekends, if a 6-8 hour wait doesn't deter these folks I don't know what will? of course JMO :D

I hear you - that's not our idea on Baja anyway, though it was 30+ years ago when we first met. My boss had a place in the little community just north of Rosarito Beach. We would go weekends the house wasn't in use (Let's just say my first two kids have tee shirt that say Hecho en Mexico). But those days are long behind us. We like driving down to BCS and staying in mi suegro's house.

pacificobob - 8-26-2020 at 04:32 PM

as a resident I'll happily render my opinion....stay the f home....but if you're going to come be sure to publish your flight information on the WWW.

SFandH - 8-26-2020 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

as a resident I'll happily render my opinion....stay the f home....but if you're going to come be sure to publish your flight information on the WWW.

But would the restaurant owners, store owners, motel owners, fishing charter captains say?

This is a balancing act. Healthy public vs healthy economy. A responsible traveler can minimize the risk to public health and keep the tourist economy alive.

JZ - 8-26-2020 at 04:52 PM

But would the restaurant owners, store owners, motel owners, fishing charter captains say?

This is a balancing act. Healthy public vs healthy economy. A responsible traveler can minimize the risk to public health and keep the tourist economy alive.

You are speaking like a reasonable person.

They don't live in that world.

TMW - 8-26-2020 at 04:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

The brave Canadians of the RCAF, who joined the British RAF, and fought the Battle of Britain in 1940 did not need inspiration from the United States, either.

My dad's good friend (US citizen) joined the RCAF in 1939 and also flew in the BoB.

The US people were fairly isolationist until December 8, 1941.

John

The Lend Lease Act didn't hurt either.

LancairDriver - 8-26-2020 at 06:01 PM

Afraid?

Certainly you must have noticed by now. It is obvious JZ doesn’t waste a lot of time exchanging insults and using up bandwidth on meaningless digital noise and is not baited into it. Relax and enjoy some of the nice videos and photography from his travels he often shares.

bajatrailrider - 8-26-2020 at 07:20 PM

I second that I think Baja blowhards are just bored . Get out enjoy life just take care doing it.

Lee - 8-26-2020 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

Afraid?

Certainly you must have noticed by now. It is obvious JZ doesn’t waste a lot of time exchanging insults and using up bandwidth on meaningless digital noise and is not baited into it. Relax and enjoy some of the nice videos and photography from his travels he often shares.

I think this is true and I respect JZ for this path.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about traveling. Beats staying at home. My question needs to be rhetorical and I know if JZ read my comment, he's thought about what I wrote. Good enough for me.

I have almost no interest in debating all this stuff. If Ged and JZ want to provoke each other, then that's their game. I'll just skip it in the future.

I think anyone driving alone in a car with a mask on is living in fear. Maybe I'm missing something.

paranewbi - 8-27-2020 at 05:18 AM

"I think anyone driving alone in a car with a mask on is living in fear. Maybe I'm missing something."

Makes me crack up when I see that.
Then again...

I use to surf the 'Hook' in Santa Cruz when the sewer fall out pipe was the center of the peak take off zone...the water was warmer also in that spot.

Chased hurricane surf in Central America in the 70's in remote locations with a buddy. Can't remember seeing a resource for injury/healing outside the major cities hundreds of miles away.

Still clench my teeth and paddle out past the warning signs in Imperial Beach San Diego (Boca de rio) when the tubes are spitting.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who shake their head at me.