BajaNomad

Estrella Jalisco Cerveza/ not bad

thebajarunner - 8-28-2020 at 05:54 PM

Never had tried this but yesterday our Modesto Costco had a big stack next to the Pacificos, and at $19 was three bucks cheaper.

I have resisted trying this, even though my bride is from Jalisco, because every time I watch the Giants play in LA the right field sign has a big "Estrella Jalisco" prominently displayed, and good Giants fans avoid much of anything with a Dodger blue tint.

Popped one last night and it was pretty decent, I must say.
Good enough that I had a second just to make sure.

Not sure about the Jalisco tag. The bottom of the bottle indicated it was made in Zacatecas......
Just so it is not Dodger brew it is all good with me.

AKgringo - 8-28-2020 at 06:33 PM

Bottles, or cans?

thebajarunner - 8-28-2020 at 07:24 PM

Bottles
Haven’t seen a can of Mexican cerveza in our Costco this year

I prefer bottles
Cans are great for road beer

chippy - 8-29-2020 at 06:44 AM

Estrella is a light and refreshing beer. Perfect for our suffocatingly hot rainy season months down here on the Jalisco coast.

Beer threads are always interesting

SFandH - 8-29-2020 at 07:21 AM

something nomads have in common.

But wait a minute, beer in clear bottles??

Not for this aficionado!

beer.jpeg - 19kB

vandy - 8-29-2020 at 08:53 AM

I'm going back to homebrew in Mexico.

I just hope nobody has a hissy-fit when they find my fresh vacuum-packed hops.
Look a little too much like mota.

John Harper - 8-29-2020 at 09:41 AM

I picked up a 12 pack last summer in Wyoming, of all places. It was not too bad as I recall, similar to Corona. A lime would probably been a nice addition. I was getting burned out on ales, needed something lighter for a couple days.

John

thebajarunner - 8-29-2020 at 01:47 PM

Clear bottles!?

Modelo is in clear bottles
Better than green

David K - 8-29-2020 at 02:14 PM

Sol is in clear bottles, as well. Only Corona seems to have a crappy, clear-bottle taste? I still prefer Pacifico, Dos Equis, and Tecate Light as my beer trifecta.

SFandH - 8-29-2020 at 02:50 PM

I associate clear bottles with Corona therefore haven't tried others. Corona tastes terrible.

My wife brought home a new pair of flip-flops for me. They have a bottle opener built into the sole. Cool. I'll get some Dos Equis and try them out. :cool:

mtgoat666 - 8-29-2020 at 03:01 PM

You peeps need to find a mexican beer worth drinking!

The goat is only drinking these beers this summer.... Two great beers, and not from Mexico, of course.
Paulaner Hefe-Weizen
Alesmith 394 pale ale

And of course: G&T, old fashioneds and red wines.

When I retire, I think I will take up alcoholism as my retirement hobby!

John Harper - 8-29-2020 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Alesmith 394 pale ale

That's my friend's favorite beer, she loves it, very tasty. Tony Gwynn's 1994 batting average, I'm sure you know.

Had an Elysian Space Dust yesterday, well, two of them. Holy cow! I did not realize they were 8.2% ABV. Thank God we'd already finished the motorcycle ride and I only had a couple miles to ride home.

John

del mar - 8-29-2020 at 03:50 PM

no reason to drink crappy beer down here, all OXXO's have both Lagunitas little sumpin's (7 1/2)and IPA's (6 1/2)and like OXXO's are kept just above freezing. at 34 peso's hard to beat :coolup:

freediverbrian - 8-29-2020 at 07:45 PM

What is worst a beer snob or a coffee snob? If I like it , I drink it .Don't tell me what I should drink.

mtgoat666 - 8-29-2020 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
What is worst a beer snob or a coffee snob? If I like it , I drink it .Don't tell me what I should drink.

I will never offer you recommendations! None what so ever!
If you like drinking bad beer and bad coffee, you have my full support! Ignore anything about food and drink, we don’t want you to read it! Avert your eyes, cover your ears, and you will be safe!

SFandH - 8-30-2020 at 09:41 AM

Flip-flop with built-in bottle opener. :cool:

The silver colored little rectangle is a piece of metal fixed in an indent in the sole.

flipflop.jpeg - 4kB

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by SFandH]

Alan - 8-30-2020 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Sol is in clear bottles, as well. Only Corona seems to have a crappy, clear-bottle taste? I still prefer Pacifico, Dos Equis, and Tecate Light as my beer trifecta.
I was right with you until you said Tecate Light. Sorry, that is too much like making love in a canoe... F***ing near Water!:lol:

A good breakfast beer?

AKgringo - 8-30-2020 at 10:21 AM

I prefer amber ales, and sometimes an IPA, but their flavor is a bit robust to accompany the subtle taste of scrambled eggs, with an English muffin and a slice of melon.

David K - 8-30-2020 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I was right with you until you said Tecate Light. Sorry, that is too much like making love in a canoe... F***ing near Water!:lol:

Don't knock it unless you tried it? Refreshing, no after-taste.

We were turned onto Tecate Light by Baja Rob of Bahía Santa María... It is a more "gulpable" beer in hot weather... I drank regular Tecate before then.

For non-light beer, I like most Mexican brews (but not Corona... unless one is handed to me... I am not rude!): Pacifico, XX Lager, Mexicali, Victoria, Sol... the list can be long!

Lets get back to the important part of the thread

Howard - 8-30-2020 at 10:34 AM

A Giant fan or a Dodger fan? Give me a break, the long glorious history of the Dodgers with players like Sandy Koufax or the bat thumping Juan Marichal representing the San Francisco Seals? (Giants)

Go Blue!

Mexicali beer

cactuspete1970 - 8-30-2020 at 11:01 AM

Todays Mexicali beer tastes like Bud light, fake beer. Tastes nothing like the real Mexicali, greatest beer ever that shut down 40 years ago.

surfhat - 8-30-2020 at 11:37 AM

Howard, you peaked my attention by mentioning Sandy and Juan.

I still have my bubble gum collected baseball card collection from the late fifties and there is Sandy Koufax, along with Juan Marichal.

My Marine Corps pilot Dad took me to some Washington Senator games in the early 60's, and once when I missed catching a foul ball, Juan Marichal came over and handed me a baseball after seeing my obvious disappointment in missing the catch.

I played every year of little league I could, and because of my birthday, I was allowed five years. The first couple were mostly bench sitting, but by the last year I was pitching some shut outs and a couple of no hitters' and hitting some home runs to boot.

The next year when I went to the local pony league, it felt like was competing against the bigs. So much for that. I was done playing.

Juan Marichal has always held a special place in my heart for that 12 or was it 13 year old player.

Peace, love, and fish tacos.

I wondered how long my bait would hang out there....

thebajarunner - 8-30-2020 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
A Giant fan or a Dodger fan? Give me a break, the long glorious history of the Dodgers with players like Sandy Koufax or the bat thumping Juan Marichal representing the San Francisco Seals? (Giants)

Go Blue!

When I was a kid we were traveling down from Tacoma for a vacation and my dad dropped me in front of the Coliseum and I saw a double header..... Dodgers and Reds. Wally Moon had no "moonshots" that day, but I remember that every inning Duke Snider's face got a deeper shade of red.

Later, same summer, different trip, he dropped me in front of Seals Stadium down on 16th and Mission and I got to see my Giants..... Orlando Cepeda was a rookie.

First year I lived in the Bay Area I attended "The Greatest Game Ever Pitched"
Marichal and Spahn. Both went 15 innings, Spahn went out after that, Marichal stayed in, and Mays hit one out bottom of 16. 1-0. A life long love affair (until now)
Does anyone really care about major league overpaid knuckleheads any more???? In any sport??? Just asking.

David K - 8-30-2020 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cactuspete1970  
Todays Mexicali beer tastes like Bud light, fake beer. Tastes nothing like the real Mexicali, greatest beer ever that shut down 40 years ago.

I think this was at the Halfway House, Chef Johnny's restaurant...

mtgoat666 - 8-30-2020 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Does anyone really care about major league overpaid knuckleheads any more???? In any sport??? Just asking.

Yes.
Re pay,... pro sports players offer their play in a market economy. The pay is fair, it is what the market determines. If you can play at that level, you can enter the market and get paid well too!

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by mtgoat666]

As usual, you missed the point

thebajarunner - 8-30-2020 at 01:40 PM

Yes.
Re pay,... pro sports players offer their play in a market economy. The pay is fair, it is what the market determines. If you can play at that level, you can enter the market and get paid well too!

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by mtgoat666]

The question I posed "Does anyone care?"
I am the ultimate entrepreneur. People get paid what they deserve and the market can justify.

I had season tix to the GS Warriors for 15 years, am currently sitting on 10 years as Sharks season ticket holder. Even had 49er season tix when they were at Kezar.
I have not watched one second of NBA, NHL nor do I intend to watch NFL.
Been there, done that.
If others wish to pay the crazy bucks to support these dudes, "God bless them"
I'm out
Dropping Sharks as soon as they send a renewal....

pauldavidmena - 8-30-2020 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I'm going back to homebrew in Mexico.

I just hope nobody has a hissy-fit when they find my fresh vacuum-packed hops.
Look a little too much like mota.

How easy is it to come by the ingredients needed to homebrew in Baja?

vandy - 8-30-2020 at 03:51 PM

Not easy to find homebrew ingredients in Mexico.

I'll bring down my 2-row malted barley, specialty malts, hops, grain crusher, brew bags, thermometer, siphon, yeast nutrients.

Believe it or not, those big vacuum bags of bread yeast in Mexico make a fine 8% ABV brown ale.

Mexico has big brew pots (they call them "tamale steamers" for some reason) carboys and plastic soda bottles.

I had a lot of trouble with water supplies: salt intrusion in wells, purified water with some kind of weird chlorine that doesn't boil off, ditto town water. These kill the yeast.

The river water above the hot springs at El Chorro made incredibly good brew, but now I'll use the well water across from Puerto Escondido.

Salt may not be a problem (to a point)

AKgringo - 8-30-2020 at 04:59 PM

I have not brewed in years, but I used to add brewing salts to the soft water that we had in Nevada County. I agree that chlorine would not be a good thing, but my bet is that water that is over treated (reverse osmosis?) would not make the best beer!

Also, in a warm climate, I would only use a top fermenting ale yeast! A bottom fermenting lager yeast would require a slow, sterile and cool environment to prevent a wild yeast from taking over. Something like sourdough would give your brew that "skunky" home brew flavor.

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by AKgringo]

pauldavidmena - 8-31-2020 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
Not easy to find homebrew ingredients in Mexico.

I'll bring down my 2-row malted barley, specialty malts, hops, grain crusher, brew bags, thermometer, siphon, yeast nutrients.

Believe it or not, those big vacuum bags of bread yeast in Mexico make a fine 8% ABV brown ale.

Mexico has big brew pots (they call them "tamale steamers" for some reason) carboys and plastic soda bottles.

I had a lot of trouble with water supplies: salt intrusion in wells, purified water with some kind of weird chlorine that doesn't boil off, ditto town water. These kill the yeast.

The river water above the hot springs at El Chorro made incredibly good brew, but now I'll use the well water across from Puerto Escondido.

Thanks for the reply. Given the proliferation of small craft breweries in New England (along with a growing laziness), I haven't felt the urge to homebrew in quite a few years, but should we relocate to Baja, I could see myself craving an IPA after awhile.

Alan - 8-31-2020 at 09:04 AM

I used to like Carta Blanca but haven't seen it in a while. They were one of the first to have a twist off cap but what I really liked about them was they molded a bottle opener in the bottom of each bottle so you just opened a fresh one with your dead one! Anyone that is that supporting about me having another beer is alright in my book! :biggrin:

AKgringo - 8-31-2020 at 09:42 AM

I remember a stubby barrel bottle with the opener in the bottom. This was in 1986 just north of Zihuatanejo, and I did not realize what the indentation was for.

I offered a couple of them to two guys working by where we were camped, and was surprised to see them "toast" each other with extended arms, twisting each others caps off, clink the bottles and down the hatch!

del mar - 8-31-2020 at 09:44 AM

clever marketing! you had to buy at least two, not that mexicans aren't masters at top popping!

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by del mar]

AKgringo - 8-31-2020 at 09:49 AM

Also a necessary tool considering how tight those early twist offs were. You could tear up your hands getting a buzz on!

[Edited on 8-31-2020 by AKgringo]

David K - 8-31-2020 at 10:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I used to like Carta Blanca but haven't seen it in a while. They were one of the first to have a twist off cap but what I really liked about them was they molded a bottle opener in the bottom of each bottle so you just opened a fresh one with your dead one! Anyone that is that supporting about me having another beer is alright in my book! :biggrin:

Was XXX also a brand with the twist off tool molded in the bottom of the bottle? I can only find can photos...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hCEAAOSw7MNcU0nR/s-l400.jpg

BajaMama - 9-1-2020 at 06:04 AM

When I retire, I think I will take up alcoholism as my retirement hobby!

My husband is going to take up chemistry upon retirement - he wants to turn beer, bourbon and wine into urine :lol::lol::lol:

BajaMama - 9-1-2020 at 06:06 AM

I'm surprised none of you fellas mention Negra Modello - one of our favorites. Also, Bohemia, a world class brew.

bajafreaks - 9-1-2020 at 06:20 AM

No mention of Modelo Especial (the Mexican Coors lite) ?
Go Giants !!!

BajaMama - 9-1-2020 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
No mention of Modelo Especial (the Mexican Coors lite) ?
Go Giants !!!

Well, the mention I will make is Modelo makes the one of the best and worst beers in Mexico!:biggrin:

And, go Giants!

[Edited on 9-1-2020 by BajaMama]

jamiec - 9-1-2020 at 09:50 AM

[/rquote]

How easy is it to come by the ingredients needed to homebrew in Baja? [/rquote]

In Central Ca I usually order all my homebrew stuff from More Beer. Free shipping over $59 and super fast service. They say they ship international, I've never shipped anything to Baja but I wonder what the cost would be if it would get caught up in customs.

vandy - 9-1-2020 at 03:52 PM

Northern Brewer ends up a better deal for me.
More Beer has free shipping EXCEPT the heavy stuff, the 50-lb bags of malted barley.

A 50-lb bag only makes 30 gallons of beer, so you'll need a few.
:bounce:

Clear glass bottles

thebajarunner - 9-3-2020 at 01:40 PM

Clear glass is becoming more rare in the US
The government (in its self righteous eternal wisdom) has mandated that glass companies recycle rather than make new glass.
This has been phased in over the past few years and now is reaching nearly full recycle mandate.
The world's largest privately owned glass plant is here in Modesto.... Gallo Glass. Some of their top guys have shared with me the problem.
As glass gets mingled in the process it is impossible to keep the clear glass totally separated. So, no matter how hard they try the glass produced gets darker and darker.
Eventually all the US glass will be dark

Hook - 9-6-2020 at 08:53 AM

I would never equate Modelo Especial with Coors Light. Especial has more flavor (not a pleasant flavor, IMO) than CL and certainly is heavier. And I drink Coors Light regularly. Very refreshing taste, when I am not looking for a heavy beer taste.

I also have to "admit" to drinking the only beer my wife will drink; Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy. The lemon one. Just as refreshing as CL, with a bit more flavor.

The two beers I am drinking the most of this year is Kona's Big Wave and what is claimed to be the original Belgian witbier (even according to Wiki), Hoegaarden. Much more subtle overtones of the Belgian white wheat profile, than Blue Moon or Shock Top or the Fat Tire Belgian White.

If I want an IPA, and that's becoming rarer and rarer, I am still drinking Fremont's Lush IPA.

Just ignore the recurrence of you-know-who, above.

Taking a Knee OK by ME !

MrBillM - 9-6-2020 at 09:01 AM

One "might" question whether the Big Guys are honestly expressing a moral outrage OR simply playing along to their most significant fan base, BUT so WHAT ?

Paid Performers know what generates those huge paychecks.

Granted, that it's been awhile since I attended an NBA (Lakers) game.

L.A. Sports Arena.

Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, Dick Barnett, Rudy La Russo, Hot Rod Hundley.

del mar - 9-6-2020 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
One "might" question whether the Big Guys are honestly expressing a moral outrage OR simply playing along to their most significant fan base, BUT so WHAT ?

L.A. Sports Arena.

HUH:?:

AKgringo - 9-6-2020 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

L.A. Sports Arena.

HUH:?:

I think he means that he takes a knee when offered an IPA!

Lost Context

MrBillM - 9-6-2020 at 01:22 PM

The Outsized Guys down on their knees NBA comment was in response to one (of many) a.m. "disappeared" posts from the latest iteration of JustJihadJoe.

jamiec - 9-8-2020 at 10:12 AM

The government (in its self righteous eternal wisdom) has mandated that glass companies recycle rather than make new glass.
This has been phased in over the past few years and now is reaching nearly full recycle mandate.
The world's largest privately owned glass plant is here in Modesto.... Gallo Glass. Some of their top guys have shared with me the problem.
As glass gets mingled in the process it is impossible to keep the clear glass totally separated. So, no matter how hard they try the glass produced gets darker and darker.

For the most part, clear and green glass are horrible for beer. Allows light to cause a reaction with hops. Gives a skunky off taste. Can't think of any craft brewers in the US that bottle their beer in clear glass, all dark glass or cans. Miller is supposed to use a synthetic hop extract that does not react with light but still can give an off taste with light exposure. No idea if Mexican beers are using this.

David K - 9-8-2020 at 10:33 AM

Are clear or green bottles really an issue?
Does any beer wholesaler or retailer leave crates of beer bottles open and in the light?

pacificobob - 9-8-2020 at 10:45 AM

those damn progressives and their recycling! as soon as Mexico is done building the wall i am counting on der gropen fuhrer to turn his focus to ending all those stupid environmental regulations.

[Edited on 9-8-2020 by pacificobob]

SFandH - 9-8-2020 at 11:17 AM

BeerSci: Why You Should Never Drink Beer From A Clear Glass Bottle
Avoid gross-smelling drinks by protecting your brew from light.

Light green glass, ala Heineken, also leads to skunk. And without a doubt, Heineken is skunky swill.

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/beersci-why-y...

The stores where I buy beer usually have light in them. Never had to carry a flashlight into a store.

Bohemia Pilsner in brown glass bottles. Yum.

[Edited on 9-8-2020 by SFandH]

Don Pisto - 9-8-2020 at 11:37 AM

different strokes, I don't mind the occasional light struck beer, years ago we would give our Miller quarts a few moments in the sun.....we found it enjoyable

jamiec - 9-8-2020 at 11:45 AM

The funny thing is that in high school we all though skunky beer was high class. Heineken, Moose Head, St Pauli Girl.

When I was in Japan I had Heineken in a can and couldn't believe the difference in taste.

I do like some Negra Modelo though.

FWIW: I've never turned down a cold beer, even it is in a clear or green bottle.

The Taste Test

MrBillM - 9-8-2020 at 11:55 AM

Personally, having sampled myriad brews in every colored bottle for six decades, I think that anyone who actually believes in that B.S. "color" test has a screw (or two) loose.

I did once see the advantage (when dealing with Mex beer) of clear bottles when I pulled a Corona Extra from the case and saw that a lime from a previous bottling had survived the cleaning process.

THAT was a great conversation piece for years.

David K - 9-8-2020 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jamiec  
The funny thing is that in high school we all though skunky beer was high class. Heineken, Moose Head, St Pauli Girl.

When I was in Japan I had Heineken in a can and couldn't believe the difference in taste.

I do like some Negra Modelo though.

FWIW: I've never turned down a cold beer, even it is in a clear or green bottle.

True!
I have been handed a cold Corona a couple of times... I am a polite person, so I drank them! LOL :lol:

Avoid the bottle problem, get a keg!

David K - 9-8-2020 at 12:36 PM

Taste is Subjective

MrBillM - 9-8-2020 at 12:57 PM

And the opinions of others (including friends) obviously unimportant. Often not worth Scheisse.

Think of all those you've known who like (or loved) things you hated and hated things that you loved.

That said ....................... Stella Artois, Heineken and Guinness Stout do it for me. No need to look elsewhere, although (like David), I don't turn down any offered brew. That would be rude.

I do miss the Steinlager, though, but that's life.

BTW, the numerous glasses of Heineken from kegs that I tasted in the Virgin Islands tasted no different than that in bottles.

bajafreaks - 9-8-2020 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I would never equate Modelo Especial with Coors Light. Especial has more flavor (not a pleasant flavor, IMO) than CL and certainly is heavier. And I drink Coors Light regularly. Very refreshing taste, when I am not looking for a heavy beer taste.

I also have to "admit" to drinking the only beer my wife will drink; Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy. The lemon one. Just as refreshing as CL, with a bit more flavor.

The two beers I am drinking the most of this year is Kona's Big Wave and what is claimed to be the original Belgian witbier (even according to Wiki), Hoegaarden. Much more subtle overtones of the Belgian white wheat profile, than Blue Moon or Shock Top or the Fat Tire Belgian White.

If I want an IPA, and that's becoming rarer and rarer, I am still drinking Fremont's Lush IPA.

Just ignore the recurrence of you-know-who, above.

Hook I was simply comparing the popularity of the two beers. Gringos drink a lot of CL as Mexicans drink a lot of Modelo. They are totally different in taste that's for sure. I prefer Modelo.

David K - 9-8-2020 at 01:35 PM

Hook, what is your opinion of Tecate Light for those qualities you seek in Coors Light?

We got turned onto Tecate Light by Baja Rob (of Bahia Santa Maria) many years ago, and it has replaced all other light beers for smooth refreshment on hot days or anytime we don't seek a slightly more bold flavors of Pacifico, Tecate, or Dos Equis.

Hook - 9-11-2020 at 04:05 PM

Tecate Light tends to have a bit of an off taste for my palette. Not nearly as "clean" tasting as CL. And it is a bit heavier, or so it seems to me.

And I dont like Pacifico Light at all.

I used to like both of those beers. My taste in beer seems to constantly change. But I consistently like CL because, well, there's very little to be offended by its taste profile. Clean, light, minimal "beer" flavor. It also seems to resist the "can" flavor that many Mexican beers seem to exhibit. The cans probably arent different; I think the Mex beers react to the aluminum differently, somehow. And I am forced to drink canned beers, often. Bottles of CL almost never go on sale in Mexico, while cans can be had for as low as 90-100 pesos a 12-pack.

Yes, I even drink CL in Mexico. Very available almost everywhere.

Dos Equis has a sweet aftertaste to me, that I dont like. Really noticeable after more than one.

Modelo Especial seems very close to Corona in flavor, except that it doesnt exhibit that slight "skunkiness" that Corona can have.

So, in Mexico, my top three beers, by consumption are Bohemia Clara (Pilsner), Pacifico and then CL. If I go out to dinner, I'm ordering Bohemia Clara, if they have it. I dont drink much Negra Modelo anymore. Too sweet, too heavy.

In truth, I drink far more of a pale ale home brew that a guy in San Carlos makes. It's less bitter than Sierra Nevada. Seems more like a golden or blonde ale. He keeps it at 5-5.5%, so it's easy to drink lots at fish taco parties at his house. Or anytime you want to stop by. He generally brews 20 gallons at a time in carboys.

For the last two years, he has agreed to let me "call" the kind of beer ingredients that he brings down from the States. Last year we made two Belgian Saisons. I really like Belgian Saisons. That slight funkiness of the yeast is so different, but it's still very flavorful and not a strong, heavy beer.

This year I have requested a red ale and another Belgian; a Belgian witbier. I really like those Hoegaardens. But getting harder to find.

He's also making an chocolate oatmeal stout.

Of course, all this assumes we are even going this year. It's wait and see...........like everything in life, these days.

David K - 9-11-2020 at 04:52 PM

Thanks...
I do agree with you about Pacifico Light, I tried it once and never again... How could such a good beer make so bad a Light version of itself?

Bajaboy - 9-11-2020 at 05:00 PM

Mercado Libre is a game changer for us in Bahia Asuncion. I bring down my fair share of ipas. ML will deliver a case of Lagunitas to my front door. I have also started brewing my own beer due to the lack of variety in Baja. I have found that Mercado Libre is starting to offer a lot of brewery equipment. I plan on making runs to the border to get a lot of my supplies.

Nothing wrong with drinking a Pacifico or Tecate but at the end of the day, I want a beer with more flavor.

Pacifico Lite doesn't ring the bell for me

thebajarunner - 9-11-2020 at 06:00 PM

Thanks...
I do agree with you about Pacifico Light, I tried it once and never again... How could such a good beer make so bad a Light version of itself?

Bought a 6 pack and gave away 5
I really like Pacifico, but they missed the boat on the lite stuff

(OK, just to be perfectly honest, I don't like any lite beers..... Why bother?)

elgatoloco - 9-12-2020 at 01:05 PM

(OK, just to be perfectly honest, I don't like any lite beers..... Why bother?)

x2

SFandH - 9-12-2020 at 01:23 PM

At times beers of any brand can taste bad. I think what happens in Baja a lot is beer sits unrefrigerated in 90 degree or more heat in a storeroom for too long of a time.

I've had some really rotten Pacifico in Mulege, which I generally like. Maybe it's just a poor distribution system. Beer should be stored cold and the fresher the better.

[Edited on 9-12-2020 by SFandH]

thebajarunner - 9-12-2020 at 01:41 PM

Storage and warm air are killers for beer (and wine too)

I remember years ago a Budweiser truck went over the edge up around Dunsmuir on I-5 and way down into the upper Sacramento River

The vultures descended en masse....
There was a regular trail down and back to help carry out the abandoned brewskies
And, from all reports, it had been sitting in 100+ degree sunshine for too long and was totally skunky.