BajaNomad

Traveling from San Diego to Cabo

ondahrd - 10-16-2020 at 09:32 AM

I will be traveling to Cabo from San Diego with only one stop in Mulege over night. I have never done this before, but know most precautions, no night driving etc... Car will have most provisions needed. Is there any cell coverage on the way? Should I rent a Satellite phone? Anything I need to know that I might not be thinking of?

JZ - 10-16-2020 at 09:49 AM

Cabo is one of the least interesting places in Baja. Tourist trap. You will drive right by the best places.

There will be coverage most of the way. The exception being from
El Rosario to Guerrero Negro (about 200 miles). Look at the coverage map for your provider.

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

You don't need a sat phone.

[Edited on 10-16-2020 by JZ]

David K - 10-16-2020 at 10:44 AM

I have to also wonder why zoom through the most fascinating peninsula on earth to go to a place at the very tip which is more of a circus than anything Mexican or Baja-like?

It is really way too far to go in 2-days. Days are getting shorter. You cross into Mountain Time and lose an hour doing that, as well.

Average speed is 50 mph for the 1,000 mile drive. There are many stops and slow traffic for towns (unless you go the faster way, south from Mexicali), about 6 military checkpoints, could be many wrecks on the skinny highway, range cattle and burros, etc.

NO CELL COVERAGE beyond El Rosario or San Felipe and none between the cities or in the hills, until you get near Guerrero Negro, 400 miles south.

You need a Mexican Auto Insurance policy if you want to be covered for liability as well as all else, since your U.S. insurance has no liability coverage in Mexico... where you are held in jail until you pay for damages. www.bajabound.com is the company many of us use, and it sponsors this site.

You stop at the border and walk into the first building inside of Mexico with your passport to get the FMM tourist card. It is valid for up to 180 days. It is about $30 US.

Try and see some of the peninsula instead of zooming up and down it for Cabo. :cool:

CaboHenry - 10-16-2020 at 11:10 AM

Ease up JZ..... Let the poor man (newbie) have his moment in Cabo.

JZ is right! You will surely be missing out on the best of the peninsula if you just rush down to the tip in 2 days. That's never the way to enjoy Baja. Surely hope this isn't your first drive down to Cabo. If it is, slow down & enjoy the beaches! Enjoy the food! If bringing a pet/dog, let them run the beaches a little (bring poop bags please). If you're on limited time and have business needs in Cabo, then fly down. Fares are great right now. Otherwise I recommend spend a day or 2 less in Cabo and add to beach time along the way. Please, drive safe!

No need for sat phone. You will have cell most of the way but expect blank areas along the drive. But cell phone Navi continues to work. Internal sat antenna I guess...

To JZ- As for cell Navi, what were the best navi phone apps you have used? I recall a post from you with some killer options. Also, beautiful dog, man (different post).

CaboHenry - 10-16-2020 at 11:23 AM

Listen to DK. He knows what he's talking about.

All those road senerios he mentions are a regular thing along the drive. You might think you can get to Mulege before dark but depending on road conditions that day you could be in the dark before GN!

Slow down and enjoy the sites!

JZ - 10-16-2020 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboHenry  

No need for sat phone. You will have cell most of the way but expect blank areas along the drive. But cell phone Navi continues to work. Internal sat antenna I guess...

To JZ- As for cell Navi, what were the best navi phone apps you have used? I recall a post from you with some killer options. Also, beautiful dog, man (different post).

Google Maps for paved roads. You can pre-download the map area for use when you don't have cell service.

Lee - 10-16-2020 at 11:55 AM

Too far too fast. This scenario will involve driving in the dark early or late in the day.

I know Cabo well -- it's not a tourist trap. There are tourists there when the ships are in. Todos Santos is a similar trap when bus loads of tourists come up from Cabo. It's all fascinating and fun. Some people don't get it.

David K - 10-16-2020 at 12:29 PM

You are also welcome to print out my maps for the areas you are driving. They show the Kilometer Marker for road junctions and places along the way.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

The kilometer markers reset to zero in several places as you go south. In the state of Baja California, they increase from 0 as you go south.
In the state of Baja California Sur, they decrease to 0 as you go south on Hwy. 1, but not on Hwy. 19, 53 or others.

Hwy. 1
Km. 0 BC:
Tijuana, Ensenada, San Quintín, L.A. Bay junction, ends at the state border (Km. 127 (from L.A. Bay jcn.)/ Km. 220 (to Santa Rosalia).

Km. 0 BCS:
Santa Rosalia, Loreto, Ciudad Insurgentes, La Paz (actually it's Km. 8 at city entrance/ Dove or 'whale tail' Monument), Cabo San Lucas marina.

Using Hwy. 19 via Todos Santos is faster and shorter to Cabo. It leaves Hwy. 1 at Km. 185... and this is Km. 0 for Hwy. 19. Cabo San Lucas is 124 kilometers south.

Kilometers x 0.62 = miles.

Never pass an open gas station if you are below the half fill line.
Must top off places:
El Rosario on Hwy. 1 (220 miles south of border) and San Felipe on Hwy. 5 (125 miles south of border). In both cases the next reliable gas station is 200+ miles away.

ondahrd - 10-16-2020 at 12:59 PM

I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I have been flying to San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas for many years. I have found my second home in San Jose Del Cabo, what a great little city. I am driving down to leave a car. I will be crossing the Tijuana or the Tecate border. I am up for suggestions on one more stop, but that's about it. Maybe do some traveling later across Baja when I have more time. But for now got to get down there in a few days. Any help is appreciated

I drove at night...and lived!

AKgringo - 10-16-2020 at 01:39 PM

Given the short daylight hours, and the distance you have to cover, you will be driving after dark! In my opinion, the most dangerous time is right at sundown when it is hard to see or be seen by others.

Hopefully it could work out for you to take a meal and rest a bit, and continue when it is dark enough that everyone on the road has their lights on. Watch out for drunks on the road in the evening hours!

If I were making that drive now, I would cross at Tecate, take the toll road east on Mex 2, then head south on Mex 5 before you get to Mexicali.

Buen viaje!

ondahrd - 10-16-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have to also wonder why zoom through the most fascinating peninsula on earth to go to a place at the very tip which is more of a circus than anything Mexican or Baja-like?

It is really way too far to go in 2-days. Days are getting shorter. You cross into Mountain Time and lose an hour doing that, as well.

Average speed is 50 mph for the 1,000 mile drive. There are many stops and slow traffic for towns (unless you go the faster way, south from Mexicali), about 6 military checkpoints, could be many wrecks on the skinny highway, range cattle and burros, etc.

NO CELL COVERAGE beyond El Rosario or San Felipe and none between the cities or in the hills, until you get near Guerrero Negro, 400 miles south.

You need a Mexican Auto Insurance policy if you want to be covered for liability as well as all else, since your U.S. insurance has no liability coverage in Mexico... where you are held in jail until you pay for damages. www.bajabound.com is the company many of us use, and it sponsors this site.

You stop at the border and walk into the first building inside of Mexico with your passport to get the FMM tourist card. It is valid for up to 180 days. It is about $30 US.

Try and see some of the peninsula instead of zooming up and down it for Cabo. :cool:

Have you done the Mexicali Border to San Jose del Cabo?

David K - 10-16-2020 at 01:41 PM

Review all replies above, add one more day at least unless you begin driving at sunrise... even then, see some sites and eat some tacos along the way. A pull into San Ignacio to the plaza is a must do... only 2 paved miles off the highway. San Ignacio is the halfway point, 500 miles south. Really nice motel just past the mission, called La Huerta.

David K - 10-16-2020 at 01:43 PM

Yes, I have driven it, many times, the most recent in 2017, but over many days.

BajaUtah - 10-16-2020 at 02:25 PM

I've driven the peninsula round trip 7 or 8 times since 2010. It always takes 20-22 hours of seat time to get to my house in La Ribera (1hr north of SJD airport) . I cross at Mexicali because I start off in Salt Lake City and that's faster than driving to San Diego and crossing at San Ysidro. I drive Mx 5 because I hate the TJ/Ensenada/San Quintin valley part. Mx 5 has always been faster by 2-3 hours than Mx 1 for me. I have not done the drive since Mx 5 was completed so I'm looking forward to my next trip in November.

If you are doing the drive this time of year SD to Mulege getting there in daylight is very ambitious. I recall one trip that was Mexicali to San Ignacio and it was sun down at Guererro Negro and dead dark at Viscaino and the last hour was pretty scary to make San Ignacio. Mulege is 2+ hours beyond SI. I have comfortably done San Felipe to Mulege in a 1 day drive but that was June/July daylight. Hell I've done San Felipe to La Ribera in 1 day but that was on June 21 (longest daylight). I left SF at 5am and got home about midnight.

I would encourage you to read the latest road reports as it looks like there is bridge work going on between the turn off to Punta Abreojos and Loreto with reports of the road south of Loreto being shut down for 3 hours for blasting. I know I've sat for hours waiting for 1 lane roads to open and it sucks and kills any type of schedule. I'm actually considering going down the Datil/San Juanico side just to avoid this - I did it north bound last trip in a Jeep and it wasn't too bad but no way I'd attempt it in a non-off road vehicle.

I've always found that if you can average 50mph down the peninsula you are doing great so just don't assume you are dealing with US type county roads down here. You'll be surprised how slow a lot of this is.

BajaBlanca - 10-16-2020 at 02:34 PM

We have lived here 15 years and I really think you are putting your life at risk because the roads are absurdly NARROW. This requires so much attention and one gets tired.

Perhaps consider flying to Cabo? Not that expensive and in two hours you are sipping your beverage of choice! On the beach! Total bliss!

If you are going to drive, stop in Guerrero Negro at the Terra Sal for a great room and head over to Malarrimo (or other places many can suggest) for dinner. That is so easy to do.

Sleep.

Drive to Cabo straight if you are in a hurry.

I love the hustle and bustle and mega hotels in Cabo as much as I love the tiny village we live in!

Be safe and you will have a great time! Welcome to BajaNomads.

Don Pisto - 10-16-2020 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Too far too fast. This scenario will involve driving in the dark early or late in the day.

I know Cabo well -- it's not a tourist trap. There are tourists there when the ships are in. Todos Santos is a similar trap when bus loads of tourists come up from Cabo. It's all fascinating and fun. Some people don't get it.

different strokes I guess, maybe some of the wonderfulness of it is who ISN"T there!:coolup:

mtgoat666 - 10-16-2020 at 04:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ondahrd  
I guess I should have been more specific in my question. I have been flying to San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas for many years. I have found my second home in San Jose Del Cabo, what a great little city. I am driving down to leave a car. I will be crossing the Tijuana or the Tecate border. I am up for suggestions on one more stop, but that's about it. Maybe do some traveling later across Baja when I have more time. But for now got to get down there in a few days. Any help is appreciated

from san diego, take 8 east and cross border at mexicali, then 5 south to 1 south. you can drive the 8 in the dark, as it is easy road to drive in dark, and you might need extra time to make GN by dark on first day.
stay first night at guerrero negro.
stay second nite at loreto or ciudad constitucion.
you wont need a sat phone, unless you feel naked w/o a phone signal. (anybody remember life before 1990s when we used to leave the house w/o an umbillical cord?)

KasloKid - 10-16-2020 at 11:24 PM

My 2 cents worth....
mtgoats route has my vote.

Distances to Guerrero Negro are irrelevant... it's the time it takes to get to GN from San Diego. Navigating through Tijuana and Ensenada will add quite a bit of time and further south one will experience delays due to road construction and detours.

No matter which way you go to get to the junction of Mex-5 and Mex-1 (55 KMs south of Cataviña), they're all about the same in distance, 600 KM (370 miles). Guerrero Negro is 180 KM's (110 miles) further.

Chula Vista - Mexicali West crossing via I-8 - S Felipe - Mex 5 and Mex 1 junction…. 624 KM's
Chula Vista - Tecate - Mexicali West crossing via Hwy Mex 2D, San Felipe on to junction… 595 KM's
CV - Tijuana - Ensenada - junction… 568 KM's
CV - Tecate - Ensenada - junction… 590 KM's
(Distances calculated by Garmin mapping software)

Using I-8 to get to Mexicali route is the fastest but you still have to navigate through Mexicali to get onto Hwy 5. Some have said it's easy …others have difficulty due to the lack of clear signage but I can't attest to it personally. I've always cut over to Mex 2-D, shortcutting to Laguna Salada.

If you're a bit intimidated by getting through large cities, then I suggest you cross at Tecate, take Mex 2-D to Mexicali as this route will dump you out at the south end of Mexicali on Hwy 5. No fuss, no muss.
If you do this route, then I recommend you park on the US side at Tecate, walk across (all parties in your vehicle) into Tecate and get your FMM's. at the INM (Instituto Nacional de Migració building. I've always found that finding parking is a challenge in Tecate. There's a small mini mall just before the border. Park there. After you've acquired your FMM's, cross back into the U.S. then drive across into Baja. This route will be a bit slower than taking the I-8 route as the speed limit is lower on Mex-2D.

If you want a bit of a more leisurely trip, leave early afternoon and get as far as San Felipe and spend the night. The next morning (get some eats for the road as restaurants don't open before 7) you can easily make it to Loreto, Ciudad Insurgentes or Ciudad Constitución. The third day is an easy day to SJ del Cabo.

As previously mentioned, top up your fuel at San Felipe or El Rosario. Next fuel can be quite a distance. Do your best to not let your fuel tank drop below half. As a moto buff, the expression we use is "you see gas, you buy gas!!"

Hope this helps….

pacificobob - 10-17-2020 at 04:14 AM

the only time you have too much gas is when you are on fire.

David K - 10-17-2020 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We have lived here 15 years and I really think you are putting your life at risk because the roads are absurdly NARROW. This requires so much attention and one gets tired.

Many miles, there is no pull-offs, as the road is on a levee with no shoulders!
They have widened a few sections but are a long ways from making Mex 1 a safe road. The narrow section begins at Km. 0, south side of San Quintín. This was the final section of highway to be built in 1973 (to San Ignacio), about 300 miles in just one year... very narrow.

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

Going east to Mexicali and then south on Hwy. 5 is the quickest and you get a modern highway for much of the drive instead of the skinny one. The plan (mentioned by KasloKid) to cross at Tecate and use the toll highway (2-D) to the Hwy. 5 jcn. is a good one if you fear some Mexicali city driving (5 miles, signed for San Felipe).

DIWR17 - 10-17-2020 at 06:36 AM

We live in SJD and I drive up and back every year from Colorado. I have always done Hwy 1 from Tijuana down, but this year I will be going Hwy 5 through Mexicali. Always enjoyed Coral Marina Hotel in Ensenada but consensus is, Hwy 5 is a better route. Looking forward to the different road.

Having said that, I have done the trip in 2 days in the past from Ensenada/San Diego. My suggestion would be, maybe go as far as San Ignacio the first night and stay at San Ignacio B&B (yurt place). Easy 10 hour drive and then it's only about 10 hours down to Zippers from there.

Depending on your cell carrier, coverage can be spotty. I ended up getting a Mexican sim and sticking it in my old I phone 10. I put $200 pesos on it before I leave the US which is plenty of emergency cell coverage to get me down there. Service is a lot better through Telcel on the peninsula.

Hope this helps.

ondahrd - 10-17-2020 at 09:53 AM

Thank you everyone for all the informative travel advice. Because of all the great advice, I am changing my route to go down Hwy 5 out of Mexicali. Most likely cross at Tecate and cut over.

I have found a traveling partner to help with driving. I may make another stop to stay out of the sunset and dark driving. But that remains to be seen. The Baja has always fascinated me, but time is not on my side here

I have found a few sites on road conditions, any better than others?

Oh, to Bigboss, aren't you a little ray of uninformative sunshine.

JZ - 10-17-2020 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DIWR17  

Depending on your cell carrier, coverage can be spotty. I ended up getting a Mexican sim and sticking it in my old I phone 10. I put $200 pesos on it before I leave the US which is plenty of emergency cell coverage to get me down there. Service is a lot better through Telcel on the peninsula.

Hope this helps.

This might have been the way to do it in the past.

At&t and T-Mobile are free to use anywhere in North America. You want ppl to be able to call you on your US number.

AT&T coverage in Baja is great.

BajaBlanca - 10-17-2020 at 07:29 PM

Great that you found a fellow driver.

CaboMagic - 10-17-2020 at 08:02 PM

ondahrd

The following website sometimes (sometimes) works .. Purchase your licenses and print them out.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

https://www.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx/

El Jefe - 10-18-2020 at 03:52 PM

We just drove your intended route a few days ago. Crossed at Tecate at around 7:45 AM and arrived at the Halfway House Hotel at the Guerrero Negro Eagle before dark. Long day. We were the only people in their restaurant. Food ok, margaritas better. The next day we pushed to La Paz and stayed at the Paradise Hotel on the main drag coming into town just before the turnoff to the airport. Both hotels were reasonably priced and reservations were not needed.

The next day was an easy drive down past Todos Santos and over to San Jose del on the toll road. Life is good on the near east cape. Nights are just starting to dip into the high 60's. Water still warm at 86.

David K - 10-18-2020 at 04:06 PM

Tom, is via Todos Santos to your place better than via Los Barriles? I would miss the getting pitahyas and mangos, sold along Hwy. 1!

JZ - 10-18-2020 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ondahrd  
Thank you everyone for all the informative travel advice. Because of all the great advice, I am changing my route to go down Hwy 5 out of Mexicali. Most likely cross at Tecate and cut over.

I have found a traveling partner to help with driving. I may make another stop to stay out of the sunset and dark driving. But that remains to be seen. The Baja has always fascinated me, but time is not on my side here

I have found a few sites on road conditions, any better than others?

You made a good call on going the 5. That is the way we go. It is a good bit less stressful as it avoids TJ and all the stop and go traffic in the small towns on MX 1. Plus it by passes the curvy drive through the mountains.

The one downside is it extends your drive without cell service. Basically you won't have service after you leave San Felipe until Guerrero Negro. No big deal though.

[Edited on 10-18-2020 by JZ]

El Jefe - 10-18-2020 at 04:30 PM

David you are right about highway 1 south of La Paz. That is a pretty drive, especially this time of year when everything is so, so green! But after two long hard days of driving, that four lane highway looks awful easy and relaxing to drive the rest of the way home.

On another note, it sure would be nice if somebody could figure out the logistics and build a nice traveler's motel at the junction of hwy 1 and hwy 5. It would make for a nice distance to travel on the first day southbound. In the morning you could get the best huevos rancheros on the planet at the Nuevo Chapala restaurant right next door!

JZ - 10-18-2020 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  

On another note, it sure would be nice if somebody could figure out the logistics and build a nice traveler's motel at the junction of hwy 1 and hwy 5. It would make for a nice distance to travel on the first day southbound. In the morning you could get the best huevos rancheros on the planet at the Nuevo Chapala restaurant right next door!

This so true.

[Edited on 10-30-2020 by JZ]

del mar - 10-18-2020 at 06:02 PM

or another motel or two in Gbay!:coolup:

David K - 10-30-2020 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
David you are right about highway 1 south of La Paz. That is a pretty drive, especially this time of year when everything is so, so green! But after two long hard days of driving, that four lane highway looks awful easy and relaxing to drive the rest of the way home.

Tom, if we all live long enough, it will happen! Heck, paving a road to Gonzaga Bay wasn't supposed to happen until Hell freezes over! Although 2020 is pretty close to that, I suppose? :lol:

RFClark - 10-31-2020 at 02:54 PM

We are now leaving for Todos Santos 11/4 going by way of HWY5 south to HWY1. It’s a 2 night drive and 3 days. It’s difficult to average more than 100KM/HR when you consider gas and food stops. A lot of HWY1 has no shoulder and 15” to 18” of drop off. The Trucks and buses drive fast and crowd the centerline. Night driving is problematic as there are bandits and deer when you get further south. Goats and cattle on the road are common as well. The signage is also bad. The paved roads stop abruptly at times with little or no warning! A spare tire and good flashlight are a must. Water, T.P. and hand sanitizer a good idea.

We’ll post here as we go if the “internet god” smiles on us! Stay safe!