BajaNomad

Is the new Bronco a Jeep killer?

JZ - 12-11-2020 at 03:15 PM

I'm gonna say yes. Just a more capable off road vehicle. So much off road stuff you can buy direct from the factory.

Plus they provide high end options like a 320hp engine and much more luxurious trim packages.

Doors come off about 5x easier. Jeep has basically sat on their engineering butts, and Ford just lapped them.

https://youtu.be/06oa3mncWgA

[Edited on 12-11-2020 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 12-11-2020 at 04:19 PM

Bronco has that look that will make it a popular chicks car and popular mall crawler for the socal suburbanites like those calabasas

John Harper - 12-11-2020 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing some more reviews. I haven't seen too many of the new Ford Rangers on the road and I think Ford really blew it by surrendering the market to Toyota when they stopped production for a few years. Even Chevy stayed in the mid size truck market and got a boost to their crappy trucks in the interim.

Happy Hanukkah!

John

[Edited on 12-12-2020 by John Harper]

advrider - 12-11-2020 at 06:55 PM

Looks interesting but I'm going to stay with the jeep Gladiator as my choice. Solid front axel, 4-1 transfer case and lockers all will work good for my use. I also like the bed and the ability to put on a camper shell and remove it when it's not needed.
Plus I'm dumbass loyal jeep guy so I look with my blinders on!!! I did enjoy the Gladiator test drive.

del mar - 12-11-2020 at 08:52 PM

forget the sales pitch give one to Harold and see what we get:light:

[Edited on 12-12-2020 by del mar]

There is no need for Ford to kill Jeep!

AKgringo - 12-11-2020 at 08:57 PM

Just let Jeep be at peace in the Fiat/Chrysler hospice care! ;)

[Edited on 12-12-2020 by AKgringo]

JZ - 12-11-2020 at 09:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Thanks for the information. I look forward to seeing some more reviews. I haven't seen too many of the new Ford Rangers on the road and I think Ford really blew it by surrendering the market to Toyota when they stopped production for a few years. Even Chevy stayed in the mid size truck market and got a boost to their crappy trucks in the interim.

Happy Hanukkah!

John

[Edited on 12-12-2020 by John Harper]

I've never been a Ford guy. Never bought one.

Think they going to do something special with this product line. Supposedly, leveraging the chassis into a new Ranger. We'll see.

bajatrailrider - 12-12-2020 at 06:54 AM

Hopefully the New Bronco engine is good and not fail. Time will tell seems like all brands recalls.

pappy - 12-12-2020 at 08:27 AM

Torque is where it’s at. What is that number for the bronco?

advrider - 12-12-2020 at 10:18 AM

Really wish the Gladiator would have offered the Hemi as an option, the Bronco is rated at a little more power then the jeep. Also I think the Eco Diesel is a bit of a dud in the Gladiator from what my friends say about them in the trucks.
It's a good motor but not a good choice if you are going to use it off road and going slow, it messes with the regin crap that's part of the emissions. Doing short runs doesn't get the motor and exhaust hot enough to burn of the particles like the computer want's!
Anyone drive the Bronco yet?

David K - 12-12-2020 at 10:30 AM

Both the Gladiator and the 4-door Wrangler should be getting a V-8 unless they can get the power from a V-6 as Ford has and uses on the Raptor (with 450 HP compared to Jeep's 285 HP).

PaulW - 12-12-2020 at 10:35 AM

Mainly because of the new Bronco the whole thing deal is evolvin.
Lots of pluses and minuses. For sure the Ford v6 and 10 speed is a huge plus due to it bullet proof drive train and track record based on the F150
A big minus for the Bronco would be all the electronics that comes from the Raptor. Otherwise lots of details to confuse comparison

Regarding a big v8 on either the Jeep or Bronco a whole new driver train is needed for reliability. That means a truck drivetrain is needed. Then it is no longer a Wrangler or a Bronco. Just buy a Ram or a f150 and be happy. Lots people already did just that.

advrider - 12-12-2020 at 12:53 PM

paulW, good point, the V8 would require one ton axles and other upgrades to keep from destroying everything in the drive train. IFS requires a lot of upgrading as well if your going to do any serious off-roading.

PaulW - 12-12-2020 at 02:04 PM

Currently both the Bronco and the Wrangler (including the v8 Wrangler) are all using the strongest M220 D44, front and rear. More torque will break those diffs either front or rear.
Everybody that upgrades Wrangler to V8 use D60 axle front and rear.

advrider - 12-12-2020 at 03:44 PM

Agreed, I run a Currie 60 in the rear of my v8 powered scrambler, the front 44 has chromoly shafts and has never been and issue but I'm also geared in the 200 to 1 range with both cases locked in and don't beat on my rigs.

JZ - 12-12-2020 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Bronco has that look that will make it a popular chicks car and popular mall crawler for the socal suburbanites like those calabasas

Do not disagree with this. It's sharp looking. Gonna get one for the wife. But, I'll take it to Baja.

Don Pisto - 12-12-2020 at 05:25 PM

unfortunately the factory pulled the plug on these cool donut doors :(

true they make no sense but what the heck if its just a mall crawler.....

[Edited on 12-13-2020 by Don Pisto]

advrider - 12-12-2020 at 05:27 PM

Agreed, I run a Currie 60 in the rear of my v8 powered scrambler, the front 44 has chromoly shafts and has never been and issue but I'm also geared in the 200 to 1 range with both cases locked in and don't beat on my rigs.

mtgoat666 - 12-12-2020 at 09:26 PM

The cyber truck will eat Broncos for lunch...

0-60 MPH <2.9 SECONDS
RANGE 500+ MILES (EPA EST.)
DRIVETRAIN TRI MOTOR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
STORAGE 100 CU FT
VAULT LENGTH 6.5 FT
TOWING CAPACITY 14,000+ LBS
AUTOPILOT STANDARD
ADAPTIVE AIR SUSPENSION STANDARD
GROUND CLEARANCE UP TO 16"
APPROACH ANGLE 35 DEGREES
DEPARTURE ANGLE 28 DEGREES

3 elec motors. More torque than 5 Broncos combined

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2020 at 09:47 AM

Its a good looking SUV that is priced lower than the Wrangler, but my wife prefers the Jeep.

HeyMulegeScott - 12-13-2020 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Its a good looking SUV that is priced lower than the Wrangler, but my wife prefers the Jeep.

It looks interesting. I doubt you will be able to buy the first year model for the sticker price. Dealers will add a markup.

I will be holding onto my Jeep for a long time.

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2020 at 01:24 PM

Another thing to add - the promotional videos obscure the suspension droop, which is a bit craptastic. The wheel well openings aren't big enough for tires larger than a 37". My Gladiator could run a 38" tire without a suspension lift on the street, for example. For the casual driver to National parks for something on mild to moderate trails, it should be fine.

PaulW - 12-13-2020 at 02:45 PM

I see a lot of 4 dr Jeeps on 37s doing the most difficult obstacles Moab has to offer. But the biggest tire Bronco has to offer is 35s - better than Jeep 33s.
The Gladiator is an anomaly which is really great.
Actually I have no idea of the strength of the Gladiator diffs. D44 M220s I think? Same as the V8 Jeep? and same as the best Bronco.
Having destroyed the D44/35s on my TJ I would want D60s myself with such big tires or such high torque as the V8?

Droop for the Bronco is totally unknown at this point. All the videos are from the promo bunch at Ford. No independent testing so far.

The Gladiator is on my list of top 3.

JZ - 12-13-2020 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I see a lot of 4 dr Jeeps on 37s doing the most difficult obstacles Moab has to offer. But the biggest tire Bronco has to offer is 35s - better than Jeep 33s.
The Gladiator is an anomaly which is really great.
Actually I have no idea of the strength of the Gladiator diffs. D44 M220s I think? Same as the V8 Jeep? and same as the best Bronco.
Having destroyed the D44/35s on my TJ I would want D60s myself with such big tires or such high torque as the V8?

Droop for the Bronco is totally unknown at this point. All the videos are from the promo bunch at Ford. No independent testing so far.

The Gladiator is on my list of top 3.

You can get 37's from the factory on the Bronco.

advrider - 12-13-2020 at 06:04 PM

I plan to run 35's on my Gladiator with just a leveling kit and don't for see any strength problems. It's not going to be a hard core rock crawler but I won't have a problem with taking it on the Rubicon or the mission trail out of Catavina.
Our Gladiator will see a lot of miles towing on the highway as well as mild off-roading so I will pass on the 37's even though I think it would hold up just fine.

PaulW - 12-13-2020 at 07:13 PM

JZ,
Yes, the warthog is speculated to have 37s, 35s for the rest of them. Lots of Ford videos on it running around. No pictures of the tires. Warthog does not exist so far. Speculation a new build & price link will be available in January and ordering can proceed then. Even then a detailed description will be needed before commiting to a unknown.
Trouble is the Warthog may not be what many people will desire. Many do not want a reduced size Raptor, but want a more universal application rig.
Wait a month and see.

Ken Cooke - 12-13-2020 at 09:29 PM

A Gladiator doesn't need a suspension lift or even a spacer lift to run 35's from the factory as the vehicle is, "Package-protected" to run 35's without any modifications made to the vehicle, per Jeep engineers. The Rubicon and Mojave D44's are said to handle some "hard use." Sean Holman at FOURWHEELER recently posted this photo, testing the Mojave and it's Fox 2.5 shocks and suspension for the FOURWHEELER pickup truck of the year test.

I asked Sean to push the Mojave as far as they could, so us owners would know what its Dana axles could do (without having to run the Artec axle housing truss or Dynatrack D44 front housing.

I'm running the base Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on my Gladiator, and it does just fine controlling the big 38's. My hoist is going to position an ARB roof top tent on it and when the weather warms up, take the wife out to the desert to do some overnight camping.

[Edited on 12-14-2020 by Ken Cooke]

JZ - 12-13-2020 at 09:37 PM

The Bronco is just a much better looking vehicle than the Gladiator.

And so many small details that are better, from the factory.

4x4abc - 12-13-2020 at 11:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

looks like G500 with the roof cut off

advrider - 12-14-2020 at 05:08 AM

I'm sure there will be a market for both, I like the truck look of the Gladiator over the SUV look of the Bronco.
If Toyota had something with a solid front axle they would be a front runner with the Gladiator for me. Some people like San Felipe, some don't! LOL....

mtgoat666 - 12-14-2020 at 06:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

looks like G500 with the roof cut off

G wagons are ridiculously high price, are priced only for posers.

New Land Rover looks better than the jeep or bronco.

David K - 12-14-2020 at 07:11 AM

Toyota 4Runner is the time tested 4x4 SUV and looks great, too.

BajaMama - 12-14-2020 at 07:50 AM

The Wildcat is a pretty sweet model. Hubby wants me to get one but it's already hard enough to get into his truck. Wild cat has 35" tires.

JZ - 12-14-2020 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
The Wildcat is a pretty sweet model. Hubby wants me to get one but it's already hard enough to get into his truck. Wild cat has 35" tires.

I think you mean Wildtrak. And yes, that is the one to get. Just beautiful and capable.

Black and Area 51 colors look really cool.

Mulege Canuck - 12-14-2020 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Maybe the old ones. Went out in the bush with a friend who had a new for 4 runner. I had my old F350, a real truck. I waddled through some soft sand and he followed me. He got stuck. He said he had his “settings” for the wrong type of road surface, WTF! What happened to four low and go.

The new Toyota’s are over priced all terrain shopping units. I hope this does not start a Toyota bashing thread, I hate those ......

David K - 12-14-2020 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Maybe the old ones. Went out in the bush with a friend who had a new for 4 runner. I had my old F350, a real truck. I waddled through some soft sand and he followed me. He got stuck. He said he had his “settings” for the wrong type of road surface, WTF! What happened to four low and go.

The new Toyota’s are over priced all terrain shopping units. I hope this does not start a Toyota bashing thread, I hate those ......

Sounds like driver error not Toyota error... even he said he set it wrong. Some sand in Baja still requires deflating the tires. You drive until forward motion slows to a stop and then stop.. don't spin the tires! Let the air out to 10-20 psi range, then drive with ease.