BajaNomad

Hike to Oasis Santa Maria from Gonzaga side

steekers - 1-28-2021 at 11:45 PM

Looking for some brave souls to accompany me on a photo mission hike up the Santa Maria wash from the Gonzaga side. Likely a 2-3 day mission. Planning for a weekend in March. I was at the base 3-4 miles in from the new road this last week doing some prelim aerial and ground photo work. Obviously you need to be in shape for boulder jumping. This should be a fun hike. Love to hear from you.:light:

David K - 1-29-2021 at 07:34 AM

OH BOY!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

2018-12.jpg - 92kB

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by David K]

David K - 1-29-2021 at 09:39 AM

I last hiked up the canyon in 1999, with the late Baja Mur. We hiked about a mile to where water pools were deep enough to take a dip, but not the pretty oasis seen on Internet photos (La Poza de Escuadra):

TMW - 1-29-2021 at 10:21 AM

If you need someone to see you off at the start and meet you at the Mission i'll volunteer. Take as long as you want.

David K - 1-29-2021 at 11:03 AM

You are always good for the ground support, Tom!
In this case, no mission, just a hike to the oasis in the canyon.
On the new TV show, The Last Mission, they go to the canyon edge (from the mission) and fly a drone to see the oasis below.

Your great support to help Roy, The Squarecircle, get across La Turquesa Canyon so he could climb that grade to Hwy. 1, was commendable! Steekers was also scouting out the root before Roy attempted it.

TMW - 1-29-2021 at 12:56 PM

How far is the mission from the the oasis. Real men would go all the way.

David K - 1-29-2021 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The trail down to the canyon bottom is about 2 miles east of the mission from the end of the bulldozed roadbed at the rim. It is the first El Camino Real route used before Serra ordered a better route made that stays out of the canyon.

From the rim, it is down down down to the canyon floor.
Google Earth path measuring tool can give you the exact distance.

advrider - 1-29-2021 at 07:52 PM

Wish I could get down there, I would love to do that hike... It's on the list of must see/do things in Baja.... Take lots of pictures. What would you guess will be the total mileage in and out?

[Edited on 1-30-2021 by advrider]

David K - 1-29-2021 at 08:14 PM

From where you can drive a 4x4, about 3-4 miles each way.

advrider - 1-30-2021 at 10:48 AM

Not a bad hike at all, I'm sure there is plenty of elevation gain and rock hopping to add in. It would be neat to camp near the oasis...

David K - 1-30-2021 at 11:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Not a bad hike at all, I'm sure there is plenty of elevation gain and rock hopping to add in. It would be neat to camp near the oasis...

It is a sandy-bottom arroyo at first... but boulders and brush prevent quads and motorcycles from going much further than a 4x4. It is hard to imaging that the first missionaries went this way on horses or mules. It is no wonder that Junípero Serra ordered a better road be made that stayed out of the canyon, after he arrived at Santa María in May 1769, on his journey to San Diego!

From 1999... up and over Arroyo Santa María:

David K - 1-30-2021 at 11:50 AM

Not far from where the road ended in the sandy arroyo, we enter the canyon on foot... I am pointing the way!

The next day, we asked Douglas to fly us over the canyon and the mission.
This photo is over the canyon entrance looking east to Punta Final. I am about at the bottom left corner of the photo in my pointing photo.

About a mile up the Santa María canyon we find pools of water.

Location of the pools, looking north.

This image is looking east. The bulldozed road is seen going to the canyon edge and the trail (first El Camino Real) continues down to the canyon bottom. The big osais (La Poza de Escuadra) is at the bottom of the trail or near it.

The mission from Doug's plane. View north.

Flying back to Alfonsina's, this photo is looking into the canyon where the big oasis is. Note the early El Camino Real on the left going down.

Well, even though we didn't hike the 3-4 miles to the big oasis, I found one just my size!

steekers - 1-30-2021 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

My goal is to get lots of close up photos. Use of my drone is key to getting an aerial perspective. I suppose I could fly over it in a real plane and get photos, but NOT the same quality. Getting 4K quality video and hi-res stills are a photographer"s goal.

The hike of 3-4 miles from base should not be that strenuous. Slight altitude gain. Just fields of boulders.

At base camp, a few will camp out and just hang around. Those who take the full hike might stay 1 night close to the pools. Goal: the pools, not the mission.

Planning the weekend of the 27th of March. That Sunday is the full moon.

[Edited on 1-31-2021 by steekers]

David K - 2-2-2021 at 10:25 AM

I would like to go... it has been 22 years since I last hiked in the canyon. I would like to see what has changed (besides me)!
This canyon is the original El Camino Real route of May 26, 1767 when Padre Victoriano Arnés moved his mission from Calamajué to Cabujakaamang, the Cochimí name for the new site of Mission Santa María de los Angeles.

On May 5, 1769, Junípero Serra (Franciscan president, and now Saint), came this way on his journey to San Diego from Loreto.
He began the day after overnighting at the waterhole of San Francisco (renamed San Francisquito, near Las Arrastras along the new Hwy. 5)

On the 5th I rose good and early, and by a most grievous road, which
they call [that of] the Caxon {Cajon},* arrived at about half-past eight of the morning at the Mission of Santa Maria de los Angeles. Here I encountered the Senior Governor with the Father Fray Miguel de la Campa; and part of the Retinue had already gone on ahead to Vila Catha [Velicatá], for the recuperation of the beasts, which there had grass that they lacked here. We were mutually glad to see ourselves already joined to begin anew our peregrination through a desert land populated only with Infidelity, with innumerable Gentiles.

* Cajon, a great box; a " box-canyon.

Serra later ordered a better route be made that stayed out of the canyon and kept to the hills on the north side of it.

It is the post-Serra El Camino Real that we hike on and have mapped:

The blue trail is Serra's cargo or Antelope Spring trail.

Don Jorge - 2-2-2021 at 06:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by steekers  
My goal is to get lots of close up photos. Use of my drone is key to getting an aerial perspective. I suppose I could fly over it in a real plane and get photos, but NOT the same quality. Getting 4K quality video and hi-res stills are a photographer"s goal.

The hike of 3-4 miles from base should not be that strenuous. Slight altitude gain. Just fields of boulders.

At base camp, a few will camp out and just hang around. Those who take the full hike might stay 1 night close to the pools. Goal: the pools, not the mission.

Planning the weekend of the 27th of March. That Sunday is the full moon.
[Edited on 1-31-2021 by steekers]

It is an easy day hike up the wash with time to lounge and lunch with some rock hopping to keep it fun. Before drones we would climb up the canyons to get the "aerial" perspective.

The main pool is deep enough for diving.
If one is doing the loop hike, choosing to go up and around on the north side and return down the arroyo from the mission, the easiest way to get around that series of pools is to jump in and carry on.

Attached are pictures of pictures we had blown up and framed, thus the poor quality. Sorry about that chief.

thumbnail-_1_-2.jpeg - 186kB

thumbnail.jpeg - 164kB

steekers - 2-2-2021 at 09:27 PM

Very nice shots Don Jorge. This place seems magical. I love all the different rock formations. Nice to have David come along. Looking forward to this trip. :bounce:

[Edited on 2-3-2021 by steekers]

aburruss - 2-2-2021 at 09:54 PM

I think the wife and I are a definite MAYBE. This is on her bucket list, and it would be a great trip.. AND the timing actually works out for us. Would a couple adventurous 9 and 10 year olds be able to do this? Would you be interested in a couple of awesome kids on this trip? :)

David K - 2-3-2021 at 06:22 AM

I want to go... and I am happy to provide as much logistical support as possible to steekers and others.
Until the Covid restrictions change, I won't go and risk bringing it back to my wife, who is high-risk.

TMW - 2-3-2021 at 05:21 PM

I got my first shot yesterday almost by accident.

steekers - 2-26-2021 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
I think the wife and I are a definite MAYBE. This is on her bucket list, and it would be a great trip.. AND the timing actually works out for us. Would a couple adventurous 9 and 10 year olds be able to do this? Would you be interested in a couple of awesome kids on this trip? :)

Why not. I don't mind at all. Better to have a small group. Thanks for the interest.

Maybe tunaeater or someone in his clan might go.

aburruss - 2-26-2021 at 05:33 PM

And.. because life is life... other things have come up which are going to prevent us from doing this the last weekend in March. Keep us posted if/when you do it again.

I look forward to a trip report! :)

steekers - 3-28-2021 at 09:54 AM

Unfortunately we did not make it all the way. Not exactly an "easy day hike". There were 4 of us, three of which are pure novices at this type of hiking. I warned them to wear hiking boots to support their ankles and one did but the other 2 instead wore tennis shoes. These two also had a frame less backpack carrying two sleeping bags, food water, etc., but the straps gave out so we decided to make this a day trip and get as far as we can, get some experience under their belt, then have enough time to turn around. With this limited time we had a blast! This is an awesome canyon. Despite the very busy Gonzaga area, NO one to be seen. The dirt road back in from the paved road is 3.7 miles, then the big boulders stop any vehicles. Awesome place to camp. Got some drone shots of the ECR trail above the canyon floor. Next trip in April and this time will make it all the way or bust!

David K - 3-28-2021 at 11:17 AM

Thanks for the report back Michael! I was expecting a call soon...

I also have some good news about the Temecula Museum collection.

As with all things, when the time is right!

pjpvi - 4-23-2021 at 01:51 PM

FWIW, I did this as a 1-day loop hike on March 31 this year. I way underestimated the intensity and length of the hike and under prepared. Only had a cereal bar, pb&j sandwich, and 48 ounces of water. Luckily it wasn't too hot.

I camped in the wash near the start. Hiked the El Camino Real trail in, looked for the mission site for a while (didn't quite go far enough to get to it though), then hiked up and down into the canyon where I then hiked back out to my camp.

My stats were 13.86 miles / 2,784 of total elevation gain / 5:30 of moving time (all according to Strava).

It was beautiful and very rugged. Unfortunately not a lot of water in the canyon (or maybe that was a good thing). I was beyond spent by the time I returned to camp but I made it!

Very glad I did it but wish I had been better prepared with nutrition and water.

David K - 4-23-2021 at 03:38 PM

Thanks for the report. Where the El Camino Real trail drops into the mission valley, you are about 1.5 miles from the mission. Just follow the auto road to it. Yes, it has been reported to be quite a hike and two days would be better than all in one.
My son and I got maybe 2/3 of the way to the mission from the canyon entrance road end, hiking El Camino Real. We ran out of daylight, should have started much earlier!
If you have more photos or your GPS track to share, that would be super!

steekers - 4-23-2021 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
FWIW, I did this as a 1-day loop hike on March 31 this year. I way underestimated the intensity and length of the hike and under prepared. Only had a cereal bar, pb&j sandwich, and 48 ounces of water. Luckily it wasn't too hot.

I camped in the wash near the start. Hiked the El Camino Real trail in, looked for the mission site for a while (didn't quite go far enough to get to it though), then hiked up and down into the canyon where I then hiked back out to my camp.

My stats were 13.86 miles / 2,784 of total elevation gain / 5:30 of moving time (all according to Strava).

It was beautiful and very rugged. Unfortunately not a lot of water in the canyon (or maybe that was a good thing). I was beyond spent by the time I returned to camp but I made it!

Very glad I did it but wish I had been better prepared with nutrition and water.

So did you stay in the canyon all the way to the water ponds? Sounds like you were up on the bluffs.

pjpvi - 4-23-2021 at 07:02 PM

Quote:

So did you stay in the canyon all the way to the water ponds? Sounds like you were up on the bluffs.

I went in up high on the El Camino Real trail and came out via the canyon.

Quote:

If you have more photos or your GPS track to share, that would be super!

I'll have to figure out how to post the photos and GPS track. Still kind of new to this forum.

pjpvi - 4-23-2021 at 07:17 PM

A few pictures from the days hike.

PXL_20210330_213311470.jpg - 222kB

PXL_20210331_133640685.jpg - 232kB

PXL_20210331_162259082.jpg - 220kB

PXL_20210331_164116965.jpg - 202kB

PXL_20210331_173549497.jpg - 232kB

PXL_20210331_190847725.jpg - 195kB

PXL_20210331_192321975.jpg - 245kB

PXL_20210331_201348325.jpg - 204kB

advrider - 4-23-2021 at 07:32 PM

WOW, looks amazing. I would love to do it the year after next, after retirement. Trail looks well used and I assume there would be water at the oasis if one took a filter? Maybe stay a night or two so you could really checkout the area.

pjpvi - 4-23-2021 at 07:33 PM

... and here is my track from the days hike. I had it set to log every 5 minutes.

I really wasn't sure I was on the El Camino Real trail until I got into the rocks of the mountain then it was very clear.

Attachment: Oasis hike.kml (223kB)
This file has been downloaded 218 times

pjpvi - 4-23-2021 at 07:38 PM

Quote:

WOW, looks amazing. I would love to do it the year after next, after retirement. Trail looks well used and I assume there would be water at the oasis if one took a filter? Maybe stay a night or two so you could really checkout the area.

It really was spectacular scenery and at least an overnight stay would make it much more enjoyable. Most all of the water was stagnate. I was really wishing I had my filter with me though as I got to a point of having to ration my water to get out. I bonked hard which was a little scary. Nothing guzzling water when I got back to camp followed by a nap in the hammock didn't take care of though.

Retirement is great! I highly recommend it!

AKgringo - 4-23-2021 at 07:55 PM

Thanks for taking me along with you (via photos) because I no longer have the cardio output, or knees to make a hike like that anymore.

David K - 4-23-2021 at 08:09 PM

Eye candy for Camino Real groupies!
Thank you!

steekers - 4-23-2021 at 09:04 PM

We were there at your vehicle camp spot just 2 days earlier! Hiked in about half way. Was going to stay the night but had some backpack issues.

From your track I see you came down from the top and didn't quite get to the large pools that have better water.

Curious how you got to your where your vehicle was parked? Via the wash, or through the gate at KM 159?

We are planning another trip there this month or early next month for an over night, so if you care to join us, great! Send me a U2U.

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by steekers]

pjpvi - 4-24-2021 at 07:31 AM

Quote:

Curious how you got to your where your vehicle was parked? Via the wash, or through the gate at KM 159?

We are planning another trip there this month or early next month for an over night, so if you care to join us, great! Send me a U2U.

I came through a gate not the wash. I dropped a pin for the gate on Maps.me last year but not sure what KM marker it is at. Must be 159.

I'd love to but after running around Baja for 6 weeks my wife advised me that I really need to get moving on the kitchen refresh project which I will still be deep into when you go. Thanks for the invite though and please let us know how it goes. Also say hi to Wilsondó at the camp. I knew it was time to go home when I was talking to him over a beer the evening after the hike! :)

PXL_20210401_002323418.jpg - 224kB

KMZ

David K - 4-24-2021 at 07:52 AM

Looks good... You hiked up the post-1769 El Camino Real, came within 1/2 mile of the mission, then turned around, hiked to the end of the bulldozed road (where the petroglyphs are), then went down the Indian Trail (which was the 1767-1769 El Camino Real), went up the canyon a bit to see the Pozo de Escuarda pool, then returned to your van in the canyon.

pjpvi - 4-24-2021 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

Looks good... You hiked up the post-1769 El Camino Real, came within 1/2 mile of the mission, then turned around, hiked to the end of the bulldozed road (where the petroglyphs are), then went down the Indian Trail (which was the 1767-1769 El Camino Real), went up the canyon a bit to see the Pozo de Escuarda pool, then returned to your van in the canyon.

I didn't know how much further the mission was and knew I had a long way back to camp so finally called it quits and turned around. Also didn't realize there were petroglyphs there. Maybe I'll see them next time.

4x4abc - 4-24-2021 at 08:40 AM

km 159 is correct

4x4abc - 4-24-2021 at 08:47 AM

you walked right past them

doc sacred petroglyphh.jpg - 326kB

David K - 4-24-2021 at 09:31 AM

Indeed... At the end of the bulldozed roadwork (where the Indian Trail drops down to the canyon bottom):

PaulW - 4-24-2021 at 09:46 AM

DK, Can you post the KMZ with the track?
Or email it tome
Thanks

David K - 4-24-2021 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
DK, Can you post the KMZ with the track?
Or email it tome
Thanks

pjpvi posted it in this thread, above... I got it from there:

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
... and here is my track from the days hike. I had it set to log every 5 minutes.

I really wasn't sure I was on the El Camino Real trail until I got into the rocks of the mountain then it was very clear.

Attachment: Oasis hike.kml (223kB)

[Edited on 4-24-2021 by David K]

PaulW - 4-24-2021 at 10:36 AM

Now I cannot find the Coordinates for the mission
Can you help?

David K - 4-24-2021 at 12:00 PM

Now I cannot find the Coordinates for the mission
Can you help?

Every mission's GPS is in my book as well as on my website.
If you don't have my book, your many contributions to Baja exploration has earned you one (u2ume your mailing address)!

Online at VivaBaja.com it is in the Spanish Missions section, part 4. Here is the direct link: http://vivabaja.com/missions4/

smacafee - 5-18-2021 at 11:35 AM

Has anyone here made it to the largest pool this year? PJPVI's track gets close but seems like he didn't quite get to the big pool. I did a similar hike in 2019 and ran out of daylight before we could get there.

I'm hoping to do this as an overnight in a couple of weeks and want to know if there's much water left there after the relatively dry year we've had.

Scott

[Edited on 5-18-2021 by smacafee]

oasis snip small.jpg - 306kB

4x4abc - 5-18-2021 at 01:15 PM

the big pool always has water

the only way to safely reach it is by leaving first light from however far you can drive

the "road" in from Santa Ynes is so chewed up by idiot drivers that I decided a couple of weeks ago right before Widowmaker not to continue.
I have rarely ever turned around.
We had a Ranger with only rear lockers and decided that this was no longer consumer grade driving.
Advertising the chit out of this place has definitely taken its toll

Attachment: Santa Maria.kmz (20kB)
This file has been downloaded 240 times

PaulW - 5-18-2021 at 01:29 PM

Thanks Harald
I value your effort to deal with the tracks.

advrider - 5-18-2021 at 02:05 PM

I rode it on my moto two years ago and it was a crazy climb back out, the kind where you don't want to make a mistake. I wouldn't drive anything in there that wasn't locked front and rear with some serious ground clearance. I would do it in my scrambler on 37's and 1 ton's but not in anything near stock or much smaller.
Not an easy place to get help or recovered from.

Nomads at The Widowmaker and The Bog, 2010 (HB Murphy videos)

David K - 5-18-2021 at 02:12 PM

Yes, but bad roads bring good people!

Our epic 2010 trip to Mission Santa María on video.

Three Tacomas, one 4Runner, one Dakota, and a 4x4 motorhome!

Video one is coming down the Widowmaker in the lead Tacoma.

Video two is my Tacoma followed by the rest of the gang, coming down the Widowmaker.

Video three is the first Tacoma going through the bog (be sure to have the volume up, as Zoom in the lead Tacoma is quite funny).

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw44OnITtRc
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqyAwt6CP8
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvjeiwTN48

4x4abc - 5-18-2021 at 04:45 PM

David,
10 years ago the road was easy
not any more

David K - 5-18-2021 at 05:57 PM

It has been a tough grade since my first time in 1999 when I gave it the name Widowmaker, after Mur and I both were tossed from our rides and spilled blood on the rocks!

The deep water in the bog was the worst part of our 2010 trip. My 2003 and 2007 trips were pretty easy with the Widowmaker being the toughest part as the water was shallow or below the sand on those trips.

[Edited on 5-19-2021 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 5-18-2021 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
…bad roads bring good people!

Nonsense.

AKgringo - 5-18-2021 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
…bad roads bring good people!

Nonsense.

The correct quotation is "Bad roads bring good people, and an occasional goat!"

4x4abc - 5-19-2021 at 12:01 AM

advertising bad roads brings destruction

mtgoat666 - 5-19-2021 at 06:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
advertising bad roads brings destruction

These days no one can have an “adventure” without posting their trip video online in a pathetic quest for “likes.” That’s why land owners put in gates/fences. Sounds like this area needs a good barrier to keep out the wanna-bes and lemmings.

4x4abc - 5-19-2021 at 07:23 AM

since the Mexican have discovered internet advertising lotsa people are going.too bad gates are killing it for all of
us.

geoffff - 5-20-2021 at 05:32 PM

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slqyAwt6CP8

Neat seeing that large campervan make it! Now I'm thinking I can do it in my van!

mtgoat666 - 5-20-2021 at 08:27 PM

since the Mexican have discovered internet advertising lotsa people are going.too bad gates are killing it for all of
us.

The gates are not the problem. People are the problem.

Gates only appear after people become a problem. Fix the people and gates won’t be necessary.

Big convoys of 4WDs driving irresponsibly (and often drinking) turns off landowners.

Tear up the land, leave trash, talk trash — results in gates.

advrider - 5-21-2021 at 06:47 AM

That is a cool picture but not at all what it looks like now, there are steps in the 3 foot plus size going back up now. Driving out a d parking before this hill and hiking would not be bad at all.

David K - 5-21-2021 at 06:59 AM

If it was easy then it wouldn't be called "Widowmaker"!

Geoffff, more photos in this trip page http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/
and in the big Nomad trip report from May 2010.

PaulW - 5-21-2021 at 08:49 AM

11 years for that historical drive. Easy to believe it is much different now.

David K - 5-21-2021 at 09:07 AM

11 years for that historical drive. Easy to believe it is much different now.

My friends drove to the mission and beyond just last October (to film The Last Mission)... It looked no harder in 2020 than in 2010. From about Minute 10:07 to 11:20 is a 4Runner, an FJ Cruiser, a Jeep Wrangler, and a Tacoma coming down the Widowmaker: https://vimeo.com/487608164

PaulW - 5-21-2021 at 09:54 AM

Sadly
So much for the hike discussion.

David K - 5-21-2021 at 09:58 AM

Well, this is in the Off-Roading forum and not the hiking forum, so hopefully we won't be banned! ;)

bajatrailrider - 5-22-2021 at 07:12 PM

Great pictures thank you I have not been there in years . David do you know Kacey smith lizard lady ? She rode with me a short while yesterday till she got stuck . She claims moto trail from bottom up knows who did it . She left this morning south .When she returns next week to me I will get details . I find that story hard to believe unless pulled motos with ropes 🤗

ehall - 5-22-2021 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I rode it on my moto two years ago and it was a crazy climb back out, the kind where you don't want to make a mistake. I wouldn't drive anything in there that wasn't locked front and rear with some serious ground clearance. I would do it in my scrambler on 37's and 1 ton's but not in anything near stock or much smaller.
Not an easy place to get help or recovered from.

We took 3 stock Rubicon all the way in December. Only one little scrape on a rock slider. Great fun.

4x4abc - 5-22-2021 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Great pictures thank you I have not been there in years . David do you know Kacey smith lizard lady ? She rode with me a short while yesterday till she got stuck . She claims moto trail from bottom up knows who did it . She left this morning south .When she returns next week to me I will get details . I find that story hard to believe unless pulled motos with ropes 🤗

the guy on the moto took video
it was up for some time
I think, it was more than one guy
video is no longer on youtube
they rode from Santa Maria to Gonzaga

Don Jorge - 5-23-2021 at 06:00 AM

I find that story hard to believe unless pulled motos with ropes 🤗

If you knew them you would believe it. Animals the lot.

The leader of the ride, if there can be such a thing, since this started as a hiking thread, put up a route with a friend to El Diablo via Cañon La Providencia.

First attempt left them short for time as more gear was needed than hoped for. Bivvied for a night, turned around, left gear in place for the return attempt. Return trip was a successful summit and exit via Cañon del Diablo. Gear is still in place if anyone wants to try it.

They did not use ropes to pull bikes but if they thought they would have needed them they could and would have done so.

Video is down because many have awoken to the simple fact that too many views equals too many birds pooping on the nest you built syndrome. Next thing you know you are rescuing some yahoos who are there because you showed them the way, guey. Ni modo.

David K - 5-23-2021 at 08:18 AM

Yes, I know Kacey, The Lizard Lady... She attended my first Viva Baja party, 21 years ago! I am not sure what moto trail (from bottom up) you are referring to? She is the one who published the La Turquesa Canyon shortcut track in her first book. She called it the 'XR Ride'.

Here is Kacey and the late Carlos Fiesta, at Viva Baja #1 in San Clemente, Oct. 2000:

I saw Kacey again at Alfonsina's, for Thanksgiving, 2 or three years later.

willardguy - 5-23-2021 at 09:41 AM

you don't have to be Taddy Blazusiak to conquer this trail you just need to be up for an adventure and be in shape. father and son neighbors with almost no two wheel experience made it down and back to Gbay from their house in Catavina, they did it on 2wd Rokons. they did have to use ropes.

4x4abc - 5-23-2021 at 12:30 PM

Rokons are hard to handle

rokon copy.jpg - 176kB

[Edited on 5-23-2021 by 4x4abc]

geoffff - 5-23-2021 at 10:54 PM

I have found it's very tricky to photograph a trail in a way that truly indicates how difficult it is to drive in real life. But if these stock (or nearly so) SUVs made it... It does look steep though!

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by geoffff]

David K - 5-23-2021 at 11:00 PM

Yes, stock with better tires, rear locker, min 9" ground clearance. See the tv show The Last Mission link I have posted, showing 4 nice 4x4s going to Santa María and back.

willardguy - 5-23-2021 at 11:35 PM

Rokons are hard to handle

[Edited on 5-23-2021 by 4x4abc]

not so,a little practice and they're a blast! and they'll crawl up the side of a building if you let em. :D

PaulW - 5-24-2021 at 07:08 AM

With time the road will change. With the increase if the number of rigs that use that track I am pretty sure the road gets worse.
How about a recent report?

AKgringo - 5-24-2021 at 07:34 AM

The damage from rubber tires is nothing compared to the rare, but always possible chubasco that dumps a foot of rain over a couple of days!

David K - 5-24-2021 at 01:38 PM

Here is the entire 20-minute show. Filmed in October 2020, released in March 2021 on Amazon Prime: The Last Mission

https://vimeo.com/487608164

4x4abc - 5-24-2021 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The damage from rubber tires is nothing compared to the rare, but always possible chubasco that dumps a foot of rain over a couple of days!

Chubascos don't move rocks
torque does
stupid drivers do

same lame argument on the Rubicon Trail
weather made it rough
then why did weather decide to only ruin the 10 feet wide section we call road and everything else looks healthy after snow, rain, hurricanes

David K - 5-24-2021 at 03:56 PM

You may want to rethink this part, Harald?

The road from San José de Magdalena to Mission Guadalupe comes to mind... but there are so many more places rocks are moved after heavy rains. Nature always wins, in the end!

4x4abc - 5-24-2021 at 04:48 PM

You may want to rethink this part, Harald?

The road from San José de Magdalena to Mission Guadalupe comes to mind... but there are so many more places rocks are moved after heavy rains. Nature always wins, in the end!

we are talking about the road to Santa Maria.
The Chubasco moves rocks on the road but not left and right of the road?