BajaNomad

Campo Rene

seaker236 - 9-20-2021 at 05:38 AM

any recent info on Campo Rene and or Punta Abreojos?

BajaBlanca - 9-20-2021 at 07:18 AM

Campo Rene is closed until????

What specifically do you need to know about Abreojos? Restaurants are open, hotels are open, life as usual.

Skipjack Joe - 9-20-2021 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

What specifically do you need to know about Abreojos? Restaurants are open, hotels are open, life as usual.

Is there a way to launch a tin boat into Coyote Lagoon without using the Rene launch Rene launch ramp?

Rossman - 9-20-2021 at 02:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Is there a way to launch a tin boat into Coyote Lagoon without using the Rene launch Rene launch ramp?

I was there in July and the chain gate was down and there was a watchman there 24/7 and he was allowing folks to use the ramp and dry camp for a price. Haven't heard any more recent reports.

BajaBlanca - 9-21-2021 at 07:45 PM

Found out today that someone recently (beginning of this month) was told NOT allowed to go in the lagoon.

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2021 at 08:17 PM

Found out today that someone recently (beginning of this month) was told NOT allowed to go in the lagoon.

Wtf?

Is that draconian rule applicable to tourists/gringos or all people?

AKgringo - 9-21-2021 at 08:21 PM

Did your informant say that the lagoon is closed, or just the access through Campo Rene?

Rossman - 9-22-2021 at 03:44 AM

Interesting. Once again the desires and rules of the Cooporativos can trump any federal laws. Have some friends who do a kayak fishing excursion to Punta Eugenia every year for over 10 years and this year their contact told them that the Co-Ops in Tortugas and Eugenia are not allowing any outside people to fish the waters up there.

BajaBlanca - 9-22-2021 at 05:34 AM

My understanding was that no one is allowed to be on the lagoon, fishing or boating.

mtgoat666 - 9-22-2021 at 08:54 AM

My understanding was that no one is allowed to be on the lagoon, fishing or boating.

why? fishing rights? covid? real estate dispute? protection of some endangered critter? or just plain crazy?

Skipjack Joe - 9-22-2021 at 09:33 AM

Does that apply to the La Bocana lagoon a well?

John Harper - 9-22-2021 at 09:38 AM

Maybe it's just being over utilized. Too many boats, people, etc. Wildlife, even aquatic life, does not thrive with constant disturbances from humans. Estuarine environments are extremely fragile and easily destroyed or disrupted.

Just look at all the different (and probably some new) whale watching and fishing operations that are competing over a very tiny resource. Lagoons can only handle so much exploitation. There's new air service to La Bocana advertised on weekend radio here in San Diego from a Cedros Island business. Everyone's trying to make a buck off the area now.

John

[Edited on 9-22-2021 by John Harper]

Paco Facullo - 9-22-2021 at 09:51 AM

This is a vary good thing.

There should be a moratorium for say, a 5 year span, to NOT fish in certain areas and/or certain species so as to not deplete them into extinction.
Of course the time span would depend on each species recovery rate.

But trying in get all the Countries of the world to agree is definitely impossible..

The world is screwed as long as we keep going the direction that w are.

Rossman - 9-22-2021 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  

Interesting. Once again the desires and rules of the Cooporativos can trump any federal laws.

What's your opinion about that?

Personally, I can see it both ways; a lot of times regulations established by burrocrats sitting on their duff in Mexico City, have little relation to what's actually happening out in the field.

Well I certainly understand it given the revenue that the co-ops bring to the table. I am honored to be a guest in this great country and as such I try very hard to abide by the rules and laws. I fish Campo Rene and the Punta Eugenia area more than a handful of times a year and would be a little miffed if I made the trip to be turned away at my destination. And I'm only traveling a couple hours. It's just some added confusion in a country that is already confused about the enforcement of any rule or law.

Skipjack Joe - 9-22-2021 at 01:39 PM

I think that the gill netting that took place over a decade ago at Coyote was devastating to the fish there. But they stopped that and I personally have not seen gill nets anywhere in the last 5 years.

Personally I don't think the spotted bay bass (which is what you mostly catch) are kept that much by sportfishermen. I just don't think there is enough meat on them to make much of a meal. The other two fish are halibut and corvina. The halibut are not that numerous and the corvina are a migrating fish that move in and out of the estero. I don't think it gets pounded that hard. Unlike L Manuela there are no large populations near it. The people in Abreojos and Bocana get their seafood locally. It's also a long drive from hwy 1. The Campo Rene people will not let you collect shellfish from the flats either. The situation is better than before.

I suspect that the closure is due to Covid. That's my guess.

SFandH - 9-22-2021 at 01:55 PM

Isn't there a property dispute of some kind at Campo Rene? Is it private property or Ejido property? Or is that the dispute?

BajaBlanca - 9-23-2021 at 05:14 AM

OPEN OPEN OPEN

The lagoon/ramp is now open for boats. NO restaurant and NO cabins.

I personally have not heard of any dispute - all this closure was due to COVID.

Howard - 9-23-2021 at 06:57 AM

Hi Blanca

Do you know if they are allowing RV camping? We are certainly prepared to pay for that if they do allow it. Might be passing through towards the end of October.

Take care!

David K - 9-23-2021 at 08:36 AM

Area of interest.
Campo René is on Estero el Coyote.

Road to La Bocana was paved after the map was made.
The 3,600+ foot-long landing strip, by Campo René, is also known under the name 'Bahía de las Ballenas'.

[Edited on 9-23-2021 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 9-23-2021 at 06:08 PM

Howard, I have absolutely no idea but my guess is no go to camping since the cabins are also closed.

You can hang out in front of our hotel and for $5 pperson have access to showers and bathrooms, internet and chats with Blanca and Les!

Skipjack Joe - 9-25-2021 at 03:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Hi Blanca

Do you know if they are allowing RV camping? We are certainly prepared to pay for that if they do allow it. Might be passing through towards the end of October.

Take care!

If you can't camp there then you could not leave your boat in the water by the launch ramp. You would have to launch and pull out every day you went fishing. Definitely less convenient.

westafricancaptain - 11-3-2021 at 05:25 PM

Just got back from Rene.
Arrived 3rd week of Sept and the overseer-er that is there 24/7 said it was closed. Dry camped alongside which was greenlighted from the oversee-er. Camped for a month for free. After a week the guys with the boats that have been going there for 30 yrs got special access and took 3 cabins and one of the hootches (50$).
The following week they opened it.
12.50 per cabin (up from 7.80$ 2 yrs ago), no internet, no restaurant, but hot showers and electricity. Saw the water truck show up also. Palapas for RV's probably same as cabins on price.
Bob from San Lucas Cove had his aluminum boat w/the 20 honda in the water for a week next to the ramp. Ramp looks good.
Lots of bird crap around the resturant

Corvina were running big. Got a dozen 6-7 #'s
Got snookered on the snook.
Best halibut 6 lbs

[Edited on 11-4-2021 by westafricancaptain]

Don Pisto - 11-3-2021 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by westafricancaptain  
Just got back from Rene.
Arrived 3rd week of Sept and the overseer-er that is there 24/7 said it was closed. Dry camped alongside which was greenlighted from the oversee-er. Camped for a month for free. After a week the guys with the boats that have been going there for 30 yrs got special access and took 3 cabins and one of the hootches (50$).
The following week they opened it.
12.50 per cabin (up from 7.80$ 2 yrs ago), no internet, no restaurant, but hot showers and electricity. Saw the water truck show up also. Palapas for RV's probably same as cabins on price.
Bob from San Lucas Cove had his aluminum boat w/the 20 honda in the water for a week next to the ramp. Ramp looks good.
Lots of bird crap around the resturant

Corvina were running big. Got a dozen 6-7 #'s
Got snookered on the snook.
Best halibut 6 lbs

thanks for the report, any much needed improvements done on the cabins?

[Edited on 11-4-2021 by Don Pisto]

David K - 2-10-2022 at 03:39 PM

An amigo asked for a way to contact Campo Rene to make a reservation. Their website is gone and the Facebook page is several months inactive. Anybody have any fresh data on them beyond what was posted here last November?
Thank you.

mjs - 2-10-2022 at 07:45 PM

End of January the road was flooded and didn't appear passible. At least not without a good run through the mud. Didn't look like anyone had tried. May have dried out by now.

mtgoat666 - 2-10-2022 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
An amigo asked for a way to contact Campo Rene to make a reservation. Their website is gone and the Facebook page is several months inactive. Anybody have any fresh data on them beyond what was posted here last November?
Thank you.

Isn’t this there website? http://camporene.com/index.html

I suggest you send an email or FB message to campo Rene if you want to know if they are open… operator may give you better info than people on the internet

AKgringo - 2-10-2022 at 08:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The website is from 2007. I clicked on the contact link, and came up with a 404 error code.

mtgoat666 - 2-10-2022 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

The website is from 2007. I clicked on the contact link, and came up with a 404 error code.

Then try Facebook. A lot of Mexico small biz uses FB as their website. Or call.

[Edited on 2-11-2022 by mtgoat666]

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2022 at 08:01 AM

The last we heard before we left 2 weeks ago is that the restaurant is still closed but you can stay for a small fee, which is collected every day.

David K - 2-11-2022 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for responding...
Goat, naturally I checked both website (dead as AK stated), and Facebook. I had sent my amigo the two phone numbers on Facebook. Was asking if Nomads had any newer contact since the Facebook page hadn't seen any activity this year.
Thanks Blanca, I saw that as well... I think my friend wants to reserve cabins, so was seeking the contact info.

Skipjack Joe - 2-11-2022 at 04:26 PM

It was open in December. Several people were staying in the campground and fishing. There was also an enormous wedding celebration on a Saturday with over a hundred in attendance. The groom looked joyful. The bride looked glum.

BajaBlanca - 2-12-2022 at 01:39 AM

Skipjack - are you saying the cabins were open????

Rossman - 2-12-2022 at 03:26 AM

Yes, cabins are open and available. Have friends there right now and and I'm headed down there again next week. No maid service so bring a broom and bedding. Hot water for showers but had to have a bucket of water for flushing last time I was there. The caretaker/watchman works for the local cooporativa so that might be a place to start to get information. Power when the genset is running but didn't seem to have any set schedule. As said before, no restaurant.

To answer Don Pisto's question, no improvement to the inside of the cabanas but the exteriors have been painted up in bright colors.

[Edited on 2-12-2022 by Rossman]