BajaNomad

Spanish Common Name for Hermit Crab?

bajajoaquin - 11-1-2021 at 11:43 AM

According to Google Translate, the translation of “hermit crab” into Spanish is “cangrejo ermitaño.” Is there an idiomatic common name in Spanish, or is that it?

pauldavidmena - 11-1-2021 at 12:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajoaquin  
According to Google Translate, the translation of “hermit crab” into Spanish is “cangrejo ermitaño.” Is there an idiomatic common name in Spanish, or is that it?

In Puerto Rico, a hermit crab is called cobito.

bajajoaquin - 11-1-2021 at 12:52 PM

Maybe I’ll ask around when I’m down there. I had hoped there was a singular common name like caguama rather than tortuga marina.

bajajoaquin - 11-1-2021 at 01:28 PM

Ok, thanks. The underlying want was to have a new name for the camper. Tortuga is taken. El Burro would be a nod to Ralph Hanc-ck but implies a lot more overland capability than is actually present. El Caracol would be good, but if there was a catchier name for hermit crab it would have been ideal.

bajajoaquin - 11-1-2021 at 04:15 PM

There are big labels on it from a previous owner that say “Cowabunga!”

My wife and kids want a name and I suggested Murphy as a nod to the surf origins of the phrase. But it doesn’t seem to have stuck. I’m just mocking it and calling it The Bunga, but my wife isn’t too happy about that. This is all odd since I have never named a vehicle before. But I’m trying.

Don Pisto - 11-1-2021 at 04:34 PM

HERMAN!

Patrón

John M - 11-1-2021 at 05:44 PM

Our doggie's name is Patrón - that might fit - or la Patrón - or el Patrón

Or none of the above

John M

boe4fun - 11-2-2021 at 07:58 AM

My wife and kids want a name and I suggested Murphy as a nod to the surf origins of the phrase. But it doesn’t seem to have stuck. I’m just mocking it and calling it The Bunga, but my wife isn’t too happy about that. This is all odd since I have never named a vehicle before. But I’m trying.

Actual origins of the word were from the 1950’s TV show Howdy Doody by the character Chief Thunderthud...

pauldavidmena - 11-2-2021 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
In Puerto Rico, a hermit crab is called cobito.
And a bus is a "guagua". Try using either in BCS and see how far we get. :lol:

I am very fortunate to know very little Puerto Rican slang; and what I do know, I would never use in BCS unless I wanted to face some random consequence.

bajajoaquin - 11-2-2021 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  

Actual origins of the word were from the 1950’s TV show Howdy Doody by the character Chief Thunderthud...

That’s really interesting. I had no idea. At least in surf mags of the era, it seems to have been co opted!