BajaNomad

Beach camping near Gonzaga

barcodemarco - 6-28-2022 at 08:14 AM

Good Morning Nomads,

I posted yesterday about a trip to LA Bay and got so much great info I thought I'd be greedy and ask for more!

If we were to stop somewhere between SF and Gonzaga for a few nights, is there a favorite beach area or camp that has good water access for kayaks and decent access to inshore fishing? Or would you just skip through and head straight to the bay? I have been up and down the 1 but zero experience south of SF on the 5 but it seems like there are nooks and crannies to explore.

Thanks!

3464james - 6-28-2022 at 08:46 AM

There are several options in the Gonzaga Bay area, Papa Fernandez would be my first choice as you have beach front camping, good shore fishing, kayak launching in back bay, good inexpensive food. Second would be Rancho Grande, convenient, palapas, pit toilet,showers at market, restaurant at market and at Alphonsinas, and close to market. After that their are several other choices including El Sacrificio; palapas, toilets, showers, restaurant. Punta Final, beach front camping not much else. Several other nice camping spots that provide palapas, toilets and showers just south of the market on the left. These are the ones I have tried. Enjoy, but it is going to be hot.

chippy - 6-28-2022 at 08:46 AM

Punta Final has good beach camping and yakking. I can´t say about the fishing.

David K - 6-28-2022 at 09:25 AM

See my guide for all the campos I visited to compare.

My map shows the places around Gonzaga Bay...

Don Pisto - 6-28-2022 at 09:37 AM

my vote is always for Beluga...

AKgringo - 6-28-2022 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
my vote is always for Beluga...

The only time I camped at Beluga was on a Mexican national holiday. It was busy, and loud!

I will try it again sometime, but I will check the calendar and web for holidays first. That goes for all of the camps in that area, so you may have to do some exploring if a quiet site is what you want.

barcodemarco - 6-28-2022 at 04:27 PM

Thanks! Sounds like some there are some good options there.

barcodemarco - 6-28-2022 at 04:29 PM

Beluga sounds good, but I do likes the looks of Punta Final. Seems like there is a lot more exploring and snorkeling down at the south end of the bay. Either way Alfonsinas sounds like a good lunch stop! Thanks again

wilderone - 6-28-2022 at 06:26 PM

You asked about camping between San Felipe and Gonzaga - as you can see in the map above, the places mentioned are in the Gonzaga Bay area.
David - show the map with the 20 or so camps between San Felipe and Gonzaga. I don't know about spending a few nights - but a couple nights and then moving on ... There are signs along the road - drive in and see how you like it. The shore fishing is about the same all along there, launching a kayak too. More important than a beach to launch from (no problem there), is the weather. Start early morning when it's calm. Stop by the San Felipe marina and look for the guys with pickups with a cooler - they're selling fresh fish or shrimp. Bring something for shade in case you don't end up in a place with a palapa. If you venture inland to explore, make sure you are prepared with water.

David K - 6-29-2022 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
You asked about camping between San Felipe and Gonzaga - as you can see in the map above, the places mentioned are in the Gonzaga Bay area.
David - show the map with the 20 or so camps between San Felipe and Gonzaga. I don't know about spending a few nights - but a couple nights and then moving on ... There are signs along the road - drive in and see how you like it. The shore fishing is about the same all along there, launching a kayak too. More important than a beach to launch from (no problem there), is the weather. Start early morning when it's calm. Stop by the San Felipe marina and look for the guys with pickups with a cooler - they're selling fresh fish or shrimp. Bring something for shade in case you don't end up in a place with a palapa. If you venture inland to explore, make sure you are prepared with water.

You bet... and for future reference, all maps are on VivaBaja.com where there is a Baja Maps section.

Here are San Felipe area and Puertecitos area maps I made that include camping campos:

All of my 2018-2021 maps, plus them all stitched together: https://vivabaja.com/davids-2018-maps/

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by David K]

David K - 6-29-2022 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 3464james  
There are several options in the Gonzaga Bay area, Papa Fernandez would be my first choice as you have beach front camping, good shore fishing, kayak launching in back bay, good inexpensive food. Second would be Rancho Grande, convenient, palapas, pit toilet,showers at market, restaurant at market and at Alphonsinas, and close to market. After that their are several other choices including El Sacrificio; palapas, toilets, showers, restaurant. Punta Final, beach front camping not much else. Several other nice camping spots that provide palapas, toilets and showers just south of the market on the left. These are the ones I have tried. Enjoy, but it is going to be hot.

In addition, there is El Pozo, an abandoned (in 2017) fishing camp and the road to it is at the north end of the Km. 143 bridge. Also, a road goes there from the road to Papa Fernandez' camp. That road passes a well, Pozo de los Frailes, believed by old-timers to date to the mission period. A warehouse used by the Franciscans and Dominicans was on the shore of Gonzaga Bay, between Papa's and Alfonsina's. Its outlines can still be seen.

Sign on Hwy. 5 at bridge:

Coast looking south at El Faro:

Pozo de los Frailes, modernized:

When the mission warehouse walls were still standing, late 1950s Howard Gulick photo:

Coyotes

AKgringo - 6-29-2022 at 08:00 AM

It sounds like you have spent enough time in Baja to be aware that coyotes are common visitors to all of the campsites we are discussing. I don't find them to be a problem, but they are looking for something to get into, and smaller pets may be at risk.

Even a larger dog will be at risk if it is foolish enough to chase a coyote back to the rest of a pack!

barcodemarco - 6-29-2022 at 08:48 AM

Good reminder on the coyotes, as we are bringing perros. Thanks for all the maps and pics, David. I could spend hours clicking around that stitched together baja map. Very cool stuff.

David K - 6-29-2022 at 08:56 AM

My pleasure Bar Code!
I see you live down the valley from me?:light:

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by David K]

Mulege Canuck - 7-1-2022 at 08:03 PM

If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must. Get up early so you can get back to camp before 1:00 so the northerly winds don’t kick your ass.

There are lots of gorgeous pocket beaches north of the camping area.

Enjoy!

Bajazly - 7-1-2022 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must.

Enjoy!

North? Big giant beach pretty much to Alfys... South, rock outcroppings and coves all the way to Bahia de Los Angeles.

Mulege Canuck - 7-2-2022 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must.

Enjoy!

North? Big giant beach pretty much to Alfys... South, rock outcroppings and coves all the way to Bahia de Los Angeles.

My mistake, I should have said south.

222C91DF-BD7D-48D9-8F1D-E0B4C935AB1E.jpeg - 324kB
This is a small pocket beach.

Lots of other nice little beaches in he “inlet” just south of the camping area.

barcodemarco - 7-6-2022 at 08:54 AM

Thanks. That's a cool looking little cove. What a find!

barcodemarco - 7-8-2022 at 08:21 PM

As it turns out, my caravan buddy backed out due to passport expiry issues with a few family members so we are going solo. Still going to do Gonzaga for a few nights and then probably continue on to the Pacific side to cool off. Looking at Vizcaino area. Been to Abreojos a few times but looking at something different, maybe Asuncion or Tortugas. Any recommendations from nomads on those spots, or others in the area? Would like to hire a panga for a fishing trip and just chill on the beach and surf fish. Will probably bring surfboards too.

David K - 7-8-2022 at 08:52 PM

Asuncion, see Shari at La Bufadora Inn.

mtgoat666 - 7-8-2022 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by barcodemarco  
…we are going solo.

Any recommendations from nomads on those spots, or others in the area? Would like to hire a panga for a fishing trip and just chill on the beach and surf fish. Will probably bring surfboards too.

Not sure I understand your pronoun, is “we” actually “solo?”

Anywho,…
Too hot in BCS in summer.
Suggest seven sisters coastline for summer beach camping.

barcodemarco - 7-8-2022 at 09:15 PM

Haha. Good point. Can’t be too loose with pronouns these days. Solo meaning I lost my caravan family. “We” is 2 adults, 2 boys and a dog.

AKgringo - 7-8-2022 at 09:23 PM

I did a "drive about" last November and passed through Bahia Tortugas on my way out to the tip of the cape. I spent a while checking out the town, but I did not really use any of the services in the town, other than one of the gas stations (there were three!}

I went from there to Bahia Asuncion, where I did spend a couple of days at Campo Sirena. I think you can find what you need there, unless you are looking for a place to go bar hopping!

tiotomasbcs - 7-9-2022 at 10:20 AM

Shari Bondy in BA Asuncion...lots of excellent information and fun. google /contact Will be cooler than Sea of Cortes.

barcodemarco - 7-20-2022 at 12:13 PM

Hola Nomads, Just returned from a wonderful week in Gonzaga Bay. Once out of Mexicali, the road trip was very enjoyable. We camped at the south end of the bay at punta final. The location was great for a beach camp (if you are totally self sufficient) and perfect to launch our dingy to explore the many secluded coves and beaches to the south. Did a ton of snorkeling, fishing, clamming and just enjoying the scenery and solitude. One cove had a resident owl that was flying about - can't recall ever seeing one in the middle of the day like that. In another spot we must have woke up a coyote as she kept barking at us from her den until we left. It was hot but we spent most of the time in the water, or under our shade and there was usually some type of breeze to cool things off a bit. Met a nice couple from Eureka who were camping next to us. They had a pair of pontoon oarboats that they would rig with sails in the afternoon. Very cool and packed down well. They left to head on to BOLA the day before we left.
We would up spending the entire week on the beach until it was time to come back on Saturday.

Cheers, Marco

willardguy - 7-20-2022 at 12:24 PM

great trip report gracias! tell us again, is it "bar code marco" or ""barco de marco?

barcodemarco - 7-20-2022 at 12:41 PM

Thanks - It's barco de marco, but I answer to barcode as well. I guess I should have pushed the space bar a few times. haha

barcodemarco - 7-20-2022 at 01:58 PM

Willardguy, Is your handle in reference to the Isla? While I was driving home I thought it looked like a good place to explore for my next trip.

willardguy - 7-20-2022 at 03:29 PM

Willardguy, Is your handle in reference to the Isla? While I was driving home I thought it looked like a good place to explore for my next trip.

yup I had a house at Papa's for a
dozen years.....now im on the cool side!

Mulege Canuck - 7-20-2022 at 07:59 PM

Hola Nomads, Just returned from a wonderful week in Gonzaga Bay. Once out of Mexicali, the road trip was very enjoyable. We camped at the south end of the bay at punta final. The location was great for a beach camp (if you are totally self sufficient) and perfect to launch our dingy to explore the many secluded coves and beaches to the south. Did a ton of snorkeling, fishing, clamming and just enjoying the scenery and solitude. One cove had a resident owl that was flying about - can't recall ever seeing one in the middle of the day like that. In another spot we must have woke up a coyote as she kept barking at us from her den until we left. It was hot but we spent most of the time in the water, or under our shade and there was usually some type of breeze to cool things off a bit. Met a nice couple from Eureka who were camping next to us. They had a pair of pontoon oarboats that they would rig with sails in the afternoon. Very cool and packed down well. They left to head on to BOLA the day before we left.
We would up spending the entire week on the beach until it was time to come back on Saturday.

Cheers, Marco

Glad you enjoyed Punta Final. We always camp there on our way to Mulege. On our first visit there, the bay was full of a school of Hammerheads. It was amazing to see them from the kayak. I still don’t have the heuvos to spearfish there yet 😎

barcodemarco - 7-21-2022 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Mulege. Sure am glad you didn't tell me the hammerhead story before my trip. :lol:

AKgringo - 7-21-2022 at 03:12 PM

I have told this story before, but it seems like a good fit here again.

I spent a night car camping on a bluff overlooking a cove on the north edge of the Cabo Pulmo Preserve. I planned on snorkeling there the next morning.

Not too long after sunrise, a couple of fishermen showed up and started casting from the rocks. One of them hooked a huge Roosterfish that I am sure would have spooled him with a long, strong run!

Just before he ran out of line, a shark hit the Roosterfish, and the fisherman reeled in a still live fish that was bit in half right behind the dorsal fin!

I have no idea what it would have been like snorkeling there that day.

barcodemarco - 7-21-2022 at 03:18 PM

Justified or not, they were always on my list of Tiburon to be feared, along with Great Whites and Tigers, but we don't have to worry too much about the latter. Dig your Cormac quote. One of my favorite authors. The Border Trilogy is epic.