Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Beach camping near Gonzaga
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 08:14 AM
Beach camping near Gonzaga

Good Morning Nomads,

I posted yesterday about a trip to LA Bay and got so much great info I thought I'd be greedy and ask for more!

If we were to stop somewhere between SF and Gonzaga for a few nights, is there a favorite beach area or camp that has good water access for kayaks and decent access to inshore fishing? Or would you just skip through and head straight to the bay? I have been up and down the 1 but zero experience south of SF on the 5 but it seems like there are nooks and crannies to explore.

Thanks!
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 08:46 AM

There are several options in the Gonzaga Bay area, Papa Fernandez would be my first choice as you have beach front camping, good shore fishing, kayak launching in back bay, good inexpensive food. Second would be Rancho Grande, convenient, palapas, pit toilet,showers at market, restaurant at market and at Alphonsinas, and close to market. After that their are several other choices including El Sacrificio; palapas, toilets, showers, restaurant. Punta Final, beach front camping not much else. Several other nice camping spots that provide palapas, toilets and showers just south of the market on the left. These are the ones I have tried. Enjoy, but it is going to be hot.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 08:46 AM

Punta Final has good beach camping and yakking. I can´t say about the fishing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 09:25 AM

See my guide for all the campos I visited to compare.

My map shows the places around Gonzaga Bay...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 09:37 AM

my vote is always for Beluga...

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 09:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
my vote is always for Beluga...

The only time I camped at Beluga was on a Mexican national holiday. It was busy, and loud!

I will try it again sometime, but I will check the calendar and web for holidays first. That goes for all of the camps in that area, so you may have to do some exploring if a quiet site is what you want.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 04:27 PM

Thanks! Sounds like some there are some good options there.
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 04:29 PM

Beluga sounds good, but I do likes the looks of Punta Final. Seems like there is a lot more exploring and snorkeling down at the south end of the bay. Either way Alfonsinas sounds like a good lunch stop! Thanks again
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2022 at 06:26 PM

You asked about camping between San Felipe and Gonzaga - as you can see in the map above, the places mentioned are in the Gonzaga Bay area.
David - show the map with the 20 or so camps between San Felipe and Gonzaga. I don't know about spending a few nights - but a couple nights and then moving on ... There are signs along the road - drive in and see how you like it. The shore fishing is about the same all along there, launching a kayak too. More important than a beach to launch from (no problem there), is the weather. Start early morning when it's calm. Stop by the San Felipe marina and look for the guys with pickups with a cooler - they're selling fresh fish or shrimp. Bring something for shade in case you don't end up in a place with a palapa. If you venture inland to explore, make sure you are prepared with water.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 07:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
You asked about camping between San Felipe and Gonzaga - as you can see in the map above, the places mentioned are in the Gonzaga Bay area.
David - show the map with the 20 or so camps between San Felipe and Gonzaga. I don't know about spending a few nights - but a couple nights and then moving on ... There are signs along the road - drive in and see how you like it. The shore fishing is about the same all along there, launching a kayak too. More important than a beach to launch from (no problem there), is the weather. Start early morning when it's calm. Stop by the San Felipe marina and look for the guys with pickups with a cooler - they're selling fresh fish or shrimp. Bring something for shade in case you don't end up in a place with a palapa. If you venture inland to explore, make sure you are prepared with water.

You bet... and for future reference, all maps are on VivaBaja.com where there is a Baja Maps section.

Here are San Felipe area and Puertecitos area maps I made that include camping campos:

All of my 2018-2021 maps, plus them all stitched together: https://vivabaja.com/davids-2018-maps/

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 3464james  
There are several options in the Gonzaga Bay area, Papa Fernandez would be my first choice as you have beach front camping, good shore fishing, kayak launching in back bay, good inexpensive food. Second would be Rancho Grande, convenient, palapas, pit toilet,showers at market, restaurant at market and at Alphonsinas, and close to market. After that their are several other choices including El Sacrificio; palapas, toilets, showers, restaurant. Punta Final, beach front camping not much else. Several other nice camping spots that provide palapas, toilets and showers just south of the market on the left. These are the ones I have tried. Enjoy, but it is going to be hot.

In addition, there is El Pozo, an abandoned (in 2017) fishing camp and the road to it is at the north end of the Km. 143 bridge. Also, a road goes there from the road to Papa Fernandez' camp. That road passes a well, Pozo de los Frailes, believed by old-timers to date to the mission period. A warehouse used by the Franciscans and Dominicans was on the shore of Gonzaga Bay, between Papa's and Alfonsina's. Its outlines can still be seen.

Sign on Hwy. 5 at bridge:

Coast looking south at El Faro:

Pozo de los Frailes, modernized:

When the mission warehouse walls were still standing, late 1950s Howard Gulick photo:

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 08:00 AM
Coyotes

It sounds like you have spent enough time in Baja to be aware that coyotes are common visitors to all of the campsites we are discussing. I don't find them to be a problem, but they are looking for something to get into, and smaller pets may be at risk.

Even a larger dog will be at risk if it is foolish enough to chase a coyote back to the rest of a pack!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 08:48 AM

Good reminder on the coyotes, as we are bringing perros. Thanks for all the maps and pics, David. I could spend hours clicking around that stitched together baja map. Very cool stuff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2022 at 08:56 AM

My pleasure Bar Code!
I see you live down the valley from me?:light:

[Edited on 6-29-2022 by David K]

Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 08:03 PM

If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must. Get up early so you can get back to camp before 1:00 so the northerly winds don’t kick your ass.

There are lots of gorgeous pocket beaches north of the camping area.

Enjoy!
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-1-2022 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must.

Enjoy!

North? Big giant beach pretty much to Alfys... South, rock outcroppings and coves all the way to Bahia de Los Angeles.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2022 at 11:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
If you are into kayaking, Punta Final is a must.

Enjoy!

North? Big giant beach pretty much to Alfys... South, rock outcroppings and coves all the way to Bahia de Los Angeles.

My mistake, I should have said south.

222C91DF-BD7D-48D9-8F1D-E0B4C935AB1E.jpeg - 324kB
This is a small pocket beach.

Lots of other nice little beaches in he “inlet” just south of the camping area.

barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2022 at 08:54 AM

Thanks. That's a cool looking little cove. What a find!
barcodemarco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2022 at 08:21 PM

As it turns out, my caravan buddy backed out due to passport expiry issues with a few family members so we are going solo. Still going to do Gonzaga for a few nights and then probably continue on to the Pacific side to cool off. Looking at Vizcaino area. Been to Abreojos a few times but looking at something different, maybe Asuncion or Tortugas. Any recommendations from nomads on those spots, or others in the area? Would like to hire a panga for a fishing trip and just chill on the beach and surf fish. Will probably bring surfboards too.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2022 at 08:52 PM

Asuncion, see Shari at La Bufadora Inn.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.