BajaNomad

Traveling with dogs

pauldavidmena - 7-31-2023 at 07:52 AM

A recent thread about restraining one's dog at checkpoints reminded me of the challenges of trying to plan a vacation to Baja from our home on Cape Cod without having to leave our pooch behind. Today I decided to blog about it.

SFandH - 7-31-2023 at 08:30 AM

That's a tough situation. It's a long drive but I know a couple East Coasters that do it. I also know folks that regularly fly from Seattle to Loreto with a large dog.

pauldavidmena - 7-31-2023 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
That's a tough situation. It's a long drive but I know a couple East Coasters that do it. I also know folks that regularly fly from Seattle to Loreto with a large dog.

I'm not sure we could make the diagonal cross-country drive in less than a week (one way), so it might be something we can't do while my wife is still working. On the other hand, flying seems feasible: we'd likely have to fly Alaska Airlines from Boston to Seattle, spend the night there, and then fly from Seattle to Loreto or Cabo the next day.

Our dog weighs 42 pounds - way too big to put in a carrier in front of us, but not huge. She loves car rides, but we have no idea how she would do on a plane, but that's what gabapentin is for.

AKgringo - 7-31-2023 at 10:04 AM

I had a wonderful dog that was almost seven years old the first time I needed to put her in a kennel for a trip from AK to CA. She did not do well, even with a tranquilizer, and repeated trips were not too much better.

To avoid that problem with the girl I have now, from day one of her living with me I used an airline kennel as her bed in my home. The very first time I flew with her she had a familiar "safe spot" for the trip and flying has not been a problem with her.

I understand that dogs have personalities as diverse as humans, and it may not work for you, but it is worth a try!

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 10:17 AM

Get your dog certified as therapy dog and it can fly in cabin at your feet.

surabi - 7-31-2023 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Wrong. And please don't encourage this.

Airlines have cracked down on what dog owners claim is an "emotional support' animal, which 90% of them are not- people just want to bring Fluffy with them everywhere.

Only actual service dogs, those who provide actual tasks for their handlers, like seeing eye dogs, are allowed in the passenger area.

And there is no "certification" for either emotional support or service animals. Those who want to take "emotional support" aka pets, with them often buy "certificates" online, which require nothing but payment. They are totally bogus.

These folks do a huge disservice and show disrespect to the handicapped who actually need service dogs, which are highly trained to perform specific tasks, and help the handler to navigate daily life.

Real service dogs are pretty much always with their handler, do not have "accidents" indoors, do not cause any damages to property, chew things up or scratch doors, are instantly obedient to the commands they have been taught, don't ever bark uncontrollably, etc.

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Wrong. And please don't encourage this.

Airlines have cracked down on what dog owners claim is an "emotional support' animal, which 90% of them are not- people just want to bring Fluffy with them everywhere.

Only actual service dogs, those who provide actual tasks for their handlers, like seeing eye dogs, are allowed in the passenger area.

And there is no "certification" for either emotional support or service animals. Those who want to take "emotional support" aka pets, with them often buy "certificates" online, which require nothing but payment. They are totally bogus.

These folks do a huge disservice and show disrespect to the handicapped who actually need service dogs, which are highly trained to perform specific tasks, and help the handler to navigate daily life.

Real service dogs are pretty much always with their handler, do not have "accidents" indoors, do not cause any damages to property, chew things up or scratch doors, are instantly obedient to the commands they have been taught, don't ever bark uncontrollably, etc.

I would prefer my pet be in the cabin rather than in cargo where airlines lose or injure pets. A clean, well behaved pet in the cabin is ok. Why not have pets in cabin? I see no reason to not have pets in cabin.

AKgringo - 7-31-2023 at 11:26 AM

On a flight not too long ago, there was a DEA agent and his dog onboard. They weren't checking anything, they were passengers. The dog had his own seat.

surabi - 7-31-2023 at 11:55 AM

I would prefer my pet be in the cabin rather than in cargo where airlines lose or injure pets. A clean, well behaved pet in the cabin is ok. Why not have pets in cabin? I see no reason to not have pets in cabin.

Of course, every pet owner would "prefer" to have their pet in the cabin with them. Many people have a sense of entitlement.

How do you propose the airlines would know if the animal was "clean and well-behaved"? (Every dog owner claims their dog is well-behaved, even when it definitely isn't)

You see no reason not to have pets in the cabin? Are you unaware that some people have severe allergies to dogs or cats? That some people are afraid of them?

I've had dogs all my life and would never impose them on other people. If a dog is tramatized by being transported in a kennel, dog owners should drive or find a pet sitter or pay to board their pet.

JZ - 7-31-2023 at 12:00 PM

Of course, every pet owner would "prefer" to have their pet in the cabin with them. Many people have a sense of entitlement.

How do you propose the airlines would know if the animal was "clean and well-behaved"? (Every dog owner claims their dog is well-behaved, even when it definitely isn't)

You see no reason not to have pets in the cabin? Are you unaware that some people have severe allergies to dogs or cats? That some people are afraid of them?

I've had dogs all my life and would never impose them on other people. If a dog is tramatized by being transported in a kennel, dog owners should drive or find a pet sitter or pay to board their pet.

Wow, you hate men, and now we learn you hate dogs?? :(:(

JZ - 7-31-2023 at 12:02 PM

pauldavidmena - 7-31-2023 at 12:32 PM

Our dog is a "Red Heeler," a.k.a. Australian Cattle Dog, a.k.a. velociraptor. She is smart, but also full of energy and highly reactive. As much as we'd rather have her near us (and vice versa) the other passengers might not share our view.

surabi - 7-31-2023 at 12:37 PM

You think we need to see the same photos of your dog multiple times?
And how do you translate "I've had dogs all my life" to "you hate dogs"? What's wrong with you?

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 12:39 PM

Well, we don’t even know if the the human customers are clean and well-behaved. I have shared a plane cabin with many a human that behaves worse and smells worse than my poorly-trained mutts.

I think if the customer demand for pet travel is there, and it appears to be so, then the airlines can find a way to accommodate pets in cabin. History has shown that pets in cargo are often injured, lost, killed, traumatized…

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

Our dog is a "Red Heeler," a.k.a. Australian Cattle Dog, a.k.a. velociraptor. She is smart, but also full of energy and highly reactive. As much as we'd rather have her near us (and vice versa) the other passengers might not share our view.

Get a roomy row (splurge for 1st class or extended leg room), just you and your dog, no need to share immediate row space with strangers.

surabi - 7-31-2023 at 01:17 PM

Being in a different row isn't going to make things okay for people with severe pet allergies. Why are you advocating for dog owners to be disrespectful and only care about themselves?

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 01:30 PM

Being in a different row isn't going to make things okay for people with severe pet allergies. Why are you advocating for dog owners to be disrespectful and only care about themselves?

Why are you suggesting that planes cant accommodate all? Allergic people can be seated some distance away, take an antihistamine, and bob’s your uncle!

Don Pisto - 7-31-2023 at 02:06 PM

put em in baggage with the angry drunks and let em bark at each other.

pauldavidmena - 7-31-2023 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
put em in baggage with the angry drunks and let em bark at each other.

I like the idea of putting Poppy in first class with the angry drunks!

AKgringo - 7-31-2023 at 03:00 PM

I would be honored to share a row of seats with you and Poppy if I was on your flight. My dog is too large and prone to excitabilty to even think about about buying her a seat.

About five years ago, my neighbor adopted a pup and for lack a good name she just started calling it Puppy until she could think of something. I suggested calling her Poppy instead, but it never caught on.

SFandH - 7-31-2023 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

I'm not sure we could make the diagonal cross-country drive in less than a week (one way), so it might be something we can't do while my wife is still working.

Well, here's the solution; it's time for your wife to retire so the three of you can leisurely drive to and around Baja. From a Class A motorhome to a comfy SUV towing a small travel trailer, whatever style you choose.

Just do it!

pauldavidmena - 7-31-2023 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would be honored to share a row of seats with you and Poppy if I was on your flight. My dog is too large and prone to excitabilty to even think about about buying her a seat.

About five years ago, my neighbor adopted a pup and for lack a good name she just started calling it Puppy until she could think of something. I suggested calling her Poppy instead, but it never caught on.

We just learned that Poppy came from a breeder in Arkansas who called her "Sparkle." She was sold to what turned out to be a backyard breeder in Mississippi her renamed her "Poppy" at 8 weeks old. The new owner was the target of an animal abuse case that resulted in her arrest in December 2022. Poppy was in and out of shelters and foster care until we adopted her in February 2023. Needless to say, she's still trying to figure out how to be a dog in a household environment. Being on an airplane could be very interesting...

CaboMagic - 7-31-2023 at 05:36 PM

pauldavidmena - Sharing in hopes this helps.

25 or so years ago, we regularly were driving the peninsula for numerous reasons, with our fur-babies.

In 1997 we needed to fly -- with Roxy and Opus [pictured with her "don't even think about leaving without me" face on!]

Well in advance of the trip, we purchased (2) kennels. One large one for Roxy and a small one for Opus. We put some pillows and towels in each and left them open for the girls to explore.

At night-time, or naptime, they regularly snuggled. So when Roxy ventured into the larger kennel, Opus followed her. Soon enough we would find them sleeping in it together. When it came time to travel, we decided to put them together. It worked out. They needed a little extra lovin' after the flight, and I was prepared with water for them.

Our Vet said do not give them tranquilizers saying they tend to make pets more anxious.

Alaska Airlines is awesome when it comes to flying with pets in kennels. They do require you make a reservation because they have limits to how many kennels they will allow on a flight. If you were able to fly NON-Stop to San Diego, rather than Seattle --
the non-stop flight from San Diego to Cabo is much shorter. And this way you would not have two very long back-to-back flight trips for your fur-babe. They came to me and advised when the kennel was loaded on, and said the dog and cat looked perfectly fine.

Whatever you do, wishing you pleasant travels.
Lori

Us and Roxy and Opus collage.jpg - 64kB

surabi - 7-31-2023 at 07:30 PM

Always check with airline first, though. Most airlines won't accept cargo animals during hot summer months.

When I flew Viva Aerobus from Guadalajara to La Paz once, they were great. When I checked in with her, the guy at the flight desk told me they wouldn't be boarding her for 45 minutes, so I could take her out for a walk until then, so she didn't have to be in the kennel any longer than necessary.
And they didn't put her in cargo with the bags- they had another area, climate controlled, under the c-ckpit.

And very true about not giving the dog tranks. I gave mine a valium, and it had the opposite to the desired effect.

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 7-31-2023 at 07:45 PM

I like animals better than people

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 8-1-2023 by mtgoat666]

stillnbaja - 7-31-2023 at 08:18 PM

yeah I don't know anything about the dog deal but im betting that gentleman and I visit the same barber.....

pauldavidmena - 8-1-2023 at 05:09 AM

In 1996, I moved from Minnesota to Massachusetts with two cats. I had heard that the now-defunct Northwest Airlines had the best setup for pets, and indeed they were in a separate, climate controlled part of the plane below the c-ckpit. When I arrived at Logan Airport, the cats were exhausted but glad to be freed from their crates in my apartment.

We have some limited experience with tranquilizing dogs, and none of it involves air travel. Our late dog Tito hated the vet so much it elevated his vital signs and put the staff at risk. We were given a "chill protocol" to administer to him several hours before the appointment. The result was a rubber-legged rag doll who had to be carried into the office. We didn't do that again.

In trying to address some of Poppy's unwanted behavior, including occasional aggression toward me, the same vet suggested some sedation. It mellowed her out, but didn't change the behavior. In fact she seemed a bit agitated that she was less "present" than usual. We stopped using the drug and have focused on behavior modification.

Needless to say, we couldn't pass her off as a service dog!

karenintx - 8-1-2023 at 10:12 AM

Here is a great video explanation about animals traveling in the cargo section on planes. Sadly due to all the fake service animal vest/certificates that can be bought online, airlines have now cracked down and are now requiring further documentation.

One thing not mentioned in the video...it is against FAA regulations for a passenger traveling with an in-cabin pet to sit on the emergency row exit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tZMJU-HB4